• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping in 2008 - Dining plan and buffets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeeleyFans

Mouseketeer
We will be on the dining plan in 2008 and have always loved the fact that tips were included so we didn't have to worry about it. How much do you leave for each adult and child when you are having a buffet meal? I'm not sure if I should use the standard 15% or less since the waitress mainly just clears the table and brings drinks.

Thanks!

We just booked our dinners and were told that for our party of seven an automatic gratuity of 18% will be added. That is what they will do for any party larger than 6.

Just thinking about that. If you are on the dining plan then I guess they will giving you a bill for your tip? That will be wierd.

I am going to keep some one dollar bills on me and just leave whatever I feel is right for the service. Maybe $3-4 for a buffet (for 2 of us) and $5-6 for TS? Not sure.
I think there will be a lot of people who just get up and leave with not leaving a tip. Either they assume its included or go with the 'They won't see me again, and I want to save $' attitude. My ex was like that. He refused to tip ANYWHERE unless he knew he would be back to the same place. He used to say 'Who cares, they will never see me again'. I would leave cash on the table and he would pick it up and pocket it. Sooooo embarrassing!

I understand the tip (and appetizer) will no longer be included, and it will be ONE dollar cheaper. this makes it much less attractive, since table service bills run about $80 to $100 for 2 people in many places, meaning a $16-20 tip.

(if you are leaving $6 for a table service meal, I assume you mean as extra, AFTER the current 18 percent. six dollars is not even 10 percent of an $80 meal)

It seems like Disney is really pushing for more, but I resist tipping more than 10% for a buffet, which works out to between $2 - $3 per person, depending on the restaurant.

I also figure 10% for Buffets and 15to 20% for TS depending on the service!So as a solo I would be tipping around $5 for average service and up to $10 for great service and at buffets $3 -$6 depending on server. While I agree this should mean better service for DDP people I also feel the poor server will get stiffed Big time!!

One thing I did just think of is that when we were on the dining plan 2 weeks ago I would say only one or two of our receipts even had a total on it! We tried to keep track just to see our savings on the free dining plan, but that really will be a pain when you have to tip and sit and add up everything! Maybe Disney will change the system to show dollars spent. Maybe some will tip on the portion of the meal plan cost allotted for each meal. Who knows.

I tip the same at TS and buffets.:confused3 (Start at 18% and work up if needed)

One thing I did just think of is that when we were on the dining plan 2 weeks ago I would say only one or two of our receipts even had a total on it! We tried to keep track just to see our savings on the free dining plan, but that really will be a pain when you have to tip and sit and add up everything! Maybe Disney will change the system to show dollars spent. Maybe some will tip on the portion of the meal plan cost allotted for each meal. Who knows.

Didn't you have to sign two receipts?

The one that you give back to the server, has all the prices. The one that you keep has all zeros.

I tip the same at TS and buffets.:confused3 (Start at 18% and work up if needed)

Didn't you have to sign two receipts?

The one that you give back to the server, has all the prices. The one that you keep has all zeros.

A good many did NOT have prices on the one to the server either. For the ones that did, only a total - not sure if this was total food and drinks, total plus tax or if it included the tip. Not one of the receipts we signed had amouts for individual items our copy-their copy all zeros. I was trying to keep track of the amount we were saving and really just estitmated. I was very surprised that the amounts didn't have to be uniform thoughout the park. We only had to sign one receipt not two. Print name and sign under.

I tip the same whether it's TS or buffet, the standard 18% for good service. If service is great, they get more; not so great, they get less.

The tip should be 15-20% if its buffet or not. If people start this stupid 10% max for a buffet, the service is going to drop quickly.

I am going to keep some one dollar bills on me and just leave whatever I feel is right for the service. Maybe $3-4 for a buffet (for 2 of us) and $5-6 for TS? Not sure.

I think some of your ex-husband's habits wore off on you. :scared:

I think some of your ex-husband's habits wore off on you. :scared:

She's also from Canada, and typically they don't tip as much either. Its pretty easy to figure out 15-20% of a bill, but some can't do it. They are typically the ones who toss out the argument why should I tip more for the same service just because it cost more. They don't understand the concept of location. These people will probably never have to pay for a brake job on a BMW, or a lunch in London.

Walt Disney World always looks for ways to save/make money
WDW guests look for ways to maximize savings and value for the their dollar
Well the WDW Servers also look for ways to maximize their earning potential.

Example; A recent trip we got into a discussion with a Server from buffet service restaurant, about the changes to the 2008 DDP. He/She told us that He/She used to work at a full service table service restaurant but when Disney started to include 18 % for the servers tips in all the participating restaurants, He/She said He/She transferred to a Buffet style restaurant as He/She was given more tables as which resulted in more income overall. Then He/She stated that He/She was going to transferring back to a full service restaurant soon to avoid a loss of pay from the 2008 DDP and from guest leaving less than the 18% He/She was accustomed too.

Where is the happy median?

Wouldn’t it be nice if Disney would just pay the servers a prevailing wage and just build in the whole cost in the price on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter