• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We ate here, there, & way over there, deluxe style...6/20 to 6/27 **Final ANALYSIS**

TxRabbit

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my dining report. Some may recall my dining report from our 2007 trip.:confused3

Two adults and one child dined deluxe style for 8 days filled with "food, glorious food!" (Forgive me the non-Disney film reference.):rolleyes:

I offer you a fresh look at what may be popular dining options, because, with only two exceptions, we had never eaten at the restaurants on our itenerary. Filled with plenty of personal opinion, honest evaluation of our own plan, and pictures of virtually everything we ate, this report will cover the following:

Arrival Day:
Whispering Canyon Cafe, Wilderness Lodge, Anniversary Celebration with personalized cake

Father's Day:
Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge, breakfast
Wolfgang Puck Express, Marketplace, Downtown Disney, lunch
California Grill, Contemporary Resort, dinner

Monday:
Donald's Safari Breakfast, Tusker House, Animal Kingdom Park
Roaring Fork to go, WL, snack lunch
Jiko: The Cooking Place, AKL, dinner
Roaring Fork, WL, snack

Tuesday:
Princess Storybook Lunch, Akershus, Norway, Epcot
Chefs de France, France, Epcot, dinner

Wednesday:
Roaring Fork, WL, snack breakfast
Roaring Fork, WL, lunch
Quest Food, Disney Quest, West Side, DTD
Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club Resort, dinner

Thursday:
The Plaza, Magic Kingdom, lunch
Aloha Isle, MK, snack
Main Street Bakery, MK, snack
Narcoossee's, Grand Floridian Resort, dinner

Friday:
Starring Rolls, Hollywood Studios, snack breakfast
Hollywood Brown Derby, Hollywood Studios, lunch
Artist Point, WL, dinner

Saturday:
Chef Mickey's, CR, breakfast
Earl of Sandwich, Marketplace, DTD, lunch to go
Goofy's Candy Company, Marketplace, DTD, snacks to go

ANALYSIS:
42 Snack Credits
DxDDP Finances: Total Value of Food
DxDDP Time: How long did all those meals take?
Final Thoughts

I hope you enjoy my own trip down memory lane!
A feast for the eyes and the imagination awaits.
Bon Appetit!

Without further ado, let's get down to the business of this report, shall we?:goodvibes

It was arrival day, or rather, it was arrival afternoon. The plan was to eat at the resort for dinner. We had driven from Houston, Texas, so a non-traveling dinner plan was definitely in order. Something that would get us into that fun, vacation mode...and that would be Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge, our home resort.

The verbage in The Silver Star reads: Enjoy a true lodge experience - Western style - as you relax around the campfire, dishing up foods preparedby our Chef "Cookie.' Barbecued and wood-smoked meats are a specialty in the family-style setting. Sit back and relax as our rowdy crowd entertains and you enjoy the best vittles east of the Rockies. Please let us know if you'd like to have a leisurely meal or if you need to hit the trail quickly.

397.jpg

The restaurant is several steps taller than the resort lobby, from which it is separated by a railing. Should you sit on that side, you would have a lovely view of the massive interior lobby of WL. You can see the restaurant on the lower level here:

396.jpg

Or, you might be seated closer to the wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows that offer a rather uninspiring view of tremendous bushes and trees. At this time of evening, it let in a very welcome amount of natural lighting into the room. I noticed a smaller room-like area toward the back of the restaurant. This room was quite separate from the action, but it seemed cozy, quieter, and offering something of a view of the large fireplace. I think there might have been another fireplace opening on the restaurant side.:scratchin You can see this part of the restaurant behind the fireplace facing into the lobby.

813.jpg

Our ADR was for 5:20 pm. When we checked in, there were already several guests waiting. There is a play table filled with Lincoln Logs in the waiting area. We had only begun working on our creations when our buzzed went off, and started speaking to us, telling us in a voice with a serious country twang to report back to the podium. We were seated virtually smack dab in the middle of the main room.

Our server was Mo, or rather, Doctor Mo. He introduced himself with quite a verbose story outlining his food practice and how he treats the most common ailment that he encounters, starvation. While we never actually shouted for extra helpings, he did encourage us to yell Mo' Ribs, or Mo' cornbread, or Mo' whatever, should we desire more treatment.

Before he would serve us, he asked us to pass his reflex test, tossing straws and paper napkins into the air above our table and instructing us to catch at least 50%.

We were very hungry. DH and I ordered:
Canyon Skillet: All You Care To Enjoy: Mixed greens with apple vinaigrette dressing, fresh baked cornbread with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, cowboy beans and seasonal vegetables. Smoked pork ribs, pulled pork, oven-roasted chicken, and smoked brisket.

DS ordered:
Kid's Picks:
Appetizers: Fruit cup
Entrees: Canyon Skillet with ribs with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob Desserts: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Although I had heard much ado about the bottomless milkshakes here at WCC, DH and I prefered to order iced tea. DS, however, was tempted by the idea that he could try each and every flavor of milkshake, and he was challenged by the fact that Mo said he had never had a customer manage to try every shake flavor in one sitting.

DS ordered a chocolate milkshake, which he devoured quickly. Then he ordered a cotton candy milkshake, which he didn't care for. This dampened his enthusiasm for the taste testing; DS didn't order any other flavors. DH and I tried it. It tasted EXACTLY like cotton candy.

400.jpg

I noticed others with a milkshake served in the mason jars that function as drinking glasses at WCC. The child milkshake was served in a paper cup that is commonplace throughout WDW restaurants. I thought that the child portion was adequate for tasting and enjoying the milkshake, without being overwhelming. Had we been interested in exploring other flavors, it would have been fun to designate DS's beverage as the milkshake one, from which we could all share, so that we wouldn't become so overstuffed on milkshakes.

Sitting in the hot tub later that evening, another young gentleman expounded on his LOVE for WCC and the bottomless milkshakes. From him, I discovered that you can even COMBINE flavors to create your own. He had a chocolate caramel milkshake that was AWESOME.

While we were waiting for our skillet, Mo presented us with a lovely basket of cornbread and also the coleslaw from the skillet. It was served in a very small (about 1/2 cup sized) bowl. DH and I each received one. It was a curried coleslaw, with just a hint of curry flavor in the creamy dressing. It was excellent, but then, DH and I are likely to enjoy ANYTHING with a curry flavor. You can just see the little bowl of coleslaw in the background of this pic:

399.jpg

I thought it was interesting that the description for the skillet included the mixed greens salad from the appetizer menu. We were not offered an option to change this appetizer. However, when the bill arrived, we were charged separately for the Mixed Greens Salad - Tossed in apple vinaigrette with tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.

398.jpg

This was a very large portion for one person. DH and I each received one of these, but we could have easily split one. The salad was nothing special, but the ingredients were very fresh. I tried to not eat too much to save room for the skillet still coming. Given a choice, I would definitely have tried something else from the appetizer menu. If you order the skillet, and especially if you are on the deluxe plan, then I would definitely NOT order one of these salads for each diner. WAY too much food. If you want it, share it. It'll save you on the tip side of the bill.;)

While we were waiting for our skillet to arrive, the long awaited first call for ketchup occurred. I admit that I was extremely curious to see the famous ketchup in action. Apparently, this was the first call for ketchup of the evening. Many of the tables were still empty. In short order, several servers arrived with several bottles of ketchup each to give to the young gentleman that had requested the condiment. Brief instructions as to how he was now in charge of ketchup followed.

Soon after, there was another call for ketchup. The young man and his even younger brother carted all the ketchup bottles over to that table. Throughout the evening, there were several calls for ketchup, and it was rather disappointing to see that not everyone who had requested ketchup paid attention to continue the game. Several times the server and an entire table would be screaming for ketchup without any response from anywhere in the room. All the tables would look around for who had the ketchup and try to make that table aware of their responsibility. I thought it dampened the fun. And I post this as a warning to all that, if you have high hopes of some sort of hilarious ketchup event, you just might be disappointed, because it is entirely dependent on the participation of the guests present.

Presently, this was brought out for DH and myself:

401.jpg

And for DS:

402.jpg

Now understand that I am a rib-loving woman. I had high hopes for these ribs, becuase the ribs I enjoyed at MBYBBQ two years prior had been wonderful. These ribs, not so much. They had some hard edges and were a little tough. The flavor was good. But I've definitely had better ribs. The brisket was tender, but it was a little greasy, as the layer of fat on the brisket hadn't completely melted during the cooking process. The chicken had a nice flavor, too, but it was drier than I prefer. By far, the best meat in the skillet was the pulled pork. This was moist and tender.

BBQ sauce was served on the side in a cute little ceramic pitcher. It was a dark, thick molassis type of BBQ sauce. If you like KC Masterpiece, then you would like this.

The corn was typical of corn that is premade and soaking in water to keep warm. It was tasty still, but again, something of a waste of caloric intake.

I was not disappointed in the skillet overall. It lived up to expectations. It was a tremendous amount of average meat, which was exactly as I had read in other reviews.

I had preordered a personalized cake celebrating our anniversary. After it was clear that we were finished with our meal, Mo disappeared for quite a while. When he reappeared, he brought out two lovely glasses of champagne with strawberries on the glass rims. He announced to the restaurant at large that we were celebrating our anniversary. How many years? Twelve years! Now because Mo wasn't present during our wedding ceremony, we needed to reinact the kiss for him. For FIVE seconds. And he counted very, VERY slowly, and repetitively, and backwards, and with halves while DH and I were laughing and kissing before the restaurant audience.

Mo then lit the candles on our cake.

403.jpg

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

The cake was a vanilla cake (I had wanted white, but it came out more yellow), with chocolate mousse filling, and whipped frosting. It was melt in your mouth delicious.

We took the cake and the dessert we were entitled to with the dining plan back to the room. Later that evening, DH and I each enjoyed our own pecan pie, which I don't see on either the allears or wdwinfo menus. This was NOT a traditional pecan pie, as it had a chocolate flavor added and the filling for the pecans was mousse-like. I didn't finish mine. I didn't enjoy it. I like regular old pecan pie, and this spin off was not worth the calories.

425.jpg

In my huge stack of receipts, I regret that I can't find the one from this night. If my memory serves me well, then it amounted to:

Adult Skillet (2) $53.98
Mixed Greens (2) 13.98
Adult Beverage (2) 4.38
Pecan Pie (2) 10.98
Kid Skillet 9.49
Kid Shake 4.79

Total $97.60 (before tax)

Entitlements used: 3

Personalized Cake $45.00 (before tax) an OOP expense.

This was a very fun meal. Seated in the main room, even if you weren't participating in all the merrymaking, it was still fun to witness. We saw several gags throughout the evening.

At times though, some of the merrymaking seemed to be a bit forced. There were several reluctant children that were coerced into participating in the horse race around the restaurant. Parents then jostled for position around the tables to capture the moment on a memory card. More enthusiastic participants in the race did run roughshod over those less speedy than themselves. One poor runner fell and was quite upset. So a word to the wise. If you have a younger participant, then you might want them to start closer to the back of the pack.:thumbsup2

Overall, I am happy that we experienced WCC. If I were staying at WL, I would eat here again, and I would order something other than the skillet.

If you have plans in the park, then definitely let your server know. I saw that several families were able to eat and run much faster than our table.

That was one DETAILED review. I truly hope all your reviews are this thorough!!!

Keep 'em comin'!

Ms. H

Congrats! That cake looks soooo good! One of these days I'm going to order a cake but I have my eye on the strawberry custard!

Awwww, what an awesome review!! That cake looks amazing! And Mo sounds such fun!!!

Great review of a restaurant that I know we will never dine at! :lmao:

Your cake looked absolutely wonderful ... happy anniversary to you and your hubby! :goodvibes

i'm so in popcorn::

Count me in! :goodvibes

Count me in! Can't wait!

Oooooh! So much to cover! I can't wait to read your reviews popcorn::

I love all dining reviews......Count me in!

Thanks everyone for joining in! Even a virtual meal is better when shared!

That was one DETAILED review. I truly hope all your reviews are this thorough!!!

Keep 'em comin'!

Ms. H

Once upon a time ago, I was employed as a technical writer. I tend to be rather detailed and thorough, partly because I hope to add something new or unremembered.

Congrats! That cake looks soooo good! One of these days I'm going to order a cake but I have my eye on the strawberry custard!

I used the bakery at the WL. When I called to order the cake, I wasn't given all the options that I have seen listed on the cake thread. It was a very limited selection actually. DH and I had settled on the white chocolate with strawberries or raspberries (I don't recall which fruit was offered.) Perhaps if I had called the GF bakery, I could have had that option? :confused3 But I didn't bother to try.

What a fantastic review! That cake looks heavenly!

It was. ;)

Awwww, what an awesome review!! That cake looks amazing! And Mo sounds such fun!!!

Thank you. Mo was fun. I was happy to have a server that wanted to play!

Wonderful review, very detailed! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you. I'm aiming for at least one review a day. I need to get 'em done while the details are fresh!

Great review of a restaurant that I know we will never dine at! :lmao:

Your cake looked absolutely wonderful ... happy anniversary to you and your hubby! :goodvibes

Thank you!

If all your reviews are this good, I can't wait for the rest!

No guarantees. But I will do my best. :laughing:

Wow, that was a great review! We will be going to WCC for lunch this fall (part of the Backstage Tour) and DH is really looking forward to it, he is a BBQ junkie

Cannot wait for more!

Today was Father's Day. The plan was to sleep in, just a little. We had a 9:10 am ADR at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. There wasn't any special celebration associated with the buffet for Father's Day.

This is one restaurant that we ate at during our stay at AKL. We ate dinner on our arrival night. See a pattern, anyone? As I had enjoyed dinner, read wonderful reviews of breakfast, I was very much looking forward to this breakfast.

I generally avoid resort dining, simply because transportation can be such a pain if you are relying on Disney to cart you around. But we had our car this trip, because we drove. I took advantage of this anomally and planned many resort restaurants.

We drove ourselves to breakfast this morning. It was very easy getting around WDW by car. At the resorts, the gate guard would see our parking permit on our dash, ask to see a KTTW card, and then courteously direct us toward where self parking and valet parking could be found. Directions at AKL were appreciated because additional roads/choices exist beyond the gate than at other resorts.

I choose Boma specifically because it was a buffet without characters. I wanted our first character meal to feature Donald (DS requested only to see Donald). We didn't have park hoppers and we weren't going to AK this day. So Boma it was.

442.jpg

Boma is located on the lower level from the AKL lobby. Walk through the lobby to the rear right side, go down the stairs, pass through a lounge, down some more stairs and you are immediately in the waiting area for Boma.

We arrived a little late, around 9:18 am. Knowing how many arrive 10-15 minutes early to their ADRs, I was rather horrified to arrive what could thus be thought of as VERY LATE. Especially considering the number of people hanging out waiting. Especially considering the LINE to check in.

And there was a woman there, trying to change her ADR from a two person ADR to an EIGHT person ADR. I couldn't tell if she was trying to do a good deed and get some strangers into the restaurant or what the deal was. She would ask the children in the other family, "How old are you?" They ended up being seated next to us, and it became apparent with all the picture taking and laughing that the families knew each other. And the point is that, it never hurts to ask for changes at the very LAST minute. They were seated in short order.

And amazingly, so were we. I had just taken a few photos in the waiting area when our buzzer flashed and vibrated.

440.jpg

Boma is a large open restaurant. A sense of intimacy is achieved with strategic placement of booths, pony walls, and ceiling hangings. The atmosphere is bright with plenty of natural lighting let in through the tall windows all across the back of the restaurant and some smaller attic-like dormer windows up high. We were seated in a smaller, more separated area just to the right when you walk into the restaurant. We were isolated from the general hum of the restaurant. It was a perfect setting for a leisurely breakfast with Father's Day presents between courses.

Laura came to the table with a pitcher of specialty fruit juice, Frunch, made onsite. Laura did recite the ingredients, but all I remember is that it was a tropical fruit mixture. Allears says, it is a combination of lemonade, pineapple juice, guava juice, orange juice, and papaya juice, but I don't recall lemonade being mentioned?

We now interrupt this dining report with a tangent...this is the moment...this begins the great search for a latte of Starbucks calibre in WDW. We tend to be Starbucks junkies at home. We asked if lattes were served at Boma. Yes, they are, but they are not included in the cost of the buffet. Knowing that in another location, say a snack bar, the latte would be a snack credit, we opted to forgo the OOP lattes. Because really, we have 42 snack credits to spend, and I fully intended that lattes would take several of those credits.

In retrospect, I now recall that Mara, the quick service restaurant has a separate coffee station. I should have just excused myself from Boma for a brief visit around the bend to go get my DH a latte on Father's Day. Or we could have strolled over there after our meal for some post meal dessert like latte drinks. But alas, I did NOT remember Mara's coffee bar while sitting in Boma. Hindsight...and unfortunate, because we didn't seem to see a place in DTD, our next stop, that was serving lattes. And if we did, I think we were too hot to enjoy them...and now back to our dining review.

We made our way to the far end of the room and entered a very long line for the carving station. Today's offerings were roast turkey and ham. Here are views of the buffet and the restaurant from this line.

443.jpg

444.jpg

We continued in this very long line around the corner. The CMs were trying to encourage everyone to just go where they wanted to go. You don't have to wait in this line. The line was rather bothersome for the CMs that were having to access the kitchen. But apparently, we all wanted the same thing, so no-one repositioned themselves anywhere else along the buffet.

The buffet is set up into stations, or pods. Each pod is equipped with the proper dishes for its food offerings. There was never a good moment to get pictures of the actual buffet, but going by memory, from the far side to the podium side there were, a carving pod with other hot offerings, an egg/egg related pod, a syrup pod (waffles, etc), a make your own omelet pod, a fruit pod, a cereal pod?, and a bakery pod. The variety of food was tremendous. In retrospect, I can say that there was more variety here than at any other buffet on our dining agenda.

My meat loving DSs plate.

445.jpg

That's turkey under one strawberry. It was good turkey. Very moist. DS ate it all. This was the most AMAZING bacon. Probably the best bacon we have ever had, for what it was. It was super thin, which is the opposite of my normal preference. However, there wasn't a single black mark on this bacon. It was prefectly crispy without a hint of burn. I had to ask if they deep fried the bacon because I couldn't see how they could cook such thin bacon so wonderfully. It wasn't deep fried though, they just did a great job. DS devoured that mountain of bacon and got more, but he had already eaten so much of his second plate before I could snap a pic. You can see his hand here:

450.jpg

DHs plate.

446.jpg

Which DID include grits. He had grits for the first time traveling for business a while back. He loved them. Under the big biscuit was the star of the buffet in DHs and mine's opinion: Curried sausage biscuit skillet. WOW. This was INCREDIBLE. DH and I opted to share the biscuit he picked up. This was so good, I had to ask for the recipe.

If ever there is a dish that you find to be so wonderful that you want to try your hand at recreating it at home, simply ask for the recipe. You provide your email address and the name of the requested dish and they will send you the recipe.

DH LOVEs waffles. So he also got:

447.jpg

He was disappointed that the butter was all the way down at the bakery pod and not right next to the waffles. I've been watching the waffle doctoring for almost two decades now, and I can tell you, melting the butter just so into all the little squares of the waffle makes for the best waffle dining experience. Precious heat was lost as DH had to search for butter.

Here is my plate.

448.jpg

You can get a good look at the curried sausage on my plate. I choose the eggs with goat cheese. I LOVE goat cheese. I made a good scoop too, DH had said that he couldn't really taste the goat cheese in his, but it was very apparent in mine. I'd had a bobotie dish with dinner two years ago. I remember really liking it, so I got the breakfast version. It was still tasty, but in comparison to the curried sausage? Not as good. The chocolate croissant satisfied my need for a bit of chocolate. The sausage wasn't cooked to my liking; it was underdone and the bacon was so overwhelmingly good that I didn't eat more than one bite. The fruit was sweet and fresh. It was so good, I had to have some more...

449.jpg

There were two different watermelons, which was funny to me. There was sliced watermelon with the rind and there was cut watermelon. I opted for the cut because it appeared to be firm and juicy and I can't STAND grainy watermelon. This watermelon was DELISH. And of course, I HAD to have more of the curry dish.

We had an easy pace to our meal. We opened Father's Day cards/gifts at various intervals. We were never rushed. Laura was very attentive. The receipt was closed out at 10:14 am, so it didn't take long to enjoy our breakfast.

Adult - Breakfast (2) $41.98
KM - Breakfast 11.99

Deluxe Meal $57.48

Entitlements used: 3

Boma was by far my favorite breakfast buffet. I would definitely find a way to get back to AKL to eat here on future visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter