~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ w/ PICS! ~ UPDATE: New Thread Started!

UPDATED MARCH ADRs

Hi Everyone! So sorry that it has been forever since I posted! :headache: Work was crazy and then I just relaxed over Christmas. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and Wed, but then I get Thurs-Sun as another break :thumbsup2

I've changed my March ADRs a bit as my parents and I felt we were getting into a bit of a rut.

So here we go...

March 23rd - ARRIVAL
NONE as we get in at 11:30 or so at night.

March 24th
BREAKFAST - Kona Cafe
LUNCH - Wolfgang Puck Express
DINNER - Chefs de France

March 25th - My 25th Birthday!
BREAKFAST - Kona Island Coffee Bar
LUNCH - Columbia Harbor House
DINNER - Victoria & Albert's

March 26th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix CSR
LUNCH - Flame Tree BBQ
DINNER - Artist Point

March 27th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix CSR
LUNCH - Le Cellier
DINNER - The Wave

March 28th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix CSR
LUNCH - ESPN Club
DINNER - California Grill

March 29th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix CSR
LUNCH - Wolfgang Puck Express
DINNER - Flying Fish

March 30th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix CSR
LUNCH - Liberty Tree Tavern
DINNER - Tokyo Dining

March 31st - DEPARTURE
BREAKFAST - - Cafe Rix CSR

*Drumroll* Dessert was the famous 'Ohana bread pudding :goodvibes
ry%3D400

So did you just say hey can I get the Ohana Bread pudding or ????. We aren't doing Ohana for dinner this trip but I think I might need the dessert!:rotfl:

*Drumroll* Dessert was the famous 'Ohana bread pudding :goodvibes
ry%3D400

So did you just say hey can I get the Ohana Bread pudding or ????. We aren't doing Ohana for dinner this trip but I think I might need the dessert!:rotfl:

Whenever we are at Kona Cafe we ask for the bread pudding from Ohana as our dessert. It's $6 and well worth it! :thumbsup2

This time we were actually able to get it at the Kona Island Sushi Bar! :goodvibes

Jiko​

We fell in love with Jiko a few trips ago and it quickly became a part of our "must do" list.

We have had service issues in our last few visits to Jiko, but we were optimistic that this time would be different. While we didn't get any attitude from the hostess this time around, the service still wasn't stellar.

Every time we go to Animal Kingdom Lodge we think that we would love to stay there, but it seems so far away from everything else on property and it is just a bit too dark for my DMom's tastes. Regardless, it is still a beautiful resort!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We were seated towards the front of the restaurant. Not the best table, but not the worst either. At least it had a nice view.

ry%3D400

Place Setting

ry%3D400

Our server, Ron (who we have had at a previous visit) dropped off two types of bread, flaxseed and cashew flour, with the yummiest tandoori butter on the planet!

ry%3D400

In the past few years we have learned to love cheese plates and Jiko consistently has the best offerings. From what I recall these were Purple Haze, Monte Enebro, Manchego, Piave Vecchio and another that I can't recall. Delicious!

ry%3D400

We also tried the Taste of Africa dips. The easy winner of this appetizer was the house made naan! Wow! I loved the red dip, though it was too spicy for DMom & DDad. I also liked the pesto, but it tasted too heavily of cilantro for DMom. The hummus was made with olives and I am not a big fan, so it was my least favorite.

ry%3D400

For our entrees we all ordered the filet, but with various substitutions. Above is my entree, the typical filet with mac & cheese.

ry%3D400

DMom ordered her filet with the vegetables of the moment.

ry%3D400

DDad ordered his filet with goat cheese mashed potatoes.

I think that we skipped dessert that night as we were very stuffed and our ADR had been quite late (8:55pm).

Our service was....satisfactory. We had been served by Ron before and found he had great personality, but tonight he was blase and practically vacant from our table the entire evening.

We won't be rushing back to Jiko. We had a better meal at Flying Fish this trip and have decided to try give it Jiko's former "must do" spot.

Have to agree with you. FF has surpassed JIKO on our list as well. We'd never had the filet and tried it this past trip and are left wondering what the hype over the filet is????:confused3 FF on the other hand has been outstanding the past four times we've been there!!!!:worship:

I think we had the same server in November, that ruined part of the experience but the food was not as good as the year before.....we agree that FF is so much better and Todd said the steak is 100% better at FF

Have to agree with you. FF has surpassed JIKO on our list as well. We'd never had the filet and tried it this past trip and are left wondering what the hype over the filet is????:confused3 FF on the other hand has been outstanding the past four times we've been there!!!!:worship:

Girl, when you are right you are right and you are the one to tell me about FF...we KNOW what the hype is for that place!

I just read through all 28 pages of your wonderful thread. Thank goodness it's almost my lunch hour. You've made me extremely hungry!

The first time I had the Filet at Jiko I understood the hype. It was absolutely perfect! The cut of meat was tender and juicy, the mac & cheese was creamy and sharp and the wine reduction was a perfect blend of rich and rangy. If the meal is executed perfectly, it really is a 10!

We've only been to FF once, but it was the surprise of the trip, we enjoyed every bite of our meal there :thumbsup2

Jiko looks fabulous!

Honestly, Jiko is a great restaurant, we're just going to explore other signatures before heading back there. If you haven't been I would say it is definitely worth trying.

I think we had the same server in November, that ruined part of the experience but the food was not as good as the year before.....we agree that FF is so much better and Todd said the steak is 100% better at FF

Girl, when you are right you are right and you are the one to tell me about FF...we KNOW what the hype is for that place!

Bad or lacking service can ansolutely affect a meal. We had such a fantastic server at Jiko in August that it was disappointing to have "boring" or "sub-par" service in Sept.

We are excited to try FF out again! I love the Chef's Thunder offerings and the fact that they change the menu up but keep a few favorites on (the crab cake, the snapper etc.)

I just read through all 28 pages of your wonderful thread. Thank goodness it's almost my lunch hour. You've made me extremely hungry!

Thanks for reading! This honestly is the dining review that never ends! :rotfl: I still have a few reviews left from Sept/Oct, then I will have March 2010 and Sept 2010 (hopefully!) So sit back, relax and enjoy popcorn:: :goodvibes

Kobe, cake and....caviar?!? More March Planning!

Once again, I apologize for the lack of updates :rolleyes1 but I've been really busy with work.

I can't believe that I'm going to Disney in 53 days! :woohoo:

Once again, I have altered my ADRs slightly (and they may change again before we leave, or even during the trip :rotfl:)

But first...to explain my update....

Earlier this week I read Brenda's review of Victoria & Albert's and found myself drooling over the caviar and the kobe beef.

I had already decided that I want to try the Kobe upgrade at my birthday dinner, but seeing the elegant presentation of the caviar (paired with watching an episode of Gordon Ramsay's F Word in which he raved about the wonderful-ness that is caviar) gave me a craving.

I teased that my DDad was going to kill her, but when I spoke to him about my "craving" last night he said basically the same thing as Brenda's dear sweet Jay..."it's your birthday, if you really want both...get them" :scared1:

Wow! Now, I'm not sure I can justify both, even though the caviar currently listed is magnitudes less than what Brenda paid ($90 now as opposed to $190).

Why can't I justify it?

Because my parents let me order myself a specialty cake :lovestruc That will end up costing about $100 plus tax and tip.

I won't be receiving my cake at V&A as I felt there was no way I could stomach it after such a rich meal.

Instead, it is ordered for March 28th when we dine at the California Grill. This means I will be getting a cake from the wonderful and highly talented CakeManBri from the Contemporary :goodvibes

Details:
8 inch
Vanilla Cake
Buttercream filling and frosting
Pale Purple Fondant with a crystal sugar effect
Hand Painted White Chocolate Tinkerbell
Sugar Flowers in shades of purple, pink, blue etc.
Banner that says "Happy 25th Birthday Megan"
Cost $100

I'm so excited! :yay:

Now, for the updated Itinerary/ADR Plan

March 23rd
Arrival Day - Because we are leaving on a late flight, I am working this day. I'll work through my lunch and leave at 3:30 as opposed to 4:30. By the time I get home I'll have just enough time to get changed, throw some last minute items in my carry on and head out to the airport.

Our flight departs Toronto at 8:55pm, but because of the intense security following the Christmas Day bombing we will likely have to be there at least 3 hours before.

By the time we land in Orlando it will be 11:40pm (that is if we are on time :rolleyes:).

Let me make a side note: I *hate* flying out of Toronto! The only reason that we are flying from Toronto this trip is because we are using Aeroplan miles. Normally, we adore the Buffalo Airport, it is small, efficient and stress-free.

Unfortunately, we will probably just grab McDonald's on our way to CSR and crash for the night.

March 24th
Traditionally my first day would merit a visit to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop. However, I want my first visit to MK this trip to be on my birthday. So we are going to take it easy and treat this lke our "arrival day"

We are starting the morning off right...sleeping in, followed by a yummy breakfast at the Kona Cafe The toughest choice is going to be whether I get Tonga Toast or Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes ;)

From there we will probably go to Downtown Disney, then to the Mall at Millenia and grab some lunch either at the California Pizza Kitchen or Red Lobster (a tradition for us) before getting some essentials from Wal-Mart and returning to CSR for a swim or a nap.

That evening will be Epcot, with dinner at Chefs de France

March 25th
My Birthday! I must admit, I wish this was not an EMH morning as we typically avoid them like the plague! However, as it is my birthday, I really want to hit rope drop and do an MK morning.

So we will get up at 6 :scared1: and get to MK by 7:40ish. From there, we will probably ride Space Mountain, then the Haunted Mansion and I want a gourmet breakfast of a Mickey Waffle from Sleepy Hollow

Lunch will be something light, probably Columbia Harbor House followed by a dole whip from Aloha Isle.

The afternoon will bring a much needed nap and and preparation for V&A.

Our dinner reservation at Victoria & Albert's is for 5:15. When they call the week before I want to request Mike as a server and a table in the main room. I'm so looking forward to this meal :goodvibes

March 26th
We are hoping to go to Animal Kingdom this day, and have lunch at Flame Tree BBQ.

We have a dinner reservation at Ohana but that might shift to Kona Island Sushi we haven't decided yet.

March 27th
This will be an Epcot day, morning and night. We are having lunch at Le Cellier and then a very early dinner at Artist Point before returning to World Showcase to watch Illuminations from France with Pomegrante Kir in hand :thumbsup2

March 28th
We are going to hit Disney's Hollywood Studios in the morning, then Mom & I will be off to the Graden View Tea and Dad will likely head to the ESPN Club.

Dinner is at the California Grill and I'll get my highly anticipated Birthday Cake!

March 29th
I think that we might brave the Magic Kingdom again this morning and have lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Dinner will be at the amazing Flying Fish followed by another Epcot evening.

March 30th
I'm hoping the weather might hold out to go to Typhoon Lagoon, if not I'll delay my visit until Sept and we might go to Epcot again, or to Downtown Disney.

If we go to Epcot, lunch will be at Chefs de France and if not it will be Wolfgang Puck Express.

The evening will be our traditional last night, Epcot with dinner at Tokyo Dining and Illuminations

March 31st
Unfortunately, our flight leaves at 8am. This is both a good and bad thing. The good is that we will be in Toronto by 10:40 and home by 12, so I can unpack and relax before returning to work Thurs (and then getting Friday off LOL...Good Friday).

But it also means we have to be up at like 5am :scared:

Well, that's everything for the moment! I still have at least 2 reviews from my Sept/Oct trip to post.

Oh and one more thing! My parents are going to WDW......without me!!!! :scared1::sad2:

I'm kidding about the sad face LOL. They are going to celebrate their 30th anniversary from Aug 27th - Sept 6th. On Sept 5th, their actual anniversary, they are dining at Victoria & Albert's :lovestruc I'm a bit envious, but overall, I'm thrilled for them!

I might be able to talk my mom into taking food pics, so there might be a 3rd V&A meal for me to post (even though I'll be absent from it :rolleyes: lol).

If I am allowed a vote I say you should get the caviar ... kobe beef is something that you can find and try at many other restaurants but really good caviar with the proper presentation is not so easy to find and $90 for 1/2 ounce is actually a pretty good price based on the market prices I've seen lately (yes, I'm officially addicted and have been trying to price it out so I can budget accordingly for our May Vegas trip).

GET THE FISH EGGS!!!! :lmao::thumbsup2

Your plans sound wonderful :cool1:
We have an ADR at Tokyo Dining at 8.15pm and were hoping to view Illuminations from there, have you ate there at Illuminations time before?
I am thinking of doing a dining review when I return but I haven't done one before :eek:

If I am allowed a vote I say you should get the caviar ... kobe beef is something that you can find and try at many other restaurants but really good caviar with the proper presentation is not so easy to find and $90 for 1/2 ounce is actually a pretty good price based on the market prices I've seen lately (yes, I'm officially addicted and have been trying to price it out so I can budget accordingly for our May Vegas trip).

GET THE FISH EGGS!!!! :lmao::thumbsup2

Brenda! You are a bad influence :P :lmao:

If it is $90 then I might just treat myself. I'm not sure I can ask more of my parents, they are already taking me to WDW....and to Victoria & Albert's....and getting me a specialty cake!

If it was back to the $190....yikes!

I will go in with an open mind and see what I feel like that evening.

As for the kobe, I've never tried it! I know that its a bit more readily available, and again, I might not be able to tear myself away from the pork because it was heavenly! I think in general I will go in with the mindset of going with whatever I feel like that evening :thumbsup2

Your plans sound wonderful :cool1:
We have an ADR at Tokyo Dining at 8.15pm and were hoping to view Illuminations from there, have you ate there at Illuminations time before?
I am thinking of doing a dining review when I return but I haven't done one before :eek:

We have seen Illuminations from Tokyo Dining twice. You can request a table by the windows when you check in. We have lucked out with an amazing table each time - as you walk into the restaurant this table is located past the hostess stand to the right. It is on the corner so you get a panoramic view. You can't really see the high fireworks unless you are right AT the window and this table is located a bit back, but it is very private. I would suggest checking in at 8 if you are going to request a window as we have had to wait up to 30 mins before.

Dining reviews are so fun! I love everyone here on the Restaurant Boards and the Dining Review Boards, they are very welcoming and apreciative of all reviews :grouphug:

Harambe Fruit Market

We shared a huge soft pretzel from the Harambe Fruit Market. It was yummy and hit the spot. I was also happy that it wasn't covered in salt like some WDW soft pretzels are.

Flame Tree BBQ

Flame Tree is one of our favorite counter service restaurants.

ry%3D400

The food is consistently good and the seating area is gorgeous! I feel like it is a peaceful escape from a busy theme park.

ry%3D400

I love the ribs here but this day I felt that they were a bit lacking. There wasn't as much rub as I would like and they weren't quite as fall of the bone tender. Typically, they are a 9 in my book, they were a 7 this day.

ry%3D400

My mom swears this is one of the best salads on property.

ry%3D400

They also have some fantastic onion rings.

More F&W Booths!​

We had another night of snacking around the world, starting in France:

ry%3D400

We split an order of snail poppers....er...Escargot en Brioche! These are the most wonderful little bites of garlicy, brioche-y heaven.

We also split two orders of Cabernet braised shortribs. Mmmmm! I wish I had the recipe for these, so good! Rich earthy beef with creamy soft potatoes.

I also tried the Parisien Cosmo slush. It was good, better than the Grand Marnier to me...but not as good as the Grey Goose!

ry%3D400

After France we tackled the Beer Hop. This was alright, but really nothing special. We had tried many of the beers before so it wasn't anything new :confused3 The CM also convinced us to try a beer with "chocolate notes"....I love chocolate anything but this was :sick:

Next stop: Japan!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Tried and true favorites - california & spicy tuna. I still like the spicy tuna crunch better than the one with cucumber though.

We continued on to New Orleans

ry%3D400

I've heard that creole food is a love it or hate is kind of thing....after trying gumbo I have to say...I'll go with hate it...:rolleyes1 it just had a taste that I was not fond of.

However, I adore this:

ry%3D400

This is second only to Ohana's bread pudding. It was lovely!

The American Adventure brought 2 lobster rolls to split and the annual festival beer. Yum!

ry%3D400

By this point we rolled ourselves to Italy :rotfl: and shared Polpetini (meatballs with breadsticks) pizza (why oh why does ALL Disney pizza suck?? :confused3) and Canneloni (yum!). Sadly, they no longer had the Baked Ziti from last years festival...it was so much better!

We decided to keep our table and grab some items from Germany & Austria.

ry%3D400

The sausage...well....:rotfl:

The gratin was delicious as was the strudel!

ry%3D400

We all loved the flavor of the goulash but were disappointed in the bacon dumpling! It had so much promise, but was really just heavy and bland.

The sachertorte was nice, but kind of boring.

That's all for now, but coming up I have Raglan Road for lunch and Tokyo Dining for dinner. Sadly, those are the last reviews for this trip, but my March trip is just 50 days away! :woohoo:

We decided to keep our table and grab some items from Germany & Austria.

ry%3D400

We all loved the flavor of the goulash but were disappointed in the bacon dumpling! It had so much promise, but was really just heavy and bland.

The sachertorte was nice, but kind of boring.

Being Austrian I have to say that the "Gulasch" appears to be "Potatogulasch" - or are there not HUGE cubes of potato in it.
And the dumpling is NOT Austrian at all!!!!!!!!!! It looks gross! :scared1:
Here you would be served a nice crispy freshly baked roll with your "Gulasch" - to mop up all the usually yummy juices.:cloud9:

The Sacher Torte looks very sad! It usually is much higher, you cannot tell where the filling is and it is served with a HUGE dollup of freshly whipped cream - oh heaven on earth IF it is prepared right!:goodvibes

Sorry you had such a mediocre experience!

Being Austrian I have to say that the "Gulasch" appears to be "Potatogulasch" - or are there not HUGE cubes of potato in it.
And the dumpling is NOT Austrian at all!!!!!!!!!! It looks gross! :scared1:
Here you would be served a nice crispy freshly baked roll with your "Gulasch" - to mop up all the usually yummy juices.:cloud9:

The Sacher Torte looks very sad! It usually is much higher, you cannot tell where the filling is and it is served with a HUGE dollup of freshly whipped cream - oh heaven on earth IF it is prepared right!:goodvibes

Sorry you had such a mediocre experience!

LOL it definitely had chunks of potato as well as beef. The beef was tasty but I would have much prefered a crispy roll for the juices (they are the best part of any stew based item!!)

My DDad visited Austria as a teen and has vivid memories of Sacher Torte. He said it was one of the best desserts he ever had and that the F&W festival version was a pretty sad imitation. Again, it was good, just not as authentic as I would have hoped.

After hearing about you and lots of other people raving about Flame Tree we are going there for sure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter