• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

More than 4 words, but - I definitely don't want to make it seem like people that are new to runDisney aren't allowed to ask questions (in case any newer people are lurking here, HI! :wave:), but I also feel like people don't try to look for info anymore...whether on runDisney.com or even doing a search in the forums. That's sort of a head-scratcher for me.

As the one who started this, I'll clarify too. I love being helpful and I think most folks on here do, as well. However, I find it frustrating to see the same questions asked over and over again for information that is readily available either through official channels or a quick search of this forum. If you honestly can't find information and are stumped, by all means ask. But don't expect the folks on this board to be your Google.

I am currently bracing myself for the absolute flood of "How do I get my pictures in my PhotoPass?" questions that are about to descend on the forum along with Marathon Weekend. Hint: Instructions are on the back of the bib that you are linking and in the event guide you didn't read.

Maybe I'm just Grumpy today.

As the one who started this, I'll clarify too. I love being helpful and I think most folks on here do, as well. However, I find it frustrating to see the same questions asked over and over again for information that is readily available either through official channels or a quick search of this forum. If you honestly can't find information and are stumped, by all means ask. But don't expect the folks on this board to be your Google.

I am currently bracing myself for the absolute flood of "How do I get my pictures in my PhotoPass?" questions that are about to descend on the forum along with Marathon Weekend. Hint: Instructions are on the back of the bib that you are linking and in the event guide you didn't read.

I'm a chronic question asker because I tend to want a person who experienced something in real life to confirm or deny what the rundisney website is telling me (like what time do I "really" need to be on a bus, for example.) But once I sat down and decided to read the race weekend thread from the previous year's race...it was like "Hey...all my questions are answered here already...and look, answers to questions I didn't know I had yet." ) So I feel like once I learned to read old race threads, it cut down on my level of annoying-ness here :) So that's my new pro-tip...read the race thread from the previous year..but also knowing rundisney may not do things the same exact way this year. :)

Stockings for mom, dad, sibling, and baby?

@LSUlakes You could tell them you can't decide on a new pair of running shoes and then just show them these?

I like both of these ideas!

You're Almost There!

HA! Our Galloway group leader a couple of years ago was cheering us on at mile 20 of our local marathon. She had a sign that read, "You are NOT almost there. :) " Cracked me up!!

And, eh, I don't mind the questions. I know you CAN find nearly everything, but the search function isn't always that user-friendly and while I agree that probably every possible answer you need is here SOMEWHERE, it can be daunting to find it and not everybody has the time to spend on here reading threads that are hundreds of pages long - unlike me who spends WAY too much time reading said threads. :o And, truthfully, if I don't want to answer a question, I just don't answer it. But, that's me and I get why others can find it annoying. I just know I was a newby about runDisney once (and I am again now with doing my first DL race), so I try to remember what it feels like to have all those questions and be intimidated by those who already know all the answers.

I do think the new FAQ thread that Ryan @rteetz created should be a big help with that though.

This week we have the following folks with races:

10 - @baxter24 - Durham Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
10 - tigger536 - Barb's 5k (NG / N/A)
11 - tigger536 - Jeff Galloway Half Marathon (2:15:00 / N/A)
11 - @GARUNMOM - Locomotive Half Marathon (2:44:59 / N/A)
11 - @Mickey Momma - Santa Hustle Smokies Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

@tigger536 if you would like me to remove you races from this list, just let me know and I will. I saw them posted and wanted to include you.

If anyone would like to revise their goal for this weekends race or add a race to the list, let me know and I will add is ASAP. Good luck to everyone this weekend and hope you have a great race!

I'm running the Tucson half on saturday, it was a last minute impulse registration. No time goal, just looking to shake out the cobwebs for WDW next month.

ATTQOTD: I really do love the whole Christmas season, but have a love/hate relationship with Christmas and New Year's Eve. My birthday is the 30th, so when I was a kid it was eclipsed by Christmas and now that I'm over 21, it is eclipsed by NYE. Thankfully my dad's birthday is the 24th, so my parents were hyper aware of the issues and made sure to NEVER give me combined gifts and to have a distinctly separate celebration every year. I do love to decorate and my husband and I have a long list of holiday movies we watch every year (starting the day after Thanksgiving to get them all in).

Same here! My birthday is on the 28th, so I feel your pain.

ATTQOTD (yesterday): But I really loved Christmas as a kid, we'd spend Christmas Eve at my grandparents' and attend nighttime Lutheran church service conducted in English, German, and Norwegian. My grandma would make her homemade Swedish (since she's Norwegian, maybe not Swedish?!) meatballs as well as lefse, and my dad brought the lutefisk (our cats loved it when he made it, the rest of us not so much), and it was fun to spend time with my cousins. My grandpa is a huge movie buff and it was always fun to see the latest additions to his VHS collection. Nowadays we don't always make it back north for the holidays, so I've started making my grandma's recipes, and when we go to Disney at Christmas time, we make a point of stopping at Bakeri og Kafe in Norway and order lefse, and now the fisherman's platter is also like Christmas to me. We also keep Aquavit in the freezer for the holidays.

Lastly, huge congrats to @LSUlakes - fantastic news!!

I'm in desperate mode. My IT band is some kind of upset with me. Does anyone have any miracle fix? I've been rolling and stretching for a couple of weeks. I know strengthening my glutes will help in the long term, but I'm a little over a week out from my race. I don't have time for long term fixes. I go to physical therapy today to have the graston technique done. I'm willing to try anything to help.

I'm in desperate mode. My IT band is some kind of upset with me. Does anyone have any miracle fix? I've been rolling and stretching for a couple of weeks. I know strengthening my glutes will help in the long term, but I'm a little over a week out from my race. I don't have time for long term fixes. I go to physical therapy today to have the graston technique done. I'm willing to try anything to help.

Been there, fought that, wish there was a miracle fix. You are doing everything that I did in the past, especially working on those gluteus medius exercises. Are you thinking of doing any running between now and the race? If so, I would potentially re-evaluate that. Get it as healed as possible before race day.

There are some bands/sleeves you can use but I don't know how effective they would be if you are in a lot of pain from it. These are some on running warehouse. I've used the Pro-Tec but that was primarily after healing. Hope you can get it feeling better but I think Seashore is pretty willing to work with you if you can't go. Good luck!

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-INJITBAND.html

Since @LSUlakes is busy with his "baking", I'm going to hijack the QOTD and bring in the "How to Annoy an Ironman/Runner/Cyclist" fun that's been going around on social media the past few days. Ready?

How to Annoy a Disney Runner (in no more than four words)...and GO!

Wow, I'm gone for 18 hours and miss all the good stuff.

@LSUlakes, incredible news! Congrats!!

ATTQOTD (many of the good ones were already taken):
1. I got runDisney email.
2. Where are gift cards?
3. Is course map available?
4. Really... another overpass?
5. Osceola Parkway
6. Checked luggage not here.

Last edited:
CONGRATS @LSUlakes !!

How to Annoy a Disney Runner (in no more than four words)...and GO!
"Who's running ONLY {the} Marathon?!" (sorry - that one needed 5 words!)
"Best shoe for me?"
"What weather in January?"
"WALKERS ON THE RIGHT!!!!"
"Sold out"

I'm really sorry, but speaking as someone who did battle with ITBS, there simply is no quick fix. :( The best thing to do is to not run. I pushed through the pain to race and it was disastrous; agonizing pain and set back recovery by months. So I can't in any way recommend it if the pain is already present. I did find an ITB strap to be helpful in keeping the pain away, but only once pain was gone for long time and I resumed running; it did nothing while pain was already present.

@LSUlakes

Let's give this young one a chance to celebrate championships.
I got nothing witty to say in regards to the pic/comment above, because well... we are going to the Citrus bowl and not the playoffs. Just ouch...

You and I know both know I wouldn't allow that gear on my children. I wouldn't even do it if you paid for a deluxe resort stay at WDW, park tickets for a week, and meal plan. Now maybe if you threw some cash in for booze... lol

I got nothing witty to say in regards to the pic/comment above, because well... we are going to the Citrus bowl and not the playoffs. Just ouch...

You and I know both know I wouldn't allow that gear on my children. I wouldn't even do it if you paid for a deluxe resort stay at WDW, park tickets for a week, and meal plan. Now maybe if you threw some cash in for booze... lol

I'll dress like an elephant if you give me deluxe resort stay at WDW, park tickets for a week, and meal plan. Just saying...if the offer is ever out there.

Oh, I agree - I also like helping out, but I also feel like I figured this stuff out for myself in 2010 and now, like you said, others expect people to be their Google. Maybe that's just my personality...

It's more with the same questions over and over, like you said (and I'm with you on PhotoPass being a big one!). If I were a mod here, I would rule with an iron first. There would be, like, 5 threads because I'd just combine everything into the race weekend threads! :rotfl2:
Rest was the best thing for me when my IT Band was mad. I also figured out that I needed to replace the orthodics I was using.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter