Walt Disney World RIVER COUNTRY - ABANDONED !

Morons. I bet they' sue the pants off of Disney if they got hurt skulking around back there. Never a gator around when you need one. They weren't winning me over with their lousy production values and shoddy camera work either.

We had so much fun there in the mid to late 80's....looks like a mosquito haven in the photos in "ancestry"'s link above...how sad.

its amazing that disney has not pulled the video off the internet! i would think they would take it down right away. but its been up for a year. and i dont think they're any alligator in that area because its right next to the bbq pavillion and disney would have the area fenced off.

its amazing that disney has not pulled the video off the internet! i would think they would take it down right away. but its been up for a year. and i dont think they're any alligator in that area because its right next to the bbq pavillion and disney would have the area fenced off.

It's not much different than the guy who snuck in the Pop Century construction area a few years ago. It was a ghost town when it stopped in mid construction. He actually did have to hop a fence that had no trespassing wrote on it. Got some good footage of the partial construction and it's still on youtube.

It's not much different than the guy who snuck in the Pop Century construction area a few years ago. It was a ghost town when it stopped in mid construction. He actually did have to hop a fence that had no trespassing wrote on it. Got some good footage of the partial construction and it's still on youtube.

sweet! ill check it out and nice avatar hahaha FIX ME

I believe I read a post on the Camping Board that it had been leveled some time ago or at least they had started leveling it.

DH and I rented a pontoon boat in June of 2009 and rode over that way and you could see some of the area, but not much. We didn't hang around long though.

This video was taking in June of this year. If you notice in the comments section someone commented that they visited Fort Wilderness at the beginning of Sept and everything is still there.

http://youtu.be/ySMWaH3xQWk

River Country was still open the first time I went to Disney World on my honeymoon. We instead chose to go to Typhoon Lagoon. I SOOO regret that we didn't go to River Country instead. It looks so depressing :sad1:

hello dis boards! im new! but anyways i found this video of what river country is now. and its a must watch! here are my questions about the video
1. why is the music still playing after ten years?This is coming from Fort Wilderness.
2. why is the bathroom and water fountains still have fresh water?Ghost need restrooms, just like the living.
3. how did the guy get in the river country without getting caught?Came in under the cover of darkness.
4. why do they keep the lights on?Ghost are scared of the dark.
here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JwgmPEIDQ

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

Only Walt really knows.......:scared1:

It's obvious you are not supposed to be there. Ok let's just call it trespassing.

I believe if no signs are posted and the area is not fenced in it isn't trespassing.Now if someone from disney asks you to leave and you don't, thats a different story.I for one enjoyed seeing what it looks like now.Albeit poor footage it gives a great perspective on a once beautiful waterpark now left to rot away. I would love to look around in there too.As far as snakes and gators ,so what,been to the palm or magnolia golf courses lately.There are snakes and gators there too.I have seen them, not really an issue unless you bother them.I still agree with another poters idea,make a tour out of it and discovery island.Call it the deserted attraction tour.Betcha they would make a ton of dough on it and they wouldn't have to build anything!

As a fan of zombie and apocalyptic movies, I love pics and videos of abandoned locations ESPECIALLY when I've been there before. It's just creepy.

Wow, I was just wondering a while back what happened to River Country. It's a shame they closed it down and let it go. I remember thinking it was so cool as a kid, and it's something I would take my DC to see if it were still open :(

Trespassing or not, these guys truly gave some disquieting footage of River Country in it's present state. My family went to River Country during it's opening year and visited many more times before its closing. River Country will always be a great memory associated with my early Disney World trips, and I truly hope the area is re-vamped sometime in the future.

Wow, I was just wondering a while back what happened to River Country. It's a shame they closed it down and let it go. I remember thinking it was so cool as a kid, and it's something I would take my DC to see if it were still open :(

I was at RC twice, once when I was 16 and once when I had two sons 8 and 9.

You may have thought it was cool as a kid but as an adult you may see it was a bit of a nightmare.

The water not in the pool was brown, the lifeguards couldn't see 1 foot into the water and it was treated lake water.

The body slides dumped you into 6 feet of water, so you had to go ahead of your kid and tread water and try to catch them. I had two so I had to push one towards the rope and then wait for the next.

The pool was also 10 feet deep not very kid friendly.

As for why it closed, besides above it was hard to get to. When it was built it was in the middle of everything. Now its in a far corner of the world and if you told people there was a water park at the Disney Fort Wilderness Campground they would say 'WDW has a campground?'.

You may have thought it was cool as a kid but as an adult you may see it was a bit of a nightmare.

The water not in the pool was brown, the lifeguards couldn't see 1 foot into the water and it was treated lake water.

The body slides dumped you into 6 feet of water, so you had to go ahead of your kid and tread water and try to catch them. I had two so I had to push one towards the rope and then wait for the next.

The pool was also 10 feet deep not very kid friendly.

I never went to River Country but looking at pics and videos on the internet the above is exactly what I thought. Being an admittedly very overprotective father I don't think I would ever take my kids there if it were still open. It was built in an era where safety wasn't as much of a priority as it is now. I think this probably had a lot do with it's demise. Society as a whole is a lot more safety conscious AND a lot quicker to sue when people do get hurt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter