• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ w/ PICS! ~ UPDATE: New Thread Started!

I'm so glad you're having a good time ... everything sounds delicious!

May I ask a favor? And if you say no that's perfectly fine. Is there any way that you could list the upcharge items from the V&A menu along with their prices? I'm trying to set a tentative budget for our dinner there on the 18th and I know we'll do some of those items I'm just trying to figure out how much more it will cost.

Thanks! :hug:

Kazakhstan Wild Osetra Caspian Sea Caviar with Traditional Garnishes
1/2 oz $190
1 oz $380

Monterey Abalone with Toasted Capers and Meyer Lemon $30

Australian "Kobe" Beef Tenderloin and Smoked Garlic Potato Puree $35

Japanese Wagyu Strip Loin with Oxtail Jus $80

Continuing with our phenomenal night at Victoria & Albert's, we still have 4 glorious courses to go!

Bread #2
Brioche with Chives, Garlic Shoots and Lemon Balm served with Herbed Butter.
ry%3D400

This was easily the best bread course! I have had brioche in Paris that hasn't been as good as this. The crust was crisp and flaky, the bread was buttery and airy. It was remarkable and I could have eaten an entire loaf!

Hot Appetizer
DDad & Tink - Duck Breast, Duck Sausage with Rhubarb and Salsify and Duck Confit with Duck Proscuitto, with Cherry Reduction Sauce
ry%3D400

This was a wonderful dish, if you love duck, you will absolutely love this! From left to right there were two succulent slivers of duck breast, in the middle there was a housemade duck sausage with salsify and rhubarb, and on the right was a roulade of duck confit. Across the top of the plate was a cherry reduction that tasted like a red wine reduction with subtle fruity tones. Across the bottom was a puree of rhubarb.

Mom - Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterrelles
ry%3D400

The breast of poulet rouge was stuffed with thigh meat, and a wild mushroom and truffle duxelle. It was then rolled in panko bread crumbs. This was divine! I had one bite and wished I had chosen this course. I am not the biggest fan of mushrooms, but this was a blend of rich and earthy flavors as opposed to a distinct "mushroom" flavor.

Bread #3
Multigrain with Wheat, Oats, Barely, Flax and Sunflower Seeds served with European Style Salted Butter
ry%3D400

I was surprised I liked this bread as much as I did. Normally I am not a fan of multigrain, but this had a lovely crust and a flavor that was more along the lines of a perfect white bread with compliments from each of the grains added. The salted butter was a perfect pairing, as multigrain bread often lacks salt.

Meat Course

While we each contimplated the upgrades for this course, we had decided to try the meal as it was set for the prix fixe. After seeing many pictures of the following course I knew exactly what I wanted to order:

Tink - Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets, Root Vegetable Gratin and Sherry Bacon Vinaigrette
ry%3D400

Our server explained that Kurobuta Pork is like :the pork our grandparents ate, rich, flavorful and moist" and he was exactly right. This was unlike any pork tenderloin I've ever eaten. It was served slightly more rare that I would usually order (I would say between medium and medium well). The pairing were spot on, the beets were sweet, the bacon sherry vinaigrette was smokey and the root vegetable gratin (potato, parsnip and turnip) was creamy and delightful. I am not a fan of turnip or parsnip, thinking them too bitter, but they were indistinguishable, they simple added a different of texture and subtly of flavor that you cannot achieve with potato alone. I nearly licked the plate clean.

DMom & DDad - Niman Ranch Lamb with Fall Vegetables and Celery Root
ry%3D400

My parents adored this course. The lamb was tender and not "gamey" in the slightest. The celery root puree is the green on the plate. The purple spheres are "marbles" or purple potato. The cylinder is made from crispy potato strings and filled with carrots, radishes etc. I believe the sauce beneath the lamb was a jus or reduction.

Thanks for posting the upcharges. But now I'm bummed ... the 1/2 ounce caviar service used to be $125 and we were planning to splurge on that but I'm not sure we can push it to $200 for 1/2 ounce plus garnishments.

Your pictures are lovely - I'm so happy that you enjoyed V&A; it's unbelievable isn't it? :goodvibes

Thanks for posting the upcharges. But now I'm bummed ... the 1/2 ounce caviar service used to be $125 and we were planning to splurge on that but I'm not sure we can push it to $200 for 1/2 ounce plus garnishments.

Your pictures are lovely - I'm so happy that you enjoyed V&A; it's unbelievable isn't it? :goodvibes

We were shocked at the price of the caviar too! If it had been $125 we might have considered it as well.

It is absolutely unbelievable, every bite was perfection and we actually considered a 2nd dinner this trip! However we decided to return in 171 days for my 25th birthday!! (on March 25th no less :))

6th Course
Tink - White Chocolate Gelato with Micro Spearmint and Tableside White Chocolate Shavings
ry%3D400

I have never been a fan of white chocolate because I never felt it had flavor. Oh god was I wrong! It does have flavor, it is sweet and rich and wonderful. I could have eaten a bowl of this as mu dessert :lmao:

DMom - Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

ry%3D400

DDad - Gouda Beemster XO, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

ry%3D400

The reason DDad has Gouda is because he is allergic to blue cheese. I tried a bit of each cheese expect the stilton, because I am allergic to blue cheese as well. This was easily the best cheese plate we have ever had and we frequently get them at California Grill and Jiko.

MARCH 2010 PLANNING​

I know I am still in the midst of reviewing my Sept/Oct 2009 trip, but I've already started planning March 2010 :woohoo:

Given the fact that Disney Dining is reverting back to the 180 day window on Oct 27th, I will be able to book my March 2010 ADRs in a mere 3 weeks :goodvibes

So far here is my plan

ARRIVAL DAY = March 23rd
We have a very late arrival, 11:30pm, so no plans for food this day :sad1:

March 24th
Lunch - Wolfgang Puck Express
Dinner - Chefs de France

March 25th - My 25th Birthday
Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern
Dinner - Victoria & Albert's

March 26th
Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
Dinner - Flying Fish

March 27th
Lunch - Offsite?
Dinner - Kona Cafe

March 28th
Lunch - Chefs de France
Dinner - California Grill

March 29th
Dinner - Bistro de Paris (based on new menu pics I took this past trip, will post very soon)

March 30th
Lunch - The Wave
Dinner - Tokyo Dining

DEPARTURE DAY = March 31st

And now, the heavenly dessert course :worship:

Celebes Coffee Process
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! It is such an inventive means of percolation. I am NOT a fan of coffee but this was delicious, smooth with very little bitter aftertaste that I detest so much.

I am a chocoholic at heart, so I didn't even have to look at the menu when it came to dessert. The moment I sat down at Victoria & Albert's I knew what I was getting for my last course:

Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid with Hazelnut Crisp, Edible 24 carat gold and strawberries, Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Soufflé with Godiva Anglais, Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream on Chocolate Puff Pastry
ry%3D400

Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Puff Pastry, Chocolate "eyelash" and Whipped Cream
ry%3D400

Kona Chocolate Souffle with Godiva Anglaise
ry%3D400

Tanzanian Chocolate Pryamid with Hazelnut Tuille and Strawberries.
ry%3D400

Oh sweet merciful god, this was the best chocolate dessert I've ever had (And I've had Marcel Desaulniers' Death by Chocolate)

It is easy to pick a favorite - the Kona Souffle wins by a land slide and I think I would get it on its own next time.

The weakest was the tanzanian chocolate pyramid. It was not bad by any means, but simply the most "boring" to be as it tasted like a basic chocolate mousse.

Mike strongly recommended the dessert selected by both my Mom & Dad. He said that whenever the staff of V&A pick a dessert, they opt for this:

Caramelized Banana Gateau - Toffee Cylinder, Sponge Cake, Marscapone Cream, Macadamia Crunch, Caramelized Bananas, House-made Spun Sugar, Bruleed Bananas
ry%3D400

I am not a big fan of bananas, but everything else in this dish calls to the salty sweet side of me, the side that craved sea salt caramels and chocolate dipped pretzels. It was absolutely wonderful (and that description is just from the 1 bite that I got ;)

MANY MANY APOLOGIES!​
:worship::rolleyes1:sad1:

I know that I have been more than remiss in updating my dining review. Work has been a whirlwind of insanity and it seems like it's never going to end :headache: but I will update very soon! I still have so many great pictures to share and I make my March ADRs on Tuesday!

I just found your thread and I 'swallowed' it in one serving :)

Your pics are fabulous and I love, love, love that you reviewed V&As! Thank you!

I'm staying tuned for more popcorn::

First off....my best friend Jaclyn has started her very first Dining Review from her Engagement Trip this Sept! So...:rolleyes1....here is a shameless plug to visit her review :goodvibes

Jaclyn & Chris' Engagement Trip Dining Review

March ADRs​

Yesterday I (and about 50,000 other people) started making ADRs as Disney Dining opened the window to 180 days. Oh my lord it was a nightmare and if you want to read about my experience visit the "Oct 27th" thread on the Restaurant Boards. To make a VERY long story short, it took 6 hours and 20 minutes and 6 calls to get the ADRs that I wanted :headache:

But, I got them! :woohoo:

So here is the *OFFICIAL* March 2009 ADR Plan

March 24th
Dinner - Chefs de France

March 25th *My 25th Birthday*

March 26th
Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
Dinner - The Wave

March 27th
Lunch - Undecided
Dinner - Kona Island Sushi Bar

March 28th
Lunch - Chefs de France

March 29th
Dinner - Il Mulino

March 30th
Lunch - Columbia Harbor House
Dinner - Tokyo Dining

Thanks for the shameless plug!:rotfl:

I'm looking forward to reading your review of Il Mulino.:) I really want to try it next time I go!

First off....my best friend Jaclyn has started her very first Dining Review from her Engagement Trip this Sept! So...:rolleyes1....here is a shameless plug to visit her review :goodvibes

Jaclyn & Chris' Engagement Trip Dining Review

March ADRs​

Yesterday I (and about 50,000 other people) started making ADRs as Disney Dining opened the window to 180 days. Oh my lord it was a nightmare and if you want to read about my experience visit the "Oct 27th" thread on the Restaurant Boards. To make a VERY long story short, it took 6 hours and 20 minutes and 6 calls to get the ADRs that I wanted :headache:

But, I got them! :woohoo:

So here is the *OFFICIAL* March 2009 ADR Plan

March 24th
Dinner - Chefs de France

March 25th *My 25th Birthday*

March 26th
Lunch - Flame Tree BBQ
Dinner - The Wave

March 27th
Lunch - Undecided
Dinner - Kona Island Sushi Bar

March 28th
Lunch - Chefs de France

March 29th
Dinner - Il Mulino

March 30th
Lunch - Columbia Harbor House
Dinner - Tokyo Dining

Yeah! I'm so glad you got what you wanted! I'm one of the lamos that didn't bother and ended up getting everything online on 10/28. I actually was able to get everything I wanted even though Le Cellier ended up being about an hour later than I wanted but I figured I'd have to compromise if I wasn't going to try and call on 10/27.

Wow what a line up! Sounds yummy!

Oh and because of your reviews of the Poly CL we changed from the YC CL to the Poly CL :thumbsup2

Please keep your fingers crossed that we will actually go next month and DH will not change it up on me AGAIN! :scared1:

Wow what a line up! Sounds yummy!

Oh and because of your reviews of the Poly CL we changed from the YC CL to the Poly CL :thumbsup2

Please keep your fingers crossed that we will actually go next month and DH will not change it up on me AGAIN! :scared1:

Woohoo! I promise you will not be disappointed! I have stayed YC CL, BC CL, WL CL and Poly CL - Poly is by far the best :goodvibes

LOL I hope that Todd lets you keep your plans for once ;)

Sept 28th

The Writer's Stop

So for years I have heard about the Carrot Cake Cookie at the Writer's Stop in Disney's Hollywood Studios. So after our fun morning at the Studios I decided that I had to try one!

ry%3D480

Display Case

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This was wonderful, but I have a severe dislike for raisins and unfortunately this had a fair amount of them. Because I ate it with a knife and fork I was able to avoid them and after that I really enjoyed it. The filling was rich and creamy and the cookie itself was moist with the perfect balance of spice (cinnamon etc).

Garden View Tea

Later that afternoon my mom and I made our way to the Grand Floridian. We have made it a tradition to do the tea at the Garden View Lounge every year.

We were seated at 2pm, right at the window.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We both ordered The Grand Tea, which starts out with a glass of sparkling wine.
ry%3D400

My mom ordered Earl Grey and I had the Mad Hatter. So far, it is my favorite blend, it was sweet and a bit tart with a lovely pomegranate taste.

The tea sandwiches are always delicious. You get pear and blue cheese (which I trade with my mom for her shrimp salad), chicken salad egg salad and shrimp salad as well as cucumber and arugula (I think). My favorite part of this plate is the onion tartlet!
ry%3D400

I find that scones can be very dry, but these are fluffy, light and delicious. We were seated next to a very nice couple from Devon, England who informed me that the Devonshire Cream was passable but nothing like the authentic cream from Devon. Despite that, I happily slather it on because it is as close as I'm going to get to the real thing for the time being ;)
ry%3D400

The next course offers a choice - trifle, strawberries and cream or pastries. We both opted for the pastries. Mom selected a chocolate strawberry and a raspberry mousse. I picked a chocolate eclair and the raspberry mousse as well. Everything was lovely.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last, but certainly not least, I had arranged a surprise for my Mom. This trip was in celebration of her bday and she adores vanilla cake with buttercream icing. So I got her this:
ry%3D400

After seeing so many of these beautiful little cakes here on the DISboards, I can tell you that they are fantastic! While it looks small, that icing is VERY rich and we were only able to eat half, so we packed up the rest and brought it back for Dad to try :thumbsup2

Delicious!!

and now I'm considering the Castle Cake!! :rotfl2: I know it used to be a cheesecake, and now buttercream - I was curious how it tasted!!

Thanks for sharing

ry%3D400

This was wonderful, but I have a severe dislike for raisins and unfortunately this had a fair amount of them. Because I ate it with a knife and fork I was able to avoid them and after that I really enjoyed it.

Eww! :eek: Evil raisins, why must you ruin perfectly good food !?!:rotfl2:

California Grill

September 28th

We love the California Grill and eat here at least once a trip. We even have a favorite server, Ron. Our reservation was for 7:45, but I had called Ron earlier that day and he said to check in at 7:15 and he'd get us a table at the second seating.

This ended up being our most....interesting....experience so far.

We ended up checking in at about 7:30 and I explained to the host that we knew Ron and would like to be seated in his section. The host said that was no problem, that we may have to wait 15-20 minutes and sent us upstairs to wait.

Luckily there were tables left in the lounge and we grabbed one right by the window. I noticed that there was a specialty cocktail menu on the table and I had never seen one at CG before:
ry%3D480

I ordered the first item on the menu, the French Martini. It was good, but much stronger than I expected.

My mom had a glass of wine, Shiraz I think, and my Dad had a Sierra Nevada beer.
ry%3D480

Now this is where the night gets interesting. The lounge was full, all the seats along the wall were occupied, the place was busy! I saw Ron--He was in the section closest to the castle and had 3 four-top tables, all along the window and 1 of the larger six-top booths.

We enjoyed our drinks and the view and at around 8:15 we noticed that Ron was delivering coffee to one of the 4 tops, so we figured we would be seated soon. Just as we noticed that, our buzzer went off...hmmm..:confused:

Dad and I went to the hostess station and Mom kept our table at the window as we figured there had been a mis-communication. We asked the hostess if we were to be seated in Ron's section, she said no and at that point we politely asked to see a manager to sort out the mishap.

At this point one of the managers, Sara, came by and we explained that we had been guaranteed a table in Ron's section. She said she would sort it out and come to see us in a few moments. We pointed out our table in the lounge and she said she's be back in 5 minutes.

Dad and I returned to the lounge, and watched as Sara wandered through the restaurant for 15 minutes. Never once did she speak to Ron, or the seater. We were getting a bit anxious as it was 8:30 and we had been at CG for an hour. Dad went back to the hostess station to see where Sara had gone, or speak to another manager.

All the while, I have been watching the table in Ron's section. Their dessert plates were cleared at 8, and they had been milking a cup of coffee for 30 minutes now.

Dad spoke to Ashley, the manager in charge that evening, and she quickly went to see Ron. Moments after she spoke to him, we saw her go and speak to the people at the table. There was a lot of hang gesturing by the woman there and after about 10 minutes of Ashley speaking to them they got up and stormed to the elevators.

We were seated at the table at 8:45, 1 hour after our ADR, and 1 hour and 15 minutes after we checked in. Ron explained that he knew the woman was attempting to hold up the table for Wishes and that Ashley had intervened to clear it.

From this point, we received many special touches that were not necessary but certainly appreciated.

Place Setting
ry%3D480

Surprise #1 - A Champagne Toast
ry%3D480

Surprise #2 - Amuse Bouche - Florida Beefsteak Tomato Soup - with Herbed Mascarpone and Pumpernickel Croutons
ry%3D480

This was delicious! It tasted like an authentic tomato sauce, very fresh, sweet and acidic. The mascarpone added the perfect creaminess and the pumpernickel croutons were earthy and crispy.

After our amuse, they dimmed the lights and we got to see Wishes :wizard:

For our first course we ordered a variety of Yoshie's fabulous sushi, delivered on a stunning platter:
ry%3D480

From top to bottom we had
- Shrimp Tempura Roll with mango, watermelon and ginger-orange dipping sauce
ry%3D480

- California Roll
ry%3D480

- Spicy Kazan Roll - crab, shrimp, bay scallops, tuna and fireball sauce
ry%3D480

I love all of these, but my favorite is the Spicy Kazan, very closely followed by the Shrimp Tempura. I could lick the fireball sauce, bay scallops and tempura crunch right off the plate :worship:

Next up was the cheese plate
ry%3D480

Unfortunately, this was the weakest cheese plate we've ever had at Disney. I don't have the listings with me, but the first on the left was positively disgusting and Dad deemed it "dirty sock cheese" :rotfl:

The best item on the plate was the candied marcona almonds, addictive!

For the next course we ordered "first courses" because we weren't in the mood for full entrees after that much sushi and cheese.

Dad got the Maine Lobster Risotto - wwith Midnight Moon Goat Cheese, Lobster Oil, and Meyer Lemon Beurre Blanc
ry%3D480

This was divine! It was so rich and creamy, but the tangy goat cheese helped to keep it balanced.

Mom got the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli
ry%3D480

This item is classic, if they ever took it off the menu I think there would be a riot!

I ordered a side of Goat Cheese Polenta with Zinfandel Glaze
ry%3D480

My Dad joked that I ordered the Grilled Pork Tenderloin minus the Pork Tenderloin! :lmao: As always, this was delicious and rich.

At this point Ashley came over to check on us. She asked if there was anything she could get for us and I mentioned that I had seen a very interesting dessert going around, it was three little pots. She explained that was a new dessert introduced that evening and she would send one over :lovestruc

Imagine our surprise when this was delivered to our table:
ry%3D480

I think that the entire restaurant watched as this went by! It was spectacular and amazing because somehow they read our minds as the other desserts were the ones we were planning on ordering!

From left to right
Bananas and Caramel - Crispy Baked Phyllo Squares Layered with Banana, Caramel, Mascarpone Mousse, and Caramelized Banana...This was the one my mom wanted, it was crispy, creamy and decadent.
ry%3D480

This was the one we mentioned to Ashley - "Trio of Temptation" (No Sugar Added) - Chocolate Cappuccino, Vanilla, and Mango Pot De Cremes...it was my Dad's favorite and you could not tell it was sugar free.
ry%3D480

And last, but certainly not least, Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, House-made Salted Caramel Ice Cream, and Roasted Golden Pineapple...This was the dessert I wanted because I adore molten chocolate cakes AND salted caramel :love:

In the end, these desserts were comped and this glorious meal cost under $150. We each got a glass of wine as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter