Thinking about changing from All Star Movies to.....

cammianne3

Earning My Ears
AN EDIT TO MY EDIT BELOW, LOL: I finally was able to make the change. It wouldn't work on my computer, nor through the app on my phone. However, I was able to go directly to the website on my phone and finally got it to go through so we're now booked at Pop Century (I also upgraded our tickets to include the water park in case my granddaughter would like to go-she's a little fish, LOL).

EDIT-I thought I'd go with some of the suggestions and change to Pop Century, but I'm having trouble. I get to the second to last step and although my trip is paid off, it shows the amount as being less (not including the very last payment-I made two payments from different sources on the same day). Checked my bank account, and it still showed the payment as pending, so I waited. Today it's finally showing cleared and on the "My Plans" page it shows "paid in full," so hoped it would work today. Nope. I wasn't worried about the money showing differently because I could prove what I paid, so when I continued and hit the final submit, the next page said there was a "cart error" and had a code at the end. I hate calling because we're overseas and the delay in the conversation is annoying (or, sometimes if I explain I'm overseas they'll try to have me call elsewhere). I gave in and called, but of course with the time difference, they're not open. Ugh! Hopefully, I can get this done. I also decided to go ahead and rent a car, even though we probably won't use it often. It's only $100 more than paying for the shuttle, but we arrive just before midnight so it'll be nice to have our own transportation (plus on our departure day, after checkout we can place our bags in it and spend more time at the parks).
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I'm surprising my granddaughter with a trip to Disneyworld this summer (I normally wouldn't choose summer but we're stationed overseas and this is when we'll be back in the US). Of course, it's a big expense, so I told my husband I would figure out how to pay for it by June (I don't work outside the home, LOL). Well, I started selling food on base and, lo and behold, I was able to pay off our trip today. I chose All-Star Movies as a budget-saving hotel, but since selling my food is going so well and I still have 3 months until we head to the states (4 months until Disney), I thought I might change the reservation but not sure what to change it to.

I think I'm just looking for something easier to get to the parks from, especially Magic Kingdom (we're going to hit them all, but I have a feeling we'll spend the majority of time in the Magic Kingdom). Which would you choose?

Last edited:
There's a huge price difference between the All Stars and the monorail resorts. I guess if you can stretch, then any of them or Wilderness Lodge would be perfect for your plan to spend time in MK. I have stayed at Bay Lake, and walking to MK was so easy, and only one stop to TTC for the monorail to Epcot. We're staying at the Poly next year for the first time, sooo excited 😊

There's a huge price difference between the All Stars and the monorail resorts. I guess if you can stretch, then any of them or Wilderness Lodge would be perfect for your plan to spend time in MK. I have stayed at Bay Lake, and walking to MK was so easy, and only one stop to TTC for the monorail to Epcot. We're staying at the Poly next year for the first time, sooo excited 😊
Thanks for the reply. Both the Grand Floridian and the Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary would raise my price another $2000ish. The Contemporary almost triples what I paid! YIKES! I hadn't thought about Wilderness Lodge which will be approx. $1400 more. Could you tell me more about why you like the Wilderness Lodge? I'm heading over to read up on it now, but I'm really not familiar. Usually when I've gone to Disney World, I've done budget-friendly (or Shades of Green back when I was in the military), or stayed off resort. I'm having a difficult time deciding if getting a room with easier access to the parks is best, or use the extra money for stuff during the trip (and maybe even renting a car that, although we won't use much, would make getting from the airport late at night to the resort and returning to airport on departure day easier). So many decisions!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Both the Grand Floridian and the Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary would raise my price another $2000ish. The Contemporary almost triples what I paid! YIKES! I hadn't thought about Wilderness Lodge which will be approx. $1400 more. Could you tell me more about why you like the Wilderness Lodge? I'm heading over to read up on it now, but I'm really not familiar. Usually when I've gone to Disney World, I've done budget-friendly (or Shades of Green back when I was in the military), or stayed off resort.
Although I have visited WL many times (at Christmas time to check out the lovely tree and decorations) I haven't stayed there. I mentioned it as it has a boat as transportation to MK so another option close by but probably not as expensive as the other three.

I loved the grandness and theming of the main reception area. We've dined at Whispering Canyon Cafe, had QS at Roaring Fork, and Geyser Point is on my to-do list for the bison burger. The pool area looks lovely and the surroundings very calming after busy days in the park. Now I am wondering why we haven't stayed.......

If your going to use the resort pools and all it has to offer then its great to jump to a moderate for a couple resort days. Or your basically using the room to rest your head at night then value is even better. Save that 1400 difference and do a resort hop day, that money can be used for "experiences" dinners at nice restaurants and souvenirs. We have done it both ways, values, to moderates the last couple trips we actually used the resorts for what they were. The kids had more fun in the pools than the parks on the hot days.

Our trips are all budget trips. If you think the park you’ll visit most is MK i would recommend staying with All Stars, especially if your time will mainly be spent in the parks, I personally don’t feel the need to pay for a (vastly) more expensive place to sleep. We love the value resorts (have stayed in those 30+ times) and would rather spend our money other places.

Another option if you’re looking to add a new experience would be to add a water park if time allows.

One question, how old is your granddaughter?

Our trips are all budget trips. If you think the park you’ll visit most is MK i would recommend staying with All Stars, especially if your time will mainly be spent in the parks, I personally don’t feel the need to pay for a (vastly) more expensive place to sleep. We love the value resorts (have stayed in those 30+ times) and would rather spend our money other places..
Thanks! That's what I am thinking about. I can't talk it over with my daughter, since it's also a surprise to her, too. My husband would be absolutely NO HELP, LOL. We're stationed overseas and I plan all our trips. So long as we do some nerdy things (museums, etc.), he's happy.

Maybe I could buy them some Disney gift cards to buy things while we're there. I was planning on my daughter paying for hers and my granddaughter's souvenirs (and not charging 'em to the room/my credit card, LOL), but now since it looks like I'll have more money by then, it might be nice.

Maybe there's an "experience" I could add on or something??

I would either stay at All Stars or maybe move to POP but I agree with the others just staying in an expensive hotel to just sleep isn't worth it. I have stayed at all types of resorts and I book the Values every time I can justify the space for my groups, sometimes I need the larger rooms of the higher rated resorts.

For an experience - maybe a Dessert Party at the Magic Kingdom - I really enjoy the one where you have the lawn to sit on - it makes it easy to show up and not have to camp out a spot for the fireworks an hour or two ahead ahead of time to plus if you hang around afterwards you aren't in the crush to exit the parks.

Or you might want to save the extra money to be able to buy Genie+ and ILL for the parks - that can get expensive if you are doing it for multiple park/days and multiple people. I know that people state that you don't need it for all the parks but I have found that it makes it easier for me to purchase it to make reservations for rides versus "go with the flow" but I would definitely purchase ILL for the rides in all the parks if you want to ride the "big" ticket rides without a tremendously long hot wait.

I would either stay at All Stars or maybe move to POP but I agree with the others just staying in an expensive hotel to just sleep isn't worth it. I have stayed at all types of resorts and I book the Values every time I can justify the space for my groups, sometimes I need the larger rooms of the higher rated resorts.

For an experience - maybe a Dessert Party at the Magic Kingdom - I really enjoy the one where you have the lawn to sit on - it makes it easy to show up and not have to camp out a spot for the fireworks an hour or two ahead ahead of time to plus if you hang around afterwards you aren't in the crush to exit the parks.

Or you might want to save the extra money to be able to buy Genie+ and ILL for the parks - that can get expensive if you are doing it for multiple park/days and multiple people. I know that people state that you don't need it for all the parks but I have found that it makes it easier for me to purchase it to make reservations for rides versus "go with the flow" but I would definitely purchase ILL for the rides in all the parks if you want to ride the "big" ticket rides without a tremendously long hot wait.
All those are new since the last time I went (back in 2013), LOL, so I'll need to read up on them. Thanks!

Another vote for staying cheap and using the savings for the fun. But I would look at Pop Century as it has the skyliner which can easily get you to both Epcot and Hollywood studios. If you have a park hopper (paid for with the money you saved on lodging) you can take the monorail from Epcot to Magic Kingdom.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

Another vote for staying cheap and using the savings for the fun. But I would look at Pop Century as it has the skyliner which can easily get you to both Epcot and Hollywood studios. If you have a park hopper (paid for with the money you saved on lodging) you can take the monorail from Epcot to Magic Kingdom.

Have a great time whatever you decide!
We do have park hopper. I can't even remember now why I booked All-Star Movies over Pop Century so I need to go look into that. Thanks!

Yes, I would agree with others that if you are considering upgrading to a different Value resort, Pop would also be my suggestion. For us we find it worth the price due to the ease of the Skyliner. Hearing now that your last trip was in 2013, I would highly paying the bit extra and staying at Pop. The Skyliner is a game changer in the very best way!!!

May I also suggest you check out this thread:

Planning Tips for Your Disney World Trip - Start Here!!!

We have gathered a lot of helpful information/links into one place to help learn about how Disney functions in 2024.

We do have park hopper. I can't even remember now why I booked All-Star Movies over Pop Century so I need to go look into that. Thanks!
I just checked out Pop Century! That looks like fun. Unless anyone has a better suggestion, this might be it! How do you get to Magic Kingdom from here? Bus?

There all easy,,,not a huge resort,,,I would take the cheapest,,thats me,,,plus the pool view can be a little louder due to pool activities,,,,Preferred is a little closer to main building and food court.https://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/pop.htm
The 60s are preferred view pool,,,but nothing is too far compared to how long we walk in all the parks,

I feel like a moderate doesnt up your cost as much so still allows for extras, but does provide a nicer resort experience for that extra amount without breaking the bank. Ive stayed all resort categories and continue based on trip depending on my needs.
All moderates will bus to MK. But some have other transportation perks. If you think youll go to DHS and EP, the skyliner at CBR could help (which could also include some easy skyliner resort hopping for additional food options or just general fun checking them out).
POR and POFQ will have a boat to Disney Springs, if that interests you.

I'm going to join in a say move to a moderate and look at Caribbean Beach Resort
1. The main pool has a slide. Even my now 15 year old loves the slide. All resorts have pools, not all pools have slides.
2. SKYLINER! If you are going to all 4 parks and have park hoppers, being able to use the Skyliner is a game changer. You can use the Skyliner to HS and EPCOT.
3. Better food options. CBR has multiple places to eat, plus you are right next to Riviera and they have multiple food options.
4. Book a standard room, it will get you close to the Skyliner stations.
5. People are going to tell you CBR is huge, everything thing at Disney is huge and requires walking. Lots of walking.
6. I know the boards here have lots of info. I still love my original location for Disney research: WDW Prep School. Yes, she is a travel agent, but you don't have to book through her to read all the info. I've even emailed and asked questions and have never once used them to book.
7. Regardless of what you pick, have fun!!

Thanks for the reply. Both the Grand Floridian and the Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary would raise my price another $2000ish. The Contemporary almost triples what I paid! YIKES! I hadn't thought about Wilderness Lodge which will be approx. $1400 more. Could you tell me more about why you like the Wilderness Lodge? I'm heading over to read up on it now, but I'm really not familiar. Usually when I've gone to Disney World, I've done budget-friendly (or Shades of Green back when I was in the military), or stayed off resort. I'm having a difficult time deciding if getting a room with easier access to the parks is best, or use the extra money for stuff during the trip (and maybe even renting a car that, although we won't use much, would make getting from the airport late at night to the resort and returning to airport on departure day easier). So many decisions!!
If it’s $600 difference between Wilderness and GF I’d go with GF … that said IF your plans are solid and don’t expect changes I would rent DVC points from a trusted owner here and get a deluxe resort for a moderate (or less) price ….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter