Things not going well with the DDP changes

That is correct. Last time I looked, a few days ago, Disney's own website still listed gratuities as included on their FAQ.

Yes, I confirmed this:

Q. How does the Disney Dining Plan work?
A. Use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your stay until your total is completed. For example, on the day of arrival your travel party of four could use four counter-service meals, and then on day two your party could use four table-service meals, four counter-service meals, and two snacks. You can continue using meals any way you like for the rest of your stay until the number of meals allotted are completed.

Present your Key to the World card to your server prior to ordering, so your server knows to charge meals to your Disney Dining Plan. Applicable taxes and gratuities are already prepaid and included. Your meal usage will be tracked electronically to your room reservation. Each time you redeem meals or snacks from your Disney Dining Plan, your server or cashier will provide you with a receipt showing your remaining balance.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQTicketsPage#q20

Somebody dropped the ball on updating all the information on their website. When you actually try to book it though it lists the correct info.

but to call people "entitled jerks" for not being told of the changes is not fair.

I may have been a little harsh. Probably my repressed anger from 20 years ago when I worked at an amusement park and dealt with so many of these jerks who thought their admission ticket entitled them to treat every park employee like dirt and walked around like they had just bought the place.

Yes, I confirmed this:

Q. How does the Disney Dining Plan work?
A. Use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your stay until your total is completed. For example, on the day of arrival your travel party of four could use four counter-service meals, and then on day two your party could use four table-service meals, four counter-service meals, and two snacks. You can continue using meals any way you like for the rest of your stay until the number of meals allotted are completed.

Present your Key to the World card to your server prior to ordering, so your server knows to charge meals to your Disney Dining Plan. Applicable taxes and gratuities are already prepaid and included. Your meal usage will be tracked electronically to your room reservation. Each time you redeem meals or snacks from your Disney Dining Plan, your server or cashier will provide you with a receipt showing your remaining balance.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQTicketsPage#q20

Somebody dropped the ball on updating all the information on their website. When you actually try to book it though it lists the correct info.

After having read this myself and it is in writing on WDW Website, aren't they in some regard responsible for carrying thru with the aforementioned gratuity? It's kind of like shopping in Walmart, if the price tag says $6.97 and then it rings up at the register as $9.97, aren't you going to try and get it at the $6.97 price. I know I would. As long as the website FAQ's continue to state that gratuity and tax is included, I think that they should be willing to follow up, this is one of those cases that there IT and Web dept. aren't keeping up with their web site.

The plan changed with no warning for most. We found out about it on this board about 2 or 3 months ago.

The plan changes are clearly explained in the brochures, which came out when? Sept? I don't remember exactly, but I know it has been a while because the wait on the updated participating restaurant list was excrutiatingly long. I really don't have much sympathy for people who didn't bother to read the brochure and then got upset when the plan they purchased wasn't exactly what they expected.

The plan changes are clearly explained in the brochures, which came out when? Sept? I don't remember exactly, but I know it has been a while because the wait on the updated participating restaurant list was excrutiatingly long. I really don't have much sympathy for people who didn't bother to read the brochure and then got upset when the plan they purchased wasn't exactly what they expected.

Many people book their vacations more than 4 months out. Do they continually check on updates? Probably not. There is a link above that shows the gratuities are still included. Not everyone is as Disney savvy as some long time posters on this board. I asked about the DDP before I knew of the changes. No one at Disney told me there were any differences from previous years.

Bottom line, this is a mess. Disney booked for how many months...with no one knowing a change was coming for the package they booked? This could have and should have been planned a little better.

I wish tip were included so the servers wouldnt lose out, Ill bet this weeks tips were horrible:scared1:

The more expensive the restaurant, the worse the tips are getting. I'll explain. Take your average small town family that saved up a couple years for their trip. Their household income is like 60K, they don't eat out a lot, and if they do its a mom and pop restaurant, etc. Anyway, if they go to a disney restaurant with their family of 4, and the check says a 18% tip is $20, that may be shocking to them. They are use to tipping $5 back home. Dad finds a middle ground, and leave $10. Now the next day they do to a top end restaurant, and 18% is $30 some dollars. That could be 2 hours work for dad. He ups his last tip, and leaves the server $15. That could be the most he has ever tipped, and he really means the best by it.

I'm good friends with a handful of disney servers. One has 20+ years, and has know a server at the california grille for many years. I was told the servers there are taking a hard hit with this, in additional to having guests upset.

We just booked about a month ago and was told NOTHING about any changes for our 12th trip in January 27-31. Matter of fact when I called back to ask Disney some even said the tip and appetizer was still there and some said no. When the just lately added appetizer to 3-9 years old, the(supervision) did not no anything about that addition. I was on hold for 20 minutes while she looked into it because we felt that had to be a mistake. appetizer for a 3-9. :rotfl: :confused3. I could see people upset at managers if you have had it this way in the past and have been told NOTHING about any changes. Is it still a good deal, don't know until three weeks:confused: But dessert or appetizer choice would have been a better start.

One of my coworkers is making her first trip to WDW in July. She's going with her sister, B-I-L and their four kids. It will be her sister's family's second trip. When they booked the trip a couple of weeks ago, they were not told of the changes to the DDP. Having read about it on here, I told her it was not a good deal anymore. She said her sister was doing all the planning for the trip, but she would tell her. She came back and said her sister was familiar with the DDP having used it last summer and that she had checked WDW site and it stated the appetizers and gratuity were still included. I again tried to warn her. She again told her sister, who then called WDW and was told by an uninformed CM, that yes, the appetizer and gratuity were still included. I came across looking like an idiot. I just showed her this article and she's extremely upset. We printed it off and she will show it to her sister in the morning. If this situation is happening all across the US (or for that matter some visitors have no one to tell them, otherwise), you can see why people would be upset once they get down there. This family of seven are assuming they will have enough food to share (with the appetizers), so have booked extra TS meals, and are also assuming that they will not need any money for tips. They are traveling on a pretty strict budget. They'd be getting down there only to find that they would be getting less food (not enough to share) and so would have to probably cancel some TS meals, plus would have to come up with quite a bit of money for tips (for seven people). Yes, they are going to be upset to find that what they were told they paid for is not what they are receiving. They have alot of meals booked and may have to cancel some (since they had planned on sharing the appetizer, entrees, and desserts). Their plans will definitely be changing. If my coworker can even get her sister to believe her, they are going to be very unhappy (yet WDW website still lists appetizer and gratuity as being included and CRO CMs are still telling people they are included).

The more expensive the restaurant, the worse the tips are getting. I'll explain. Take your average small town family that saved up a couple years for their trip. Their household income is like 60K, they don't eat out a lot, and if they do its a mom and pop restaurant, etc. Anyway, if they go to a disney restaurant with their family of 4, and the check says a 18% tip is $20, that may be shocking to them. They are use to tipping $5 back home. Dad finds a middle ground, and leave $10. Now the next day they do to a top end restaurant, and 18% is $30 some dollars. That could be 2 hours work for dad. He ups his last tip, and leaves the server $15. That could be the most he has ever tipped, and he really means the best by it.

I'm good friends with a handful of disney servers. One has 20+ years, and has know a server at the california grille for many years. I was told the servers there are taking a hard hit with this, in additional to having guests upset.

A person making $15 an hour doesn't make $60K a year. It's more like $31K. What is sad...is a WDW server makes way more than this Dad. The server should appreciate what is given. I have read your posts, that if you can't afford to tip appropriately...don't eat there. I find it hard to find any sympathy for servers who have this attitude.

The average family can not afford to vacation at WDW. The average family of four, according to statistics, actually saves for SEVEN years for a week stay at WDW.

Some of us, on this board, said months ago that there were going to be a lot of shocked and angry people come 2008. I think, I am even surprised at the level of negative response. They even have had to call security on some of the guests! The managers can't handle the situation...they are sending the guests to Customer Relations. What a fine way to spend your vacation.

A person making $15 an hour doesn't make $60K a year. It's more like $31K. What is sad...is a WDW server makes way more than this Dad. The server should appreciate what is given. I have read your posts, that if you can't afford to tip appropriately...don't eat there. I find it hard to find any sympathy for servers who have this attitude.

I was simply tossing out make believe number. Way to look to far into it. I left any personal opinions(pro or con) out of my post. YOU brought in the negativity.

I think, I am even surprised at the level of negative response. They even have had to call security on some of the guests! The managers can't handle the situation...they are sending the guests to Customer Relations. What a fine way to spend your vacation.

I'm not surprised at calling security. Its a pretty basic response. A guest gets upset. Management in nicer words says "sorry, but to bad" It can then go two ways. The guest walks away, and its over. If the guest gets a little more mad, and uses an un-disney word or two. Management will give them a warning. Another slip of the tongue, and security and an area manager are called.

I just got back.

I hadn't used the previous plan but am upset at the dessert thing. There are no substitutions allowed--even for medical reasons. Just to make a point--I ordered my desserts and then left them on the table.

Also--the receipts tell you the amount of tip for 18 and 20 percent. Even at buffets. I normally tip 20 but at PSB in Norway--the service was terrible. Horrendous. I was only going to leave 10 percent but then just couldn't do it--I ended up leaving her the 20% I normally do.

It did no good to ask for or talk to a manager. I think they are PTSD'd on complaints. And they are NOT willing to compensate, offer anything, etc to anyone.

I just got back.

I hadn't used the previous plan but am upset at the dessert thing. There are no substitutions allowed--even for medical reasons. Just to make a point--I ordered my desserts and then left them on the table.

Also--the receipts tell you the amount of tip for 18 and 20 percent. Even at buffets. I normally tip 20 but at PSB in Norway--the service was terrible. Horrendous. I was only going to leave 10 percent but then just couldn't do it--I ended up leaving her the 20% I normally do.

It did no good to ask for or talk to a manager. I think they are PTSD'd on complaints. And they are NOT willing to compensate, offer anything, etc to anyone.

Is this amount added to the bill automatically or a suggestion as to how much 18% tip would be if you decide to leave that much? I can see them adding it to a large group but can't see them demanding a certain percent. I know it is calulated into the total of the ones on DDE but wondering about the DP? Do they add the 18% onto the bill total? (if they do--How Rude!)
No one likes to be told how much the have to give for tip it should be based on service one receives.
I would never stiff anyone but don't think they deserve a full tip if I got lousy service, the tip amount should be my choice. If I choose to give 20% for good service that should be my choice also.

There is a link above that shows the gratuities are still included.

I should add, you actually have to search for that FAQ. If you are just on the WDW website booking a Magic Your Way package and want to add dining, it tells you what is included and that gratuities are not included. I bet some of these people had clueless travel agents.

I hate to say that I saw this coming--but I did. From all that I've read on many, many, MANY threads, the DDP for most folks has simply been about getting as much food as humanly possible with as little expense as humanly possible. Cutting the appetizer and not including gratuity cuts into both concepts.
I still find it hard to understand how so many people did not know about this BEFORE they purchased the 2008 DDP? OR did most really know and are simply taking things out on the servers??
Remember-it's ALL about saving money.

I still find it hard to understand how so many people did not know about this BEFORE they purchased the 2008 DDP? OR did most really know and are simply taking things out on the servers??
Remember-it's ALL about saving money.

I suppose repeat visitors who have been on a dining plan in the past may have just added it this time without even thinking about it or noticing that it was different. Although it was cheaper, so you think they would wonder why.

Still, people want the world for a buck and change. Disney should just drop the Dining Plan altogether and make these people pay full price. You still save money on Disney dining with the Dining Plan, just not as much as before.

We all know the minute they compensate a DISer it will be posted all over the boards. Then you'll have other DISers expecting the same type of compensation.

Wow, we leave in a couple of weeks....no DDP for us this trip because of the changes. However, it sounds like the restraurant activities should be interesting and distracting.

I'm not on the DDP and never was. But let me ask--when you purchase it (or get it purchased for you from a travel agent, etc) don't they send you SOMETHING explaining the plan??

Glad we won't be on DPP. Our vacation is something we look forward to all year. Last think I want to deal with is server assuming I'm going to be yet another difficult guest who expected one thing and is now getting another.

It worked well for me last year to joke a little bit, as they ask, are you DDP?? DDE??? "No, I'm just a regular person. :) What do you recommend?" All the servers seemed glad to just launch into their menu suggestions.

Just think--it's only January 8 and all these problems.
It's going to be a L-O-N-G year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter