• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The big G+ rides at HS gone by 1:07!

To me, using it to skip 3 lines for it to be worth it, similar to what I received with FP+.
For us, the amount of time we can save is much more important than the number of experiences that we get with Genie+.

If you can get even one LL with Genie+ that saves close to an hour or more in line that is a good start. Then add one or two more with moderate waits (30-40 minutes) and we’ve saved 2 hours in line.

On our recent trip we got the following key LL:

Day One : JC (60 minutes), Soarin (50 minutes), SE (30 minutes because ride had been down), Living With The Land (15 minutes, only got it because we could use it right after Soarin).

Day Two- MFSR (80 minutes), Peter Pan (60 minutes), HM (45 minutes), Speedway (30 minutes)

Day Three- Safari (40 minutes, allowed us to enter shortly after ride opened at 8:30 without getting in line that formed ahead of time), Lion King (didn’t really need it, but we compressed our schedule because of impending storms and wanted to catch show right after doing Safari and FOP), BTMRR (45 minutes), IASW (30 minutes.). We spent less time in the parks this day because of rain and stopped doing rides early to go to fireworks dessert party).

Day Four- SDD, Aliens, Star Tours, and TSMM all done in a little over an hour as described earlier in this thread.

So, I estimate that we saved over 2 hours in lines each day. More accurately, we did some things that we probably wouldn’t have done otherwise because we wouldn’t have waited in all of those lines.

I was satisfied that we got good value from Genie+, but it did require some advance knowledge of how things work. I happen to enjoy planning for trips.

I liked being able to reserve some things in advance with FP+. But, Genie+ does provide more flexibility because of how you can use it at two parks in a day, decide each day if and how you want to use it based on weather and how previous days have gone, and overlap return times to do more things in less time.

I also did nothing with refreshing, so I didn’t have to have my face in my phone all day. When I used my phone for WDW related things it was to make LL reservations when windows opened, to check standby wait times, and do mobile food orders. The last two of those have nothing to do with Genie+.

For us, the amount of time we can save is much more important than the number of experiences that we get with Genie+.

If you can get even one LL with Genie+ that saves close to an hour or more in line that is a good start. Then add one or two more with moderate waits (30-40 minutes) and we’ve saved 2 hours in line.

On our recent trip we got the following key LL:

Day One : JC (60 minutes), Soarin (50 minutes), SE (30 minutes because ride had been down), Living With The Land (15 minutes, only got it because we could use it right after Soarin).

Day Two- MFSR (80 minutes), Peter Pan (60 minutes), HM (45 minutes), Speedway (30 minutes)

Day Three- Safari (40 minutes, allowed us to enter shortly after ride opened at 8:30 without getting in line that formed ahead of time), Lion King (didn’t really need it, but we compressed our schedule because of impending storms and wanted to catch show right after doing Safari and FOP), BTMRR (45 minutes), IASW (30 minutes.). We spent less time in the parks this day because of rain and stopped doing rides early to go to fireworks dessert party).

Day Four- SDD, Aliens, Star Tours, and TSMM all done in a little over an hour as described earlier in this thread.

So, I estimate that we saved over 2 hours in lines each day. More accurately, we did some things that we probably wouldn’t have done otherwise because we wouldn’t have waited in all of those lines.

I was satisfied that we got good value from Genie+, but it did require some advance knowledge of how things work. I happen to enjoy planning for trips.

I liked being able to reserve some things in advance with FP+. But, Genie+ does provide more flexibility because of how you can use it at two parks in a day, decide each day if and how you want to use it based on weather and how previous days have gone, and overlap return times to do more things in less time.

I also did nothing with refreshing, so I didn’t have to have my face in my phone all day. When I used my phone for WDW related things it was to make LL reservations when windows opened, to check standby wait times, and do mobile food orders. The last two of those have nothing to do with Genie+.

So many people say it’s not needed at AK or Epcot but we added it on for everyday of our Trip. I plan on using it at every park. Even if we save 2 hours it’ll be worth it for us.

Yes, that is likely what the average vacationer wants to do before their vacation. RESEARCH like they are planning their senior thesis.

When we travel to places other than WDW, I do TONS of research about what we should do, see, where to hike, etc. That is FUN research because I'm learning as I go about something/somewhere new. I love creating my spreadsheet with our plans, reservations, points of interest, etc. Learning the in/outs of G+ is NOT at all fun, I found it stressful, but necessary because the cost of going to disney is gigantic.

Having said that, we had great luck with it in 2 trips (early Dec, early Mar) where we ended up with 5 LLs, 4 LLs, 5 LLs for the 3 days we got G+ on those trips (these were not full park days either). Was it worth the research and cost? For how we tour WDW, yes. Having said that, I am NOT looking forward to trying to explain how it all works to our Nov traveling group (6 adults, 4 of whom are young adults who haven't gone since they were tween/teens).

So many people say it’s not needed at AK or Epcot but we added it on for everyday of our Trip. I plan on using it at every park. Even if we save 2 hours it’ll be worth it for us.

We actually used it on our AK/EP day in Dec. We grabbed KS at 7am (this was when Everest was a ILL$), then started stacking EP LLs for the later afternoon evening (KS was absolutely insanely long when we exited, there is no way we would have waited in it). We underestimated how long it takes to go from ride to ride in EP and we got a little jammed up at one point because Soarin' & TT were a bit of a wait even with LL, but we made it work and glad for the time savings over the Standby lines at those. We didn't get G+ when we returned in Dec for EP (and we didn't visit AK) because we were mostly there for the F&G fest (we did Space as a walk-on).

When we go in Nov with our adult kids/SOs, we'll get it each day because none of them have been since young teens/tweens and we'll need to maximize time.

I don't mind doing research either (otherwise why else would I be here) but the level of research needed with this G+ system is far beyond anything we've had to do before for any other trip. Just learning the ins and outs of the system is only part of the puzzle, the rest is trying to figure out the order of LLs you plan to book based on where you might be in that park at that time of day. In years past, you could come up with a game plan 2 months in advance to limit the amount of zigzagging across the park, but now you have to do this all on the fly. Armed with enough information ahead of time, it's not impossible, but it is so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Yes, that is likely what the average vacationer wants to do before their vacation. RESEARCH like they are planning their senior thesis.
I like the research. And whatever, it's not like a senior thesis. I know you're exaggerating to make a point.

I research all my vacations, not just Disney. I am not a millionaire and when I drop lots of money for a vacation....

Good point! I understand LLs are almost walk-on? If you get at least 3 good selections, you've saved about 3 hours of time.

I must say I read someone's post earlier (and no slight on them) where they said "oh I just refreshed for an hour and eventually got" (the LL they wanted) - and I thought "this does not sound like a holiday to me..."

I guess it depends on the situation. For HS I did have to spend some time refreshing, but it was while I wasn’t doing anything anyway. I had gotten tot, rnrc, and as2. Then for the fourth I had to refresh for maybe a half hour or so to get mmrr. But we were taking a break and I was laying on the bed at the resort. For the 5th I refreshed for maybe 20 minutes while sitting on a bench waiting for others to ride and got Mfsm. I agree I wouldn’t want to sit there refreshing constantly if I was busy doing something. But if you aren’t like I wasn’t (or if you’re standing in a line) it’s not bad.

I do understand everyone is different though. What’s ok for me isn’t for others. Just giving my experience of refreshing.

As far as MK and ep. We were very pleased with our purchase of genie+. Ep you have to prioritize frozen or tt, but it (IMO) really saves a lot of time.

I think the only people who feel they need to research Disney like it’s their thesis are people on these boards. The ones who want to maximize G+ to its fullest extent. Most of the guests who buy G+ will just go with the flow of it and book what they can when they can.

Maybe I'm spoiled with going to other parks and getting on more then 2-3 rides and also when I want to ride them. As well as many times I want to ride them. Last I went to Universal I rode the Mummy 11 times cause of express pass.

If I'm paying for a skip the line system I want more then 2-3 rides.

Just saw the news about the G+ rewording- that guests can expect to ride 2-3 attractions using G+ if they book early in the day…. I’m sure the good folks at Guest Services have finally had enough!

Also…WDW, are you reading this thread? 😂

If that’s the case we’ve got a whole lot more suggestions for you to improve the G+ experience!!

(And for those just tuning in, there are some good tips here and on other threads on how to maximize and hopefully get more….)

Maybe I'm spoiled with going to other parks and getting on more then 2-3 rides and also when I want to ride them. As well as many times I want to ride them. Last I went to Universal I rode the Mummy 11 times cause of express pass.

If I'm paying for a skip the line system I want more then 2-3 rides.

The only other theme park I can compare Disney to is six flags and their skip the line system is $70-125 per person per day. Disney’s is $15. I think people are expecting way too much out of $15. To get more than 2-3 rides prices will have to go up so less people purchase it.

Last edited:
I don't mind doing research either (otherwise why else would I be here) but the level of research needed with this G+ system is far beyond anything we've had to do before for any other trip. Just learning the ins and outs of the system is only part of the puzzle, the rest is trying to figure out the order of LLs you plan to book based on where you might be in that park at that time of day. In years past, you could come up with a game plan 2 months in advance to limit the amount of zigzagging across the park, but now you have to do this all on the fly. Armed with enough information ahead of time, it's not impossible, but it is so much more difficult than it needs to be.
The other problem is you can know al the ins and outs of the system and all it takes is one or two unexpected or unpredictable circumstances that throws everything off. Ie, ride closures, weather, crowd change, app glitches, etc etc. that’s why genie+ is a gamble no matter how prepared you are. You can know a slow machine game in and out…. But it all comes down to the variability of the pull

The only other theme park I can compare Disney to is six flags and their skip the line system is $70-125 per person per day. Disney’s is $15. I think people are expecting way too much out of $15. To get more than 2-3 rides prices will have to go up so less people purchase it.
While it costs more at Six flags and other parks I feel you get a better bang for your buck. IMO if they are going to keep it at $15 then the best solution is to up the LL to Standby ratio. If Standby has to crawl so be it. Make it worth it for those who pay for Genie+

The other problem is you can know al the ins and outs of the system and all it takes is one or two unexpected or unpredictable circumstances that throws everything off. Ie, ride closures, weather, crowd change, app glitches, etc etc. that’s why genie+ is a gamble no matter how prepared you are. You can know a slow machine game in and out…. But it all comes down to the variability of the pull
Yep, being able to adapt and improvise is going to be key. I will have several contingency plans in place in case a particular LL sells out earlier than expected or a ride goes down late in the day (if they go down earlier in the day, you get that LL converted to an anytime pass from what I gather.)

It's also for this reason why I am scrapping all but two of my ADRs. Just adds that much more complexity when trying to schedule around ADRs on park days.

While it costs more at Six flags and other parks I feel you get a better bang for your buck. IMO if they are going to keep it at $15 then the best solution is to up the LL to Standby ratio. If Standby has to crawl so be it. Make it worth it for those who pay for Genie+
Slowing standby more than it already is will likely push more people to buy G+ and you either end up with the same ratio anyway, or a G+ price increase, or worse - both.

Especially these days anyone who goes to a popular vacation destination without doing some research or planning in advance is likely to be disappointed.

It has been a fact of life for decades that people who go to WDW with some knowledge about how things work can have a much different (and in many cases better) experience than people who just show up with no idea what to expect.

But isn’t that the supposed argument why FP+ needed to change? Because it wasn’t fair to the casual vacationer? If we are going to favor the “researchers” anyway, FP+ was far superior. I don’t see how people can argue this is remotely equal to FP+, even if it were free. But it’s not free, and it’s inferior.

But isn’t that the supposed argument why FP+ needed to change? Because it wasn’t fair to the casual vacationer?

It wasn't about fairness, it was about getting more $$$/visitor. That wasn't exactly subtle. It was in the earnings call.

Reactions: itf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter