VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I agree. The liability of having a road used by more than the occasional supply vehicle (hopefully late at night) would seem to be high. Then again, I never thought they'd tear down so many trees to put up so many buildings. I do appreciate that it appears I can live with the cabin colors. I actually like the rust/redwood color--too bad the others aren't that color.

I'm pretty good with 3 of the colors. The sage green is my favorite. I actually like yellow on buildings but not here so I'm still going to cross my fingers that is a primer or that they'll change their mind. And like Granny I'm happy there are some trees and I'd also like to see more between the cabins and VWL. Of course, I don't get the lakeside so seeing the lake is a non-issue for me! :rotfl:

Hey Groupies, Tell me about Whispering Canyon Café. Do you prefer breakfast, lunch, or dinner? What's your opinions on the food? I know there are some shenanigans. Can you elaborate? Thanks!!

I have eaten Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner here. You will not go away hungry. First off, go for the Milkshakes! They are hands down the best in the world. Bottomless, and if you do the dining plan they are an included beverage choice (at least last time I was there). Breakfast & Dinner have a kind of endless platter thing that is a lot of food along with many other menu selections. This is a meat & potatoes / burger type of place, so you have to go in with a certain expectation. It's traditional American fare with a fun environment, just go with it. This is not the place for breakfast before racing to a park IMO however. I look at it as nothing I want to rush, but rather enjoy at a moderate pace. And then of course stroll the lobby post meal, grab a GJD on the rocks (evening only) and enjoy the wonders of the lodge itself.

It has not been unusual for Disney to file such paperwork merely to secure an area for possible changes to capture the area and freeze the present laws and restrictions on the use of said property if they believe their were coming changes that could restrict them. Case in point are the plans files for the expansion of Fort Wilderness, showing a large expansion toward the Golden Oaks area. If you remember, we all speculated about it being a DVC move then (~2010 / 2011 ? I'm sure someone can remember the timing.) Only time will tell; but don't we all love to jump in with the latest scuttle butt from the bus drivers?!?

I remember just not the timing. Still would have preferred that to what we're getting.

For those that don't visit the Expansion thread here's a link to some new photos. The restaurant does look like it's getting close on the outside and hopefully the inside too if they are opening in the next few weeks. Colors on the cabins also look to be the finish colors and are thankfully not pastel (other than the yellow). Looks fine although it's not my favorite design choice. I'm guessing that Old Yeller sitting by the rental building may be the model cabin.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/bo...xpansion-thread.3410778/page-85#post-57000006

And a few more showing the lake view now. It's not a view I've ever had nor I'm sure ever will - destined to always look at trees but, thankfully, I like trees. :hippie:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/bo...xpansion-thread.3410778/page-85#post-57000477

Thanks for the link Kathy! I often forget to check this thread.

I'm not surprised things are moving along rapidly at the restaurant. When we were there end of Dec. there were so many workers in & on top of the building. Really seemed to me they were ramping up construction.

I'm pretty good with 3 of the colors. The sage green is my favorite. I actually like yellow on buildings but not here so I'm still going to cross my fingers that is a primer or that they'll change their mind. And like Granny I'm happy there are some trees and I'd also like to see more between the cabins and VWL. Of course, I don't get the lakeside so seeing the lake is a non-issue for me! :rotfl:

I liked the sage too. Certainly better then the horrid pastels we were worried about.

And in other news DVD stole my BLT contract from me. :mad: Back to the drawing board. :sad2:

TGIF Groupies. I don't enjoy wishing my life away, but boy, I sure need another vacation. (Not to mention a new job!) ugh.

We've had both lunch and dinner there. My DH eats meat and drinks milk shakes, both which are endless there so he was VERY happy! :) I too enjoyed and consider it the standard BBQ fare found at a few other places around. The atmosphere is loud if you're there during normal dining periods and you can join in or not. Our lunch was actually just after arriving one afternoon while waiting for our room and it was very quiet. During that time the shenanigans were few or none at all - the busy times seem to lend more towards that.

Thank you! So dinner it is! Endless milkshakes sounds good to me! My DS will love that!

I have eaten Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner here. You will not go away hungry. First off, go for the Milkshakes! They are hands down the best in the world. Bottomless, and if you do the dining plan they are an included beverage choice (at least last time I was there). Breakfast & Dinner have a kind of endless platter thing that is a lot of food along with many other menu selections. This is a meat & potatoes / burger type of place, so you have to go in with a certain expectation. It's traditional American fare with a fun environment, just go with it. This is not the place for breakfast before racing to a park IMO however. I look at it as nothing I want to rush, but rather enjoy at a moderate pace. And then of course stroll the lobby post meal, grab a GJD on the rocks (evening only) and enjoy the wonders of the lodge itself.

Thanks I think my family will enjoy bottomless milkshakes! Especially my DS!

Thank you! So dinner it is! Endless milkshakes sounds good to me! My DS will love that!
Laura, I prefer breakfast, but for me, its more about the food at that point. We used to frequent WCC back in the day when the kids were younger, and we were staying at WL more(long story, but Ranger Stan was still there, and we didn't know other DVC resorts existed o_O). The dinner and lunch are very filling IMO if you get the skillet. But the skillet is part of the experience. I think you can order via the menu as well. But you will enjoy either way. The antics are worth it and you can work with the CM waitstaff to ensure you will get the experience.

Little side story...my DW Tammy(for those that know her here on the groupies, they know her to be a little shy), a fellow sitting beside our table, it was his Bday, so the waiter made him ride a stick horse around the place and and sing Happy Birthday to me! Well, he gets back, sits down, and all is well, until, until, Tammy speaks up and says, "he wasn't singing loud enough, I couldn't hear him!" So the waiter makes Tammy get up, and proceed to ride the stick horse and sing around the restaurant as loud as she can. Me and the kids sit there, mouths open, thinking to ourselves, what was she thinking!!:D

Laura, I prefer breakfast, but for me, its more about the food at that point. We used to frequent WCC back in the day when the kids were younger, and we were staying at WL more(long story, but Ranger Stan was still there, and we didn't know other DVC resorts existed o_O). The dinner and lunch are very filling IMO if you get the skillet. But the skillet is part of the experience. I think you can order via the menu as well. But you will enjoy either way. The antics are worth it and you can work with the CM waitstaff to ensure you will get the experience.

Little side story...my DW Tammy(for those that know her here on the groupies, they know her to be a little shy), a fellow sitting beside our table, it was his Bday, so the waiter made him ride a stick horse around the place and and sing Happy Birthday to me! Well, he gets back, sits down, and all is well, until, until, Tammy speaks up and says, "he wasn't singing loud enough, I couldn't hear him!" So the waiter makes Tammy get up, and proceed to ride the stick horse and sing around the restaurant as loud as she can. Me and the kids sit there, mouths open, thinking to ourselves, what was she thinking!!:D
Great and funny story, JT!

Laura, I prefer breakfast, but for me, its more about the food at that point.

I agree with Jimmy...as far as the food, we like breakfast best at WCC. And I think the waitstaff takes it cue from the guests as to how silly they get. If you interact with them and cut up a little bit, they will return the favor. If you have the "we're just here for the food" look, I think they'll respect that. They used to have the coasters with green on one side and red on the other to let the server know if you wanted the antics or not, but they weren't present at our meal there last year. I think it's a fun place to go, and I'm sure Laura and her family will enjoy it. :)

TGIF Groupies. I don't enjoy wishing my life away, but boy, I sure need another vacation. (Not to mention a new job!) ugh.

Corinne...prayers going up for you for your overall well-being. I hope your current job becomes more tolerable or that another opportunity presents itself to you. Best wishes. :)

I must chime in and say that I find the milkshakes at 50's Prime Time Cafe to be most excellent and the best I've ever had.

I agree. The liability of having a road used by more than the occasional supply vehicle (hopefully late at night) would seem to be high. Then again, I never thought they'd tear down so many trees to put up so many buildings. I do appreciate that it appears I can live with the cabin colors. I actually like the rust/redwood color--too bad the others aren't that color.

Really - there MUST be a service vehicle access road.....

Both the new restaurant, and new pool chlorination buildings require this. Basic FIRE prevention requires this. There will be an access road. It will not be a private vehicle road.
I'm rather glad that this was done.... could you imagine people using hand trucks to get basic FOOD to the new Restaurant? Or someone in "Cabin 12" with a medical emergency?
No.... this was the proper decision.

Here's a few pictures from that little West Coast park. I only had my phone along on this trip so nothing too fancy. My first park entry after arriving was into Disney's CA Adventure - so easy to get there from VGC!

First - ToT all covered up as it gets switched over to Guardians of the Galaxy:
20170111_162336_zps1nc5gvya.jpg

Flik!

20170111_162445_zpsuuv3w2rl.jpg

20170111_162924_zpsxywsnhxc.jpg

Christmas Decorations were still up - and gone the next day:

20170111_163213_zpsnsbunshz.jpg

20170111_175357_zps3k4xsw8x.jpg

20170111_165125_zpsqtduqfvq.jpg

20170111_165458_zps0ny0qkn5.jpg

Five, Four, Three, Two, One......

20170111_175219_zpsxzak3xxw.jpg

20170111_175056_zpsa03dd6zq.jpg

Another West Coast difference - clocks! So happy to have this in the room - it's a pet peeve of mine that WDW has removed them. So yes, I'm posting a picture of a clock! :laughing:

20170111_190848_zpsq7cjwmec.jpg

I decided not to go back into DCA to watch WOC so headed up to the viewing platform that is located on the 6th floor of VGC:

20170111_203206_zpseddtzeio.jpg

20170111_203453_zpslnrihw9i.jpg

20170111_204126_zpsftni8gof.jpg

Fireplaces are enjoyed here too:

20170111_204506_zpsdladvtvu.jpg

This first night it was just my niece and myself with the rest of the family arriving the following day. That morning the two of us were looking out at the rain and renovations going on in the pool area when there was a drip. Then another drip. We had rain coming in on the valance!

20170112_092633_zps54xlrbhk.jpg

This led to 4 different visits by different maintenance people as they tried to figure out where it was coming from. A mystery indeed. Though there was more rain during the trip it did not happen again.

Next, a few pictures from both the 5K and 10K Lightside races which were the main reason we were all there:

A little before race fun in the trash compactor:

20170113_045245_zpsls2fmszr.jpg

Note all the yawns going on and I think one or two people might have been sleeping while standing up!

20170113_052000_zpsoqyisp8w.jpg

20170113_062509_zpsuatbmhpo.jpg

20170113_062602_zpse4dg9kxc.jpg

20170113_063020_zps5cd66bh5.jpg

20170113_063322_zpslrrjdkug.jpg

The only "character" we got in line to get a picture with (of course):

20170113_063503_zpsztxwhhxk.jpg

20170113_063802_zpstvfvdzti.jpg

Great pics, KAT!

Dean, by not having a road, I primarily meant one that would be used by guests staying in the new cabins. I'm sure the service workers will have some sort of access, though I suspect it will be more along the lines of a broad pathway and not an actual road. I still have a hard time believing the hotel--with all the money spent on the new themes--will want to have actual trucks, especially big ones, running back and forth by the pool and cabins. I see smaller carts more along the lines of what you see at Poly, for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter