• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Many years disney review-a-thon - Update 8/26 Kona Cafe

I think I've found a resident DIS food critic with similar tastes at last!! Thanks for the reviews to date & can't wait for the Jiko one. I have an ADR for there on our Jan09 trip - the flavours on the menu just drew me & my DDs in (DH is happy to go along with whatever we decide) - lots of meal sharing that night I think!

Keep it up (Love the pics BTW).

Oh yes.....It's not on the menu but they have a "Sampler Appetizer Platter" that is AMAZING, I've got pics in my review. I'll post a link for ya. I ordered something I'd normally never order, at the suggestion of our server, the Short Rib....FANTASTIC....DS is still talking about the Filet with Mac & Cheese...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1661247

I've seen this appetizer platter.....mmmmmmmmm....the only thing that I'm concerned about is the sweet potato thing...how was that? I'm sure DH will go for the Filet, I'm looking at the short ribs!!

Hi! I'm new to this thread and glad you decided to revive it. I'm looking forward to your Jiko review (and hope you have a great time and meal!). The one restaurant I'm really looking forward to trying on our next visit (um, not yet sure when that'll be but I'm a total dork I guess because I already started a list) is Narcoossee's. Look forward to your review of that one, when you decide to go that is!

Thanks for the great job with these reviews!

We actually did Narcoossee's right after we got married...and we were not so impressed. My lobster was bland and rubbery and the service was not so hot. However, my DM has different views from another time, so I think we'll have to have a re-do again soon!

I missed the first round, so I'm so glad I've gotten caught up and am waiting for all the fabulous reviews. I'm so jealous that ya'll get to be @ WDW all the time!!

Thanks for reading! We are in WDW way too much...especially since DH is working there now and we live so close...although, it's hotter than Hades lately!

I'm glad you've revived the thread. It was one of the ones that got my hooked on the DIS.;)

WOW!!! Thank you so much for that! I'm happy to get someone hooked on the DIS...it's an amazing wealth of information, even for those of us "in the know"

I think I've found a resident DIS food critic with similar tastes at last!! Thanks for the reviews to date & can't wait for the Jiko one. I have an ADR for there on our Jan09 trip - the flavours on the menu just drew me & my DDs in (DH is happy to go along with whatever we decide) - lots of meal sharing that night I think!

Keep it up (Love the pics BTW).

Yay!!!:cool1: It's hard to find people that have the similar tastes..We are pretty open to most foods. We figure we can span a vast amount of tastes in that we won't snub a McDonald's double cheese, but we can also hang with the likes of Victoria and Albert's. Sometimes, you need grease, sometimes you need sophistication! Plus it doesn't hurt that I live for cooking...tonight, I made a braised boneless leg of lamb that would knock your socks off! :thumbsup2

July 20, 2008 – Studio Catering Company

DD and I decided that we were going to get up really early to make it over to DHS and get on the new Toy Story ride. We managed to get in the park by 9:30 and got a FP for TSM with a return time of 11:30 (;lasdkfjl;sdjl; holy cow! Get there early!), then we stood in line to try it out. Long story short—great ride, except it confirmed my suspicion that I really need to work out more as my arm was tired from pulling the little string after riding it twice. However, I don’t feel too bad as DD and several others said the same thing. By the time we got off the 11:30 ride from our FP, the return time was up to 7pm…like I said GET THERE EARLY! We also managed to hit up RNRC and Star Tours. Before we headed home (it was soooooooo hot), we stopped in at the Studio Catering Company for a quick lunch.

I had read several reviews of the chicken with rice and beans and it sounded promising. I got a glimpse of the BBQ Pulled Pork Sub and immediately ruled that one out. It looked like the BBQ sandwich they used to serve me in elementary school with a light reddish ketchup sauce, even put onto the bread with an ice cream scoop. BLECH! No southerner in their right mind would call that BBQ!

DD went for the standby of Mac ‘n Cheese. I tried to talk her into the PB&J, but she was not yet convinced that they had changed the Mac recipe everywhere in Disney.

MacandCheese.jpg

Lets just say that she is convinced now and told me to remind her to never get the Mac ‘n Cheese at Disney again. This low fat version has the nastiest artificial flavor to it that makes the stuff in the blue box taste homemade. She at the grapes and applesauce and I made her a PB&J when we got home.

I got the Grilled chicken with rice and black beans.

ChickenwithRiceandBeans.jpg

Sigh….what is the matter with Disney and their food lately?? First off, I noticed that the chicken looked a little, shall we say, anemic. It was pasty and the skin was still all rubbery and slimy. Deciding to not even attempt the skin, I pulled it back to have a go at the meat. Underneath the anemic skin was a layer of gray gunk…I tried to get a pic of it.

Closeupchicken.jpg

You know when you boil a chicken and all of that gray foam comes to the top of the pot???---well, there was a layer of that under the chicken! SICK! I don’t know how they can possibly call this chicken grilled! It seems to me, they par boiled the chicken and then toss it on the grill for a few seconds to get the marks and voila! Grilled chicken! The meat had zero flavor and was tough and not to mention the gag factor at having to scrape off that foam.

The rice was undercooked and still crunchy in the middle and in contrast to that the black beans were overcooked. Typically, black beans (or at least those I’ve eaten) still have the form of a black bean, but these were more the consistency of refried beans. However, they were the only really edible thing on the plate.

So, DD and I went home not quite filled up and made our own lunches and just wrote off the entire experience. Now I know why, after an insane amount of visits to DHS, I have never eaten at this CS, and I won’t be returning anytime soon. Stick to the Backlot Express!!

Thanx - will make sure we avoid SCC when we're there. It's not on our plans, but if we're hungry and happen to be out front, I'll make sure we keep walking!

Eww! I've never eaten at SCC and never seen a review that made me want to. We'll stick with Pizza Planet. Not a thrilling menu that's for sure, but edible.:)

Omygosh! Jiko was amazing. I'm going to try and get the pics uploaded tonight and get the review out soon!

Just an FYI though---there is no longer the appetizer for two and they have removed the tamales and the lentil pastilla's from the menu!

Omygosh! Jiko was amazing. I'm going to try and get the pics uploaded tonight and get the review out soon!

Just an FYI though---there is no longer the appetizer for two and they have removed the tamales and the lentil pastilla's from the menu!

Can't wait!!! No more platter or tamales or pastillas????????:scared1:

That's such a bummer about the tamales, they were my favorite thing at Jiko. I guess that means you got the cheese plate. ;)

Can't wait!!! No more platter or tamales or pastillas????????:scared1:

I know! I even took a pic of the menu ===but it didn't come out too well.

That's such a bummer about the tamales, they were my favorite thing at Jiko. I guess that means you got the cheese plate. ;)

You guessed it! I'm excited to review it as I've never found one of the Jiko cheese plate.

I just got all my pics uploaded tonight, so the review will be out tomorrow. I had a lot to weed through as I had an unexpected dinner at Tony's Town Square on Sunday night. I'm hoping to get that up tomorrow as well. Cheers!!

Tony’s Town Square
August 3, 2008

I know I’m going out of order here, and you expect this to be Jiko. I don’t have the Jiko dinner menu and cheese menu in front of me, so I don’t want to write it until I have all of my notes together. It will have to wait until tonight. So, for the time being, I’m going to check off Tony’s.

DM, DD7, and me decided to go to the MK on Sunday evening to stroll around and catch a couple rides. When we got in, DM asked where I wanted to eat and I said “Cosmic Ray’s is fine…I’m easy”. Little did I know that DM has, on many occasions, tried to get into Tony’s, and has never succeeded. The board outside of the package pick up stated that there were no ADR’s left for the day. So, I called the dining reservation just to make sure that nobody had cancelled. No such luck. But, DM, who is apparently very determined, decided to check and see if they were taking walk ups. Mind you, this was 6pm on a Sunday night (and Sunday nights are very busy). Amazingly, they were taking walk ups and said they could get us in around 6:15!!!! I was shocked! Here’s the pick I took while waiting to be seated.

TonysEntrance.jpg

Notice how there is nobody there?? Well that changed in less than 10 minutes and the entire lobby was full! There was a line about 15 deep to check in! Yikes! They called our name at exactly 6:15 and took us out to sit on the porch.

Tonysview.jpg

Let me tell you…it was HOT that day, but it was actually not too bad sitting on the porch. Plus, there was a lot of people watching to be had. The first thing I did notice, though, was that they seriously need to replace their tablecloths. They have balls of fabric all over them and either need to be shaved or tossed. Ick.

Our server greeted us quickly and took our drink order. She then came back and gave us some bread to munch on.

TonysBread.jpg

The bread was good. DD is crazy about bread and ate several pieces. The oil looked like it really wanted to be infused with some kind of flavor, but it didn’t have much at all. DM and I added S&P to the oil to at least give it some kind of kick. We like our flavors bold!

Here is a menu shot, as I don’t notice the antipasta for 2 on the allears menu.

TonysMenu2.jpg

DD ordered the kids spaghetti, with alfredo instead of red sauce. Shocking, I know! We picked her kids appy of salad, as she’s not into either offering of salad or carrot sticks. It also came with a kids sundae.

TonysRheannon.jpg

“Where’s the white sauce?” asks DD.

DM and I ordered the Antipasta for 2 and the calamari to split as our meal. About 10 minutes after we ordered, our food arrived. I was surprised at how quickly it all came out.

TonysRheannonFood.jpg

Kids pasta. DM and I ate the meatball (could she be any more picky??) and it was very good. DD loved the pasta, but I tasted the alfredo and it really had no taste. But hey…that’s why DD likes it. As long as she’s happy, I’m good to go!

TonysCalamari.jpg

Calamari - tossed with olive relish and drizzled with caper aioli

The calamari was really good. I tend to like calamari batter to be very light, almost tempura style and this was perfect. It also wasn’t bogged down in grease. The olive relish was almost more of a tapenade, but it cut what grease there was from the calamari with its tartness.

TonysAntipasta.jpg

Flavors of Italy- Antipasta – A selection of Italian favorites featuring olives, sliced deli meats, roasted garlic, and artichokes.

Ok, we’re going to start with the cheese to the right. Standard bleu. It had a nice flavor, but was not very overpowering. I would attribute that to the fact that it was served straight out of the refrigerator cold, instead of room temperature. I let it sit for a while to warm up and then it’s flavor got stronger, which I love. Did I mention I love cheese??

Going clockwise, next is green and black olives. You know what they taste like…Next was Prosciutto drizzled with olive oil and Capicola drizzled with olive oil. Both were very good, salty and earthy. I love taking some of the spreadable bleu cheese and slathering it on a slice of the bread topped with the meats! MMMMMM! Following that is picked artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes. Good acid to contrast the heavy cheese and meats. There were also two small sticks of bread, which I believe were sundried tomato. They were very good with the cup of sundried tomato dip that is sitting next to them. The roasted garlic bulb is really the only thing that wasn’t very good. As you probably know, I’m psycho crazy about garlic, but this bulb had obviously been sitting in the oven since before the lunch shift and had cooked to the point of where it was no longer spreadable, but carmelized hard---and not in a good way. Finally, there is a cup of pesto spread which seemed to have more parsley in it than basil, so it was a very mild grassy flavor. Not my favorite, but not horrible.

Tonysaftermath.jpg

The aftermath---we were stuffed and I thought we’d be ready to get on our way, but no! DM wants cheesecake. If you’ve read this thread for 5 minutes, you would know I don’t do desserts, so when DM is around, this is when you will get them. DD got the kids sundae which came with her meal.

Tonyskidssundae.jpg

Typical—ice cream, sprinkles…she likes it. Boring!

DM gets the amaretto cheesecake

Tonyscheesecake.jpg

What the heck is up with the dome o’ cheesecake?? It had a chocolate cookie crust, a very thin layer of standard cheesecake, and then topped with the amaretto. This is not your standard NY cheesecake. It’s more like a whipped cheescakey mousse of some sort. DM was not impressed, and there are not many desserts she’s met that she did not like. I didn’t think it was too bad and actually ate more than her (which means it’s probably not good at all). Plus for $5.49 I was expecting a little bit more. Stick to Mickey’s premium bars!

Overall, for apps, atmosphere, and service, I was impressed with Tony’s. The food was ok, not something really to jump up and down about (that would be Jiko). For the first time EVER in the history of me dining at Disney, I found a place where the service was actually exceedingly better than the food. I mean, wow! The servers were fabulous. I noticed another table got the chicken parm and holy bejebus---make sure you share that one with your sig other because there is no way I could, or DH could choke down that whole meal. DM and I were also noting that if you were doing a full meal here, you could drop some serious cash! Those entrees are not cheap. Bottom line, if you’re paying OOP, go for apps and desserts or split an entrée. If you’re on the DDP –go for it! But, be prepared to waddle out.

Thanks for the review! We have been wanting to try Tony's but keep putting it off based on bad reviews. I think we will have to try it next time after all!

Seems like the reviews of Tony's I've been reading lately have been getting better.:thumbsup2 We never seem to get there because the kids love the character dining in MK and the MK resorts but it seems like a good alternative to character dining.:goodvibes

Jiko August 1, 2008

Finally!!! Our 2nd Anniversary dining at Jiko. I called and made us an ADR for 7:30 about a month before. I was really glad I did because when we got there, Jiko and Boma were BUSY! I had never been to AKL before and was surprised at how much is looks like Ft. Wilderness Lodge. We were, however, really impressed with the bar that overlooks Boma and we will be visiting there again! I was starving and the smells of Boma had me salivating. We checked in at 7:25 and were seated within 5 minutes. I asked if we could be at the cooking place and they said “no problem”. Here was our view from where we sat.

JikoView.jpg

The manager (!!) brought us orange blossom infused warm towels to wipe our hands off with.

Now, as you probably know, I am a lover of all things wine as well. This is where I let myself down. I ordered a fabulous cabernet and didn’t get the name of it. But, I’m going to blame any bad pictures on the wine! Hehehe! After we got our drinks, our server brought us the bread basket.

JikoBread.jpg

The bread was soft and warm and cinnamon scented. The dip had a very mild curry flavor, which DH wished was stronger. Of course, being British, he always wishes any curry he gets is stronger, being used to the burn your mouth of British curries. I tried not to eat too much of it, as I know that my stomach holds a little, at best.

I had been mulling over whether to order the appetizer for two or the cheese plate for my appetizer. When I scanned over the menu, I noticed that there were no tamales or pastilles listed. Our server explained that they are no longer on the menu and that they do not server the appy for 2 anymore!!! Well….I guess that made my mind up pretty quickly and we ordered the Artisan Cheese Selection with spiced fruit jam and crostini.

I was a little reserved in ordering the cheese because I have never had Sheep’s milk cheese before. My theory was, I’ve had goat cheese several times and if it’s pretty pungent at TGI McFunster’s , then really good goat cheese should be very pungent---right? WRONG!

JikoCheesePlate1.jpg

I will agree with Mr. Disney in that Jiko is the only restaurant in Disney where they have served the cheese properly at room temperature. This was a pleasant surprise. Starting with the cheese to the right.

1. Bellwether Farm sheep cheese is made in the style of a Tuscan pecorino. It’s smooth, creamy, mild with a sour finish.

**This was smooth to start with a slightly pungent, sour finish that went really well on the Crostini. It was smooth and could be spread.

2. Brebicent, France, Ewee’s milk smooth and creamy cheese. Combines strength and mildness in a supple paste that melts in your mouth.

**This was DH’s favorite cheese on the plate. It was not really spreadable, but was very mild and had a great texture. It could have been paired with the jam, but I think the jam would have over powered it’s flavor.

3. Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese. Soft, surface ripened goat cheese, with a creamy texture and a subtle tangy flavor. Handcrafted and features a ribbon of edible vegetable ash along it’s center.

**This was my favorite cheese. It was very much like a blue cheese and paired very well with the spiced jam as it’s bold flavor could stand up to it. I could have eaten an entire plate of this!

4. Corsu Vecchiu. Made from raw sheep’s milk. Semi firm in texture with a tangy flavor that is sweet, nutty, and somewhat salty.

**This was DH’s 2nd choice. It was almost like a spiked up brie. It had the same texture as a melty gooey brie and definitely had a salty finish. Very approachable.

5. Monte Enebro. Goat cheese made from pasteurized milk, it is then inoculated on the exterior with the same mold made to use Roquefort, giving it a “blue” flavor.

**This was my 2nd favorite cheese. It had the texture of a Parm-Reggiano and even at room temperature, chunked off. It was a little stronger than a parm, but I didn’t think it was nearly as full flavored as a bleu.

I would give you the aftermath picture of this, but DH and I demolished the plate. I’m wondering if I can just order this at the bar in AKL and chill out with some wine? I am so glad that they didn’t have the appy for 2, because this cheese plate is not to be missed.

Moving onto the entrée. I had assumed that DH would go for the filet, but he lamb won!

JikoLamb.jpg

Wood-fired Lamb Loin with Berbere spiced lentils, baby carrots, and lemon infused demi glace.

The lamb came out more medium rare than medium, which he ordered. But once he took a bite, there were no complaints. I’ve never had loin of lamb, but I will be searching for it again. It was not nearly as “gamey” as leg of lamb and melted in your mouth. The richness of the lamb was complimented very well by the lemon demi glace and provided some much needed acid to the dish. Lets just say---DH didn’t leave a bite on his plate!

I already knew what I was going to get---the Short Ribs!!

JikoShortRib.jpg

Kenyan Coffee Barbecue Short Ribs with Crushed potatoes and onion-garlic sauce.

OMG I’VE HIT THE LOTTERY! I love short ribs, and have been known on several occasions to braise some of my own, but mine have never been anywhere near this good. The meat was falling off the bone and had been braised long enough that you could easily separate what little fat there was from the rib. I don’t think I’ve ever found short ribs with as much meat on them as this one had. The glaze was sweet and at the same time savory. I was a little worried about the sweet factor, but it was not overpowering, even for me!

The potatoes were a mix of white and sweet and were soaking up the excess juice from the ribs along with the very mild onion-garlic sauce. I tried as hard as I could and could only make it through about half of the dish. I sat there and kept picking at it, even though I thought I might explode, because it tasted so good! Finally, I had to make the server just take it away.

This is my new favorite restaurant! Before we walked out, DH was telling me to call my parents and make them make an ADR for DM’s bday this weekend and cancel Le Cellier! LOL! I can’t say enough about the food at Jiko, only that they will be seeing a lot of us in the future and it’s going to be hard to go back to Narcoosee’s and Artist Point and not be disappointed.

Up next---Le Cellier for DM’s birthday on Saturday!

Mmmmmm Mmmmmm. So glad you loved Jiko, it's probably the restaurant I'm most looking forward to on our trip, especially as far as the food goes. Good to know the ribs are a decent portion too (my DD10 & DD11 have already decided they want to share that, and have a dessert each). I've been eyeing off the lamb, so good to know that's good, and as for that YUMMY cheese platter :love: - do you think they'd be OK with DH ordering it after the Entree for his 'dessert'? (He's not a real sweet tooth). Makes me think we really should get the DDE card ;cause I know I'm gonna want some nice South African Wine with our meal there!

Thanks heaps for your review(s) - they are so helpful for those of us in the planning stages.

Looking forward to the next one - will be interested to see how Le Cellier rates after your Jiko Experience.

OMG- HOW ON EARTH did I miss this thread for so long?!?

So glad I found it. Yay! Looking forward to more! :)

I don't know!!! But I'm glad you're here now! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the review! We have been wanting to try Tony's but keep putting it off based on bad reviews. I think we will have to try it next time after all!

I really was expecting it to be bad as well. I wouldn't go shouting off a mountain about how good it was, but to be honest---it was better than my last time at Narcoosee's. What each person percieves as good is so vastly different that I think people should try things if it sounds like what they might like no matter what anyone else says.....with the exception of the chicken at the catering company. :scared:

Seems like the reviews of Tony's I've been reading lately have been getting better.:thumbsup2 We never seem to get there because the kids love the character dining in MK and the MK resorts but it seems like a good alternative to character dining.:goodvibes

I think I want to try it again sometime and get an entree as well...but they are huge! DD had a good time there, even with the absence of characters.

Just start reading your thread. Totally awesome!!

Thank you!!!! Glad you found it!

Mmmmmm Mmmmmm. So glad you loved Jiko, it's probably the restaurant I'm most looking forward to on our trip, especially as far as the food goes. Good to know the ribs are a decent portion too (my DD10 & DD11 have already decided they want to share that, and have a dessert each). I've been eyeing off the lamb, so good to know that's good, and as for that YUMMY cheese platter :love: - do you think they'd be OK with DH ordering it after the Entree for his 'dessert'? (He's not a real sweet tooth). Makes me think we really should get the DDE card ;cause I know I'm gonna want some nice South African Wine with our meal there!

Thanks heaps for your review(s) - they are so helpful for those of us in the planning stages.

Looking forward to the next one - will be interested to see how Le Cellier rates after your Jiko Experience.

Thanks so much:goodvibes . I'm sure they can get him the cheese plate as dessert. A while back, I know it was even suggested as a dessert on the menu. The DDE card is really worth the money if you're planning on a few adult beverages...I would highly recommend it! :thumbsup2

WOW - your experience there was almost identical to ours -

LOVED the bar :thumbsup2
The Cooking Place seats :thumbsup2
The OMG to die for Short Rib :thumbsup2

I'm also afraid that JIKO has spoiled me.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter