Thinking about changing from All Star Movies to.....

I'd also suggest staying with All Stars or possibly moving to POP.

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge many years ago. It isn't on the monorail loop and the transportation is tricky esp the boat. While it's a beautiful boat ride to the Magic Kingdom when the weather is good, it isn't fun in the rain and may not even run if lightning which frequently happens. The bus is your other option at Wilderness Lodge and your option for the other parks. I've learned that WL is a beautiful resort to visit for a lunch or dinner but I'd stay at All Stars or POP, save some significant money, and put those savings toward a future WDW trip if this trip goes well.

The All Star busing is very efficient although their stops are a hike out and the furthest from the gates at each park.

use the extra money for stuff during the trip
THIS! I have a hard time swallowing the cost for a deluxe resort unless I plan to stay at the resort all day. Value resorts work well for us, or maybe split the difference and upgrade to a moderate. You don't mention the grandchild's age -- if young, she'll probably really enjoy the larger-than-life value resort theming. Use some of the extra for BBB or a couple of character meals. Or if she's a little older, a moderate provides a "better" pool with a slide and would still leave some extra money for a dessert or fireworks experience.

Another one who would suggest sticking to All Stars. Someone asked up thread how old your grand daughter is, that might make a difference. Also, has she or your daughter ever been to WDW, again makes a difference. Your grand daughter's age will make a difference as to whether you go value or moderate. The moderate resorts have slides at their pools, which kids love, the values do not. However, all the values have been upgraded and have the second bed that pulls down from the wall, which makes a huge difference during the day when you just want more room in your room. A few of the moderates (if not all I'm not sure) do not have that. They do have slightly bigger rooms but still have two free standing beds in them. Another suggestion if you are going to have more than two adults is the All Stars Music family suites. They aren't that much more, have a bedroom and two bathrooms, the living room has the capacity to have two beds and the little kitchen has a bigger fridge and more area. No stove but a microwave and you could certainly order food and have cold or heated breakfast and sandwiches for lunch in the room (money saver).

I'm not a fan of the sky liner but that is just a personal opinion and I understand if you are dealing with a stroller it is a lot easier then having to break it down to get on the bus. Personally, I'm fine with the buses. I actually drive down from Georgia so have a car with me but I park it and don't get into it again until I leave. I use all WDW transportation.

If you are able to get it where you are, UTube is your friend. There are a number of resort and room tours out there and helpful videos about Genie+ and how to navigate the parks with and without it. Just google it.

I'd also suggest staying with All Stars or possibly moving to POP.

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge many years ago. It isn't on the monorail loop and the transportation is tricky esp the boat. While it's a beautiful boat ride to the Magic Kingdom when the weather is good, it isn't fun in the rain and may not even run if lightning which frequently happens. The bus is your other option at Wilderness Lodge and your option for the other parks. I've learned that WL is a beautiful resort to visit for a lunch or dinner but I'd stay at All Stars or POP, save some significant money, and put those savings toward a future WDW trip if this trip goes well.

The All Star busing is very efficient although their stops are a hike out and the furthest from the gates at each park.
We stayed a couple nights at all star movies 2 weeks ago since we didn’t have enough points to extend our OKW stay. Our first time staying and found it to be ok for the $ but definitely some drawbacks with small rooms, and only the one bus stop among others. We stayed in the Mighty Ducks area and actually used the Music bus stop and food court since it was much closer than our own. Not sure we would stay again probably pay up for a moderate or stay in a DS hotel/Swan Dolphin when we don’t have points or can’t rent ..

Last edited:

We stayed a couple nights at all star movies 2 weeks ago since we didn’t have enough points to extend our OKW stay. Our first time staying and found it to be ok for the $ but definitely some drawbacks with small rooms, no elevator (neither does OKW) and only the one bus stop. We stayed in the Mighty Ducks area and actually used the Music bus stop and food court since it was much closer than our own. Not sure we would stay again probably pay up for a moderate or stay in a DS hotel/Swan Dolphin when we don’t have points or can’t rent ..
All of the All Star resorts definitely have elevators in every building. The one bus stop is awesome because there's no "jockeying" for positon between late-comers and early arrivers like at the moderates AND onc ethe bus loads you're on your way directly to the park - not circling around in a big loop.

I'd keep the All Star ressie & consider one of the family suites at All Star Music if you want more room - access to 3 food courts and 6 pools, too! We loved the skyliner but didn't care for Pop as a resort at all - and the skyliner goes down due to inclement weather in rainy season.

I’d do wilderness lodge for 1400$ more personally. Look at some videos of the lobby and pool it is my favorite resort and I’ve stayed almost everywhere. Bay lake tower is great for proximity to magic kingdom because it is just a walk away. If location is number one bay lake is just as well as the contemporary imho. Pop and all stars really can’t be compared to stay at a deluxe. If you can’t swing deluxe CBR is a nice middle ground for sky liner but it is a very large resort that can require a great deal of walking.

I would switch to pop preferred (not preferred pool because it's a little louder there) so that you have the skyliner access and save the rest of the money for a special character meal, a princess makeover, etc. Character meals are a great way to meet a bunch of characters at once without having to stand in long lines. Wilderness lodge is great as well, the splash pad is great if your granddaughter is under 48". But I'd rather have some of the extras.

There all easy,,,not a huge resort,,,I would take the cheapest,,thats me,,,plus the pool view can be a little louder due to pool

THIS! I have a hard time swallowing the cost for a deluxe resort unless I plan to stay at the resort all day. Value resorts work well for us, or maybe split the difference and upgrade to a moderate. You don't mention the grandchild's age -- if young, she'll probably really enjoy the larger-than-life value resort theming. Use some of the extra for BBB or a couple of character meals. Or if she's a little older, a moderate provides a "better" pool with a slide and would still leave some extra money for a dessert or fireworks experience.
She'll be 7 when we go, but turn 8 the next month.

I am also in the group of not paying so much more $$ on the deluxe resorts. You can use that $$ on so much more and still save. Our family loves POP and have gone there our last 3 trips. Now in the summer the weather is more stormy and that does affect the skyliner operation and it closes because of weather (rarely in mornings), but I personally never let that dictate my decision. During those times you would have to use a bus.

What about all the other money you’ll be spending? Have you already saved for food(+tip if TS), souvenirs, etc? Disney is a very expensive destination. Just a cocktail at WDW is pushing $20 these days…

I would consider an upgrade to a Pop preferred if all the above is covered but stop there. Better to walk away from the trip with some cash still in the fun bank to reassure DH you can do this going forward.

ETA: woah. Wait a minute! You’re running a business. Did you already set aside the necessary money for taxes? Did you know you might be able to put some of the earnings into a retirement account?

Last edited:
Pop is my favorite value resort. POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. WL is my favorite deluxe resort.

How old is your granddaughter? Young children will like the theming at Movies over a deluxe resort, it’s like they are really in Disney. They are only young for a short time, save the high priced resorts for when they are older.

Another one who would suggest sticking to All Stars. Someone asked up thread how old your grand daughter is, that might make a difference. Also, has she or your daughter ever been to WDW, again makes a difference. Your grand daughter's age will make a difference as to whether you go value or moderate. The moderate resorts have slides at their pools, which kids love, the values do not. However, all the values have been upgraded and have the second bed that pulls down from the wall, which makes a huge difference during the day when you just want more room in your room. A few of the moderates (if not all I'm not sure) do not have that. They do have slightly bigger rooms but still have two free standing beds in them. Another suggestion if you are going to have more than two adults is the All Stars Music family suites. They aren't that much more, have a bedroom and two bathrooms, the living room has the capacity to have two beds and the little kitchen has a bigger fridge and more area. No stove but a microwave and you could certainly order food and have cold or heated breakfast and sandwiches for lunch in the room (money saver).

I'm not a fan of the sky liner but that is just a personal opinion and I understand if you are dealing with a stroller it is a lot easier then having to break it down to get on the bus. Personally, I'm fine with the buses. I actually drive down from Georgia so have a car with me but I park it and don't get into it again until I leave. I use all WDW transportation.

If you are able to get it where you are, UTube is your friend. There are a number of resort and room tours out there and helpful videos about Genie+ and how to navigate the parks with and without it. Just google it.
My granddaughter will be 7, almost 8, when we go. She has never been to WDW. My daughter has, a couple of times, along with Disneyland and Euro Disney, but it's been a long time for her (she's 32 now and all her trips were with me when she was younger, I think last one she was a teenager maybe).

What about all the other money you’ll be spending? Have you already saved for food(+tip if TS), souvenirs, etc? Disney is a very expensive destination. Just a cocktail at WDW is pushing $20 these days…

I would consider an upgrade to a Pop preferred if all the above is covered but stop there. Better to walk away from the trip with some cash still in the fun bank to reassure DH you can do this going forward.

ETA: woah. Wait a minute! You’re running a business. Did you already set aside the necessary money for taxes? Did you know you might be able to put some of the earnings into a retirement account?
We do have the Disney Dining Plan, so that should help. I was thinking about buying my daughter and granddaughter each a Disney gift card to use while there. That way there'd be a method for them to keep track of what they're spending and I know my daughter does not have a lot of money (single parent, granddaughter's dad always finds a reason to not pay child support, or quits his job/gets fired, etc.).

My granddaughter will be 7, almost 8, when we go. She has never been to WDW. My daughter has, a couple of times, along with Disneyland and Euro Disney, but it's been a long time for her (she's 32 now and all her trips were with me when she was younger, I think last one she was a teenager maybe).
So at least 2 adults (3 if you husband goes) and a child. I'm thinking you need to upgrade to a suite at All Stars Music. It wouldn't cost anything like a deluxe or even a moderate (I think not sure on that one) and will give you plenty of room. Your grand daughter really isn't going to care where you stay, at that age just being there is going to be plenty for her. The adults would appreciate the added room plus two bathrooms. I wouldn't spend a lot on the room portion of the trip or extras for that matter. The child is going to love it no matter what and isn't going to need anything extra except actually being there. If it has been such a long time for your daughter just the changes are going to be a wow. Yes, it's different and since it's so pricey to start with, I'd save where ever I could.

So at least 2 adults (3 if you husband goes) and a child. I'm thinking you need to upgrade to a suite at All Stars Music. It wouldn't cost anything like a deluxe or even a moderate (I think not sure on that one) and will give you plenty of room. Your grand daughter really isn't going to care where you stay, at that age just being there is going to be plenty for her. The adults would appreciate the added room plus two bathrooms. I wouldn't spend a lot on the room portion of the trip or extras for that matter. The child is going to love it no matter what and isn't going to need anything extra except actually being there. If it has been such a long time for your daughter just the changes are going to be a wow. Yes, it's different and since it's so pricey to start with, I'd save where ever I could.
People book the ASM Suites for the space and convenience of keeping their family together. But they’re pricier than you think. They’re roughly $25-$40 more expensive per night then a standard room at a moderate resort.

People book the ASM Suites for the space and convenience of keeping their family together. But they’re pricier than you think. They’re roughly $25-$40 more expensive per night then a standard room at a moderate resort.
The ASMu suites offer a LOT over a standard moderate room, though - 2 bathrooms, three seperate sleeping surfaces, a kitchenette & quitre a bit more space.

We do have the Disney Dining Plan, so that should help. I was thinking about buying my daughter and granddaughter each a Disney gift card to use while there. That way there'd be a method for them to keep track of what they're spending and I know my daughter does not have a lot of money (single parent, granddaughter's dad always finds a reason to not pay child support, or quits his job/gets fired, etc.).
The gc idea sounds very sweet! I see you've already made your change, I hope it's a lovely trip!

But- PLEASE know your tax consequences for running this side hustle business. In general side hustles have to pay the 15% self-employment tax plus income tax so it's recommended to set aside at least 25% of your earnings for taxes. Here is a general rundown if you aren't familiar with business tax returns for side hustles.

The ASMu suites offer a LOT over a standard moderate room, though - 2 bathrooms, three seperate sleeping surfaces, a kitchenette & quitre a bit more space.
For sure. I was just pointing out that it’s cheaper to stay at a moderate resort.

And actually, it’s cheaper to get 2 standard rooms at any of the AllStars than a Music Suite. I would recommend that route if people don’t mind the possibility of not getting connecting rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter