• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway, a 2017 Marathon Weekend TR

Great shots of your daughter with Anna and Elsa! She looks like she really enjoyed meeting them.

I am glad you got to go on Frozen after all. My opinion is its a good ride just not in the right place. That's a discussion for another time though.

Awesome Illuminations shots! It is my favorite show to shoot as well but I didn't get to this time. I only got some iPhone photos.

A fully realized Frozen area would be cool (no pun intended) and yes, the ride is kind of an odd fit for Epcot. That said, I can see why they did that and I'm glad that park has another marqee ride to draw crowds away from some of the other headliners there.

And IllumiNations was incredible. I'm looking forward to shooting from some other locations (Japan, front of the house) in the future.

Illuminations - next time try getting a dinner ADR for Rose & Crown for around 7:15 or later. Bring some woollies since you might end up sitting outside (under a heat lamp, but still) - you'll get your own private viewing over dessert and (Irish) coffee at the end of dinner. And they might even have your delightful DD start the show...

Sounds like a great idea and we need to try Rose & Crown sometime. Thanks for the tip!

First of all a huge congrats on running your first marathon...you couldn't have picked a better race. Again, amazing pictures. You have a great eye and a real talent. 'Ohana is my family's favourite Disney meal, we ate there for our celebration dinner as well and I agree that the chicken was better than I remembered...was so good this trip! Great report, well done.

Great pictures of Illuminations. In all my trips I've also never seen it. Like you I was determined to see it this year, but fatigue and that cold wind did me in. Maybe next year!

Third time was the charm for IllumiNations. I'm really glad I finally saw it.

First of all a huge congrats on running your first marathon...you couldn't have picked a better race. Again, amazing pictures. You have a great eye and a real talent. 'Ohana is my family's favourite Disney meal, we ate there for our celebration dinner as well and I agree that the chicken was better than I remembered...was so good this trip! Great report, well done.

Thanks for the feedback! It was a great weekend on a lot of fronts.

We love Ohana and there was something going on with that chicken. I'm not typically a big chicken guy, but that was so good I'm going to look for the recipe and try it at home.

Totally agree with your thoughts on the Frozen ride and Soarin' - both very well done. I was so bummed when I heard they were changing the Soarin' video but I LOVE the new one!

Love your IllumiNations shots! I'm impressed you made it that late, I was in bed by 8/8:30 that day! :rotfl2: Bourbon lemonade sounds pretty tasty too!!

Totally agree with your thoughts on the Frozen ride and Soarin' - both very well done. I was so bummed when I heard they were changing the Soarin' video but I LOVE the new one!

Love your IllumiNations shots! I'm impressed you made it that late, I was in bed by 8/8:30 that day! :rotfl2: Bourbon lemonade sounds pretty tasty too!!

The lemonade was tasty, but not very strong. Oh well.

I'm really glad I stayed out at Epcot, even though I was BEAT.

FINAL DAY - MAGIC KINGDOM

Between knee pain and DW snoring, I didn't get much sleep Sunday night/Monday morning. Nonetheless, I got out of bed easily that morning (I'm one of those obnoxious morning people). For our final day, we were heading to Magic Kingdom and I wanted to be there for what (I thought) was going to be the final day of the old opening ceremony.

Everyone got up and out the door and we made it to the park with no problem. A little before 9, I noticed people - and not just those with breakfast reservations - were getting let back early. I decided to sacrifice seeing the final train show to get to Enchanted Tales with Belle only to find that today was the first day of the NEW opening ceremony. So, we headed toward The Hub.

But first, a family photo!

We had a pretty good view of the new rope drop ceremony. It was fine. Mickey does a little welcome and then I think the Blue Fairy tossed around some fairy dust. I don't remember much, honestly.

From there, we headed back to New Fantasyland for Enchanted Tales with Belle, where we had our first FP+. DD was obviously pretty shy, so she didn't get picked to play any of the parts, which was fine. She really enjoyed the show, though, and even went up to meet Belle (solo!). We were a little disappointed when the CM said Belle wasn't doing autographs, though.

DD got lots of compliments on her Elsa dress all day.

After Enchanted Tales, we headed over to Crystal Palace for breakfast. I loaded up on biscuits, gravy, sausage and bacon (I'm a bit of a carnivore) while DD and DW sampled lots of other food. While we ate, we got visits from Tigger and Pooh. DD continued her trend of being a little shy, but they both signed her "princess book," so she was very pleased. I think these were also the first (and only) non "face" characters she met during the trip and I was surprised at how well she did. She was afraid of Santa Claus and our college mascot back home!

After breakfast, we walked over to Journey Under the Sea with the Little Mermaid. DD really enjoyed that - Ariel is one of her favorite princesses - but the ride got stuck at one point, right when we were under Flotsam and Jetsam (the creepy eels). She was NOT a fan of that, but just covered her eyes. No tears.

We then immediately got in line for the Ariel meet-and-greet and DD scored another autograph.

After Ariel, we used our FP+ for Peter Pan's Flight. I like this ride, but I've never been able to figure out why it always has such a long wait.

Since DW has made it a tradition to get an ornament at Disney during each of our trips, we headed over to the holiday shop in Liberty Square. While she shopped, I caught a little bit of the new Muppets show above the Hall of Presidents. It was pretty good, but I'm also partial to the Muppets (wacka wacka!)

And, I snapped a photo of this cutie while DW was checking out.

At this point, DD was getting a little tired and ready to back to the hotel. DW wanted to grab a little snack so she wouldn't have to eat lunch at Pop, so we went over to Pecos Bill's. DD and DW split some nachos, I just had a water.

After lunch, we did a little shopping in the Emporium on Main Street, USA and picked up some gifts for our daughters back home and DW's mom, whose birthday was coming up. DD and DW then headed back to the hotel, but I opted to stay at the parks.

Rather than try to do as much as possible while they were gone, I took a spin on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad before having lunch around 2 - a mac and cheese/bacon hotdog at Casey's corner. I then watched parts of the afternoon parade before heading over to Splash Mountain for one last trip on my favorite ride.

By the time I was done with Splash, it had been a few hours since DW and DD had gone back for a nap and they were now on their way back to MK. I walked over to Town Square Theater to wait for them, though they ended up taking another half an hour or so to get to the park.

When DW and DD arrived, we went to see the final character on DD's bucket list: Tinker Bell. The wait was relatively short and DD was really excited to meet Tink and get her autograph.

From Tink we headed up to fly with Dumbo. DD got excited as she was running up to the ride, fell and hit her chin and was in tears, but recovered quickly. We all rode together, which was nice.

At this point, we were kind of flying by the seat of our pants (no pun intended, Dumbo). DW and I still had FPs for Splash and I wasn't sure how much longer DD was going to last. It had been a long weekend, but she had been a tsrooper. DW had also been great about taking DD back to the hotel for naps/bed and I wanted to make sure she had as much fun as possible, too.

The wait for Tommorowland Speedway was too long, but I saw we could basically walk onto the Peoplemover, which we'd never done before. We got on the Peoplemover quickly, but then had to wait for maintenance to clean barf out of one of the cars. Gross. Who barfs on the Peoplemover??

Anyway, it was a really nice ride. The sun was setting, so the castle and Tomorrowland looked really great. I wish I had a photo that did it justice.

After the Peoplemover, we decided DW would go use one Splash FP, I'd cancel mine and take DD to County Bears Jamboree, then just start trying to FP whatever we could until DD hit her limit. The plan went south almost immediately when we found County Bears closed at 6 (it was probably 6:10 at this point). So, DD and I got in line for the Magic Carpets. There was a bit of a wait, but we got off the ride just as DW was getting out of Splash, so it worked out well and DD enjoyed the ride.

After Magic Carpets, the only FPs I could snag were for Winnie the Pooh around 8. I planned on DD/DW riding Pooh while I shot Wishes, but I didn't exactly share this plan with DW nor was I sure how she'd feel about me bailing on them...

Anyway, we headed over to Cosmic Ray's around 7 for dinner. I ate pretty quickly, keeping an eye on the clock. I knew getting a spot in front of the castle wasn't going to happen nor was catching the 7:45 (I think) show of Once Upon a Time. BUT...I wanted to try shooting Wishes from behind the castle once and I figured it wouldn't be too busy. I told DW about the Winnie the Pooh FP and we made plans to meet after the fireworks, she was fine with the whole thing.

I got behind the castle around 7:45 and DW texted to tell me DD wanted to watch fireworks with me. I said that sounded great and told them where to find me, which was a piece of cake since it was really quiet behind the castle.

As we were waiting for Wishes to start, Once Upon a Time ended with some really awesome pyrotechnics around the castle. I tried to shoot them, but realized I still had my lens cap on. Bummer, but something to try for next time!

Anyway, Wishes started and it was a really fun and unique experience to view them from behind the castle since you are essentially surrounded by the show. DD watched from her stroller and only once or twice pulled over the canopy from the stroller to shield herself from the lights and sounds.

Yet again, I came away with a few shots I was pretty happy with, though I was happier with my Wishes photos from Friday night and much happier with my IllumiNations photos. That said, shooting from behind the castle is MUCH less of a hassle due to the smaller crowds.

We slowly made our way out of the park after the fireworks and DD had zero problems, despite being up past her bedtime. In fact, during the bus ride back to Pop, she played "hide and seek" with a young woman. It was really, really funny to watch.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better final few hours at the parks for a couple of years. It was really nice to have some quality time with DD and DW.

Next...EPILOGUE

Great day at MK!! Your little girl is just a doll. I love the shot of her in your ball cap. Beautiful fireworks shots. We've watched Wishes from behind the castle as well and while I like it in front better, it's still beautiful and fun to see it from a different perspective.

I just found your report. Congrats on running a marathon, and nice pictures.

The Bix? I ran it 3 times in the early 90's.

Yes! My family has been running it for years. I felt like if I didn't run it, I'd get disowned.

Thanks for reading!

I'm really glad I did. Thanks to Tom Bricker and the Disney Tourist Blog for the inspiration.

Great trip report! As I was reading along I thought I would recommend the Disney Tourist Blog to you. Based on your interests and incredible pictures I thought it might interest you. Then I saw your reference to the blog. Should have guessed you would know of it already. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Great trip report! As I was reading along I thought I would recommend the Disney Tourist Blog to you. Based on your interests and incredible pictures I thought it might interest you. Then I saw your reference to the blog. Should have guessed you would know of it already. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Thanks for reading!

I'm a total disciple of the Disney Tourist Blog. It's such a great resource and Tom's photos are amazing.

You can absolutely do it!

In addition to a great support system, I give a lot of credit to a book I read, The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. It was written by some University of Northern Iowa professors who run a marathon class. Obviously, there's a physical portion to it and the book includes a 16-week training plan designed to help you simply FINISH a marathon. No time goals. But they also talk about the psychological aspects of training and running a marathon, which I found to be extremely helpful.

I highly recommend checking out the book.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to check that out.

EPILOGUE

Our trip back home was ... eventful.

The process of getting our boarding passes and bags checked at Pop made me question whether our bags would arrive back in Iowa. The flight to Chicago, however, had me questioning whether WE would make it back in one piece. There was a lot of turbulence on our flight and the pilot warned us the descent would be "memorable." It was extremely bumpy, shaky and jarring for about 10 minutes until we touched down. My wife was in tears by the end. It was one of those flights where the hold cabin applauded when we touched down.

Due to the weather, our 2.5 hour layover at O'Hare turned into a 5.5 layover. We didn't get back home until almost 10 p.m. (we left Pop at 8:30 a.m.), which meant we didn't get to see our older daughters until the next day. Anyway, it was a travel day my wife and I won't soon forget.

Two weeks after the marathon, I'm happy to say I met all of the goals I laid out in my original post:

- Successfully introduce my daughter to Walt Disney World with minimal meltdowns.

DD was an absolute trooper then entire trip. We had a little bit of clinginess while waiting for rides, but there were zero meltdowns and zero tears. I loved spending some time in MK with her just the two of us and our final evening at MK was amazing, too.

- Get some photos of Wishes from a couple new locations (I'm an amateur photographer).

Two new locations. Great success!

- Finally see IllumiNations (we were too tired our last two trips).

I'm my biggest critic when it comes to photography (or just about anything, for that matter), but I am so thrilled with how my IllumiNations experience went. Today I actually printed off one of the shots to replace some framed photos on our mantle.

- Stuff my face at Ohana.

Best food at the parks. Hands down.

- Oh, and run 26.2 miles through the parks and Disney property.

Completed my first marathon and met my time-based sub-goals. Back home, though, I've found it a little weird to talk about. Lots of folks have asked about it, but I always feel like I'm bragging, so I talk more about what a great course it was than my personal performance.

My knee is still bothering me and I'm itching to run again. I'm going to try to stay off it a little while longer, but I'm beginning to worry about how long it will take to recover or if rest is going to be enough. I really don't like the idea of having to go get an MRI...

Some folks have asked me if I'll do a second marathon. Going into it, this trip was going to be - at the very least - a dual-bucket list item. A runDisney event and my first marathon. Immediately after the race, I told my wife and the rest of the year I'd probably stick to 5Ks and 10Ks. Now, I'm seriously considering putting my name in the lottery for the Marine Corps Marathon this October in Washington, D.C. It sounds like an amazing race, but our travel budget isn't great and I want the next vacation to be for the whole family, not just for me to run another destination race. There are ample marathons in the Midwest, however ... Chicago, maybe?

Anyway, that's all for me and this trip report. It was my first, so forgive me if it wasn't awesome. Thanks to everyone who followed along and offered feedback! It was a pleasure interacting with you all.

Great TR. Crazy travel day though - I would have cried too! And I totally get the weird feeling with talking about the marathon - I experience that myself. :confused3

Chicago sounds like an awesome marathon!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter