We're Still Hungry! A DDW July Getaway - 8/5 Complete!

BUT I do have just a few conditions:

1) Donald, you must begin your next dining report immediately upon your return home...no dilly-dallying! :lmao:

2) You take pictures of your meeting at Disney World, and as I said before...not just of your food. :p
(but I do though expect there to be some sort of food/beverage involved ;) )

3) You both check-in back here from time to time during your trips, 'cause I will miss you guys. :goodvibes

I second these conditions! And I, too, will try to check-in during our trip!

Third!!:thumbsup2

It will be interesting to see the comparisons of reviews for the same restaurants! :thumbsup2

We need Jabead to drag out her reviews a little longer. :)

You are in single digits!! [where's the dancing banana dude? Oh well, you get a cheerleader instead!!] :cheer2:
I have a good feeling that we're still going to be pleased, even if we dine at many of the same places. I'm not expecting any miracles or surprises, but if the GFC lobster burger, Narcoossee's entrees, and Jiko desserts are representative of what's to come, then there won't be anything to worry about. ;)

Seven days to go! :yay:

This is such an exciting time on the dining review section - Jabead will be done just in time for an influx of new reviews. :)

Well, I am sad that this review is finished, but I am happy that you will be enjoying more fine dining in the World very soon. That means I can look forward to reading more well written and enticing reviews very soon. I will be giving my best shot at a dining review when I get back from my trip at the end of this month. It should be interesting because I am going to include the thoughts of the entire family. A 13 year old boy, a 10 year old girl, my DH and myself. We shall see how it goes. Thanks for your great reviews.

Oh and by the way, that Chocolate peanut butter cupcake is something that I could easily find myself enjoying very much.
You should definitely start a dining report! And it would be very cool to hear the perspectives of everyone in your party. Since your trip is so soon, you have a good chance of the chocolate peanut butter cupcake being available. :thumbsup2

Congrats on the completion of another great dining report, Donald! :worship: I can't believe that you have managed to complete two dining reports now during the time that I have been working on my one. :guilty: I am though determined to finish mine before you leave on your trip next week. ;)

Okay, well maybe I can stretch them out one more week until Donald gets back. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

BUT I do have just a few conditions:

1) Donald, you must begin your next dining report immediately upon your return home...no dilly-dallying! :lmao:

2) You take pictures of your meeting at Disney World, and as I said before...not just of your food. :p
(but I do though expect there to be some sort of food/beverage involved ;) )

3) You both check-in back here from time to time during your trips, 'cause I will miss you guys. :goodvibes
I second these conditions! And I, too, will try to check-in during our trip!
Sounds good! Reviews will be starting up on the 21st. And I'll definitely check in occasionally, especially if there's a change of plans. Jabead, I'm looking forward to reading the next few updates! :)

I very much appreciate this since I'm still 114 days away!!
Don't worry - I feel like as a trip gets closer, time starts passing by faster. Even if that's not the case, there will be plenty of reviews to enjoy. :goodvibes

I am sad it all over :( I really enjoyed it!
I'm sad it's over too - but pretty soon, the process will begin all over again. :)

Super exciting stuff to look forward to... lobster burgers, berry cobblers, and perhaps an oyster app at Narcoosees. :thumbsup2

Glad to know that when I return I will already have to catch up with your dining reviews!! :goodvibes Then GoofySonsMom (and Tracy too) will be back and we'll have another set of reviews to look forward to. (Oops if I am missing someone.)

It was just a month ago that we were awaiting your last trip and counting down to your last dining review. I need to buy some Disney stock since you are great for the Disney stockholders with your WDW trips/dining!!! :upsidedow

Less than a week to go.... :hourglass

Super exciting stuff to look forward to... lobster burgers, berry cobblers, and perhaps an oyster app at Narcoosees. :thumbsup2

Glad to know that when I return I will already have to catch up with your dining reviews!! :goodvibes Then GoofySonsMom (and Tracy too) will be back and we'll have another set of reviews to look forward to. (Oops if I am missing someone.)

It was just a month ago that we were awaiting your last trip and counting down to your last dining review. I need to buy some Disney stock since you are great for the Disney stockholders with your WDW trips/dining!!! :upsidedow

Less than a week to go.... :hourglass
Agreed - there's so many dining reports to look forward to and keep us occupied!

Speaking of Disney stock, Disney announced quarterly results yesterday. It sounds like the parks are doing well, mainly thanks to Disneyland (given the huge success of the expansion), Disney Cruise Line (thanks to the new ship), and Tokyo. I have to wonder how WDW is doing, since it wasn't really mentioned. It can't be a good sign that they keep extending discounts (although I guess it's good for us ;)).

Have you started a new Pre Dining Report? I have all my dining stuff mashed into my PTR. Still considering doing a PDR as I will be doing a DR when I return... Just not sure how many different threads I want right now!!

Brenda do you have a PDR? I guess I really should just go check!!

Have you started a new Pre Dining Report? I have all my dining stuff mashed into my PTR. Still considering doing a PDR as I will be doing a DR when I return... Just not sure how many different threads I want right now!!
Yep! I have a new PDR for August (although I haven't really gone into details about our plans, since they're highly subject to change).

Now I'm interested in checking out your dining plans. :thumbsup2

Brenda do you have a PDR? I guess I really should just go check!!

I'm like you... I have it all mashed into my PTR. :goodvibes I'm just sticking with that for now.

Yep! I have a new PDR for August (although I haven't really go into details about our plans, since they're highly subject to change).

Now I'm interested in checking out your dining plans. :thumbsup2

Sooooo... are you going to share your link or do I need to do some searching Mr. DDW?? :rolleyes1 Yay for the excitement of your trip! :yay:

Just read this whole review from start to finish! You did a marvelous job! Our past trips to the world have been with the DDP and we have completely avoided signature restaurants. As a family with three kids, it just didn't seem like a wise use of 10 credits. And you are right about Brown Derby - the only reason we haven't tried it is because it is 2 credits. Anyway, I am very excited to have scored a California Grill ADR for our upcoming trip. It will be our first signature experience. I decided instead of spending the 10 credits, we will pay OOP and therefore have more flexibility in ordering. I don't really think we will want 5 entrees and desserts. I am very excited to try it. I need to go in search of some good reviews. I think our new tradition will be to try one signature each trip which basically means we need to go for many years to come :-)

Your Narcoossee desserts look amazing. I have to admit that is my favorite dessert menu to drool over! I really want to try the almond cheesecake (which is funny since cheesecake is never what I pick for dessert). Of desserts I have tried so far, the ugly sundae at via Napoli is my favorite. I love the crunchy cookies and almonds with the cherries -YUM! Plus one of my kids always has the zeppoli so when you drizzle some of that delicious chocolate sauce over the sundae - pure heaven!

Just read this whole review from start to finish! You did a marvelous job! Our past trips to the world have been with the DDP and we have completely avoided signature restaurants. As a family with three kids, it just didn't seem like a wise use of 10 credits. And you are right about Brown Derby - the only reason we haven't tried it is because it is 2 credits. Anyway, I am very excited to have scored a California Grill ADR for our upcoming trip. It will be our first signature experience. I decided instead of spending the 10 credits, we will pay OOP and therefore have more flexibility in ordering. I don't really think we will want 5 entrees and desserts. I am very excited to try it. I need to go in search of some good reviews. I think our new tradition will be to try one signature each trip which basically means we need to go for many years to come :-)

Your Narcoossee desserts look amazing. I have to admit that is my favorite dessert menu to drool over! I really want to try the almond cheesecake (which is funny since cheesecake is never what I pick for dessert). Of desserts I have tried so far, the ugly sundae at via Napoli is my favorite. I love the crunchy cookies and almonds with the cherries -YUM! Plus one of my kids always has the zeppoli so when you drizzle some of that delicious chocolate sauce over the sundae - pure heaven!
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the reviews! There are definitely some great meals to be had at all the signature restaurants, and I think trying one per trip is a great goal.

California Grill currently isn't one of my favorite signatures, but there are definitely some great dishes on the menu. The triple-cheese flatbread with sun-dried tomato and arugula pesto is like a basic cheese pizza with a California twist, and some of the other flatbreads offer more unique toppings. If you like goat cheese, the Sonoma goat cheese ravioli appetizer is excellent. Among the entrees, the pork tenderloin and filet mignon are extremely popular. And for dessert, the chocolate lava cake with seasonal ice cream is usually a safe choice, and your youngest daughter might enjoy the rice krispie "sushi" on the kid's menu (that used to be one of my favorites). By paying OOP, you can definitely be flexible with things - in fact, a lot of people skip entrees entirely when they go to CG (they make a meal out of flatbreads, sushi, and appetizers). :thumbsup2

The desserts from Narcoossee's were great. The almond-crusted cheesecake has a huge following, and I can see why - it's a great combo of flavors and textures. I've never tried that sundae at Via Napoli, but it sounds delicious (as do the zeppole). At Via Napoli, I once really enjoyed the gelato frizzante: vanilla gelato with aranciata (sparkling orangeade) - it sounds like all their desserts are great. I guess Via is yet another place I have to add back onto "the list" :rotfl:

I fell so far behind! But I finished up your reviews today to find out you are back in WDW right now!:cool1:

HBD looks good. I really want to try the Cobb salad & grapefruit cake.

GFC sounds wonderful. How special that the manager surprised you two like that. So heartwarming & what Disney magic is all about. What a great memory. And the food looks :cloud9: I am ashamed to admit it but I dont know if those desserts would have made it to the room as I would have been too tempted to eat them all!:eek: And that burger!:worship:

The Contempo Cafe looks great! Between those salads and the chicken artichoke flatbread I see a stop there in our future. We will have the QSDP next trip & that looks like a great option.:thumbsup2

Once again thanks so much for the reviews. I'm going to go search for the PDR now.

I fell so far behind! But I finished up your reviews today to find out you are back in WDW right now!:cool1:

HBD looks good. I really want to try the Cobb salad & grapefruit cake.

GFC sounds wonderful. How special that the manager surprised you two like that. So heartwarming & what Disney magic is all about. What a great memory. And the food looks :cloud9: I am ashamed to admit it but I dont know if those desserts would have made it to the room as I would have been too tempted to eat them all!:eek: And that burger!:worship:

The Contempo Cafe looks great! Between those salads and the chicken artichoke flatbread I see a stop there in our future. We will have the QSDP next trip & that looks like a great option.:thumbsup2

Once again thanks so much for the reviews. I'm going to go search for the PDR now.
Thanks so much for reading all the way to the end! Hopefully it was worth it. :)

HBD is one of my favorite Disney restaurants. I'm almost always happy with the food, atmosphere, and service there. :thumbsup2

The GFC experience was incredible - that was more than enough magic (and sugar :laughing:) to last for the next few years. And I'm not one to rave about burgers, but I loved this one. :goodvibes

Contempo Cafe is one of my favorites! I don't know if I can recommend the cupcakes there, but their lighter fare (salads, flatbreads, sandwiches, etc) is all satisfying and relatively unique. :thumbsup2

Now it's my turn to catch up on everyone else's reviews. :rotfl:

I had to come back to this thread and update. Last week my DD and I went to the lounge outside Artist Point (the name of the lounge escapes me at the moment) and once again found it completely empty. I ordered a drink and asked it I would be able to get the mushroom soup in the lounge and it was not a problem at all.

I was surprised how small the portion was for the price. The "bowl" was smaller than the one I've seen in pictures. It was very good, probably too salty for me because I am not a huge salt eater. My DD will not touch a mushroom but did for me and thought the soup tasted more like potato soup to her. I agree, I didn't pick up smoke or mushroom flavor really. Just very bacony. Very good, nothing at all like I expected. I am very happy to have tried the soup I have read so much about.

I had to come back to this thread and update. Last week my DD and I went to the lounge outside Artist Point (the name of the lounge escapes me at the moment) and once again found it completely empty. I ordered a drink and asked it I would be able to get the mushroom soup in the lounge and it was not a problem at all.

I was surprised how small the portion was for the price. The "bowl" was smaller than the one I've seen in pictures. It was very good, probably too salty for me because I am not a huge salt eater. My DD will not touch a mushroom but did for me and thought the soup tasted more like potato soup to her. I agree, I didn't pick up smoke or mushroom flavor really. Just very bacony. Very good, nothing at all like I expected. I am very happy to have tried the soup I have read so much about.
Thanks so much for reporting back on your experience with AP's soup at the lounge. I haven't had the soup for a while now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the portion has gotten smaller - I'm happy to hear it was still good, even though it wasn't what you were expecting.

This was a wonderful dining review! :thumbsup2

*Plays grabby hands with the Contempo Cupcakes* If only I could just reach through my computer screen! Ah well. :rotfl:

This was a wonderful dining review! :thumbsup2

*Plays grabby hands with the Contempo Cupcakes* If only I could just reach through my computer screen! Ah well. :rotfl:
I'm so happy you enjoyed the report! As for the cupcakes, I have to say I'm glad we can't simply reach through the screen and indulge...since I know I would overuse that luxury. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter