• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping in 2008 - Dining plan and buffets

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.waiterrant.com is a favorite blog of mine, he says it is 10% at buffets.

I tip 10 to 15% at a buffet and 20 to 25 percent at a fullservice restaurant. I do tip more at inexpensive restaurants...such as Waffle House. They work really hard and my bill for a family of four (two adults, two kids) comes to about 20 bucks, which would be four to five dollars. I like to tip about ten. I am talking about good service though in these instances. If service is horrendous, no tip and a complaint to the manager.

Okay Guy's, at work we have a new girl that worked at Golden Coral for years. I was talking to her about tipping, she said that most people tipped her something at a buffet just not the 15-20% of the bill like at IHOP, Denny's etc. She said compared to only having 3-4 tables a day at IHOP she had 10-20 tables at Golden Coral (to rotate from). She said she made very good money but said she ran her but off with that many tables. So take it as you want to, I as a server will still tip at least 15% at a buffet for good service.:dance3:

www.waiterrant.com is a favorite blog of mine, he says it is 10% at buffets.

I tip 10 to 15% at a buffet and 20 to 25 percent at a fullservice restaurant. I do tip more at inexpensive restaurants...such as Waffle House. They work really hard and my bill for a family of four (two adults, two kids) comes to about 20 bucks, which would be four to five dollars. I like to tip about ten. I am talking about good service though in these instances. If service is horrendous, no tip and a complaint to the manager.

This is something that I have been itching to post, because it's something that we do too. I feel bad for people who are struggling and work in lower end restaurants. Often they work just as hard, if not harder, than those in the high end restaurants. Yet those in the high end restaurants are 'guaranteed' more money based on the tipping by percentage.

Because of this we throw the tipping books away and tip up to 50% for an amazing waiter at a lower priced restaurant. We still tip 15-20% in a high end restaurant, but try to give the same dollar amount for equal service in a lower end restaurant.

Ok, I have been playing on pogo so much I have neglected my first love. Of course after my family the Disboards. I have a question pertaining to this subject. Wolfgang Pucks Express. Self serve drinks. I sometimes sit down,yet I ask for it to go. In case I have leftovers of pizza. The man brings the food to me. Yet, I clean my own table. Our bill for myself, and my 2 boys. Was around 40, something. I noticed. After some would eat on the plates. They would not leave a tip at all. I tipped the man 8 dollars. Just for him bringing out the boxes of pizza. In a establishment like that. What should be the norm? Since he does not fill, or refill your drinks.

Ok, I have been playing on pogo so much I have neglected my first love. Of course after my family the Disboards. I have a question pertaining to this subject. Wolfgang Pucks Express. Self serve drinks. I sometimes sit down,yet I ask for it to go. In case I have leftovers of pizza. The man brings the food to me. Yet, I clean my own table. Our bill for myself, and my 2 boys. Was around 40, something. I noticed. After some would eat on the plates. They would not leave a tip at all. I tipped the man 8 dollars. Just for him bringing out the boxes of pizza. In a establishment like that. What should be the norm? Since he does not fill, or refill your drinks.
I haven't eaten there... but based on your description, I'd probably not leave a tip. Self-serve drinks. Clean your own table. All they're doing is handing you a box of pizza. They could do that at a counter, and nobody would think it made any sense to tip for that... after all, you bought the pizza and they have to give it to you somehow. It's like one of the CS restaurants... you wouldn't tip at McDonald's, even if somebody had to run your food out to you at a table or in a "waiting" parking spot at the drive-through.

David

You know I wondered the same thing when we ate there..

I haven't eaten there... but based on your description, I'd probably not leave a tip. Self-serve drinks. Clean your own table. All they're doing is handing you a box of pizza. They could do that at a counter, and nobody would think it made any sense to tip for that... after all, you bought the pizza and they have to give it to you somehow. It's like one of the CS restaurants... you wouldn't tip at McDonald's, even if somebody had to run your food out to you at a table or in a "waiting" parking spot at the drive-through.

David

David, it is confusing because you order they give you cups for your drinks. You get your own drinks and find a table, you have a number they give you to put on the table for the food runner to find you. Then someone brings your food to you. But you clean up after yourselves and get your own refills, my daughter went inside to get us some boxes for our leftovers. I felt bad leaving because from everythign I have read its a none tipping place, but you wanted to tip the guy for bringing your food. I really wish they would either put a sign up saying no tipping or make it a tipping place. Excellent food by the way!!!!!

When we went in early October, they cleaned the table for us, as we finished plates. We left them a few dollars, but didn't fret about a %. We just felt that bringing food and cleaning warranted a couple of dollars.

David, it is confusing because you order they give you cups for your drinks. You get your own drinks and find a table, you have a number they give you to put on the table for the food runner to find you. Then someone brings your food to you.
All of this sounds like a Mexican restaurant in my hometown. There's a tip jar near the register where you order, which I usually drop a dollar or two into. Nobody leaves a tip at the table, and certainly nobody is tipping based on a percentage of the cost of the meal.

Yes, they are dropping the food off at the table for you... but the only reason they do that is because it avoids having crowds of people waiting up at the counter near the register for their food, which would create a bottleneck. This is not traditional table service, and does not require a traditional table service-style tip. In fact, I would say that if they don't have a tip jar near where you order, they're probably not expecting tips at all.

These are not traditional "servers" being paid $2 - $3 per hour and expected to make a reasonable wage through tipping. They are being paid above minimum wage as kitchen workers or something similar.

David

All of this sounds like a Mexican restaurant in my hometown. There's a tip jar near the register where you order, which I usually drop a dollar or two into. Nobody leaves a tip at the table, and certainly nobody is tipping based on a percentage of the cost of the meal.

Yes, they are dropping the food off at the table for you... but the only reason they do that is because it avoids having crowds of people waiting up at the counter near the register for their food, which would create a bottleneck. This is not traditional table service, and does not require a traditional table service-style tip. In fact, I would say that if they don't have a tip jar near where you order, they're probably not expecting tips at all.

These are not traditional "servers" being paid $2 - $3 per hour and expected to make a reasonable wage through tipping. They are being paid above minimum wage as kitchen workers or something similar.

David

In our neck of the woods this would describe a Mancino's or, heck, Chuck E. Cheese. I would not tip at either place. I make no personal contact with the person apart from them grabbing the number from the table and handing us our pizza/food. After that I'm on my own.

Sounds just like Culvers, you order, they hand you your drink cups and a number. They certainly dont expect tips there. Either way, I am slightly baffled this discussion is still ongoing.

Let me explain better. When I go. I always ask for my pizza to go. Which means they bring my pizzas in the to-go box. But, I sit at the tables and eat. However, say a person did not order thier pizza to go. It would come served on a plate. The worker of course, has to remove the plates, and bring them back to the kitchen, to be washed. It is very confusing. So, I guess noone has a definative answer on tipping at WPE. Easy solution. On my next trip. I will ask the server.

Let me explain better.
You explained it just fine.
However, say a person did not order thier pizza to go. It would come served on a plate. The worker of course, has to remove the plates, and bring them back to the kitchen, to be washed. It is very confusing.
It isn't confusing. It's the same model of operation that many other restaurants use, including the Mexican restaurant in my hometown that I mentioned previously. Again: these workers are not paid the same way as the servers in a traditional TS restaurant. They are not relying on tips to make up the difference between a sub-minimum wage rate and what they should earn. If there's a tip jar near the register, feel free to drop a dollar or two (or more, if it makes you feel better) in it. But you really aren't expected to tip at the table or based on a percentage of the total cost of the bill.
So, I guess noone has a definative answer on tipping at WPE. Easy solution. On my next trip. I will ask the server.
You've been given definitive answers, based on other restaurants other people are familiar with that work exactly the same way. BTW, no server is going to tell you not to tip them, so asking them won't give you a definitive answer either. They'll likely tell you that tips are allowed, but that doesn't mean they'll tell you about how they're paid more than the servers in the traditional TS restaurants to start, etc.

David

I am going to keep some one dollar bills on me and just leave whatever I feel is right for the service. Maybe $3-4 for a buffet (for 2 of us) and $5-6 for TS? Not sure.
I think there will be a lot of people who just get up and leave with not leaving a tip. Either they assume its included or go with the 'They won't see me again, and I want to save $' attitude. My ex was like that. He refused to tip ANYWHERE unless he knew he would be back to the same place. He used to say 'Who cares, they will never see me again'. I would leave cash on the table and he would pick it up and pocket it. Sooooo embarrassing!
So not true. I used to wait tables and till this day I remember the faces that didn't tip no matter if I waited on the once or twice. GRRRRRR that steams me

Let me just reiterate what another poster mentioned above. Minimum wage for servers is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than min. wage in other fields. I don't know the exact rate, but I think it's about HALF of what reg. min. wage is. They DO NOT make a living wage from their pay. It is expected that they will make enough from tips to pay rent, buy groceries, make car payments, etc. That's just the way it is in this country. I never worked in the food industry, but my DH did when he was in high school. He always leaves 20% tip. If the service is not as good, he'll leave 15%. This is what these people have to live off of. It's just really sad that people are trying to find ways to keep them from earning a decent living - both Disney and guests are guilty in this. Heck, even out in the real world - people just don't get it that these servers live off of their TIPS NOT THEIR WAGES!
When I waited tables I made 2.13 a hour and that was in Sept. And wage here is 5.25 starting off. But say u don't make enough tips they are supposed to make up for what u lost in tips. But thats if the employer chooses.

Well, as a "financial person" I'd disagree with that - not that I'd condone dishonesty - just the part about worrying over getting enough retirement from the government. The more you take home the more YOU would control for your retirement rather than relying on our politicians ;)

BUT I get it now...thanks!

You are so RIGHT! It's amazes me how many people want to keep paying the government to "take" care of them.

If they are unable to earn a "living wage" doing the job they have elected to do, then I suggest they need to do what millions of other people do who don't earn enough money: find another job to either replace or supplement the one they have. Their standard of living is not my problem or my responsibility. I will continue to tip according to the service I receive.

As for buffets, I have two comments:

1) The guest simply does not receive the same level of service at a buffet restaurant as they do at a TS restaurant. Period.

2) The waitstaff may not be assigned more tables at a buffet restaurant, but they undoubtedly turn them over more quickly so they still have more tables per shift than a TS server working the same shift.

I agree when I waited tables I worked at a buffet at Pizza hut matter of fact. I worked my butt off to earn what I did in a buffet u have to go beyond your job to make the money.If they ask for coffee make them some coffee even if it isn't a menu item. I carried lolly pops for the kids and crayons the I purchased myself cause we always have the papers but never the colors. When people don't tip u after they have ran the death out of u it hurts. For example I waited on a table of 15 a few months back ran myself crazy. The tickets were split a few way. I made 3 bucks off that table. I barely had tables cause they took up most of my section. I went home that day with 22 $ I was a really good server and I loved my job. And for those of u that think buffet servers are under TS server or wrong shame on you. We still have to clear your dirty dishes and refill your drinks etc. Some of these comments really stung it doesn't matter how much you pay for the bill u tip the person according to their service and it should be left at that.

I agree when I waited tables I worked at a buffet at Pizza hut matter of fact. I worked my butt off to earn what I did in a buffet u have to go beyond your job to make the money.If they ask for coffee make them some coffee even if it isn't a menu item. I carried lolly pops for the kids and crayons the I purchased myself cause we always have the papers but never the colors. When people don't tip u after they have ran the death out of u it hurts. For example I waited on a table of 15 a few months back ran myself crazy. The tickets were split a few way. I made 3 bucks off that table. I barely had tables cause they took up most of my section. I went home that day with 22 $ I was a really good server and I loved my job. And for those of u that think buffet servers are under TS server or wrong shame on you. We still have to clear your dirty dishes and refill your drinks etc. Some of these comments really stung it doesn't matter how much you pay for the bill u tip the person according to their service and it should be left at that.

This is where this discussion has veered off course. It has become an I am or used to be a server and worked my butt off so why not tip vs the reality of how these buffets are run at disney. I can tell you that there are many professions where people take up your valuable time yet leave you with nothing to show for it. Buffet servers still do not provide the same level of service as TS servers. Nobody is putting them down, but to expect the same level of gratuity (unless the party falls into the mandatory tipping % for party size) is both unrealistic and unnecessary.

This is where this discussion has veered off course. It has become an I am or used to be a server and worked my butt off so why not tip vs the reality of how these buffets are run at disney. I can tell you that there are many professions where people take up your valuable time yet leave you with nothing to show for it. Buffet servers still do not provide the same level of service as TS servers. Nobody is putting them down, but to expect the same level of gratuity (unless the party falls into the mandatory tipping % for party size) is both unrealistic and unnecessary.

If you have never been in a server's shoes then how can u say such a thing. If you don't want to tip according to the server and not the type of meal then don't go out to eat. I come to the Dis to put a little magic into my day not to make me feel mad and sad at the same time. I am in tittled to the way I feel.
I'm gonna leave it at this. If you get a crappy server by all means tip her/him for their service but if you get a wonderful server tip them for their service.

If you have never been in a server's shoes then how can u say such a thing.
What is so hard to understand about this?

At a traditional TS meal, the server provides more services to the diner. Therefore, it is perfectly logical to start those servers out at a higher tip percentage. That tip can go up or down depending on how things go, but they're going to start at 15-20%. It could drop to 10%, or 5%, or nothing if the server is particularly inattentive or otherwise provides poor service. It could rise to 25% or more if the server is particularly good or outstanding.

At a buffet, the server starts lower - say, 10%. That tip can go up or down depending on how things go, but it's not going to start at the same point that the tip in a non-buffet starts. Because all else (attentiveness, promptness, etc) being equal, the server in the traditional TS restaurant does things for the diners that the servers in a buffet do not.

Nobody is trying to make you sad or mad. But you should at least try to recognize the logic of the situation.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter