• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Many years disney review-a-thon - Update 8/26 Kona Cafe

I had never been to AKL before and was surprised at how much is looks like Ft. Wilderness Lodge.

They were both designed by the same architect. Your review of Jiko was great! That lamb looked so good. I am going to have to add Jiko to the list of places to try on our next trip. Can't wait for the next review!! :)

Loved the Jiko review!!!

The Cooking Place seating... is it bar type seating or still table, does it only seat one party or several, and how many can it occupy?

Overall how did you like your experience sitting in that location, would you reccomend this to others?

Loved the Jiko review!!!

The Cooking Place seating... is it bar type seating or still table, does it only seat one party or several, and how many can it occupy?

Overall how did you like your experience sitting in that location, would you reccomend this to others?

The cooking place is like sitting at a bar and instead of a bartender behind it, it's the cooks making appetizers, flatbreads, etc. I loved sitting there b/c then I got to see all different presentations of the entrees and appys I didn't order go out. Let me tell you....the Fire-roasted mussels with Lamb Merguez must be the most popular appy.

Even though it's a "bar", it's very deep and you have plenty of room. I believe there are 8 barstools at the cooking place available. Try it for sure!

Thanks for the reviews!!!
All the food looks delicious:love:
We are going September 16-30th and are doing the Deluxe Dining. I can not wait to eat at some of these places!:yay:
Thanks again!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the Jiko review! I'm going in November and can't decide between the Short Ribs or the Filet....:confused3

Thanks for the Jiko review! I'm going in November and can't decide between the Short Ribs or the Filet....:confused3

While the filet is excellent, the short rib is an experience, unbelievably tender and the potatoes underneath soaking up the juices....YUMMO!:thumbsup2

Coming up soon...Le Cellier -- I'm going to get the pics downloaded tonight, so I hope to get the review up tomorrow! :thumbsup2

Le Cellier – August 9, 2008

Sorry for the delay --- I’ve been super busy with company in town from England and have been a total slacker! The good news is, that along with Le Cellier, I also have brief reviews of Cosmic Rays, Boulangerie Patisserie, and Kona Café! So, on with Le Cellier!

So, lets get down to it. I’m not going to get into any deep background on Le Cellier considering many of you have probably eaten there and it’s one of the most popular places in the world.

We had an ADR for 1:05pm and arrived early at 12:30 due to a torrential downpour. It was better to just hang out in the lobby than stand in the World Showcase and get soaked. Unlike my nasty hostess at Sci Fi, Le Cellier let us check in early! Everyone is so friendly at Le Cellier---do they give Canadians better drugs?? One host seemed to think it was his duty to ask everyone when they walked back from the dining area if they liked the food. Before we got seated, I headed back to get some paper towels and dry off from the downpour. When I came back to the front to wait, he even asked me “how was it?”, to which I responded “The bathroom? It was fabulous”.

Anyway---got off track---we got seated at around 12:45 and squeezed 4 adults and one kid into a booth. Good thing we had just gotten to epcot and the deodorant was still working! The server, who seemed a little nervous and unsure about himself, brought us some of the pretzel bread.

LeCellier.jpg

DM scoffed the pretzel sticks and DD7 was all over the sourdough. I told them to chill out with the bread and at least wait for the soup to dunk it in….but it was very hard for them. So, we ordered more bread!

DD7 and DD started of with the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. Well, actually, my dad started off with the soup, DD7 got it by default because she didn’t like any of the kids appetizers. So, DM and I used her soup as a dipping sauce for out bread! Last time I ate at Le Cellier, I wasn’t too impressed with the cheese soup. This time---WOW! Now I get what you’re all talking about….I must have had it before on a bad day. I think I could just make a meal out of the soup and bread….but you’d probably have to roll me out of Epcot to my car!

LeCellier3.jpg

I ordered the Prince Edward Island Mussels. According to Allears here is the description:

Prince Edward Island Mussels - served chowder style with applewood smoked bacon and potatatos

………um……I’ve had this 2 times before and I love love love it as it reminds me a lot of clam chowder. I noticed when I ordered it, it said something about COCONUT MILK! Alert the media---the clams are not the same!!

LeCellier2.jpg

I’m not by any means saying they were not good….they just were different. They had a sweeter flavor with the coconut milk. The mussels were also spicy from the addition of a large amount of crushed red pepper. It seems also as if they removed most of the potato from the “chowder”. I really wish I had paid more attention to the description now….I’ll have to head over this weekend and copy it down.

DM and DH got the filet:

Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - with wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce

LeCellier4.jpg

Excellent as usual. The filet was cooked perfectly and the risotto was creamy and not mushy. The only thing I did notice was an absence of white truffle flavor. Either way, they both enjoyed it and DM commented on how it was the perfect portion size and not too big for lunch.

DD got a sandwich:

Shaved Prime Rib Sandwich - on a toasted ciabatta with Cheddar Cheese and horseradish cream sauce

LeCellier6.jpg

He was very surprised at how tender the meat was and lets just say the plate was licked clean by the time he was done!

DD7 got the hot dog! Shocking! It’s….a hot dog. She’s so adventurous.

LeCellier5.jpg

I got a salad:

Grilled Steak Salad - with watercress, onions, fennel, roasted tomatoes and goat cheese with a white balsamic vinaigrette

I expected this to be like a TGIMcFunsters salad in the gigantic bowl of greens with some slabs of meat thrown on top, but amazingly I got this lovely plate:

LeCellier7.jpg

The salad was very good! The combination of the goat cheese, onions, and fennel was amazing. I wished though they would have chopped up the watercress a little more though at times I felt like a cow grazing in the pasture trying to get it all in my mouth. My only disappointment was the steak itself. It seems that while they use the best filets for the filet dishes, they use the rejects for the salad. I had a very hard time cutting through my chunk ‘o meat even with those massive, I could be in a slasher film, knives. Forget trying to chew it. It’s too bad really because the rest of the dish was so good.

You know I’ll be coming back to Le Cellier---probably not for a while though as we’ve eaten here about 3-4 times in the past year and I’m up for some new stuff. It is consistently good (with the exception of my chunk ‘o meat) for a steakhouse. I think next time though, I’m just going to gorge myself of appetizers of mussels, duck, and sausage…you can get a steak anywhere……

it has been a million years since I have been to Disney (at least 12). Quick question: we have an ADR at le cellier for 7pm. How long will it take us from the entrance of the parkto get there? I want to have time to go and freshen up but I was not sure how much time you need to get from point a to b. Dumb question?

it has been a million years since I have been to Disney (at least 12). Quick question: we have an ADR at le cellier for 7pm. How long will it take us from the entrance of the parkto get there? I want to have time to go and freshen up but I was not sure how much time you need to get from point a to b. Dumb question?

Well I guess it all depends on how fast you walk. It usually only takes us about 10 minutes from once we get in, but we're power walking Disney commando people and plus this last time we had the incentive of getting there fast from the rain. :lmao:

I believe the mussels a LeCellier were changed a few months back. I, too, LOVED the bacon & potato chowder ones so much and remember being sad reading the change.:sad2:

Thank you so much for making the sacrifice and taking up this community service project :lmao:

I am loving your restaurant reviews :goodvibes

Cosmic Rays – August 14, 2008

DH’s sister DSIL is in town for 10 days from the UK. We decided to head over to the MK after I got off work and hit up a couple rides and grab some dinner. We relied on old faithful, Cosmic Rays.

LeCellier8.jpg

DH got the bacon double cheeseburger

LeCellier9.jpg

He is a lover of all things “burger”. He used to be obsessed with the Pecos Bill’s burgers, but had to give those up due to the changed kids menu. He has since realized that the burgers at Cosmic Rays are exactly the same and he loves the toppings bar. We eat here so much we have the toppings bar down to a science. DD7 runs and grabs napkins, straws, and forks, DH goes for mushrooms and onions in the paper cups, and I get the ketchup and mayo. It’s become such habit that we don’t even discuss these things anymore, just go and do, and meet up at “the table”. Yes…we sit in the same area every time. Pathetic, really.

DSIL and I got the ¼ pound cheeseburger and DD7 got….wait…you guess…..

RIGHT! The chicken nuggets with fries, grapes, and apple juice. I don’t even know why I include her stuff anymore…LOL!

LeCellier10.jpg

Needless to say, the burgers and fries were good. This food is good, not great. It’s consistent, like McDonald’s. If DH were writing this he would say great---he thinks the Mcdonald’s double cheeseburger is great and that Five Guys is a work of art. Seriously, the man needs an “eating burgers” blog!

The one thing that bothers me, with Cosmic Rays, are the kid’s chicken nuggets. Since they changed all the strips to nuggets, why the need for two different kinds of nuggets? The kids nuggets are more along the lines of the processed, not all white meat nuggets, and the adults 6 or 8 piece get the all white meat. Are the kids not good enough for all white meat? Are they just using up what is left of the old processed nuggets and then replacing them with the new “adult” nuggets? Anyone else notice this?

I believe the mussels a LeCellier were changed a few months back. I, too, LOVED the bacon & potato chowder ones so much and remember being sad reading the change.:sad2:

A few months ago??? How the heck have I not heard about this and where can I get a description of what I ate? It's not updated on allears. I wonder why they changed it? It was good, but not nearly as good as the chowder mussels!

Your pics looks so good!:worship:

Thanks! I wish they were clearer. It seems with the camera phone dark places are blurry. I really *should* take my camera (all 10 megapixels of it), but I'm just too lazy to have to worry about my palm and camera.

Thank you so much for making the sacrifice and taking up this community service project :lmao:

:lmao: :thumbsup2 Not a problem...I'm here to serve. Does this somehow count as a charitable contribution I can write off on my taxes??;)

I am loving your restaurant reviews :goodvibes

Thank you!!!

Great review as always.:)

:thumbsup2 I'm not sure what TS I should do next. We did reserve Le Chefs for the candlelight processional this weekend and I'll be doing the Food and Wine Festival for my bday in October (multiple times). I need something for in between.

Is it just me or does the new description

Sauteed Prince Edward Island Mussels - with a broth of coconut milk, celery, shallots, ginger, garlic and rice wine $11.99

sound like it belongs on the Yak and Yeti menu....perhaps in Japan even? :confused3

Is it just me or does the new description

Sauteed Prince Edward Island Mussels - with a broth of coconut milk, celery, shallots, ginger, garlic and rice wine $11.99

sound like it belongs on the Yak and Yeti menu....perhaps in Japan even? :confused3

It's not just you....:sad2:

"Not a problem...I'm here to serve. Does this somehow count as a charitable contribution I can write off on my taxes??"

It sure does, but don't tell the IRS I am the one who told you :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter