Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Just got to chip in here and say I'm so glad to have found this thread!

Everyones input through posts and reviews will prove to be an invaluable resource the next time we're in the world!

Hopefully I can add to it along the way from our next trip :)

Last edited:
plaza.jpg
I'd love some reviews of The Plaza. We made lunch res there because of some reviews I found online from a couple of years ago.

If anyone has been there recently, please share. Thanks!

Here is the sandwich I had a couple of years ago at the Plaza. Not sure if it is the same they serve today, but it was very good.

Here is the sandwich I had a couple of years ago at the Plaza. Not sure if it is the same they serve today, but it was very good.
Looks good! I also read about the milkshakes. I think we might wait a while after lunch and grab one at the ice cream bar.

I'd love some reviews of The Plaza. We made lunch res there because of some reviews I found online from a couple of years ago.

If anyone has been there recently, please share. Thanks!
We ate there in December and thought it was good. I can't remember if the sandwich was on the menu at that time or not but DH and I both ordered the veggie burger. I liked it and I love their French fries! I also had a mint chip milkshake for dessert - delicious!!

So another question: What are some of your favorite quick service restaurants for veg/vegan food? This is something I do not have planned at all.

We made lunch ADRs so that we could sit down for an hour in the middle of the day and rest. But I didn't want to do any dinner ADRs in case we decide to eat back at the campground.

I'd like to have some options ready to choose from. I have the mornings planned but have left the afternoons/evenings open.

HS was tough for me. I would most likely eat at Mama Melrose and have spaghetti with marinara, or 50's and have a plain Caesar salad and onion rings.

Most of the restaurants and resort restaurants have a vegetarian dish that can be vegan so there are tons of choices!!!

Does the Caesar dressing have anchovies in it? If so, not vegetarian. And, the onion rings likely have a milk based batter so they would not be suitable for a vegan but would be okay for vegetarian who eat dairy. Also, for vegans, they may want to check to make sure the marinara sauce doesn't have cheese added to it - some chefs like to add parmesan rinds to their sauce.

So another question: What are some of your favorite quick service restaurants for veg/vegan food? This is something I do not have planned at all.

We made lunch ADRs so that we could sit down for an hour in the middle of the day and rest. But I didn't want to do any dinner ADRs in case we decide to eat back at the campground.

I'd like to have some options ready to choose from. I have the mornings planned but have left the afternoons/evenings open.

I am a vegetarian so won't be much help with vegan options but my favourites are at Magic Kingdom - Pinocchio Village Haus (I like the caprese flatbread) and Columbia Harbor House for the lighthouse sandwich. They also have a vegetarian chili but I have never tried it.

Hi all-- my family has been looking forward to our first visit to 'Ohana, particularly my daughter and me, who are both vegetarian. Now I'm on the fence, after reading the Disney Hipsters review (http://www.disneyhipsters.com/2016/05/vegetarian-dinner-at-ohana.html). Somewhere along the line, I had gotten it in my head that vegetarians could get tofu along with the noodle and veggie dish, but according to the DH review, there's no tofu, and when the carnivores are getting their meat skewers, vegetarians are presented with chips and dip (fancy, but chips and dip nonetheless) for their meal.:crazy2: This is our Thanksgiving meal, paid out of pocket, and now I'm not sure whether I want to keep our hard won reservation! Any thoughts?

Hi all-- my family has been looking forward to our first visit to 'Ohana, particularly my daughter and me, who are both vegetarian. Now I'm on the fence, after reading the Disney Hipsters review (http://www.disneyhipsters.com/2016/05/vegetarian-dinner-at-ohana.html). Somewhere along the line, I had gotten it in my head that vegetarians could get tofu along with the noodle and veggie dish, but according to the DH review, there's no tofu, and when the carnivores are getting their meat skewers, vegetarians are presented with chips and dip (fancy, but chips and dip nonetheless) for their meal.:crazy2: This is our Thanksgiving meal, paid out of pocket, and now I'm not sure whether I want to keep our hard won reservation! Any thoughts?

I am a strict vegetarian. DH and I went to Ohana twice and both visits were less than stellar. The first time was when the infamous Chef TJ was there, but of course we ended up going on his night off. The chef on duty that night was definitely not interested in making anything special and was actually quite rude when he came to our table (at our waiter's insistance, not mine) to discuss my "special needs". I knew about Chef TJ's spectacular vegetarian/vegan creations, but I didn't expect any special treatment. I would have been fine with extra salad, bread and noodles but the attitude of the chef (who eventually sent me a horrible mess of undercooked rice drenched in a very sticky sweet sauce) and the servers who insisted on dropping meat in front of me every time they came to the table was a turn-off. However, in the spirit of "everyone has a bad night", we tried it again and it was pretty much the same.

I'm pretty sure the hummus and chips are given to vegetarians as part of the appetizer round now and not intended to be their main meal. If you are okay with making a meal out of the sides, you should be fine. You might be surprised with a special vegetarian entree (I've heard rumors of a tofu stir fry), but if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed if you don't get it. For us, it's the poor service that will keep us from going back.

Since it's your Thanksgiving meal and you're paying out of pocket, you might want to consider an alternative. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!!!

Thank you. Ugh!!!!! That's a bummer! And to think, I cancelled Narcoossee's- which was our second choice- when we got 'Ohana!
I am a strict vegetarian. DH and I went to Ohana twice and both visits were less than stellar. The first time was when the infamous Chef TJ was there, but of course we ended up going on his night off. The chef on duty that night was definitely not interested in making anything special and was actually quite rude when he came to our table (at our waiter's insistance, not mine) to discuss my "special needs". I knew about Chef TJ's spectacular vegetarian/vegan creations, but I didn't expect any special treatment. I would have been fine with extra salad, bread and noodles but the attitude of the chef (who eventually sent me a horrible mess of undercooked rice drenched in a very sticky sweet sauce) and the servers who insisted on dropping meat in front of me every time they came to the table was a turn-off. However, in the spirit of "everyone has a bad night", we tried it again and it was pretty much the same.

I'm pretty sure the hummus and chips are given to vegetarians as part of the appetizer round now and not intended to be their main meal. If you are okay with making a meal out of the sides, you should be fine. You might be surprised with a special vegetarian entree (I've heard rumors of a tofu stir fry), but if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed if you don't get it. For us, it's the poor service that will keep us from going back.

Since it's your Thanksgiving meal and you're paying out of pocket, you might want to consider an alternative. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!!!

We ate at 'Ohana for the first time in May. We enjoyed it. The "chips and dip" was actually pita and 3 different kinds of hummus. It was served as an appetizer, not the main course. We like hummus and this was very tasty. For our entree they made us a stir fry dish with tofu so between that and the hummus we got plenty of protein. They also brought out the noodles and veg which was totally redundant since it was just like the stir fry dish but without the tofu. I enjoyed the dessert. DH is not a fan of bread pudding so they brought him cake and ice cream instead.

It's an expensive meal but we enjoyed it and based on our experience we would eat dinner there again in the future but would tell them to skip the redundant noodle dish. The only disappointing thing was the bread. I had read so many reviews praising it but we didn't get any butter (maybe they thought we were vegan?) so it was kind of dry and not worth eating in my opinion. Just as well because they served us way too much food so it was good we did not fill up on bread at the start of the meal.

Thanks! Now THIS sounds more like what I'd heard originally, and is why I made the reservation to begin with! Do you think this is a head chef vs stand-in chef thing? Who'd be more likely to work on Thanksgiving, I wonder?o_O

We ate at 'Ohana for the first time in May. We enjoyed it. The "chips and dip" was actually pita and 3 different kinds of hummus. It was served as an appetizer, not the main course. We like hummus and this was very tasty. For our entree they made us a stir fry dish with tofu so between that and the hummus we got plenty of protein. They also brought out the noodles and veg which was totally redundant since it was just like the stir fry dish but without the tofu. I enjoyed the dessert. DH is not a fan of bread pudding so they brought him cake and ice cream instead.

It's an expensive meal but we enjoyed it and based on our experience we would eat dinner there again in the future but would tell them to skip the redundant noodle dish. The only disappointing thing was the bread. I had read so many reviews praising it but we didn't get any butter (maybe they thought we were vegan?) so it was kind of dry and not worth eating in my opinion. Just as well because they served us way too much food so it was good we did not fill up on bread at the start of the meal.

Aside from Columbia Harbour House, I really like Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. :)

Oh wow, that all looks fantastic! Did you have that recently?
No, that was at least a few years ago. I wish I knew the Chef's name as he came out and talked to me first. When we went back a trip after this one, that Chef wasn't there (I asked) and they just brought the stir fry option- it seems this is what is on the menu next door at Kona Cafe. I will look for a picture of that meal.

I am taking two teens, one is vegan and the other is a vegetarian. We will be using the dining plan and I want to book one 2 TS credit meal, anyone have recommendations?

Do you think this is a head chef vs stand-in chef thing? Who'd be more likely to work on Thanksgiving, I wonder?o_O
Good question. I cannot remember if a chef came out to talk to us or if it was the server who explained they could prepare a tofu stir fry for us.

Given Disney Hipster's experience, it's probably a good idea to tell your server you are vegetarian and ask what they typically do, just to get things sorted out up front. When we checked in at the podium, we mentioned we are both vegetarian and the CM noted it in the system. When our server came to the table, I mentioned it to her as well just in case but she said that she already knew. It may have been at that point that she explained about the tofu stir fry and asked if that worked for us.

This is a what I received as a vegetarian at Ohana. Other times, I've had the regular tofu-stir fry, as well.

Hummus appetizer:
View attachment 175943

Another appetizer:
View attachment 175945
and the main course:
View attachment 175944

WOW!!! That is definitely NOT what I got on the two times we were there. If this was the current vegetarian offering, I'd definitely give it another try. I just have that "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter