• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

Looks like I need to look into getting a double wide bob stroller now. Wonder how that's going to work with a new baby and a 3 year old...
I think I mentioned this a while ago on this thread, but I will heartily recommend the double bob ironman stroller. I ran most days with one for a year and a half. It is pretty easy to push and very smooth ride for the little ones!

I have never been close enough to the front to even realize there are any announcers until about 1-2 corrals in front of me. :o For Tink 2015, I was in the last corral because I had no PoT and there were no speakers (or even view of a stage or screen) for a loooong time, and for W&D 2015 I was in the corral like 3 or 4 from the back, but all the speakers in the back half of the corrals died, so neither time were there any speakers until you got way close to the front.

However, I do know who you are talking about from the Magical Express video. :D

Blonde announcer.
She's the blond race announcer. She's also on the Magic Express video.

I can picture her now from the Magic Express videos but had no idea she was one of the race announcers. I don't even wear earbuds at Disney, so I'm not sure how I've not noticed.

"I ran a marathon once. It was, like, 6 miles or so."
That person is the bane of my existence.

2. "Know where to go?" - direct quote from a bus driver
Would this happen to be during the 2016 Princess Half because my bus driver said that before actually getting lost so we ended up having to take the monorail from the transportation center. I was less than amused.

Since @LSUlakes is busy with his "baking", I'm going to hijack the QOTD and bring in the "How to Annoy an Ironman/Runner/Cyclist" fun that's been going around on social media the past few days. Ready?

How to Annoy a Disney Runner (in no more than four words)...and GO!

1. Are bibs out yet?
2. Sorry, no more deferrals

I LOVE THIS QUESTION! I am about to quote a lot of other people's answers, because I just was saying "ME TOO!" to a lot of them.

Oh, this should be fun ...

1. Walkers to the right!
2. Holding hands while "running"
3. Everyone gets a medal
4. "Just" the half marathon
5. Anything involving Princess Weekend
6. No more night races

How about.... Selfie sticks or pictures before common decency.

1. Corral jumping.
2. Don't use that porta-potty.

Amen on the corral jumping! The corrals are set up that way for a reason! Ugh.

1. Walkers side by side
2. Pins & magnets sold out
3. Deferrals gone away
4. Are there buses to Expo?
5. Posting w/o reading FAQ/website

1. Totally agree, especially at the finish line! I was behind 4-5 people holding hands across the finish line! Come on! You know you're not the only people trying to cross, right?

5. YES....a thousand times, yes.

ATTQOTD: To go along with posting without reading the website... "When's the registration date?"

Basically "When is or what is [insert info that can be found on the runDisney site here]?" At least try to look there first. Please.

More than 4 words, but - I definitely don't want to make it seem like people that are new to runDisney aren't allowed to ask questions (in case any newer people are lurking here, HI! :wave:), but I also feel like people don't try to look for info anymore...whether on runDisney.com or even doing a search in the forums. That's sort of a head-scratcher for me.

Seriously. I personally don't want to rely on other people to tell me important dates and times and facts. Experiences, yes...but facts, no.

Rain in the forecast
Short walk to corral
Course narrows ahead(on repeat)

Agreed... and I can't remember it ever being an issue here (and don't be scared lurkers if you're out there, we're mostly just having fun... no one is really PO'd about this stuff :)), it's mainly in the various FB groups that it gets a little annoying. Sometimes it's like even multiple times a day, although to be fair, FB doesn't make it exactly easy to read group posts anymore with their wacky sorting order (but the search does usually work). I used to like to scroll back through several days worth of posts in groups to see if what I was looking for had been posted. But things like the registration dates... it's like... there's a huge dropdown on the top of rundisney.com with this stuff! :)

It is really bad on Facebook. When races are approaching, I kind of steer clear, which is sad. I've met a lot of great people there, but randoms who show up at the last minute to ask questions like that over and over...I can't handle it sometimes.

I'm a chronic question asker because I tend to want a person who experienced something in real life to confirm or deny what the rundisney website is telling me (like what time do I "really" need to be on a bus, for example.) But once I sat down and decided to read the race weekend thread from the previous year's race...it was like "Hey...all my questions are answered here already...and look, answers to questions I didn't know I had yet." ) So I feel like once I learned to read old race threads, it cut down on my level of annoying-ness here :) So that's my new pro-tip...read the race thread from the previous year..but also knowing rundisney may not do things the same exact way this year. :)

I feel like there's a difference. Asking what time you should get on the bus is not the same as asking when the registration date is. That's an experience question. You can look up when the bus gets there, but it's really a question of opinion of people who have been there. I know a lot of new people are shocked at what time the first bus arrives. Some people think you need to be on it, some don't.

CONGRATS @LSUlakes
I'm really sorry, but speaking as someone who did battle with ITBS, there simply is no quick fix. :( The best thing to do is to not run. I pushed through the pain to race and it was disastrous; agonizing pain and set back recovery by months. So I can't in any way recommend it if the pain is already present. I did find an ITB strap to be helpful in keeping the pain away, but only once pain was gone for long time and I resumed running; it did nothing while pain was already present.

Agreed. Go to a doctor and do PT and do everything they say, even if they say not to run.

I got nothing witty to say in regards to the pic/comment above, because well... we are going to the Citrus bowl and not the playoffs. Just ouch...

I feel your pain. I'm a Sooner. I mean, we're going to the Sugar Bowl and finally back in the top 10, so it's not so bad now. We just had some embarrassing losses right out of the gate that kept us out of the playoffs.

I don't mind Carissa... :duck:

So it's not just me! I actually met her. She's very nice.

So it's not just me! I actually met her. She's very nice.
I have never met her but I don't mind her. Her voice might be a bit much for some but I just take it as something to keep me hyped up in the morning. I also find the Magical express video as a preview to my trip and it only gets me more excited.

Would this happen to be during the 2016 Princess Half because my bus driver said that before actually getting lost so we ended up having to take the monorail from the transportation center. I was less than amused.

I heard about this. What a nightmare. I know those people are not Disney cast members, but they should know where to go, or they shouldn't be there.

I heard about this. What a nightmare. I know those people are not Disney cast members, but they should know where to go, or they shouldn't be there.

I HATED my bus driver for the 5k last Jan. because she talked the whole way back from the race. And kept saying "chugalug" over and over and then complained about when she worked for disney endlessly and listed all the salaries of drivers for the last decade+. But then when it got time to drop us off at our resorts and she said Contemporary was last and a bunch of people groaned (myself included) she said "ok Contemporary is not last" and kind of changed the resort order. And then I loved her for that last couple minutes.
But yeah, totally took me out of my "magic disney bubble"

I HATED my bus driver for the 5k last Jan. because she talked the whole way back from the race. And kept saying "chugalug" over and over and then complained about when she worked for disney endlessly and listed all the salaries of drivers for the last decade+. But then when it got time to drop us off at our resorts and she said Contemporary was last and a bunch of people groaned (myself included) she said "ok Contemporary is not last" and kind of changed the resort order. And then I loved her for that last couple minutes.
But yeah, totally took me out of my "magic disney bubble"
oh wow how annoying. Our drivers have not spoken as far as I remember, which is just fine by me.

My driver I had going to the W&D 2015 expo was not bad. I call him "my driver" because I was the only one there at the very first bus to leave POFQ for the first expo day so I could get in line early. :o No one got on at POR either. He didn't really know where he was going super well, we had some issues in the getting from POFQ to POR part, but then he got me to the expo fine. He chit chatted with me because it was a little awkward with just the two of us on the bus, but it was good chit chat, not annoying stuff. :) And normally I hate when people try to chit chat with me, because I am not very good at making small talk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter