• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too, too, TOO much food: 10 day dining review COMPLETE

ForKeeps

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone :wave:

I figure that since I've benefitted from dining reviews not once, but twice, that I should return the favour.

This review will include as many pics as possible and will include reviews on:

Table Services:
Crystal Palace
Mama Melrose
Citricos (Chef's Domain)
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella's Royal Table (dinner)
Coral Reef
Concourse Steakhouse
Le Cellier
Garden Grill

Counter Services:
Yorkshire Fish & Chips
Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory
Tusker House
Liberty Inn (American Pavilion)
Starlight Cafe

And of course a review of my snacks popcorn::

Subscribing...We leave in 2 weeks and some of the restaurants you listed are some of the ones we are eating at. Can't wait for your reviews popcorn::

Because we were travelling for the better part of the day I only have 1 review for this day. The plan was to grab some fish and chips and munch on them while watching Illuminations. But we were far to hungry to wait until 8:30.

I had heard good things about the fish & chips here and they didn't disappoint. They were tasty, and not that greasy. I really liked the chips! The shortbread for dessert was fitting, but not anything to write home about.
DisneyWeddingTrip114.jpg

B+

Crystal Palace (breakfast): Wonderful as always. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the buffet foods (I tried my best to get pictures of everything, but in the days before the wedding I was pretty absentminded :confused: ) but I can tell you that in comparison to Chef Mickey's, I thought the food was better. There was a larger selection and the food seemed fresher (to be fair I had an 8:10 reservation at CP and 11:10 at CM, so that may be the reason). The character interaction seemed better at CM because there were less people in the restaurant by 11:10. I really enjoy the Crystal Palace and would it would be one of the top ADRs I would book again.
A

Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory: We ate here quite a bit because POFQ was our base camp and frankly, because we found the best value for out counterservice there.

For lunch I had the pizza. I have no pic for this. The pizza is average (which seems to be a theme at Disney World), but the dessert here was fabulous. They let me have the homemade ice cream sandwich (but ask if it will count before you order, because later on in the trip we were told this didn't count as a dessert for a counter-service)
DisneyWeddingTrip203.jpg

B

For dinner DH and I split the chicken parm with a salad and begniets for dessert. The portion was huge -- we liked this so much we ordered it quite a bit. It was a good meal to share when we were hungry but didn't want to be stuffed.
DisneyWeddingTrip219.jpg

B+

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Sassagoula Float Works & Factory (breakfast): I ate breakfast at SFW&F quite a few times and always has the same thing: chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. Hey if you can't live it up on your honeymoon trip when can you? ;) I really enjoyed them, but there was 4 pancakes to a plate and 3 strips of bacon. I NEVER finished them once. Really tasty though!
B+

Mama Melrose (fantasmic package):
We went here last May as well when there used to be a fantasmic menu (or rather you had a salad and flatbread to split to start). Now you can choose an app like any other TS and the flatbreads are classified as an entree. I missed the flatbread - I really liked that the last time.

I had the Oven-baked Caprino cheese to start, the oven-baked chicken alla Parmigiana, and the warm chocolate truffle cake.

I wasn't a big fan of the oven-baked caprino cheese. I thought it was going to be different than it actually was. I really like Saganaki, served in Greek restaurants and for some reason I thought it would be like that or breaded and cooked WITH the marinara sauce. But it was just cheese swimming IN marinara sauce. The Chicken parm was good (as it was last time in May), but there was so much of it. The cake was ok, not the best chocolate cake I had on the trip, and not the worst (better than the cake in CRT, but not as good as the chocolate wave at the Coral reef, and actually not as good as the chocolate cake at the Tusker House)

DF has the calamari, wood-grilled salmon, and the warm chocolate truffel cake.

He raved about the calamari, so I snuck some too...and he was right...it was very good. He also said the salmon was very good. High compliments from him.

We both enjoyed the Sangria.

It's still a favourite of ours and it seems to be a best kept secret of MGM, especially because its only competition (IMHO), the Brown Derby is 2 TS.

We'll definately book again!
B+

Love your food pics!! Honestly, it makes me a little hungry. popcorn::

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your wedding.

great reviews:thumbsup2 ive got mama melrose on my list,as well as c.grill

congratulations on your wedding

I had to come join you over here!! LOL-- love seeing these food photos popcorn:: -- keep 'em coming!:hug:

AND. Love that picture of the ice cream sandwich. We had the same problem at POR. Some days it was a dessert and some days they told us no. It was a bit frustrating when the ice cream sandwich is what everyone really wanted with the CS meal. We got it anyway, just had to speak up; IT IS A GOOD ICE CREAM SANDWICH:love: :love: !!!!

Love your reviews.

I agree about the food court at POFQ - it has some good food, big portions and can be an excellent value for a DDP credit (the half chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and corn with a corn bread biscuit was my favourite).

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm sorry I've been slacking on my dining review. I was preoccupied by working on my wedding day posts for the other trip report. But I'm all caught up now so it's time to go on with the show.

Citricos's Chef Domain:

I choose Citricos because the menus indicated that there was a wide variety of food available. My in laws are huge fish fans so at first I thought, perfect...I'll book Narcossees. And then I remembered about my brother. If he could find a restaurant that would serve him grilled cheese it'd be his favourite. Seriously...how do we even share the same gene pool? :confused3Bottom line, there's no way I was getting him to eat anything that breathed through gills. There's gotta be some chicken on the menu for him to eat.

So when I saw that Citricos offered fish, pasta, filet and...tada...chicken...I knew this was the place to book.

But after booking I could find little reviews on Citricos' that were positive. The Chef's Domain offers the same menu as the main restaurant with the benefit of a private room, and chef interaction. In exchange you need to meet a $650 minimum -- but with 11 people eating that was a snap.

Most of our guests ordered different things. My dad had the veal, my brother's girlfriend that the Grouper, and my brother...had the chicken.

Do I know him or do I know him.

Both DH and I had the Sautéed Shrimp with lemon, white wine, tomatoes and feta cheese to start and the Citricos Filet Sicilian for an entrée as recommended by the waiter.

Let's see...how did I put it in my TR? Oh yeah...

"It was FANTASTIC! I’ve had a great shrimp before, but this was amazing. The portion was generous with large shrimps and the sauce went excellent with the Foccacia bread that was provided. And I’ve had amazing filet before, but this was the best I’ve ever had. It had an oak flavour to it that complimented the beef perfectly -- it was not overwhelming at all."

I believe that my new SIL has a picture of the filet, but I don't have a link to her pictures yet, so I'll update it asap.

For dessert DH had the Lemon Cheesecake, and I had the warm chocolate banana tart on our waiter’s recommendation. Both were extremely good. I'd rate these desserts as the best of the trip, which means the chocolate banana tart beats the chocolate wave in the battle of chocolatey goodness.
100_3990-1.jpg

Everyone loved what they had, our guests raved about the food....and DH and I are already talking about going back to Citricos for our 1 year anniversary.

The service was excellent as well.

This was the best meal of the trip bar none!
A+++

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter