Tortured on using DME. Any advice appreciated

Well....
Saying that you're not trying to come off snarky, when if fact you are trying to come off snarky, but you think if you deny it before the fact that you'll get away with it, is just like saying, "Not to change the subject." and then promptly changing the subject.
Why not be honest about it and say, ""I'm real damn nosy and I think you should tell me whatever I want to know about your life's decisions."
Honest answer.
None of your business..........:D
This is the most perfect response to another post i have ever read. Well done I must say!

Ask for wheelchair service.
My mother went with us one trip..she had knee replacement done before we went. She had healed but as expected..kinda tough to walk a long time. If i offered that suggestion. I would be a 48 year old man that got slapped by my mother lol.

Ask for wheelchair service.
No thank you.....

My mother went with us one trip..she had knee replacement done before we went. She had healed but as expected..kinda tough to walk a long time. If i offered that suggestion. I would be a 48 year old man that got slapped by my mother lol.
And you'd have deserved it........JK . :D
It's bad enough to have to use a damn ECV to go the multiple miles per day at Disney but I'll not be hauled around an airport by some person in a Bellhop uniform.
I made the trip to the DME pick up area on foot (Well, actually one foot and one cane.) even though it took a lot longer than I would have taken just two years ago.
I'm still not used to having mobility problems and will try to do as much as possible without assistance.

Mears was sold. AFAIK uber isn't the owner. Rumor is Mears may concentrate on limo end of the business.
This was from the April 18 2019 Orlando Sentinel. I am not sure how the deal was structured but Uber does control Mears now is my understanding-

“The changing relationship between former adversaries Uber and taxi companies is taking a major leap into uncharted territory, and Orlando will be the proving ground.

Beginning Friday, a new icon will pop up on the screens of Uber users across the area: UberTaxi. As the name suggests, the product merges the two competing groups, making taxis available on the Uber app.

In Orlando, UberTaxi will be revamped through a first-of-its-kind partnership with Mears Transportation, one of the largest taxi companies in the Southeast U.S., that will merge ride-share and cabs in an unprecedented way.”

When you're sixty eight years old, need a cane to walk, and have three pieces of luggage, it's a l----o----n----g walk to the DME pickup area. :)
Discussions are intended to, possibly, offer help and advice to the poster but ALSO to benefit others reading a thread. The image of person with a cane struggling with 3 bags presents an issue people would like to help.
Some ideas:
  1. Reduce or eliminate the number of bags by using magical delivery for some or all of your checked bags
  2. Reduce walking distance by using ride share, car service or even taxi
  3. Obtain assistance. Could be a wheelchair or just tip a porter to assist with luggage OR
  4. man up / suck it up
Obviously you went with 4. We have no idea as to the extent of your mobility issues. 4 makes sense if the issue isn't as bad as we're inferring. People reading this thread, with mobility issues, might want to use 1, 2 or 3.

You have a preference for not using magical delivery. Your choice. A poster who asks why isn't necessarily being nosy. A few years ago one poster, arriving early evening, wanted their luggage so they could enjoy an adult beverage with spirits packed in their checked luggage. That poster appreciated the suggestion of filling their 3-1-1 baggie with miniature liquor bottles. The poster hadn't thought of doing that. Poster thought 2 or 3 min bottles would be enough until they could buy a bottle from the resort.

edited to add: The smallest bottle of some contact lens solutions is 4 ounces. Some posters don't realize that contact lens solution is a medical exception to the 3-1-1 rule.

Last edited:
Well....
Saying that you're not trying to come off snarky, when if fact you are trying to come off snarky, but you think if you deny it before the fact that you'll get away with it, is just like saying, "Not to change the subject." and then promptly changing the subject.
Why not be honest about it and say, ""I'm real damn nosy and I think you should tell me whatever I want to know about your life's decisions."
Honest answer.
None of your business..........:D

This is the most perfect response to another post i have ever read. Well done I must say!

I know everyone knows me so well, but I was NOT trying to be snarky. I simply said that because its hard to tell tone in text, and I didn't want it to be read as abrasive. I've said this on many other posts on this forum for that reason. I was genuinely inquiring why someone would need their checked luggage right away - I couldn't think of a reason why I would, so was curious as to what reasons there might be that I'm not considering. If you don't want to explain, that's fine, but no need to respond so rude and sarcastically when you're the one who brought it up first. This is a discussion forum, after all.

Last edited:

Discussions are intended to, possibly, offer help and advice to the poster but ALSO to benefit others reading a thread. The image of person with a cane struggling with 3 bags presents an issue people would like to help.
Some ideas:
  1. Reduce or eliminate the number of bags by using magical delivery for some or all of your checked bags
  3. Obtain assistance. Could be a wheelchair or just tip a porter to assist with luggage OR
  4. man up / suck it up
Obviously you went with 4. We have no idea as to the extent of your mobility issues. 4 makes sense if the issue isn't as bad as we're inferring. People reading this thread, with mobility issues, might want to use 1, 2 or 3.

You have a preference for not using magical delivery. Your choice. A poster who asks why isn't necessarily being nosy. A few years ago one poster, arriving early evening, wanted their luggage so they could enjoy an adult beverage with spirits packed in their checked luggage. That poster appreciated the suggestion of filling their 3-1-1 baggie with miniature liquor bottles. The poster hadn't thought of doing that. Poster thought 2 or 3 min bottles would be enough until they could buy a bottle from the resort.

edited to add: The smallest bottle of some contact lens solutions is 4 ounces. Some posters don't realize that contact lens solution is a medical exception to the 3-1-1 rule.
Yeah but explain that to the less than on top of things TSA Agents. Thankfully, all the brands I've seen in the stores now make them less than 4 oz

I used to always drive to WDW or rent a car when flying in. Yes, it is nice to have a car. BUT, the last two to three years, I've been using DME and ordering groceries through Amazon Prime NOW. I check my luggage, except for my laptop, and DME takes care of it, so it is really nice. I really don't miss my car much. It is different not having a car. Not bad, just different.

I know everyone knows me so well, but I was NOT trying to be snarky. I simply said that because its hard to tell tone in text, and I didn't want it to be read as abrasive. I've said this on many other posts on this forum for that reason. I was genuinely inquiring why someone would need their checked luggage right away - I couldn't think of a reason why I would, so was curious as to what reasons there might be that I'm not considering. If you don't want to explain, that's fine, but no need to respond so rude and sarcastically when you're the one who brought it up first. This is a discussion forum, after all.
OK.....
I apologize for my attitude.
It's been a long standing precept of mine to keep the reasons for my actions close to my vest.

Groceries - I would either do an Amazon Prime Order or Garden Grocery - just be aware of all of their new charges for holidng items at Bell Services.

I have heard that Disney started charging in 2016. However, our trip Nov. 2018 we were not charged at AS Sports. We did tip when they brought it to our room.

I have heard that Disney started charging in 2016. However, our trip Nov. 2018 we were not charged at AS Sports. We did tip when they brought it to our room.
In 2016 they started charging for some package deliveries to some resorts but it was much more inconsistent than the newer policy to charge for all deliveries. I think their idea was charging for all mailed deliveries but not hand delivered ones (or maybe I have that backwards?)

but Disney just recently added a $6.00 fee for packages delivered. Grocery delivery from services such as Garden Grocery & medical devices are not charged. But a box from Amazon would be charged the $6 fee.

Can you take a later bus from your resort rather than the 4 hour in advance one they book you for? With TSA pre check, there is no need for us to be at the airport that early. So can you just say to one of the next drivers, oops, sorry, I missed my earlier bus, and hop on that one?
You might be able to do so if you ask the front desk in advance, but you do have to get the permission letter first. They don't let you get on without that letter. I've always asked to go an hour more in advance, and I do it the day before, because of the kids (no TSA precheck in my area), and always got it.

The last time we took DME in September 2018 at Pop, the bus came on time but left 45 minutes after scheduled time. Why? Because the driver took his time loading everybody. Then some guy showed up with a bunch of luggage on a cart, talked to the driver, and convinced him to load the luggage. Then we waited like 15 more minutes before the guy's wife and 2 kids showed up, not in a hurry at all. Being that we got there 15 minutes earlier as suggested, it was an hour before the bus started moving. There were a lot of people on the bus when we boarded, and I don't know how they feel about waiting 45 minutes at Pop, or if that made them late for their flights. After we arrived at the airport, I noticed that nobody was giving the driver any tips except us.

That's the only time DME was so slow leaving, in my experience. The other times all worked fine for us. Sometimes we wait quit a while at the airport, but that doesn't bother us. Over the years, it seems that the DME is taking longer and longer with more and more people in it.

If it were up to me, I'd get Lyft or something because there's too much time wasted waiting with the DME. But the kids love the DME and find it magical, so I put up with it.

but Disney just recently added a $6.00 fee for packages delivered. Grocery delivery from services such as Garden Grocery & medical devices are not charged. But a box from Amazon would be charged the $6 fee.
I think this is not quite accurate? The new $6 fee seems to be specifically for grocery deliveries that are then delivered to the guest room by Bell Services. One charge per grocery order. The $5 package fee is per package, and apparently incosistently assessed.
You might be able to do so if you ask the front desk in advance, but you do have to get the permission letter first.
I'm not sure the front desk has any authority at all regarding Magical Express. OP might get better results contacting DME directly.

I'm not sure the front desk has any authority at all regarding Magical Express. OP might get better results contacting DME directly.
Guests who want an earlier, or later, DME pick up time should call the day before. If your request is granted you'll be told to go to the front desk. Your DME letter will be printed with the new pick up time. I don't know if the desk has the time to make the call for you.

The fee applies to anything delivered by Bell Services, including groceries. If you meet your driver, there is no fee from Disney.

We are avid WDW goers...Twice a year. Usually stay in a Deluxe Villa or Deluxe hotel. In early June we are staying in Bay Lake Tower. I’ve never been to Disney without a rental car. This time is a bit unique as we don’t intend to leave property. We are in debate as to using Magical Express. We have never used it before. We will be flying in from Atlanta. I wonder how much we will miss the car. We usually buy groceries somewhere and also usually drive to Animal Kingdom when we go. What is your alls advice? Staying for Sunday June 2 - Saturday June 8 (leaving early that day)

Thank you!

We have actually had a rental car, used ME and had a town car service. Having used all 3, we use the town car service option the vast majority of the time. We have DVC, and like the grocery stop included. Bell services holds the groceries for us as we usually arrive pretty early. As for those instances when we really, really need to be somewhere by a certain time (ADR at a resort) we take a cab/Uber.

Some ideas:
  4. man up / suck it up

Adding one more option: I actually shipped my big suitcase there--it costs more than checking it on a plane ($75 vs. $30) and you have to pack it and deliver it to Fed Ex/UPS a week ahead of your trip, but it got there the day before I arrived and was held until I did arrive. You can track it across the country (I was coming from California). I used a service called Lugless (I have used them before) and everything was perfect--other than the resort charged me $6 for receiving the bag per the new policy which I suspected would be the case. I have balance issue so using the wheelchair service provided by the airport (with a tip of course!) was my choice.

It really is no longer of a walk than to pick up a taxi, rental car or other ground transportation. If you drive your own car to WDW, then I understand that is seems like a long walk but if you usually get a rental car or taxi, it really is not much further.

If you come in on Side A, it's farther. If you get a taxi or rental car, you don't need to go back up to level 3 and back down to level 1 like you do with DME. Especially Southwest, once you get over to B side, you have to walk the entire length of the terminal.

Regarding luggage, I've been picking up my own because of issues with luggage delivery in the past. I was there last week and am having knee problems so I decided to tag it. Happy to say it was in my room within 3 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter