• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Vaccines now mandatory 12 and up for Disney cruises

The policy only exists until Nov 1 and matches the Bahama's temporary rules. I don't think DCL wants to collect medical records if they don't have to that is why they didn't make it permanent.

When 5-11 are approved I wonder if there will be a grace period for them to have a chance to get vaccinated.
Maybe, maybe not. The Bahamas have made this rule to protect their people. The virus is wreaking havoc there right now. Whether a foreign kid misses a vacation opportunity may not be of much concern to them.

I don't think DCL wants to collect medical records if they don't have to that is why they didn't make it permanent
No medical records to collect. Just vaccine proof - a card or piece of paper. And for most it’s collected digitally by a third party, not DCL.

Sovereign nations, such as The Bahamas, can mandate anything they choose for entry to their sovereign nation. All DCL can do is decide if they wish to play, after which passengers make their choice.

That said, given the exposure of the cruise industry to the Bahamas, most lines will play.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. The Bahamas have made this rule to protect their people. The virus is wreaking havoc there right now. Whether a foreign kid misses a vacation opportunity may not be of much concern to them.

No medical records to collect. Just vaccine proof - a card or piece of paper. And for most it’s collected digitally by a third party, not DCL.
Also, important note is that DCL and Disney are not covered by HIPAA. They are not an entity covered by the rule. As a passenger giving them your info willingly, they have limited rules on their handling of the info.

The amount of people that booked and joined the Aug 30 cruise group in the last couple days is bananas. Everyone is jumping on that, and I have a feeling it's gonna be the busiest yet :(

I'm on that cruise. we Only gained 1 person so far today. We were at 278 this morning and now 279. I’m sure they’re coming. other than this cruise went VGT several weeks ago, it’s also available at a discount to other groups too. It went up 100 since I joined 1 month ago. I mentioned to my husband today I would like to move it to another date, but he really wants to go. I think it’s going to be very crowded and busy. I see a lot of unhappy kids being limited to the 10 minute pool limit. I’m just happy I booked the extended veranda so I can away if it gets too busy.

I'm on that cruise. we Only gained 1 person so far today. We were at 278 this morning and now 279. I’m sure they’re coming. other than this cruise went VGT several weeks ago, it’s also available at a discount to other groups too. It went up 100 since I joined 1 month ago. I mentioned to my husband today I would like to move it to another date, but he really wants to go. I think it’s going to be very crowded and busy. I see a lot of unhappy kids being limited to the 10 minute pool limit. I’m just happy I booked the extended veranda so I can away if it gets too busy.

.... and they just opened up some inside rooms and gty oceanview. I want to change to another date, but it just doesn't work right now.

It didn't even occur to me that there were individual FB groups for specific cruises! The group for our cruise on Nov 14th has 392 members, so having 279 for a cruise happening a week away doesn't sound like that many to me! :)

I have a friend that did that for her twins. They had appointments for the day they turned 12. Happy birthday, boys, here's ya shots!
My daughter turned 12 about two days before it was opened for 12-year-olds; she got her first shot a day later. The same happened to my son when he turned 16 a few weeks earlier! Her BFF is slightly younger and couldn't wait to get hers and did as soon as she turned 12. I do feel for those with younger kids. We're heading to NYC on Saturday and there's a ton of things we've got planned that would be impossible if we weren't all 12+ and vaxxed.

To try to get back on topic, I am eagerly awaiting the trip reports of the fully-vaxxed cruises and how Disney adapts things on the ship and if the rules will be relaxed somewhat. We already saw some of the stated rules being relaxed during the first Dream cruise.

The amount of people that booked and joined the Aug 30 cruise group in the last couple days is bananas. Everyone is jumping on that, and I have a feeling it's gonna be the busiest yet :(
I booked 5 days ago to get in before the vaccine mandate. I also got a pretty good VGT rate and a good AP rate at the Hardrock.

The 9/3 sailing's FB group has been hovering around 330 members for a while now. I've seen a few drop and join over the past week.

About 10 families so far have indicated they have to cancel or reschedule for various reasons. The most commonly mentioned one is they have children turning 12 just a few days before the cruise, or have already received their first shot but won't have enough time to get the second before the cruise.

I expected this news, but I'm very surprised that they didn't take this opportunity to add "testing for all" to their protocols.
Are they the only cruise line not testing vaccinated people for covid?

We just got off another cruise line and they were not testing vaccinated people. You could at your own expense if you wanted to at the port, but not a requirement. It was a 7-night, and no required embarkation, mid-cruise, or debarkation testing for unvaccinated.

Has anyone on the upcoming sailings been contacted by Disney in another method other than the email?

So far the email is all we have gotten, but everyone in our group that is over 12 has already uploaded a vaccine card so I wasn't expecting anything. I'm just curious if they are being more proactive to prevent issues at the port again.

Coming from Canada we are in a similar position in that our 13 yr old DD is now fully vaccinated with Pfizer but both DH and I have AZ/Moderna so fully vaccinated here but not according to the US CDC so we still can't cruise 🤦😈
Yeah I was thinking of Canadian folks when I read the email. A good what, 1/3 of Canada has a mix of AZ as their 1st shot and then the 2nd mRNA? They're basically alienating millions of Canadians with this (current) guideline.
My family and I are in the same boat....My DH and I are AZ/Moderna and are kids are fully vaccinated with Pfizer....I hope our government will either allow us to get a 3rd dose or have AstraZeneca and an MRNA recognized as fully vaccinated before my cruise in March 2022.

Get vaccinated as soon as you can they say (got AZ), you will be more protected if you take Pf/Moderna as your second they say (got moderna)...= lots of us in this boat...hopefully we have a solution soon!

Hey guys, I don't moderate this board but I do read here often because I love cruising DCL. Let's respect the board rules and keep this thread on topic -- vaccines now required for cruising. Hypotheticals of other industries, even if somewhat related, only sends the thread off on tangents which is likely to get it closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter