• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Many years disney review-a-thon - Update 8/26 Kona Cafe

Kona Café – August 15, 2008

We decided that since DSIL was in town, we needed one “adults only” night out. DD stayed with her grammy and DH, DSIL, and myself made an ADR for Kona at 9:05. DH really wanted to get into ‘Ohana, but there were no ADR’s available. We arrived at the Poly at 8pm with the intention of trying to walk up to ‘Ohana and then cancel the Kona ADR. Even though my coworker had done the same thing one week ago, it was a big no go that night!! They said they could maybe squeeze us in at 10!!!! No way Jose….I had some karaoke to sing at the Pub on 27 that night.

**Side note---if you’re in or around Davenport, go to The Pub on 27, near I-4 on Friday and Saturday nights. They have a hypnotist which is hilarious and also DH’s best friend, and fellow Brit, Glen, hosts the karaoke**

Sorry…bloody advertisements in my food review! Anyways, since ‘Ohana was busting at the gills with people, we stuck to the Kona plan. In the meantime, we grabbed some wine and beer and chilled in the lounge and listened to extremely loud music. Our pager went off at exactly 9:05pm!

First we ordered more wine (this is the part where the waitress was really nice) and our server brought out the bread.

LeCellier13.jpg

DH had never had Hawaiian bread before and next time, they need to just take it away! Seriously, DSIL and I had maybe one bite of the bread (we were saving ourselves for the real food) and DH sat there and ate THE ENTIRE LOAF!!! He’ll pay for that later.

I really wanted to try the sushi since you can order it for an appetizer, but DH and DSIL had eaten sushi for lunch (WHATT????) and wanted something else! ARRGH! So, we went for the potstickers to share:

Pot Stickers - wok-seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger soy sauce $7.49
LeCellier14.jpg

Holy cow these are good! The description doesn’t mention that it comes with a side of seaweed salad. The salad was dressed very well in a light soy and sesame oil and was really cold and crunchy. The pot stickers were crunch on the outside from the wok and the rich duck flavor was cut with the ginger soy sauce. The sauce by itself was amazing. I eventually starting dunking the seaweed salad in the sauce, just so I could finish the sauce. I thing next time I come to Kona, I’m ordering 2 of these appetizers as my meal. They really should make this a meal option! MMMMM…nosh nosh!

I couldn’t decide on what to eat. I asked our server and she said the chicken or the mahi mahi. DH was already getting the famous teriyaki steak and DSIL was going for the chop. I finally decided on the Mahi.
Macadamia Nut and Chive-crusted Mahi-mahi - served with watercress salad with warm shiitake-soy vinaigrette and sticky rice $20.99
LeCellier17.jpg

Now, I know a lot of you love this dish but I was VERY unimpressed. You couldn’t taste any nuts or chives in the breading and it had zero flavor. The fish was dry, I think they left off the vinaigrette and sticky rice has no flavor to begin with. This was hands down one of the most bland and boring dishes I’ve ever ordered. I ate a couple bites and just pushed it to the side. The server came by and asked if I liked it and I told her “no”. She proceeded to get all huffy and snappy and picked up the plate and never came back until she basically threw the bill at us.
This would be where it was very good for me that DH decided to make a pig out of himself with the bread. He ordered the steak:
Teriyaki-style New York Strip - sirloin strip grilled with pineapple teriyaki glaze served with mashed Yukon gold potatoes and stir-fried broccolini $24.99
LeCellier15.jpg

This was very good. Lucky for me, DH could only eat ½ of the steak as the bread had started to expand. I finished off most of his steak. I love the sweet and salty mix of pineapple and teriyaki. It reminds me somewhat of the teriyaki club steak at Logan’s (but double the price).
DSIL had the chop:
Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop served on pan-roasted fingerling potatoes and applewood smoked bacon braised Swiss chard $21.99
LeCellier16.jpg

The chop was very good as well. It really retained a smoky flavor, however I didn’t pick up any of the pomegranate taste. DSIL ate most of this (how, I don’t know considering she weights 100lbs soaking wet) and loved it.
With the exception of the fish and the grumpy server, everything at Kona was good. I have already recommended it to several people and will be making another trip soon for those potstickers!

They did take the fish off the bill...which is when the server got all huffy and nasty. She didn't straighten up her act until DH gave her his CM ID for our discount. Then it was all smiles---they can't tell what you do just by your ID...

Does anyone else notice in my pics how they start out not that blurry and then just get worse---THE WINE MADE ME DO IT! :drinking1 I need to quit being lazy and bring the good camera.

Does anyone else notice in my pics how they start out not that blurry and then just get worse---THE WINE MADE ME DO IT! :drinking1 I need to quit being lazy and bring the good camera.

:rotfl: Just wanted to say hi as I've been lurking on here ever since this thread got restarted. Love all the food reviews especially Kona since we will be eating there soon! I think we've both already decided that we'll have the teriyaki steak. Yum!

~Beka~

"Not a problem...I'm here to serve. Does this somehow count as a charitable contribution I can write off on my taxes??"

It sure does, but don't tell the IRS I am the one who told you :lmao:

Oh...I'm telling them you were my advisor...I'm wondering if I can collect for past years I didn't claim..:lmao:

:rotfl: Just wanted to say hi as I've been lurking on here ever since this thread got restarted. Love all the food reviews especially Kona since we will be eating there soon! I think we've both already decided that we'll have the teriyaki steak. Yum!

~Beka~

Welcome!!! The steak was good === just make sure you get those potstickers to start. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter