Vaccines now mandatory 12 and up for Disney cruises

Technically it is only Bahamas. However, DCL is only sailing from FL right now. It will be interesting to see what CA requires when the Wonder begins sailing from San Diego.
I am anxiously awaiting an announcement from DCL on these. When I asked shoreside last week they said "in the coming weeks"...

Unfortunately this is a fringe type situation that is going to happen to a very small percentage of people. You have to have an 11 year old that is going to be turning 12 within say 6 weeks of the cruise date compared to every other age group that is not affected. Yes it really sucks for those few that it will happen to. Those people will have to change the date of their cruise (which I'm sure that most of us have done multiple times already) or request a refund. All of the policies address this issue. They state that unvaccinated children 12 and up cannot cruise. It is the policy, it is just not the policy a very small affected percentage wish to hear.
Now that Pfizer has full FDA approval, doctors are allowed to use it off-label, which means they can vaccinate kids under age 12 at their discretion. So, if anybody has a younger child - especially one who is close to age 12 - it's worth asking the doctor for an early shot if you need one to sail.

If this has already been asked, I apologize. Since it is stated on DCL's site, if you are fully vaccinated and wish to disclose this, you can bypass all the pre-testing for embarkation. Now, I realize that Disney is now to be fully vaccinated cruises, so my question is: If everyone is to be fully vaccinated, does that also mean that there will be no pre-testing needed to embark? My guess is that if it currently isn't, it will soon be. Just wondering. Not trying to cause a riff. : )

If this has already been asked, I apologize. Since it is stated on DCL's site, if you are fully vaccinated and wish to disclose this, you can bypass all the pre-testing for embarkation. Now, I realize that Disney is now to be fully vaccinated cruises, so my question is: If everyone is to be fully vaccinated, does that also mean that there will be no pre-testing needed to embark? My guess is that if it currently isn't, it will soon be. Just wondering. Not trying to cause a riff. : )

Very likely as this is the case with The Magic UK cruises. Everyone has to be vaccinated and upload proof of vaccine during online check in and then at the port everyone gets a Covid test before boarding.

I'm of two thoughts on this.

1. Fully vaccinated = no testing. So, testing will be limited, remember there are still under 12s onboard who will need to be tested.

2. Fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't catch COVID. Vaccinated people can catch the delta variant and spread it. So, maybe, testing will actually be expanded to everyone.

I'm of two thoughts on this.

1. Fully vaccinated = no testing. So, testing will be limited, remember there are still under 12s onboard who will need to be tested.

2. Fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't catch COVID. Vaccinated people can catch the delta variant and spread it. So, maybe, testing will actually be expanded to everyone.

Royal and Celebrity (at least) are requiring testing within 3 days of cruising for everyone. Honestly I think that is the way to go because of your reason 2.

If they want to sail longer than 4 nights, they are going to have to do on-board testing. Seems smart to test everyone before they get on board to catch those vaccinated who might be asymptomatic. (I realize it's not a failproof plan, but it would help cut down on positive cases mid-week.)

You can still sail unvaccinated if you are under 12 years old. Those passengers will still require pre-testing.

Now that Pfizer has full FDA approval, doctors are allowed to use it off-label, which means they can vaccinate kids under age 12 at their discretion. So, if anybody has a younger child - especially one who is close to age 12 - it's worth asking the doctor for an early shot if you need one to sail.

I appologize if this is too far off subject. I just don't want anyone close to 12 thinking this is a fall back option to keep your cruise if rules change for future dates and you have someone turning 12 right near your sail date. I am a pediatrician. We can't do this. This is not the same as a medication prescription off label. The vaccine doses are owned by the federal government. We apply for approval to distribute them. Since full approval I have gotten almost daily emails warning me that if I provide vaccines off label under 12 I will lose the approval to distribute any further doses and would not be covered by the federal vaccine compensation fund (essentially malpractice coverage for vaccines) for any adverse events related to those off label doses.

Even if Disney decides to make that change it'll take them 3 weeks to get it through their approval process and another 2 weeks to communicate it to customers. :confused3
We're expecting this to happen and are planning to get tested a few days before our cruise in October.

I was watching this development thinking it didn’t affect us. I just realized it might. My son turns 12 on 9/6/22 and we have a Dream cruise booked for 10/10/22. If he gets the shot 9/6 and 9/27… two weeks later is 10/11. Now if the shot day counts as day 1…then 10/10 is day 14. Yikes. This is during Fall Break and I’m a teacher so we can’t move it slightly back, but could move it to the Holidays at a big price increase. Now it seems very likely he’ll be able to get it as an 11 year old in the next year…. But I better pay attention!

I was watching this development thinking it didn’t affect us. I just realized it might. My son turns 12 on 9/6/22 and we have a Dream cruise booked for 10/10/22. If he gets the shot 9/6 and 9/27… two weeks later is 10/11. Now if the shot day counts as day 1…then 10/10 is day 14. Yikes. This is during Fall Break and I’m a teacher so we can’t move it slightly back, but could move it to the Holidays at a big price increase. Now it seems very likely he’ll be able to get it as an 11 year old in the next year…. But I better pay attention!
I would think that by 2022 the 5-11s would be authorized for emergency use (at least) by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter