Three weeks to the cruise and my wife still doesn't know!

You could tell her without actually telling her. Every few days you could leave her an envelope with clues. Like "start packing the shorts and t-shirts". Then another envelope "don't forget the swimsuit". This would let her know that something is about to happen but not sure when or what.

But again, it is your decision. You know your wife better than any of us. It sounds like an awesome gift you are giving her, no matter how or when you her.

And by the way, I have known for a year and six months and it has been driving me a little crazy. :lmao:

You know, the more I think about it the longer I want to wait.

I'm now leaning towards 12/11 the night before! That'll shake things up!!:cool1:

How about the 10th? She needs time to pack. And time for a quick shopping trip.

Kim

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and disagree. I'd say DON'T tell her.

I surprised my gf (now wife) with a Disney cruise and proposed on the ship. She cried in the car when she realized. Best thing (so far) I've done, hardest secret I've had to keep. THAT BEING SAID - Her first comments after the tears... "I don't have the right things for a cruise..." Now 11 months post cruise and almost 9 weeks married... I'd surprise her all over again. No regrets. I *did* insist she bring a swimsuit "for the DVC heated pool." You WILL need her passport as mentioned - Color copies won't do.

Susan (DW) has to wear a motion sickness patch to cruise. It was a fight the night before the cruise getting her to put it on!!:laughing:

Feel free to PM me for tips. ;)

Several people keep mentioning this "shopping trip" before the cruise. We've been on several cruises before and my wife has never gone on a shopping trip prior to the cruise. What is it that you shop for?

MTW - Congrats on the DVC points! Very cool!

Several people keep mentioning this "shopping trip" before the cruise. We've been on several cruises before and my wife has never gone on a shopping trip prior to the cruise. What is it that you shop for?

?? We had to buy costume stuff and FE stuff. Already have almost everything else.

Tell her during Thanksgiving dinner....

What i see in movies is that during Thanksgiving dinner people share what they are thankful for in the past year and you could say something like:
"i'm thankful of my lovely wife and i'm thankful of the fact that i'm a great secret keeper because guess what: You are going on a Disney Cruise!!! Whoohoo."

WOW!!! Now that is a Great Way to tell her:thumbsup2

MTW - Congrats on the DVC points! Very cool!

stuff, there's always stuff I need, right now I need a new fleece cause it may be cold in WDW. new Christmassy Mickey t-shirt - I could shop up till, including and continue all through the cruise....shopping is very very important. someone else might tell you otherwise, but trust me, she needs to shop.:goodvibes

I'm sure you know your wife, but, as a fellow woman, if you did this to me (didn't tell me until the night before) I'd kill you. Seriously.

A cruise is not like a quick trip to WDW. The wardrobe is different. The packing is different. Do you know for sure that she knows where her passport is? She might want to go get a pedicure or figure out if she needs a new swimsuit, etc.

Oh, and just because you don't THINK that she went shopping before your prior cruises doesn't mean that she didn't! ;)

Surprise is nice, but give her a little time to prepare, please.

Edited to add that my friend Jason's story is amazing, romantic and adorable, but that is a SPECIAL situation. :)

Surprise is nice, but give her a little time to prepare, please.

Edited to add that my friend Jason's story is amazing, romantic and adorable, but that is a SPECIAL situation. :)

:goodvibes:goodvibes:flower3:

I think you should tell her you were planning on taking someone else but now that person can't go and does she want to.

Oh - and please tape that exchange and send it to the podcast email account.

I think you should tell her you were planning on taking someone else but now that person can't go and does she want to.

Oh - and please tape that exchange and send it to the podcast email account.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now this is the BEST idea I have had heard yet!! Tape recorder on standby for the special moment.

About passports, yes I have both our passports and all other required documentation completed so no worries there. We are seasoned travelers and this "pre-cruise shopping" concept is very foreign to me. I can't think of a time where we have bought anything special for a trip, except maybe rain gear once. We travel very light.

If I told her we were going to Costa Rica tomorrow at 7am she'd say "Really? Cool!! That sounds like fun! Lets pack and get going!". Now if I told her "I'm heading to Costa Rica with someone else, have a nice week while I'm gone!". She'd lock the door on the way out and nothing that I own would be here when I got back, including my truck, the house or my bank account. :headache:

Tell her during Thanksgiving dinner....

What i see in movies is that during Thanksgiving dinner people share what they are thankful for in the past year and you could say something like:
"i'm thankful of my lovely wife and i'm thankful of the fact that i'm a great secret keeper because guess what: You are going on a Disney Cruise!!! Whoohoo."

:thumbsup2

And I personally love to make sure I have a mani/pedi before a trip. Hair done. And have all my things set. Iw ould give her a little time. but you know her best! but either way she will be surprised. PLEASE keep us posted!

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and disagree. I'd say DON'T tell her.

I surprised my gf (now wife) with a Disney cruise and proposed on the ship. She cried in the car when she realized. Best thing (so far) I've done, hardest secret I've had to keep. THAT BEING SAID - Her first comments after the tears... "I don't have the right things for a cruise..." Now 11 months post cruise and almost 9 weeks married... I'd surprise her all over again. No regrets. I *did* insist she bring a swimsuit "for the DVC heated pool." You WILL need her passport as mentioned - Color copies won't do.

Susan (DW) has to wear a motion sickness patch to cruise. It was a fight the night before the cruise getting her to put it on!!:laughing:

Feel free to PM me for tips. ;)

I still think that is one of the most romantic stories I've ever been told. You so totally rock, Jason! (But, then, Susan is worth it, right?) :thumbsup2

Well 12/05 and all is quiet, she knows nothing. No news has been shared, life is proceeding normally.

So what I decided to do is, go to the California Grill up at the top of the Contemporary, Monday 12/06 at 7:45pm and have dinner there, just the two of us (and anyone else that wants to come watch). Sometime during dinner, after the fireworks, I'm going to excuse myself and head to the restroom. At that point I'll hook up with our server and give them a card and an envelope. The card will be addressed to Mrs Rkdahl and the envelope will be our cruise documents opened to the itinerary/dates page. I'm going to ask the waiter to deliver these during desert sometime and to say they received a Magical Delivery for her and he was asked to pass it along.

I'll let her open the card, which will be a Christmas Card expressing my love and happiness and all that stuff, yada yada yada. :yay: The card will say "I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and please open the envelope."

She'll open the envelope and "poof"! We are going on the Podcast cruise in just 6 days!! Yippeee!!:banana: The crowd will cheer and everyone in the California Grill will wish us well. Disney will do Wishes a 2nd time just for us and then we'll go home and everyone will live happily ever after!!

That'll give her 5 days to get ready and to look forward to next week!

Looking forward to Monday! Can't wait!

Well 12/05 and all is quiet, she knows nothing. No news has been shared, life is proceeding normally.

So what I decided to do is, go to the California Grill up at the top of the Contemporary, Monday 12/06 at 7:45pm and have dinner there, just the two of us (and anyone else that wants to come watch). Sometime during dinner, after the fireworks, I'm going to excuse myself and head to the restroom. At that point I'll hook up with our server and give them a card and an envelope. The card will be addressed to Mrs Rkdahl and the envelope will be our cruise documents opened to the itinerary/dates page. I'm going to ask the waiter to deliver these during desert sometime and to say they received a Magical Delivery for her and he was asked to pass it along.

I'll let her open the card, which will be a Christmas Card expressing my love and happiness and all that stuff, yada yada yada. :yay: The card will say "I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and please open the envelope."

She'll open the envelope and "poof"! We are going on the Podcast cruise in just 6 days!! Yippeee!!:banana: The crowd will cheer and everyone in the California Grill will wish us well. Disney will do Wishes a 2nd time just for us and then we'll go home and everyone will live happily ever after!!

Ah, WDW pre-cruise. California Grill, yum!

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter