• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too, too, TOO much food: 10 day dining review COMPLETE

Me too, I have the Kona Cafe booked at the same time, so I have to choose between the 2 soon.

ohhh...toughie. I wanted to try Kona cafe after hearing about how its a best kept secret. I was going to change the Concourse Steakhouse for it...

Now I just get to justify another try to try Kona ;)

Good luck with your decision...

I am excited to see you other reviews! Thanks for posting! I am leaving on Saturday (the 27th) and have rservations at Coral Reef and the Concourse Steak House....so I am excited to see how dinner went at those restaurants!

Congrats on the wedding!

Loving the reports. It's helping us plan for where we're going to eat on our honeymoon too!

About the chocolate cake at the Tusker House. I knew it looked good! I am also a 'chocolate cake connoisseur' and when we went for our planning session my sister got a free birthday dessert there. She could choose from carrot cake, cheesecake, and chocolate cake. She chose cheesecake - DOH! I'll have to go back and try it when we go next time :)

Chef Mickeys

So where do you go the morning after your wedding for a napkin twirling good time? That's right Chef Mickey's. We had an 11:10 reservation, which means that the restaurant was relatively quiet. I say relatively because I don't think CM's can ever be called "quiet". The character interaction was fantastic. We saw most characters 3 times, except for Mickey who only made it once. The food was just ok. The first trip I seemed to get the bottom of the dishes, so they were kind of cold. The second trip was better in terms of the food's condition. But I found the offerings at the Crystal Palace to be much better (there were more of them and they were fresher). To be fair...the character interaction at CP was not as good -- Tigger never made it to our table (and this was before the alleged incident ;) )

I probably wouldn't book here again. I was disappointed and had remembered fonder days of the breakfast at "Chef Mickey's" before it was a buffet. I think I'd rather go to the CP twice.
DisneyWeddingTrip486.jpg

DisneyWeddingTrip491.jpg

B

Cinderella's Royal Table (dinner):
After being spoiled enough to go to CRT not once but twice, I'm certain that I won't go again. There was 6 of us and we were only allowed 2 photopackages, which I thought was strange because if each of the couples booked separately we would have gotten 3.

It's nice to get a picture with Cindy, but she's also at the tent in Toontown, so I wouldn't do the dinner just for that. You don't get any more interaction with Cindy than you would there. The food was not bad...but I don't have anything really good to say about it either. DH and I had the BLT salad to start and the prime rib. We all had the chocolate mousse cake for dessert.
I didn't like the dressing on the salad, but it was fresh. I didn't like the prime rib, but let's face it, Citricos was a tough act to follow. Still I'd rate it as average. I didn't like the chocolate mousse cake and left about half of it.
DisneyWeddingTrip671.jpg

DisneyWeddingTrip674.jpg

My brother had the cheese tortellini
DisneyWeddingTrip673.jpg

His GF had the Roast Chicken
DisneyWeddingTrip672.jpg

The reason to go is the sheer coolness of being inside the castle. If you can pass on that, you can pass on the CRT. Once is definately enough.
C+

p.s., I should mention for Honeymooners out there that Cindy is nice enough to give a gift:
WeddingGifts021.jpg

It was a very nice gesture!

Loving the reports. It's helping us plan for where we're going to eat on our honeymoon too!

About the chocolate cake at the Tusker House. I knew it looked good! I am also a 'chocolate cake connoisseur' and when we went for our planning session my sister got a free birthday dessert there. She could choose from carrot cake, cheesecake, and chocolate cake. She chose cheesecake - DOH! I'll have to go back and try it when we go next time :)

I loved Tusker House -- as you'll see :) it's up next. I'm glad I've found a fellow choco-holic -- I love using my expertise. I plan on continuing my research as to the best chocolate treat at the World -- ;)

Congratulations on your wedding! Loved your review and photos :)

My DD just got sooooooo excited seeing that the ice-cream sandwich was on the DP (well at least sometimes :rotfl2: ) Great report can't wait for the rest. :thumbsup2

Love the reviews so far! Look forward to the rest. We are eating at a few of them on our trip in Feb.!!

I agree on CP being a better buffet than CM. I too am enjoying your reviews.princess:

Thanks for the reviews and congratulations on the wedding!!! I'm going to pop over there and read your wedding TR now. :)

Tusker House

This is by far my most favourite counter service! DH and I both had the 1/2 chicken rotissare. I ordered the chocolate cake for dessert and he ordered the cheesecake.

The chicken was moist and the potatoes and veggies were good as well. What is most impressive about this CS is the desserts. I mean, the little typical desserts you get at most counter services are alright. But these are great. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be exagerating to tell you that the chocolate cake I had at the Tusker House was better than my wedding cake!

The one warning is that this place can get quite busy. DH and I tend to skip breakfast on our AK day and head to the Tusker House at 10:55, 5 minutes before it opens.

A+ (the plus is because this is a counter-service)
p.s. I apologize there are no pictures...we were so hungry and so excited to dig into the meal that we forgot :confused3

Coral Reef
This was another repeat dining stop. Last time DH loved...I mean loved :love: the Coral Reef. I thought it was just ok. I mean the atmosphere was great...but my Mahi Mahi was kind of dry. So when DH asked me to book there again I did so for him (and because I was still hoping for Le Cellier as one of my ADRs and that was taking my mental energy).

Boy am I glad I did. I had the Crab Claws to start and tried the Mahi Mahi again. DH re-ordered the exact same thing as last time: the Cocktail Shrimp and the NY Strip Steak.

The Crab was very good - tender and moist. The spicy slaw wasn't exactly a preference of mine, but those who like spicy things probably will. To my surprise the Mahi Mahi was exceptional. It was cooked perfectly. DH raved about his steak (once again).
DisneyWeddingTrip957.jpg

DisneyWeddingTrip956.jpg

Absolutely everyone had the chocolate wave for dessert. The chocolate wave is something of a chocolate phenomenon. It's potent....you have to really like chocolate to really like the chocolate wave. I really enjoyed it -- but then again, I really enjoy chocolate (as I'm sure you've noticed :hyper: )

One of the best parts was having the SCUBA instructors in the tank. There seemed to be a SCUBA tour going on. They interacted with the tables and everyone (all the tables) were cracking up. :laughing: It was a great time. At one point it was as if the entire restaurant was playing a game of charades.:laughing:
A

thanks for all of the reviews. you have many of my possible eateries on your list so this helps alot!

We want to go to CR but I've read some bad reviews, pleased your DH liked it, I suppose you go for the setting as much as anything. Is it worth asking for a tank view? and how good are the CM's when you ask?

We want to go to CR but I've read some bad reviews, pleased your DH liked it, I suppose you go for the setting as much as anything. Is it worth asking for a tank view? and how good are the CM's when you ask?

To be honest I didn't ask for a tank view. The first time we went the 2 of us were seated right next to the tank. But I found the booth facing the tank that we had this time to be just as good. In fact, I enjoyed the view more from a bit of distance as I could see more of what was going on.

It never hurts to ask though.

You're right -- I went for the atmosphere. That and the chocolate wave. YUM - it was so good the last time I obsessed about it until I went back. This time it seemed much sweeter than the last time -- almost...ahem.. :scared1: too sweet.

It seems to be a hit or miss with this restaurant, but this time my food was very good.

GL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter