• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW cancelled our castle dinner?

This story just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, Disney "made it right" by scheduling another time and date for this poster at CRT. But the bottom line is that he should have never been put in that position. If Disney was going to plan this special event, then they should have done it well before anyone's 180 day mark.

I also think it sets a precedent that none of us want, and makes us all wonder if it could happen to us at one of our "coveted" ADR's. I have no problem with Disney catering to the 1%, the uber rich, the very rich, the rich, or any income class for that matter. Thankfully it's a capitalistic society and they can cater to whoever they want, and I have no problem with it. But what I do have a problem with is cancelling other peoples reservations just to cater to it. Very poor planning and decision making on Disney's part.

Because they cut out an entire course of the five course dinner, consolidated it into four courses, and still charged $150 a person and were content to do it without informing anyone. So no, I wasn't going to "go with the flow" when I paid $316 for two people to go on a five course progressive dinner with one course being a cheese and champagne course when the cheese and champagne course was eliminated by serving champange in plastic flutes at the Citricos Bar and the cheese was added to the dessert buffet when originally it was a cheese board presented by waiters with champagne in the GF Tea Room in crystal champagne flutes.

So yes, I complained, and yes when I was told it wasn't going to be restored I cancelled. Luckily for those who didn't enough people complained that they put the event back right.
Thanks! I was wondering where the line was. Folks who suggested guests need to be flexible did complain (rightly so) about this time Disney changed plans.

Here is the update...

I received a call from the proprietor of CRT this morning. He worked with me to move our BBB and CRT dinner reservations to 1/30. He was very helpful and seemed to be sincerely sorry for the incident.

I explained that I had learned why we were bumped and understood the reasoning. He said that 30 parties were unconvinced. I asked him to whom I could express my comments / concerns about these actions and he referred me to Guest Services. I will be writing them a letter shortly.

In the end, I feel that I was provided an acceptable replacement for what I had lost. I am disappointed that this was allowed to happen and will express my disappointment. I really don't expect to receive anything more.

I want WDW to know that as a guest, a stockholder and big Disney fan, that I am disappointed in the way that this was initially handled, when I had done everything to ensure my family had a great experience.

Thanks for sharing information and your comments.

Jason

Just looking for a clarification on this, "He said that 30 parties were unconvinced". Was "unconvinced" the word you meant to use, meaning that 30 parties didn't buy the operational issues reason? When I first read it , I thought it said 30 parties were inconvenienced meaning 30 parties had be re-scheduled.

They contacted everyone that had a reservation that evening and told them that their reservations were being cancelled. It is for the event that HopperFan mentioned in his post. Price for that bad boy? A cool $499 PER PERSON!!! Just another example of how Disney has been making very clear to everyone, that they are now more concerned with catering to the uber rich than they are the common folks. You know, the ones that scrape everything they have to try and visit their parks/resorts. The ones that make up the majority of the guest that go there year in and year out. The ones that make sure they are online or on the phone 180 days out from their vacation date to secure that reservation. A reservation that is one of the most difficult to get btw, and that they so easily cancelled with only about 2 weeks notice. Epic fail Disney, epic fail...

Just looking for a clarification on this, "He said that 30 parties were unconvinced". Was "unconvinced" the word you meant to use, meaning that 30 parties didn't buy the operational issues reason? When I first read it , I thought it said 30 parties were inconvenienced meaning 30 parties had be re-scheduled.

Should have been "inconvenienced". My apologies.

I don't feel what they offered is equal. For me dinner never equals lunch. we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. As to highway in the sky, we are not "rich people". This is a once in a lifetime for our 15th anniversary, and we were very disappointed by what amounted to a bait and switch, but it has since been fixed, because we said something.
Can we read about the Highway in the Sky issue somewhere? I'm interested to know the story. TIA.

ETA: I see that some details were presented here but was just wondering if there was a thread about it.

I am so glad that this has worked out for you.

You are quite far from the reality. THe Scupper has plenty of CS experience, and truly cares about the guest. He does have a different viewpoint than you , and many times from my own, but his experience does qualify him to comment.

I understand the terms and conditions but it all stems down from the fact that Disney cancelled a reservation to create reservations for something to make more money and that is just morally wrong.

I feel like a lot of these problems would go away if Disney stopped the 180 day reservations. Why oh why oh why is it so far out in advance? A 60 day or 90 day in advance window would be plenty of notice for the restaurants and let guests be a little closer to the trip before making decisions. Give them more time for research and planning and even making plane and hotel reservations.
And, more importantly, it would limit the possibility of last minute Disney changes messing up people's plans.

I feel like a lot of these problems would go away if Disney stopped the 180 day reservations. Why oh why oh why is it so far out in advance? A 60 day or 90 day in advance window would be plenty of notice for the restaurants and let guests be a little closer to the trip before making decisions. Give them more time for research and planning and even making plane and hotel reservations.
And, more importantly, it would limit the possibility of last minute Disney changes messing up people's plans.

I've had to adjust depending on what fastpasses I could get on what day so I'm with you that it should be in the fastpass window.. 60 days seems more than fair for everyone.

I am firmly putting myself in the "this was a douche-y move" camp. This was so unnecessary. Schedule the event more than 180 days out so that people can't make a reservation on that date. Hold it somewhere else. Get out of CYA mode and be proactive for crying out loud. Just no.

Does anyone think ahead at this place anymore? For an enormous company that's been in operation for years it seems really lacking in strategic planning. Was their 45th anniversary a surprise? As others have said, we as guests have to book ADRs and FPs, etc., etc., weeks in advance but Disney is changing park hours and adding in new events and changing entertainment schedules with little notice. GYST already! Maybe I'm missing something and there is some strategy behind this but it sure seems like poor planning to me.

2009 when Disney transitioned from all telephone to on line ADR booking it was 90 days for few months. with FP+ booking at 60 days, 180 days for ADRs seems such a long way out compared to FP+

The current system is completely absurd. I'd prefer a 30-day window, but if that's really too much of a hassle for Disney, at least go to 60 days like Disneyland. There's just no good reason to have to book restaurant reservations six months out.

Somebody should let the new outlets in the orlando area know what is going on. This is not right. People plan this out and its normal a highlight of a lot of people vacation. I remember as a little boy so 35 years ago getting to eat at the castle was a big deal to me . I even got engaged at the castle around 17 years ago. And we visit it once a year for dinner. My son first experince was this year and loved the sword he was given. I am so sorry to the people that been bumped. Shame on you Disney

Somebody should let the new outlets in the orlando area know what is going on. This is not right. People plan this out and its normal a highlight of a lot of people vacation. I remember as a little boy so 35 years ago getting to eat at the castle was a big deal to me . I even got engaged at the castle around 17 years ago. And we visit it once a year for dinner. My son first experince was this year and loved the sword he was given. I am so sorry to the people that been bumped. Shame on you Disney

Frankly, I thought that too. Bad press on this might be the only thing that stops this sort of thing from becoming precedent.

BUT, I don't feel it's my place to do so. I wasn't an affected party. Had I been, I wouldve contacted news outlets because I, and many others, feel the resolution isn't the issue, it's the mindset that made this okay in the first place.

They cancelled confirmed and paid for reservations for an advertised event. It's a slap in the face. When a venue cancells for a larger, more profitable event, it's usually a private affair with the venue fully booked by one party. They are advertising this event. Joe Q. Public could book this event if he chooses and has the money.

It's rather unprofessional at the very least. And a whole host of other negative connotations to say the least.

I don't expect this to happen, because they would lose their more immediate money-grab, but:

Since the first event is not till 1/31, Disney could score some PR points by postponing that first event to a time when there are no existing reservations. It would be a logistical nightmare to move that event, but they're already in the midst of one as I type this. Make a big splash like Coca Cola did when they very publicly admitted they screwed up with New Coke and went back to the previous formula. Coca Cola is richer for that these days, especially since they might have gone out of business sticking with New Coke. Sometimes admitting you're wrong can be a great thing.

Make a big splash like Coca Cola did when they very publicly admitted they screwed up with New Coke and went back to the previous formula

Oh you dont know the full story with that one? There's no original formula. It's why they called it classic coke instead of just Coke. They changed it and the change in name reflected it in a hidden way.

That's when they went from sugar to HFCS. And anyone who has had a Mexican bottled (for US market) coke can tell you there is a huge taste difference. Had a full ratatouille-style flashback to junior high lunch when i had my first sip of Mexican bottled coke.

There was no "my bad" moment on the part of coke then. It was all planned and was utterly brilliant marketing. And incredibly sneaky and rotten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter