What will you be doing in 17 years?????

dumboiu

DIS Veteran
LONDON (July 24) - A massive asteroid could hit Earth in just 17 years' time, destroying life as we know it, a British space expert said on Wednesday.

The asteroid -- the most threatening object ever detected in space -- is 1.2 miles wide and apparently on a direct collision course with Earth.

"Objects of this size only hit the Earth every one or two million years," said Dr Benny Peiser, an asteroid expert at Liverpool John Moore's University in northern England.

"In the worst case scenario, a disaster of this size would be global in its extent, would create a meltdown of our economic and social life, and would reduce us to dark age conditions," he told Reuters.

But Peiser and other space experts say they are pretty confident this nightmare scenario will not come about.

"This thing is the highest threat that has been catalogued, but the scale in terms of the threat keeps changing," said Peter Bond, spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society.

"If it did hit the Earth it would cause a continental-size explosion...but it is a fairly remote possibility."

The asteroid -- named 2002 NT7 -- was first detected earlier this month by the United States Linear sky survey program.

Since then, Peiser said scientists at the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) near-Earth objects team and at Pisa University in Italy have carried out orbit calculations to work out the probability and potential date of impact to define the risk it poses.

Their calculations show it could hit the earth on February 1, 2019.

"The impact probability is below one in a million, but because the first impact date is so early -- only 17 years from now -- and the object is very large, it's been rated on the impact risk Palermo Scale as a positive," Peiser said. "It is the first object which has ever hit a positive rating."

Scientists warn, however, that the risk rating has not been reviewed by the International Astronomical Union, which is the main international body responsible for announcing such risks.

Peiser said 2002 NT7 would continue to be monitored by space experts across the world, and that over time, these observations would probably erase the threat posed by it.

"In all likelihood, in a couple of months additional observations will eliminate this object from the list of potential impacts," he said. "I am very confident that additional observations over time will...show that it is actually not on a collision course with Earth."

But he warned that the world should take this as wake-up call and set about preparing for the reality of an asteroid hit in the future.

"Sooner or later -- and no one can really tell us which it will be -- we will find an object that is on a collision course. That is as certain as "Amen" in church. And eventually we will have to deflect an object from its collision course," he said.

At the moment, he added, scientists fear it could take at least 30 years for the world to be able to devise and set up a mission to deal with such a threat -- a timescale which would be woefully inadequate if the 2019 strike were to happen.

That's weird you are asking this because I just heard that on CNN and asked the EXACT question to my 22 yr. old DS. He shrugged his shoulders and said 'I dunno'.:rolleyes: That's youth for you......takin' day at a time!!! LOL

Interesting, I don't I'm going to worry all that much just yet, though ;)

Originally posted by nativetxn
Interesting, I don't I'm going to worry all that much just yet, though ;)

Well.........I think we should at least "think" about it...........since if the possibility of a catastrophe is real, then we have 17 years to figure out how to avert it...............

I recall the early 50's movie, When Worlds Collide, when Bellus and Zyra were on a collision course with earth. One of my favorite movies from then. They built a spaceship to escape to a new world.

64ramp.jpg

It seems as though the scientists are not that concerned about this one though. At least from reading the above.

I guess I am not too worried about this one either... they said it was a small possibility and possibly in a few months some one will recalculate this and find out it will miss the earth by millions of miles.

AUGH! :eek: I just keep thinking about those movies with asteroids.... Deep Impact and such. Wonder if we need people to go up there and plant nukes on the thing. :D

"In the worst case scenario, a disaster of this size would be global in its extent, would create a meltdown of our economic and social life, and would reduce us to dark age conditions," he told Reuters.

he sounds calm!

yeah I was thinking about Armageddon...I need to see Deep Impact...well maybe not!

I'm not worried about it...some things are beyond our control.

Amid Chaos...save a chair for me. :)

Let's see. In 17 years, I'll be 49. Hopefully I'll be living in Cindy's Castle by then.;)

The astroid can just stay away.:mad:

OMG! I just realized in 17 years I'll be 60!!!! :rolleyes: Not sure I want to think about that.........

Well, by then either we will know it's on a collision course, or it's not. We will also know whether we would be able to deflect it or not.
Considering that I'm not in politics, the military or any science industries, it won't do much good for me to worry.

You know, that was so easy to say and type, and it makes sense, but I know me. When the time comes, I'll probably be a basket case. lol

Hopefully I will be living in Florida and working at WDW. I am not going to sit here and worry about something the "might" happen 17 years from now! By then, they may have enough time to figure out how to break it up and deflect it.

Also, the Mayan people who had a very precise calendar for their time stops at 2017 which some believe means the end of the world so if the asteriod hits in 2019 we won't be here anyway.

Beam me up, Scotty! Maybe Spago and I will go blow this up for you all. We'll be in our late thirties - in our primes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter