We ate here, there, & way over there, deluxe style...6/20 to 6/27 **Final ANALYSIS**

Thanks a lot for your reviews! I realized that I really would like to dine mainly at the signature restaurants... :scared:

Just finished reading from start to finish and just wanted to say 'thanks' for these awesome reviews. I am so looking forward to breakfast at Boma now and you have inspired me to think about trying some signature places too :)

I only just found you today and am not even done (on page 5 currently), but I just wanted to say I love your reviews! Your level of detail is great, and you eat like I do! I really like to try whatever seems "special" about a particular restaurant. A friend who is a chef gave me advice one time: "Always order the special/house specialty because that's what the chef is most passionate about." It's worked pretty well for me ever since! And my DD8 eats like your DS!

Looking forward to catching up - thanks!

First, have to say I love your reviews. I just found this post and have really enjoyed reading it.
Second, WOW what a coincidence. I'm going through your report and noticed you were at California Grill on the same day we were, and what a coincidence, at the same time we were. Well, I'm scrolling through the pictures and whoa..... that's US!!! (Well, what little you can see.) We were celebrating our DD graduation from high school and that is her in the black & white dress.

You guys were also at Tusker House on the same day and same time as us too. What are the chances! Anyway, we looked and looked at your pictures from that morning but couldn't find any that we made it into.

Too funny! Just had to add her full picture in here too. Thanks for bringing a big smile to my day!!

559.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

Thanks for the wrap-up. I really enjoyed reading your cost analysis and reasons for chosing the deluxe. It was very helpful for future trip planning for us.:thumbsup2

I'm so glad. That's the whole POINT of this after all. Helping each other. I think it really helps to know WHY people choose to do things so that when they say whether or not is was positive or negative, you have a frame of reference.:teacher:

I LOVED your Dining report.
Thanks so much for writing it. I have to say, I found this first, now I'm going to read your TR. :)

Thank you. My pleasure. I'd be delighted to have company on my TR, but word of warning, I'm detailing over there too. By the time my report gets to WDW, you'll be as excited to be at WDW as we were!:laughing::rotfl:

Loved the dining review, although now it is making me rethink the plan I had worked up for December!

What are your December plans? Have you been talking about that yet on your PTR? I don't recall...

Thanks a lot for your reviews! I realized that I really would like to dine mainly at the signature restaurants... :scared:

My pleasure. Dining at the signatures was very nice. I hope you enjoy what you pick.:goodvibes

Just finished reading from start to finish and just wanted to say 'thanks' for these awesome reviews. I am so looking forward to breakfast at Boma now and you have inspired me to think about trying some signature places too :)

Yay for Boma!:yay: Soooo good. The signatures are great fun. It's hard to narrow it down to what to pick. I hope you enjoy whatever works for you!:thumbsup2

I only just found you today and am not even done (on page 5 currently), but I just wanted to say I love your reviews! Your level of detail is great, and you eat like I do! I really like to try whatever seems "special" about a particular restaurant. A friend who is a chef gave me advice one time: "Always order the special/house specialty because that's what the chef is most passionate about." It's worked pretty well for me ever since! And my DD8 eats like your DS!

Looking forward to catching up - thanks!

That's EXACTLY what I've been told as well. The special is something that the chef really enjoys, and also, is from fresher and often seasonal ingredients. I'm so glad you are enjoying the reviews.

First, have to say I love your reviews. I just found this post and have really enjoyed reading it.
Second, WOW what a coincidence. I'm going through your report and noticed you were at California Grill on the same day we were, and what a coincidence, at the same time we were. Well, I'm scrolling through the pictures and whoa..... that's US!!! (Well, what little you can see.) We were celebrating our DD graduation from high school and that is her in the black & white dress.

You guys were also at Tusker House on the same day and same time as us too. What are the chances! Anyway, we looked and looked at your pictures from that morning but couldn't find any that we made it into.

Too funny! Just had to add her full picture in here too. Thanks for bringing a big smile to my day!!

559.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

That is HILARIOUS! You know. I remember your table because there were several young ladies there. I remember thinking that they were all so lovely in their dresses. I remember thinking that you must be celebrating something over there. Now I KNOW!

Were you in the far back room in Tusker? The one on the other side of the long room directly off the buffet? We were in that long room, toward the back. I vaguely remember a larger party with girls back there.

What fun.

WOW, LOTS of great info here!!! Thanks for taking the time to put so much details in, LOVE the cost breakdown and more importantly the TIME spent at each place, this was AWESOME!!!!

:worship: :thumbsup2

Great review! I'm wondering, now that the trip is over, are you going to be planning another one for next year?

I'm wondering what I will do with my time once my trip is over in October. :confused: I know that sounds pathetic but there is nothing like planning one of these trips! So many details to think about. Not like a vacation to the seaside or anything, where you just make your hotel reservation and that's it!!!

Great review! I'm wondering, now that the trip is over, are you going to be planning another one for next year?

I'm wondering what I will do with my time once my trip is over in October. :confused: I know that sounds pathetic but there is nothing like planning one of these trips! So many details to think about. Not like a vacation to the seaside or anything, where you just make your hotel reservation and that's it!!!
First, I am writing my trip report. It helps to relive it all over again. I am in the process of THINKING about a trip for next year. DH's family thinks they want to go. It would be a different kind of trip with them though...

I have a non-Disney trip planned for Christmas. That is taking some time too... And I have to figure out what we might do for Spring Break next year!

I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed your reviews! I came across the TR when looking for comments on lunch at Akershus. I took the time to read each of your reviews... inspiring me to try several new places next March when we go again to WDW. I was looking forward to Whispering Canyon, and I know my DH (and DS's) will love it with all the meat. ;)

Being a fellow Houstonian, I feel for you and the drive to & from the world. For us, it's all about the cost to fly vs. drive. If I could afford it, we'd hop a plane & be there for a longer stay!

oh we had the pleasure of Richardo's service as well in January. He was a big part of this being a memorable meal. I know that somewhere I have a photo of him.
thank you for your wonderful reports:)

I just found your review on accident, looking up Whispering Canyon Cafe...and I found an answer to one question I constantly am wondering about! I have asked people more times than I can remember about how long their meals took! We are going the end of this month and are on DxDP, AND are staying club level. So yes it will be a TON of food, but we will have our 2 yr old with us who couldn't get the dining plan, so she will share our meals!

We originally were going to do a lot of signature meals, like you had, but 2 hrs would be entirely too long for our daughter. We do have 3 signature meals scheduled, Narcoossee's (which I saw was fairly quick for you) and the Yachtsmen & Flying Fish (which are next door to our resort) so if one of us had to leave for a walk with her, it would be no big deal packing up the food to take back to the room!

So really, thank you for being so thorough and including the timeframes!

I just wanted to thank you for posting this...i read every last bit and enjoyed it very much!! you rock!

Thank you all for joining me in this dining review. There hasn't been too much chatter on this thread, but I hope that everyone has enjoyed the virtual meals.

If you are thinking about using the DxDDP, or are planning to use the DxDDP, maybe the following will also be of some benefit:

Choosing the DxDDP was not a decision made lightly. You look at the cost, and think, Wow, Am I really going to spend THAT much on FOOD in ONE WEEK?! Several factors contributed to our decision to use the DxDDP dining plan. Trying to be consise:

1. DS8: Kids meals are something of a joke a WDW, CS especially. Signature restaurants offered the best meal choices for my DS. Buffets too.

2. DS8: Extra food to share with a growing boy that is close to being an adult under the plan.

3. DS8: Is still a child under the plan, so in the last years of being much cheaper.

4. Disney Visa 0% financing for 6 months. For cash flow purposes, I needed a dining plan so that food expenses would be lumped in with the total cost of the vacation package.

5. Disney Reward Dollars: We had enough to cover the majority of extra OOP expense with the DxDDP plan.

6. Future plans: It's likely that our next trip to WDW will be with DH's family. With 4 couples, 2 with kids, we will likely stay off-site, so the dining plan won't even be an option for that trip. It's likely that we won't eat much on-site.

Will we get the DxDDP again?

Yes. But probably not for a while.

Was it too much food?

No. Generally, we chose lighter fare. Seafood, fish, salads, and sharable appetizers. Several fish entrees. We shared with DS. And we watched our side dish intake, trying to not eat too much bread and/or more filling foods like potatos and other similar side dishes. And we never left a buffet feeling overstuffed.

Was it too much time?

No. Two TS's a day worked well for our family. Most of our first day meals, buffets, were in our control. Our dinners were generally a nice pace and we were grateful to sit in the a/c because the heat index was 105+ for most of our stay.

Was our trip too structured?

Yes. While having two TS's a day wasn't horrible in terms of time, it was often rough business in terms of scheduling. It often felt like our evening was fully based around our dinner plans. And often it felt like dinner was too early or too late. With only one scheduled TS meal a day, more time FEELs freer. It just is too bad that you will have a hard time eating at TS WITHOUT an ADR. The only meal that ever felt GREAT to get to consistently was LUNCH.

Was it fun?

Yes. It was fun to experience all the new restaurants. To try new foods. To eat foods that we don't normally eat.

Any other thoughts?

Eating at all the signature restaurants inspired me to be more creative with meal presentation at home. A great part of dining at signatures is the environment and the plating of the food. These are things that made a difference in how the meal FEELS. We have eaten more meals in our formal (not super formal) dining room since coming back from WDW.

Any other questions?

Thanks for all the reviews. I'm debating over DxDP for our upcoming trip. Thanks again - loved the review

Great review! I just was wondering if you could tell me how you ordered the cake at WCC. We will be eating there the night of my best friends birthday and would to get her a cake. thanks so much. =)

:yay: thank you for taking the time to write a great review. I liked your breakdown of the expenses. this is our first time with any dining plan, we upgraded to deluxe! Great Job:banana:

Fantastic review! Great to see so much detail and lots of great photos. So glad we have upgraded to the DxDDP too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter