VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Welcome, Ariel! I do think you'll fit right in here and feel at home. If you're curious to know a little more about this thread, start on Page 1 (if you haven't already). However, it's certainly not a necessity to join right in. In fact, we always say the only requirement for the Groupies is to have a love of the Lodge (Lodge is all-inclusive to the main building and the DVC section)--no ownership here or anywhere else is needed. We have folks from all walks, age groups, and interests. What we all share is the joy of coming "home." DiznyDad posted a beautiful paragraph on the prior page about what the Lodge means to us.

VWL is a great spot for enjoying the World, in general, and MK, in particular. The boats are a wonderful benefit, and the buses run directly to MK from the Lodge, too. Even with the ongoing construction, the Lodge is a welcome and serene place to unwind after spending hours in a park. They have a relatively new kids' splash pad next to the main pool, and I'm sure your kids will love it.

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to seek us out. Pull up a rocker, grab your favorite libation, sit back, relax, and join in as you feel led to do. Spittoons are optional. ;)

Thank you so much for the welcome!!

ETA: I did read the first post in this thread and I will peruse some of the recent postings when I am not at work and have a bit more time!

Welcome Ariel ! View attachment 215599

I'm sure you'll have a great time at VWL. And an 8 night stay is a good way to enjoy WDW without burning out. :)

In addition to the boat to MK, there is also a bus. We always take the boat but I wanted you to be aware of your options. There is also a boat or two that circles the Bay Lake resorts of WL, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary/Bay Lake Towers. That can be handy to know if one shows up that is heading to Contemporary next...it may be faster than waiting for the MK boat since you can just walk from Contemporary to MK. Sometimes we do this just to walk around a bit...which is more important to us than saving time.

Likewise, you can use the same boat for an EPCOT return by taking the monorail (with connection) to Contemporary and then the boat to WL. It really isn't much different than taking the monorail to MK and then a boat to WL, unless the timing is near the end of Wishes. Then, any alternative to MK transportation is a good thing!

Enjoy your planning and your trip. Your boys are such a great age for the magic of WDW!! pixiedust:

Thank you so much for the information. Especially the part about the boat to Contemporary and then Monorail to TTC to Epcot. I didn't even think of that. I think that we will take the bus to MK in the mornings for rope drop, and probably drive to all the other parks (we will have our own car). But we will definitely take the boat for our midday breaks from MK and maybe we will try the boat/monorail combo for one of our Epcot mornings. Its good to have options, regardless!

Thanks, again!

Last edited:

I never thought about the boat to Contemporary and then monorail to TCC to Epcot.

Beware of the opposite in the evening as I have been caught waiting due to the Pirate cruise returning to Contemporary or, later, the Electrical Water Parade...

The boat to & from MK is awesome! After running around MK I love stepping out right to the landing and catching the boat to give my feet a rest on the way home....

Hi

Just found this thread, love it.

DVC member since 2015 at VWL

Love everything about the resort, kids love the log cabin theme and taking the boat to MK

Have stayed elsewhere and am trying OKW and YC in march

No matter where we stay there is something truly different about WL and it really feels like home

Hopefully with all the changes going on, once finished it will still have its charm/appeal

Wow, we are on a roll!!
Welcome to the groupies Ariel!!!!
Welcome to the groupies WhoDatDisney!!!!

I saw it on FB but didn't want to say anything here until you spilled the beans. Congratulations again! Such wonderful news. :goodvibes
party:Congratulations Grandpa! party:

Give Grandma a big hug from the rest of us! :hug:
Great news!party:
Well, thats the best news of the day! I guess I should go to FB more often :) That is just wonderful!
Congratulations! That is wonderful news!
Jimmy, just saw the fantastic news on FB!! Congrats to you and Tammy, and of course, to Kristian and Paul!!!
Congrats, JT and Mrs. JT!!
Jimmy...that's awesome news for you and Tammy! Prayers of gratitude and blessing going out for Paul & Kristian.

But the really big news is....CaptainD is gonna' be an UNCLE!!! :yay:

Aww, you groupies are the best!! Thanks everyone so much:grouphug:

New Groupies!:banana::banana:

:wave: Welcome Ariel and WhoDat

I second what Ron said about waiting at night. We've been 'stuck' at the Contemporary dock waiting on the Pirates Cruise a very long time.

Sometimes, if you time it just right, you'll be 'stuck' while on the boat and get to see Wishes from the water. Same with the Electric Water Parade.

. . . . . . . . . . , if you time it just right, you'll be 'stuck' while on the boat and get to see Wishes from the water. Same with the Electric Water Parade.

Yeah, Welcome Home Ariel and WhoDat! :welcome:

And I agree with DiznyDi . . . (I do want to go home tonight) . . . . that catching the Electric Water Parade while on the boat, especially when on Seven Seas Lagoon, is a real treat. They do have a boat that you can pay to see it from the water, but getting it free is more fun!

Hi

Just found this thread, love it.

DVC member since 2015 at VWL

Love everything about the resort, kids love the log cabin theme and taking the boat to MK

Have stayed elsewhere and am trying OKW and YC in march

No matter where we stay there is something truly different about WL and it really feels like home

Hopefully with all the changes going on, once finished it will still have its charm/appeal
Welcome home to your own personal rocker, WhoDat! Glad you found us! As I usually tell newcomers, feel free to read up a bit on Page 1 just to get a feel of who we are and how we roll. I dare say you won't find a friendlier, more supportive, more family-like group on the DIS than our Groupies. Also as I often say, if you feel like sharing trips on Page 1, just PM me; for birthdays/anniversaries PM KAT4DISNEY. Neither is required, of course, just if you wish. Otherwise, join in as your schedule or WantTo-ometer allows. Your words ring true for all of us here on this thread--there truly is something different about WL that makes it feel like a second home. ::yes::

I never thought about the boat to Contemporary and then monorail to TCC to Epcot.

We do this quite a bit. Or we take the boat to the Contemporary and the monorail to the MK or the Poly if we had a reservation at Kona. Sometimes we just do it to ride the monorail. ;)

I second what Ron said about waiting at night. We've been 'stuck' at the Contemporary dock waiting on the Pirates Cruise a very long time.

Sometimes, if you time it just right, you'll be 'stuck' while on the boat and get to see Wishes from the water. Same with the Electric Water Parade.
Thank you! And good to know on the waiting at night part.

Yeah, Welcome Home Ariel and WhoDat! :welcome:

And I agree with DiznyDi . . . (I do want to go home tonight) . . . . that catching the Electric Water Parade while on the boat, especially when on Seven Seas Lagoon, is a real treat. They do have a boat that you can pay to see it from the water, but getting it free is more fun!
Thank you!

Hi Groupies!!! I'm back from my DL trip and getting caught up on things. Wow - lots of new Groupies joining in - welcome to all!!! Sleepy has been doing an awesome job of inviting you to join in on our birthday and anniversary wishes so if you'd like to do so please send me a PM as we're always ready to celebrate!

One little tidbit I ran across in a post about CCV - a guide told someone they expect it to go on sale March 8th. Rumor of course but that's all we have at the moment!

Great news, I'm going to be a Grandpa y'all!! Kristian and Paul are expecting in Sept

Congratulations Grandpa Jimmy and Grandma Tammy!!!

I saw this on facebook too - your daughter had such adorable ways to share the news! I foresee lots of DVC trips with the next Disney generation! :simba:

One little tidbit I ran across in a post about CCV - a guide told someone they expect it to go on sale March 8th. Rumor of course but that's all we have at the moment!

Kathy...welcome back from DL. I hope it was a fun trip for you!

That's a pretty specific rumor. It does kind of tie into the timing of the announced new restaurant and pool openings. And some of those cabins look like they are pretty close to completion. I guess all they need is one as a showcase/model. What's harder to guess is how far along they are on the interior renovations. If they did start selling on March 8, when would they most likely be allowing the first bookings from a check-in date viewpoint?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter