The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway, a 2017 Marathon Weekend TR

congratulations on completing your Marathon! that picture and what you wrote running through Main Street and the castle is very inspiring.

Congratulations Marathoner!!!! You got some sensational photos! I really like the move to Photopass photography, it seems to be capturing some great shots!! Really too bad about your knee, I hope now that you've completed your rave you'll look into "fixing" it more throughly.

I am really happy with the photopass shots. I had originally planned on just buying one, but when I found you could pay $60 for an entire day (which also got us shots from the Anna/Elsa meet and greet), I couldn't pass that up.

And getting my knee right is definitely on the top of my exercise priority list now. I think it's probably just an overuse injury that will fix itself with some R and R (knock on wood). That said, I do need to work on my gait. I am coming down on my heel way too much.

Congrats on the marathon! It was my first full as well! I went in thinking it would be my first and only full I would ever do and I am already planning to do it again next year.

Congratulation on running the marathon. Your picture of the castle with the reflection is absolutely amazing. Is it ok if I share it with my friends on Facebook giving you full credit? I just love it. Thank you for such a wonderful picture.

Congratulations! What an amazing experience! I hope to be able to finish a 5k by the end of the year and maybe try my hand at the DisneyRun events in orlando next year.

Loving the TR so far, your DD is just too cute.

Congrats on the marathon! It was my first full as well! I went in thinking it would be my first and only full I would ever do and I am already planning to do it again next year.

Congrats to you, too! I suspect I have another marathon in my future, but I imagine it will be in another location.

Congratulation on running the marathon. Your picture of the castle with the reflection is absolutely amazing. Is it ok if I share it with my friends on Facebook giving you full credit? I just love it. Thank you for such a wonderful picture.

I'd be honored. Feel free.

Congratulations! What an amazing experience! I hope to be able to finish a 5k by the end of the year and maybe try my hand at the DisneyRun events in orlando next year.

Loving the TR so far, your DD is just too cute.

Congrats on your 5k! I highly recommend the rD experience. Good luck!

Congratulations!! You look so happy in your PhotoPass shots - the guy behind you in the castle shot is hilarious!

Don't worry, I'm sure the real Cap walks sometimes too ;) They just don't put that in the movies!

Your finish line shot is perfect! Might need to frame that one!

Congratulations!! You look so happy in your PhotoPass shots - the guy behind you in the castle shot is hilarious!

Don't worry, I'm sure the real Cap walks sometimes too ;) They just don't put that in the movies!

Your finish line shot is perfect! Might need to frame that one!

Thanks! I'm going back and forth on framing a race photo. It feels ... self-indulgent? Maybe I'll just put it in my office?

Thanks for the feedback, @ZellyB and @Ariel484. We have a little Disney corner in our dining room, but that's all family photos. I think a solo pic would work well in my office.

Day 3, Part 3 - Post-Race

I've always said my vacations are an endurance challenge, but this was the first time a vacation actually *included* an endurance challenge. Nonetheless, if I'm awake and upright, I like to be on the move. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

So, we got back to Pop while DW got DD down for a nap. I took a nice, long, hot shower and got dressed into some warmer clothes as it was still pretty chilly. I then set out for the gift shop in hopes of finding a Red Bull or some kind of energy drink because, darn it, I was finally going to see IllumiNations if it killed me. Unfortunately, there was no energy drink, but I did call my mom and talked to her and my daughters back home about the race.

After DD's nap, we got ready to go to Epcot. I don't remember when exactly when we got there, but I know we didn't have a ton of time before our 4:15 ADR and there was no way we were missing that. We first headed over to Under the Seas with Nemo and friends before our 3:30 FP for the Frozen ride started. But, then after Nemo let out, disaster struck.

I received an email stating the Frozen ride was down for an undetermined amount of time. I actually swore under my breath and quietly showed my phone to DW. She just looked at me. We had been talking up the Frozen ride to DD for a while now and promised she'd get to see Anna and Elsa. Now, we weren't quite sure what to do. The email did say we could try to use the FP again later if the ride started up again, which I assumed it would.

I quickly checked the wait time for the Anna and Elsa meet and greet and found it was only 15 minutes (it would be 25 minutes by the time we got in line). This was a far cry from the 2-3 hour waits during our last trip, which my older daughters fortunately passed on.

The 25-minute wait ended up being closer to 40 minutes. For a good 15 minutes, the line simply did not move. I don't know what the hold up was, but it got to the point where I told my wife I might have to go ahead to Ohana without them to grab our table at Ohana.

Ultimately, that proved to be unnecessary and DD finally got to meet Anna and Elsa. She was thrilled.

(These are photopass photos, not mine)

After the meet and greet we zipped down to the monorail, which had to be fairly comical to watch since I could barely bend my left knee. DW and I would later remark over the next day and a half that you could tell who had run the marathon just by the way they walked. Lots of sore folks out in the parks!

The monorail quickly got us over to the TTC and we walked the rest of the way to Poly. I guess I never realized how big that property is because we had to ask four people where the main lodge was. Fortunately, we made it up to Ohana with time to spare.

While DW and DD waited for our table, I went up to the bar and grabbed my first victory drink. I don't remember what exactly was in it, but it was a bunch of alcohol in a pineapple. I'd just run a race, darn it, it was time to treat myself! I think it was called a lamu lamu. Anyway, it tasted good, but wasn't very strong.

By the time I got my drink, DD and DW had already been seated and were noshing on some bread. I quickly joined in. Our server brought a plate of noodles, mixed vegetables, wings and dumplings. I LOVE the wings and noodles and my wife can't get enough of the dumplings. DD tried a bit of everything and ate really well.

Then a server came by with steak, chicken and shrimp. I'm the only one in the family who eats shrimp and it was delicious. The steak was also really good, but the chicken was AMAZING. They must have done something different with the recipe since our last trip since I barely touched the chicken last time. All in all, I ate a TON.

After dinner, we walked (OK, DW might have had to roll me, like that girl that turned into a berry in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) back to the TTC and took a monorail back to Epcot. Once inside, we met up with DW's cousins from Connecticut and her cousin's husband. They were down for the half and full, so one cousin didn't get to do a race. But, they were happy to meet DD for the first time.

After milling around in one gift shop, we split up so the cousins could go to California Grill for dinner. DW then looked around in MouseGear, but didn't find anything to her liking. I checked my Lines app, found that the Frozen ride was up and running and we headed over there again.

Our FP from earlier in the day were honored, but there was still a good 15 minute wait to get on the ride. That said, the wait was well worth it. The ride was really good and really well done. Everyone enjoyed it (even if my photos didn't turn out all that well).

Of course, Disney had learned the value of dumping you out into a gift shop after a popular ride, so we checked out the Frozen gift shop for a bit. DD found an Elsa dress and fell in love, so we picked that up for her.

After shopping, DW and DD had hit their limit and they headed back to Pop. Despite being chilly, tired and sore, I was determined to see IllumiNations on this trip. I hung out in Norway for a bit and drank my second victory drink, a Norwegian beer. Not too shabby.

After watching part of the Star Wars fireworks from Norway, I made my over to Italy. I had read up on the Disney Tourist Blog on top locations for shooting IllumiNations and Tom recommended the Italy Isola, with the catch that it's almost occupied by a private party. Well tonight, it was open, so I staked out a spot!

It was pretty chilly waiting for the show to start with the temperatures still pretty low and wind blowing in. I tried to post to the Marathon 2017 board to see if anyone was up for an impromptu meetup, but the Internet wasn't cooperating. Sorry gang.

But, the show finally started and it was totally worth the wait (about 5 years in my case). I loved the show and there was a group of guys in their 20s that kept ooohing and aaahing during the show, which was funny.

Oh, and I got a few shots I was really happy with! Here are a couple I'm really happy with.

IllumiNations is probably now my favorite nighttime show to shoot. One, it's a great show. Two, there are tons of locations to shoot from, so I know each of the next few visits will be different. Third, since it's on the water, it addresses one of my aforementioned issues with Disney photography: people stepping in front of my shot right before the show starts.

I'm also endlessly entertained that this was the time I got to see IllumiNations. During our last two trips, we skipped it because we were all too tired. This time I saw it on the day I had been up since 2:45 a.m. and run a marathon!

Anyway, after the show I grabbed my final victory drink, a bourbon lemonade slushy from the America pavilion and wandered around the World Showcase for just a bit, waiting for the bus crowds to die down. It was my own mini-DATW.

As I was getting ready to leave the park, I realized there was a short wait for Soarin' and I got in line since I hadn't seen the new version yet. It was AMAZING. Highly recommended.

After that, I left the park and took the bus back to Pop.

Next...Our Last Day.

Great update. I always imagined the way to tell the runners from the watchers would be the medals but I bet your way of watching the walking is just as accurate.

Great shots of your daughter with Anna and Elsa! She looks like she really enjoyed meeting them.

I am glad you got to go on Frozen after all. My opinion is its a good ride just not in the right place. That's a discussion for another time though.

Awesome Illuminations shots! It is my favorite show to shoot as well but I didn't get to this time. I only got some iPhone photos.

Illuminations - next time try getting a dinner ADR for Rose & Crown for around 7:15 or later. Bring some woollies since you might end up sitting outside (under a heat lamp, but still) - you'll get your own private viewing over dessert and (Irish) coffee at the end of dinner. And they might even have your delightful DD start the show...

Great update. I always imagined the way to tell the runners from the watchers would be the medals but I bet your way of watching the walking is just as accurate.

And you can hear the challenge runners coming by all of their medals clanking together!

Great pictures of Illuminations. In all my trips I've also never seen it. Like you I was determined to see it this year, but fatigue and that cold wind did me in. Maybe next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter