• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Kathy...welcome back from DL. I hope it was a fun trip for you!

That's a pretty specific rumor. It does kind of tie into the timing of the announced new restaurant and pool openings. And some of those cabins look like they are pretty close to completion. I guess all they need is one as a showcase/model. What's harder to guess is how far along they are on the interior renovations. If they did start selling on March 8, when would they most likely be allowing the first bookings from a check-in date viewpoint?

Oh, sneaky mouse. Make everyone go to the new food service location, which (I'm betting) will just so happen to be right near the model. :) Timing would coincide with tax returns starting to come in too. Can't wait to see if this is what happens, as well as hearing the new price point.

17 more days and my family will be checking into the Villas in a deluxe studio. Cant wait - first time staying in this resort but have spent quite a bit of time visiting on other trips.
Hoping it may be warm enough to swim bc my son would love that kid play area. Were northerners so 70 is warm enough for us!
Our letter didnt say anything about Roaring Fork being closed. Curious to see what happens.

Hi Groupies!!! I'm back from my DL trip and getting caught up on things. Wow - lots of new Groupies joining in - welcome to all!!! Sleepy has been doing an awesome job of inviting you to join in on our birthday and anniversary wishes so if you'd like to do so please send me a PM as we're always ready to celebrate!

One little tidbit I ran across in a post about CCV - a guide told someone they expect it to go on sale March 8th. Rumor of course but that's all we have at the moment!

Welcome back Kathy!

I'd take anything a guide said with a grain of salt. Kind of like hearing it from a bus driver. o_O It's possible of course but I'd like to hear it from someone other than a guide.

Have you seen the news about some large construction project coming to Caribbean Beach Resort? There have been rumors in the past about that this might be the location for a new DVC resort (don't ask me how this would work with CBR being a moderate and such). My first thought was that they must be getting ready to start selling CCV pretty soon if they are moving on to the next project already. Permits have been filed saying construction will begin in 2017. Of course it might not be DVC related at all. However, with what @KAT4DISNEY has heared, it seems that the timing is right.

17 more days and my family will be checking into the Villas in a deluxe studio. Cant wait - first time staying in this resort but have spent quite a bit of time visiting on other trips.
Hoping it may be warm enough to swim bc my son would love that kid play area. Were northerners so 70 is warm enough for us!
Our letter didnt say anything about Roaring Fork being closed. Curious to see what happens.
Welcome to the Groupies! We hope you'll be a frequent visitor and join in the discussions. Obviously, you have good taste in resorts choosing to come to the Lodge, and if you don't mind cooler weather in which to swim, I'm sure you and your kiddos will be just fine. We have on video a trip from about five years ago when a true cold spell hit Florida. The topiaries were covered three nights to prevent frost, and the parks were fairly dead first thing in the morning since the temps hovered in the mid-30s to start. Still, there were people swimming in the main pool and a lifeguard trying his darndest to stay warm. Anyway, we hope you have a grand vacation. Keep us informed and as always, pics are welcomed! :thumbsup2

DizptchrAJ...Welcome to our little corner of the internet! As Sleepy indicated, the pools will be open and if 70 is warm enough for you then there's a good chance you'll be in luck. Today's high (Jan 19) is going to be 78 degrees! :sunny:

Have you seen the news about some large construction project coming to Caribbean Beach Resort? There have been rumors in the past about that this might be the location for a new DVC resort (don't ask me how this would work with CBR being a moderate and such). My first thought was that they must be getting ready to start selling CCV pretty soon if they are moving on to the next project already. Permits have been filed saying construction will begin in 2017. Of course it might not be DVC related at all. However, with what @KAT4DISNEY has heared, it seems that the timing is right.

Flossy...I saw on another site (that has Info about DVC )that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Inc. filed a permit application with South Florida Water Management District a couple of days ago. It looks like CBR is going to undergo some fairly major changes but it's not clear if it will be DVC or not. Some of the buildings appear to be slated for demolition but the permit application is mostly about water management.

The DVC at CBR rumor has been out there for a while. It is an interesting choice, and if CBR occupancy is running low then it may make sense for a DVC location. I had thought that the second BLT tower was more likely but I'm sure they wouldn't want to start that while still selling CCV points (since it would interfere with the view of MK). Still, the development at CBR is interesting and worth watching. :)

Hey Groupies, Tell me about Whispering Canyon Café. Do you prefer breakfast, lunch, or dinner? What's your opinions on the food? I know there are some shenanigans. Can you elaborate? Thanks!!

Hey Groupies, Tell me about Whispering Canyon Café. Do you prefer breakfast, lunch, or dinner? What's your opinions on the food? I know there are some shenanigans. Can you elaborate? Thanks!!
Hello, laura!! First, let me just say opinions are like, well, nostrils--everyone has them. pirate: That aside, the food is plentiful though not terribly exciting. I've only done dinner to be fair, but found the food to be a bit heavy-handed. Then again, it is a mostly ribs/BBQ/burger/beans/taters kind of joint (there are other options, certainly). In my three trips there, the service has been average to mediocre. The fun depends a lot upon what server you draw and how much you wish to be involved. Again, on all three trips our servers were reserved despite our attempts at frivolity. However, for every one person like me, there are a dozen who love the food and have loads of fun there. Therefore, I almost always tell folks to give it a shot to judge for themselves.

As for the fun, I'd say the main thing to do is let your server know you want to have fun (if, indeed, you do). I believe there may be a placard now that has one side indicating you want to have fun and the other indicating you just want to watch, essentially. Engage your server; tell him/her about any birthdays/anniversaries; joke with them. Also, you might consider asking for ketchup and straws. :rolleyes1:jester:

. . . . . . I saw on another site (that has Info about DVC )that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Inc. filed a permit application with South Florida Water Management District a couple of days ago. . . . . . :)

It has not been unusual for Disney to file such paperwork merely to secure an area for possible changes to capture the area and freeze the present laws and restrictions on the use of said property if they believe their were coming changes that could restrict them. Case in point are the plans files for the expansion of Fort Wilderness, showing a large expansion toward the Golden Oaks area. If you remember, we all speculated about it being a DVC move then (~2010 / 2011 ? I'm sure someone can remember the timing.) Only time will tell; but don't we all love to jump in with the latest scuttle butt from the bus drivers?!?

For those that don't visit the Expansion thread here's a link to some new photos. The restaurant does look like it's getting close on the outside and hopefully the inside too if they are opening in the next few weeks. Colors on the cabins also look to be the finish colors and are thankfully not pastel (other than the yellow). Looks fine although it's not my favorite design choice. I'm guessing that Old Yeller sitting by the rental building may be the model cabin.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/bo...xpansion-thread.3410778/page-85#post-57000006

And a few more showing the lake view now. It's not a view I've ever had nor I'm sure ever will - destined to always look at trees but, thankfully, I like trees. :hippie:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/bo...xpansion-thread.3410778/page-85#post-57000477

It has not been unusual for Disney to file such paperwork merely to secure an area for possible changes to capture the area and freeze the present laws and restrictions on the use of said property if they believe their were coming changes that could restrict them. Case in point are the plans files for the expansion of Fort Wilderness, showing a large expansion toward the Golden Oaks area. If you remember, we all speculated about it being a DVC move then (~2010 / 2011 ? I'm sure someone can remember the timing.)
Yes, I remember that and there was another FW plan showing a DVC pretty much on the site of River Country. I'm sure Disney floats these ideas all the time and may not follow up on them.

Only time will tell; but don't we all love to jump in with the latest scuttle butt from the bus drivers?!?

You got it!!! :thumbsup2

For those that don't visit the Expansion thread here's a link to some new photos. The restaurant does look like it's getting close on the outside and hopefully the inside too if they are opening in the next few weeks. Colors on the cabins also look to be the finish colors and are thankfully not pastel (other than the yellow). Looks fine although it's not my favorite design choice. I'm guessing that Old Yeller sitting by the rental building may be the model cabin.

Thanks for posting the links, Kathy. It does look like things are moving along though the pool seems to need a lot of work to be ready by summer. I am kind of neutral on the cabin colors....not offensive but I don't know why they felt like they should go to a color spectrum instead of one good color (like the Poly bungalows).

What I am glad to see, and hope it fills out more, is the strip of vegetation between VWL & the cabins:

20170116-img_5523-edit-jpg.215987

It needs a lot more trees but if they could create a "tree wall" that would go a long way towards restoring the cozy feel of VWL. Of course, I'm sure that many would prefer a view of the lake to the trees, but I guess I'm just thinking about what we used to have.

Hello, laura!! First, let me just say opinions are like, well, nostrils--everyone has them. pirate: That aside, the food is plentiful though not terribly exciting. I've only done dinner to be fair, but found the food to be a bit heavy-handed. Then again, it is a mostly ribs/BBQ/burger/beans/taters kind of joint (there are other options, certainly). In my three trips there, the service has been average to mediocre. The fun depends a lot upon what server you draw and how much you wish to be involved. Again, on all three trips our servers were reserved despite our attempts at frivolity. However, for every one person like me, there are a dozen who love the food and have loads of fun there. Therefore, I almost always tell folks to give it a shot to judge for themselves.

As for the fun, I'd say the main thing to do is let your server know you want to have fun (if, indeed, you do). I believe there may be a placard now that has one side indicating you want to have fun and the other indicating you just want to watch, essentially. Engage your server; tell him/her about any birthdays/anniversaries; joke with them. Also, you might consider asking for ketchup and straws. :rolleyes1:jester:

Thank you. We really enjoy 50's Prime Time so I was thinking we might enjoy Whispering Canyon.

Do you think that will be a road between the villas and the trees or just a wide path? Hoping it's not a road.

We've had both lunch and dinner there. My DH eats meat and drinks milk shakes, both which are endless there so he was VERY happy! :) I too enjoyed and consider it the standard BBQ fare found at a few other places around. The atmosphere is loud if you're there during normal dining periods and you can join in or not. Our lunch was actually just after arriving one afternoon while waiting for our room and it was very quiet. During that time the shenanigans were few or none at all - the busy times seem to lend more towards that.

Do you think that will be a road between the villas and the trees or just a wide path? Hoping it's not a road.

From the plans I'd say it's a path more than a road. It wouldn't surprise me to discover it's wide enough for a decent size vehicle as they are going to have to supply the new restaurant somehow.

Thanks for posting the links, Kathy. It does look like things are moving along though the pool seems to need a lot of work to be ready by summer. I am kind of neutral on the cabin colors....not offensive but I don't know why they felt like they should go to a color spectrum instead of one good color (like the Poly bungalows).

What I am glad to see, and hope it fills out more, is the strip of vegetation between VWL & the cabins:

20170116-img_5523-edit-jpg.215987

It needs a lot more trees but if they could create a "tree wall" that would go a long way towards restoring the cozy feel of VWL. Of course, I'm sure that many would prefer a view of the lake to the trees, but I guess I'm just thinking about what we used to have.

Note: We have photo confirmation posted today (another board) - "I am kind of neutral on the cabin colors." ....
Those are not the colors. They are indeed colored primer. A known "pink" cabin is now a solid Redwood - shown, and observed.

You have no idea how happy I am about this....

Note: We have photo confirmation posted today (another board) - "I am kind of neutral on the cabin colors." ....
Those are not the colors. They are indeed colored primer. A known "pink" cabin is now a solid Redwood - shown, and observed.

You have no idea how happy I am about this....

The pictures linked show one of the cabins with the redwood finish I believe you are referring to. Others are different colors. Sage, tan and seemingly the yellow.

From the plans I'd say it's a path more than a road. It wouldn't surprise me to discover it's wide enough for a decent size vehicle as they are going to have to supply the new restaurant somehow.
I agree. The liability of having a road used by more than the occasional supply vehicle (hopefully late at night) would seem to be high. Then again, I never thought they'd tear down so many trees to put up so many buildings. I do appreciate that it appears I can live with the cabin colors. I actually like the rust/redwood color--too bad the others aren't that color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter