Tortured on using DME. Any advice appreciated

rdesear

Earning My Ears
We are avid WDW goers...Twice a year. Usually stay in a Deluxe Villa or Deluxe hotel. In early June we are staying in Bay Lake Tower. I’ve never been to Disney without a rental car. This time is a bit unique as we don’t intend to leave property. We are in debate as to using Magical Express. We have never used it before. We will be flying in from Atlanta. I wonder how much we will miss the car. We usually buy groceries somewhere and also usually drive to Animal Kingdom when we go. What is your alls advice? Staying for Sunday June 2 - Saturday June 8 (leaving early that day)

Thank you!

Magical Express is great - we use it everytime we go to disney.

Groceries - I would either do an Amazon Prime Order or Garden Grocery - just be aware of all of their new charges for holidng items at Bell Services.

Buses run consistantly so you won't have to worry about that - plus the bus stops are right at the front of the park so no having to park and taking a tram or monorail or boat to get to the front :)

Enjoy your trip!

We've only had a car once, I think you really can survive just fine with out a car.

Some ways to get around that are using Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans, as well as things like Amazon PrimeNow or other grocery delivery services. You can take a Lyft to a grocery store and another back, can take one to AK as well.

On arriving DME shouldn't take much (any) more then the time it would take to claim your luggage, get your rental car then drive to your resort. Coming back DME will probably pick you up a few minutes before you'd have to leave with your car.

Uber is a good alternative to Disney buses

We use DME every time we go to WDW and never miss not having a car. With all the optioned these days, if you still don't want to take use the bus service to get to AK, then do Uber/Minnie vans.

Last August was the first time I'd been to WDW without a car and U used DME for the first time as well.
I almost never drive my car while on property so I didn't miss it at all.
AS for DME the experience was seamless and comfortable. (Although it was a l-o-n-g walk from the deplaning area to the DME bus stop.)
The only thing I did that was a little out of the ordinary was to take my luggage with me when I boarded the bus since I'd read that occasionally the luggage arrives several hours after the bus and I wanted to have my suitcase with me.

(Although it was a l-o-n-g walk from the deplaning area to the DME bus stop.)

It really is no longer of a walk than to pick up a taxi, rental car or other ground transportation. If you drive your own car to WDW, then I understand that is seems like a long walk but if you usually get a rental car or taxi, it really is not much further.

It really is no longer of a walk than to pick up a taxi, rental car or other ground transportation. If you drive your own car to WDW, then I understand that is seems like a long walk but if you usually get a rental car or taxi, it really is not much further.
When you're sixty eight years old, need a cane to walk, and have three pieces of luggage, it's a l----o----n----g walk to the DME pickup area. :)

Last August was the first time I'd been to WDW without a car and U used DME for the first time as well.
I almost never drive my car while on property so I didn't miss it at all.
AS for DME the experience was seamless and comfortable. (Although it was a l-o-n-g walk from the deplaning area to the DME bus stop.)
The only thing I did that was a little out of the ordinary was to take my luggage with me when I boarded the bus since I'd read that occasionally the luggage arrives several hours after the bus and I wanted to have my suitcase with me.
DME delivered luggage arrives in your room approximately 3 hours after your check into your resort.

We have gone with and without a car. We don't miss the car. We take DME to the resort and Disney transportation from place to place within WDW. We get a grocery delivery from Amazon Prime Now or Instacart (there are other options) or we take an Uber/ Lyft to a nearby store if it's just a few things.

Keep in mind if you are not a DVC member staying on points there is also a nightly parking charge to park at the resort. At BLT it would be $24 per night.

There is one DME location at mco. Southwest passengers have the longest walk. Other airlines less.

Rental agencies have 2 locations, Mears shuttle 4, I think rideshare has 2 and some car services offer a meet and greet. The walk for dme can be a lot longer then for other models of transportation

We aren't going to drive at WDW, ever. So why have a car?
Now, we may or may not take ME, that depends on many factors, sometimes we Rideshare instead.
DH loves ME and would always take it. Me, sometimes I just want to get to the resort
Other than 1 trip, I don't get food delivered so no help there. Once or twice we've wanted something I've either put it in our luggage (like a box of Clif bars) or shipped it down myself.
Our 1 time was using Garden Grocer and it was fine. But we threw out most of what I ordered so I've never done it again.

Nope........
I wanted my bags to arrive at the same time I did.....
Sorry.
I didn't know I needed permission to complain. :oops:
Of course not but people aren't receptive or fail to understand your complaint of trudging luggage through the airport when you choose to do it rather than HAD to do it.
It's like complaining that it hurts to hit pinch yourself but then continuing to pinch yourself anyway.
So the common thought is stop complaining or stop doing it.
If you arrive after 10, totally different too, by the way.

Last edited:
There is one DME location at mco. Southwest passengers have the longest walk. Other airlines less.

Rental agencies have 2 locations, Mears shuttle 4, I think rideshare has 2 and some car services offer a meet and greet. The walk for dme can be a lot longer then for other models of transportation
Once you reach the main terminal, it's about the same length for all. How long the walk to the terminal is depends on your gate, obviously. We finally had even a close gate with SW 2 weeks ago. It was the first time we flew in from Nashville instead of Atlanta and the gate was quite a bit quicker walk.
If you have to go to baggage claim first that is where the biggest differences can come in
Ride Share meets outside of Baggage Claim on each side.
Car Services still have a similar walk to each side's pickup since even if they meet and greet you in person, the car isn't there, obviously
Not to mention, Rental car agencies are right next to ME so surely that walk is really close to the same

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter