What are we missing on Main Street?

In 2012 my girls had so much fun on Main Street one day. They sang with the Mayor, they played around teasing the police officer, they hung out with the guys in the band (they are band kids) and talked to them. It was actually one of the nicest mornings we had, just sort of slowly making our way down Main Street and stopping to see all the entertainment.
523363_10150774585586703_1628214067_n.jpg 580752_10150774586466703_1727930080_n.jpg

Agree with PP.. the glassblowing.. It is really interesting. Plus I could spend so much time looking at the pieces in that shop. /QUOTE]

Another vote for the glass blowing. We just discovered the hot shop in the back of the glass store about 3 trips ago. I had seen the lamp workers (glass blowers who make smaller stuff with blow torches and pipes) many times, but I never realized there was a full hot shop for large glass work in the back. We spent probably 45 minutes or more in there watching and listening to the glass blower. He was making bowls and vases with Disney character themes and talking and answering questions the whole time. We love glass blowing, so was very entertaining for us.

I never knew this was in there either. This trip we happened into the shop and saw the worker in the middle of the shop and we were all obsessed with that (including DD17 DD14) glassblowing.png

Ohmy gosh! I love this thread. I'm a senior and guilty of running to the attractions (okay, not running:) on our first trip d own Main Street. Then we go slower the next time and look at the windows. Honestly, the window displays are fantastic especially at Christmas. I always used to hurry by the windows, but now never miss looking at them. We love the glass shop too, and we started a tradition of getting one piece of crystal on each trip. I have quite the collection starting late 70's or early 80's. I even have a Mickey Mouse watch that I bought in l983 which I wore all the time I worked as a nurse. Had lots of comments about it :) I took it to the watch counter and the lady told me that I had a real deal, as the watch maker didn't make those anymore. I don't buy expensive crystal because there are some really expensive pieces, but my little ones are precious to me. It's a fun tradition to start!

The omnibus, upper level, is a must-do for anyone who has never done it!
'
Haven't done the Main St.vehicles in decades but it's a great idea. We're taking DGDs next trip and it'd be a big deal to them to sit up top the bus, or ride in one of the horse-drawn vehicles.:earsboy: We always do the shops because we love looking at Disney stuff, but again, the glassblowers would be a big deal to the little girls.:thumbsup2

I'm loving this thread and it's getting me super excited that my next trip is my first adult trip, although I don't think I've allotted enough time!

Time for a leisurely stroll down Main Street! I may need to pack an extra bag for souvenirs...

Are there usually long waits for the various Main St. vehicles?

Favorite spot to relax is the alley between the jewellery store and crystal arts, there are a few tables and chairs back there and if you're lucky you hear a singing lesson happening on the second floor.
Also the marching band and the trolley show.
In the morning you can ride different turn of the century vehicles

I've tried to ride the cars a couple of times, but they're always just parked -- am I missing something? Help :)

I've tried to ride the cars a couple of times, but they're always just parked -- am I missing something? Help :)

Main Street vehicles only operate in the morning. They pick people up in Town Square and in the hub by the castle for one-way trips. If you see them, they are operating. Otherwise they park them backstage behind the west side of Main Street. When they're parked onstage in the morning they're probably waiting for people to ride. Next time, just look for the driver and ask them.

Main Street vehicles only operate in the morning. They pick people up in Town Square and in the hub by the castle for one-way trips. If you see them, they are operating. Otherwise they park them backstage behind the west side of Main Street. When they're parked onstage in the morning they're probably waiting for people to ride. Next time, just look for the driver and ask them.

starting last spring they were coming out all the way up to posted close time.. It depends on the crowd and spring is your best chance for afternoon or evening ride (especially during after hours) to get some rides in.. There was a few days in summer that were out also, fall just got really packed and stayed so I didn't see them out after morning at all and sometimes they weren't out in the morning either.

starting last spring they were coming out all the way up to posted close time.. It depends on the crowd and spring is your best chance for afternoon or evening ride (especially during after hours) to get some rides in.. There was a few days in summer that were out also, fall just got really packed and stayed so I didn't see them out after morning at all and sometimes they weren't out in the morning either.

Thanks, this is very good to know!

I meant to post this earlier. I'm glad to help so many people learn about the glass blowing at Crystal Arts. The reason I found it is because in August, on our trip when we finally fell completely in love with WDW (and pretty much turned in our DLR cards), I decided to learn my "new" Main Street. I spent an hour just exploring everything, and when I got to the back of Crystal Arts, it just blew me away. It was the moment I felt really home on MK's Main Street. When I was leaving, I went to City Hall to tell them what I had just done and to thank them for helping me find the magic again in the east coast parks (which were my original Disney parks experiences when I was a little kid.) So that glass blowing is pretty special to me, too.

Last edited:
I'm loving this thread and it's getting me super excited that my next trip is my first adult trip, although I don't think I've allotted enough time!

Time for a leisurely stroll down Main Street! I may need to pack an extra bag for souvenirs...

Are there usually long waits for the various Main St. vehicles?

Back in April, my DH, DD, and I were headed into MK for a PPO breakfast at CP right around 8:00am. The vehicle was empty, there was no wait, and one of the vehicle operators asked us if we wanted a ride. I told them we were headed to CP and they said they could drop us off, so we got on. A couple right behind us was also headed to CP and decided to ride along. It was so much fun! I had no clue what the "procedure" was for riding the Main Street vehicles before that day, but I was so glad the CM encouraged us to ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter