The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower FAQ with PICs! (FEB 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are staying at the Contemporary in June and are so excited. We aren't planning to eat at the California Grill any evenings, but I was hoping to go to their lounge one evening for a couple drinks and watch Wishes. But, what I have read, you have to present your receipt from an earlier dinner or your confirmation for you dinner to even get into the Cali Grill. Is this correct, or can we just go to the bar and be able to watch the fireworks?

Subscribing. Subscribed using the thread tools but not getting email alerts. Trying this way to see if it works.

That pic is from December 2008 - it's cool because they had just started removing the scaffolding from the northern, exterior part of the "C."

I'd definitely recommend the parasailing. When your feet first leave the boat, it's really exhilerating, then it feels like you're flying. The ride is short (around 8-12 minutes), but it's an incredible feeling with amazing views. That would be an awesome thing to do with your DD.

Your pics are fantastic!

Hello all~

We are currently booked at Sugar Loaf for a trip this July. My DD8 is really wanting to stay at the Contemporary. We are booked on a 40% pin, and I called the other day about CL availability at CR. The 12th and the 14th floors were both available. The 14th floor is a few hundred dollars more. For those of you that have stayed on both floors, how would you compare the two? I understand there are less standard rooms on the 14th floor and the lounges serve basically the same thing, but is there anything else that I am missing? The cast member that I spoke with, as sweet as she was, didn't seem too knowledgeable about either floor :confused3.

I've looked at the Poly CL as well (we were booked there last July and cancelled a week before leaving to stay at the Dolphin), so feel free to chime in on that resort as well. I really should take up permanent residence on the resort switchers thread. We've had too many snow days, so I've had plenty of time to read the DIS and change my mind a thousand times :rolleyes1.

We have stayed in regular CR rooms, 12th FL and now prefer to stay on the 14th FL as we get a suite. A few other posters have posted the differences on 12 vs 14 so I won't repeat that stuff.

We did stay at GF SL last year and I didn't care for it. Yes, GF is a superior resort - I have NO complaints at all - service, mousekeeping, private dining were all top notch. What I didn't like was having to walk from SL into the main building to get the monorail. We missed the Walkway to/from MK to CR, and the fact that monorail is just an elevator ride away from whatever tower floor you are on at CR. If I were ever to stay at GF again, it would be in the main building, no more outer buildings.

Personally, there is nothing more satisfying than being able to open up the drapes each morning and seeing the castle. The CR TPV is the best around, nothing like watching fireworks from our balcony! People complain about seeing parking lot, well I don't get that close to the edge and my focus is on the castle! lol

We are staying at the Contemporary in June and are so excited. We aren't planning to eat at the California Grill any evenings, but I was hoping to go to their lounge one evening for a couple drinks and watch Wishes. But, what I have read, you have to present your receipt from an earlier dinner or your confirmation for you dinner to even get into the Cali Grill. Is this correct, or can we just go to the bar and be able to watch the fireworks?
I just made a CA Grill reservation this past weekend for our anniversary in August and on my confirmation it says:

Due to capacity constraints as well as the numerous private functions hosted by the California Grill, only patrons of the California Grill may use the 15th floor observation deck at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Guests who have dined prior in the evening may return to California Grill to view the fireworks. Guests will need to present their receipt from dinner to gain re-entry to the restaurant.

As an alternative, Disney Resort Guests who are visiting Disney's Contemporary Resort for shopping or dining experiences may visit a fireworks viewing location on the north end of the 4th floor Grand Canyon Concourse. Proceed past the Concourse Sundries and Spirits shop and exit the doors to the exterior. From the viewing area, Guests can see Cinderella Castle and Magic Kingdom® theme park, and hear the background music and sounds synchronized with the Wishes fireworks display. There is a small area under cover for viewing during inclement weather.

The sushi and Chef's counter are seated on a first-come, first-served basis.

While you do have to have either a reservation or a receipt from dining earlier the same day, it seems the sushi bar area (in front of the chefs) is seated on a "first-come, first-served basis." To me, this would imply that you don't actually have to have a reservation to be seated there, however, it's not really clear and I've never personally eaten at CA Grill w/o a reservation (and why would this appear on the reservation confirmation?). Certainly, a reservation would guarantee your admittance. Perhaps it means that you can request to eat at the bar when you check-in at the podium, but you're seated there on a F-C, F-S basis :confused3

I would call WDW-DINE to find out or maybe someone will post who has eaten at the bar-area w/o a reservation.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we will just need to watch Wishes from the 4th floor deck since we aren't going to eat at California Grill.

How is the room service food? How speedy is room service? Would I have a problem making rope drop at MK if I order breakfast from room service?

We've also stayed many times on both the 12th and 14th floors. I wanted to add once difference that hasn't been mentioned. The balconies on the 14th floor are much larger than those on the 12th. It makes the view, the fireworks and just relaxing even more enjoyable.

We've also stayed many times on both the 12th and 14th floors. I wanted to add once difference that hasn't been mentioned. The balconies on the 14th floor are much larger than those on the 12th. It makes the view, the fireworks and just relaxing even more enjoyable.

OH YEAH!!! GOOD POINT CONTEMPORARYMOM!!!! I LOVE THOSE 14TH FLOOR DECKS TOO!!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for that tip and I am going to add it onto the 1st page where I list the differences between both floors.

I just made a CA Grill reservation this past weekend for our anniversary in August and on my confirmation it says:

Due to capacity constraints as well as the numerous private functions hosted by the California Grill, only patrons of the California Grill may use the 15th floor observation deck at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Guests who have dined prior in the evening may return to California Grill to view the fireworks. Guests will need to present their receipt from dinner to gain re-entry to the restaurant.

As an alternative, Disney Resort Guests who are visiting Disney's Contemporary Resort for shopping or dining experiences may visit a fireworks viewing location on the north end of the 4th floor Grand Canyon Concourse. Proceed past the Concourse Sundries and Spirits shop and exit the doors to the exterior. From the viewing area, Guests can see Cinderella Castle and Magic Kingdom® theme park, and hear the background music and sounds synchronized with the Wishes fireworks display. There is a small area under cover for viewing during inclement weather.

While you do have to have either a reservation or a receipt from dining earlier the same day, it seems the sushi bar area (in front of the chefs) is seated on a "first-come, first-served basis." To me, this would imply that you don't actually have to have a reservation to be seated there, however, it's not really clear and I've never personally eaten at CA Grill w/o a reservation (and why would this appear on the reservation confirmation?). Certainly, a reservation would guarantee your admittance. Perhaps it means that you can request to eat at the bar when you check-in at the podium, but you're seated there on a F-C, F-S basis :confused3

I would call WDW-DINE to find out or maybe someone will post who has eaten at the bar-area w/o a reservation.
Thanks for posting that information and I am going to add it onto the 1st page.

It works! We have went when they opened and asked to sit at the bar. But, we only stayed for drinks, and didnt try to go back for fireworks. But, if you get there early, you can get in without a reservation!

Those balconies are AWESOME on 14! We have enjoyed meals on the tables out there!
That is a great way to make room service even better!

You're welcome.

Looks like in addition to eating at the CA Grill, you're going to have to add "stay on the Tower Club level" to your list of CR must-dos:laughing:
Actually I have stayed on the 14th floor. In May 2000 we got upgraded from a from the 12th floor to a standard room on the 14th floor, back when they were the only one that was full Club Level.

It works! We have went when they opened and asked to sit at the bar. But, we only stayed for drinks, and didnt try to go back for fireworks. But, if you get there early, you can get in without a reservation!
Thanks, Craig, that's great to know. I hope DisneyHarden reads your comment and tries it.

Actually I have stayed on the 14th floor. In May 2000 we got upgraded from a from the 12th floor to a standard room on the 14th floor, back when they were the only one that was full Club Level.
Nevermind then, cross it off the list:thumbsup2

Just curious, has the decor changed since then? And, Craig, your photos of the 14th floor that I linked to yesterday, what year did you take them?

Nevermind then, cross it off the list:thumbsup2

Just curious, has the decor changed since then? And, Craig, your photos of the 14th floor that I linked to yesterday, what year did you take them?
Well this past December for whatever when we went into the elevator the 14th floor light up, so we had to go up there and wait for another one getting back to the 12th floor. (This was after 10:00 PM when the Cast Members working up there had left for the night) Anyway we looked around for a few minutes and it looked the lounge looked the same. I also remember a Cast Member on the 12th floor telling me that the 14th floor rooms got a minor renovation, so nothing like the rooms on the other floors and Garden Wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter