Things not going well with the DDP changes

When we booked out bounceback in Sept. ( from our WDW resort room) we were informed of the changes to the DDP, by the CM. Through this board, we had already read about the changes and were not surprised. I have called WDW and modified our reservation several times since then, and each time the CM informed me of the new changes to the DDP. I must agree I feel many of the "mad" diners were aware of the changes, anf prolly did not agree with the new tipping policies. We usually tip 20%, an do not feel this will be a problem for us.

I hope all the "fireworks" calm down before Sept., we really don't need the stress on what is suppose to be our relaxing vacation.:confused3

Can anybody answer my question--do you actually receive information about the 2008 DDP after you buy it??
What I'm trying to establish is if all of those complaining were actually given wrong or erroneous information, or were simply lazy and didn't check what WAS given to them. Or worse, well knew the new policy and simply decided to save even MORE $$$ by not tipping. And cover that up by displays of mock outrage over the new policy.

I think as a consumer of the vacation they should be on top of what they are buying (in this case the DDP) --- getting upset at the wait staff for not knowing the plan is not right at all... the plan changes were OUT before you could purchase the 08 packages... I know as we were waiting for the day to be able to book our trip for 08... and we were aware of all the changes... yes there are some places where they havent updated the plan rules and that is not right --- the DVD is also still saying grats are included.... that is not right and disney needs to update this...

We will use cash for our tips... and we tip based on service... if we get good service the server can expect a GREAT tip - if we get bad service well then can expect a not so good tip...

another thing that is causing confussion I see it on this board too - is the difference in the dulx and reg dp... with the dulx plan you still get an appitiser and the 3 credits plus 2 snacks and the mug.... vs the reg plan --- keep it in mind there are several plans offered now...

When we booked out bounceback in Sept. ( from our WDW resort room) we were informed of the changes to the DDP, by the CM. Through this board, we had already read about the changes and were not surprised. I have called WDW and modified our reservation several times since then, and each time the CM informed me of the new changes to the DDP. I must agree I feel many of the "mad" diners were aware of the changes, anf prolly did not agree with the new tipping policies. We usually tip 20%, an do not feel this will be a problem for us.

I think the problems will diminish, but for those people that booked 2008 trips even before the 2008 rates were released, they may or may not have received updated information regarding the change, because there was no change when they booked. And if they were repeat guests who had used it before, they may have not read any info they did receive, because they wouldn't be expecting any change. It doesn't mean they should be taking it out on the servers in the restaurants though.

I'm one of those people who always reads the fine print, but there are a lot of people who don't. I think there should be a large print, straight to the point handout in the package documents prior to arrival, and I agree that it should be brought to everyone's attention at check in. It could be done so easily, with a handout that is simple, and straight to the point (especially in regards to the gratuity). I'm glad I don't do the DDP.

I just refuse to charge a tip to my room or mess around figureing the tip out at the table digging out cash etc etc.
Why refuse to tip using your room charge? I don't understand the objection. It seems that you are just making it harder for yourself or cheating the servers by not carrying enough cash.

I'm in the camp of they should have just RAISED the price....and left
the DDP the way it stood....

the only people that will be hurt by the new change is the servers.....
and it is NOT their fault.
I hope Disney compensates their employees in some way when they
get stiffed every day...
Europeans will NOT TIP anywhere near 18%....they don't really tip in europe.
Kerri

Can anybody answer my question--do you actually receive information about the 2008 DDP after you buy it??
What I'm trying to establish is if all of those complaining were actually given wrong or erroneous information, or were simply lazy and didn't check what WAS given to them. Or worse, well knew the new policy and simply decided to save even MORE $$$ by not tipping. And cover that up by displays of mock outrage over the new policy.

I booked my Jan. trip at the beginning of December (including the standard DDP). Of course I already knew about these changes from the boards, but I have yet to receive ANY information (verbal or written) regarding the new DDP. When I booked my trip, via phone, the CM did not mention the DDP policy or changes to it. Nor did I receive any info with my confirmation or travel docs.

If you check out the DDP brochure on Disney's website, it does state that appy and tip are not included. However, I personally have quit using the website because it has been extremely slow with tons of error/server down messages lately. Not to mention, it is not very user friendly if you are looking for specific information.

So, to answer your question, in my experience you do NOT receive any info from Disney regarding the DDP after you purchase it. I can see how people who have used DDP in the past (or knew someone who did) can assume that it works the same and be upset when finding out differently while on vacation. However, I don't think that swearing/yelling at the manager/server is the appropriate way to deal with it.

I feel most sorry for the servers as they will bear the brunt of the general discontent with the new policy. Both in lost tips and having to deal with angry patrons. I think eliminating the tip was a bad move on Disney's part. I agree with some of the previous posters that they would've been better off to just increase the price. Of course, if enough people quit using the DDP, I would have a better chance of getting dinner at LeCellier at the last minute :lmao:

I'm not on the DDP and never was. But let me ask--when you purchase it (or get it purchased for you from a travel agent, etc) don't they send you SOMETHING explaining the plan??
I don't recall ever getting anything in advance when I signed up for the DDP and we have used it 4 times. Then again, I am very familiar with it and the changes to the plan (except for the "single serving snack" thing which caught me by surprise) so I may have just ignored it anyway. You do receive the official brochure when you check in which includes all the current rules.

I just returned from WDW. I had the Dining plan...arrived on Dec 29th and received what i thought I would get. My brother booked at the same time, arrived on Jan 1st, printed out the Dining information on the day before on Dec 31st, only to find out for the very first time at a sit down restaurant that the appetizers he'd already picked out was not covered and his tip was not covered. Multiply this by 6 because he has 4 kids.

No one at his resort mentioned this when he booked in. And this really caused him some stress, because his budget was stretch just to come in the first place.

The servers were put on the spot, and it was a terrible situation for everyone. We got it partially worked out, but Disney's basic reaction was 'TOO BAD".

I have read that many people knew about this change from Bulletin boards like this, but I would think the provider of the plan could come with a way of communicating such a significant change a little better. This was brutal

The more expensive the restaurant, the worse the tips are getting. I'll explain. Take your average small town family that saved up a couple years for their trip. Their household income is like 60K, they don't eat out a lot, and if they do its a mom and pop restaurant, etc. Anyway, if they go to a disney restaurant with their family of 4, and the check says a 18% tip is $20, that may be shocking to them. They are use to tipping $5 back home. Dad finds a middle ground, and leave $10. Now the next day they do to a top end restaurant, and 18% is $30 some dollars. That could be 2 hours work for dad. He ups his last tip, and leaves the server $15. That could be the most he has ever tipped, and he really means the best by it.

A co-worker told me that a friend of hers overhead another guy talking about a rumor of a family that vacationed with in-laws who believed that they saw another couple discussing the DDP and the fact that some people might not have approved of a 15% gratuity for ADR’s of less than six persons whereas the DH thought that a “service charge” of 18% was in excess but was “overruled” by his DW and informed that they were, in fact, leaving a “tip” in the amount of 20% in the eventuality that they would, in fact, dine at a place and location to be determined on the Disney/greater Disney dining area, more or less.

How can anyone argue with that? ;)

Now I really realize how valuable these boards are for info, I decided to go with the deluxe plan this year because I had read about the changes here. I wonder if all of these upset guests will cause Disney to make a change in the DDP midstream? The tip is a real pain, my DH and I were just discussing how we will handle tips when we go back in June-July. I think we will just carry cash for tipping so we can get out quickly. However, I think the best idea would have been, as many others have noted, to just raise the cost of the DDP, not taking away from it!

I've been posting all along that this would be a huge mess...and I don't think it will improve as time goes on. WDW guests are there in short time periods...they aren't customers that come back time and again and grow used to a change. At this point I don't think it would help to send out correct dining info to everyone who has bought the plan...people would just be angry that they would be paying more than they originally thought. I'm thinking WDW will have to put the tip back in...they've already won some...they've changed the snacks and cut out the appetizer...though I do hope there is a change to app OR dessert. I wonder if WDW did any research on this, aside from obvious number crunching,or just went with someone's stupid idea. If, as the article in the OP stated WDW other than food service profited by the DDP...couldn't some of the profit be directed towards food service ? Win/win for everyone.

A few thoughts:

1. Many people mentioned in article probably don't even know about Disboards (if they did, they would know about gratuity), and so they sure as heck aren't searching around on Disney's website looking for Dining Plan FAQs.

2. Most of those people probably booked through a travel agent, who should have been aware of new changes - all you have to do is read a few Internet articles or visit a few websites, and this info has been around for months.

3. If they have visited WDW before, and were expecting the same plan, then that is ridiculous since all things are "Subject to change."

Bottom line for me regarding Disney is that they haven't done a good job of informing people on the new changes - especially since they just updated their brochures for Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining yesterday, when 2008 has already started. All CMs should have informed all travel agents, guests, etc. of these changes, as getting a Dining Plan brochure at check-in is not the answer either. Disney should have updated brochures, all websites and other media in order to inform as many patrons as possible, since putting out these fires from doing so, as mentioned in the article, is a looking to be a big problem.

Bottom line regarding guests is that I can understand people being upset or frustrated, but like with most of what I see in WDW, it doesn't surprise me that guests are that rude. I see such rudeness, ignorance and entitlement around WDW these days, that I fully expected this to happen. You have people who want to eat $200.00 a day worth of food for $38.00, tips included, mixed with rational & realistic people who are just trying to enjoy their vacations. I would definitely not want to be working in the restaurants this week, as guests who should be angry with Disney corporate, are taking it out on hardworking servers and that should never be the case.

Disney has a problem on their hands that they in all of their stellar customer service expertise, should have seen coming. How they deal with it now is going to be scrutinized as there are so many players: guests, servers, restaurant managers, shareholders, media and corporate. For us, we are doing the Deluxe plan as this is how we eat: no fast food and 3 meals a day due to low blood sugar. We are grateful that we are going to save money, but do we think Disney has to offer a dining plan at all? Nope! If I may quote Bicker, who has mentioned it many times, last year's plan was a better financial deal (value is subjective for all people) for guests, but Disney has no obligation to any of us to provide the exact same plan. People get so angry when it comes to money, and that is the whole problem. Perhaps if people look at the Dining Plan as a convenient option, instead of wanting to take as much food from Disney as possible, for a little money, then they would be able to deal better. Notwithstanding this, I think Disney not properly informing guests of changes, is a bit much - guests shouldn't be expected to search Internet forums or read several newspapers in order to educate themselves about their coming vacations - that should come from the people who they are vacationing with.

Tiger

I'm glad it is a disaster! It's the only way that folks in power are going to sit up and take notice! It was a bad idea to change it.....and maybe now the message will become more clear!

A co-worker told me that a friend of hers overhead another guy talking about a rumor of a family that vacationed with in-laws who believed that they saw another couple discussing the DDP and the fact that some people might not have approved of a 15% gratuity for ADR’s of less than six persons whereas the DH thought that a “service charge” of 18% was in excess but was “overruled” by his DW and informed that they were, in fact, leaving a “tip” in the amount of 20% in the eventuality that they would, in fact, dine at a place and location to be determined on the Disney/greater Disney dining area, more or less.

How can anyone argue with that? ;)

??????????

I am going in September and am using the DDP. I did research online and I knew that tipping would not be included. Here is the problem. I ordered the vacation planning DVD from Disney. It arrived 2 weeks ago. At this time Disney was (maybe they still are) sending out the 2007 DVD. When they discussed the DDP on the DVD they specifically stated that the tip WAS included on the plan. It is very possible that people booked the DDP based on what they heard on the DVD about the tip being included.

I really think anyone that booked their 2008 DDP back in 2007 should have received a letter or phone call advising them of the changes to the plan and been givin the option of cancelling that portion of their reservation without penalty. Just the tiniest bit of customer service would have gone a long way to help avoid the scenarios mentioned thus far.

A few thoughts:

2. Most of those people probably booked through a travel agent....

I'd be careful on that one, that is probably a stretch to say "most." I do agree with much of your post, however.

Since you have to stay on Disney property to purchase the DDP, the CM at check-in should just look to see if the people are on the DDP and advise everyone that there are some changes in 2008. It would take all of 5 seconds and avoid the "sticker shock" at the first TS meal. This solution is just too simple....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter