The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower FAQ with PICs! (FEB 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all~

We are currently booked at Sugar Loaf for a trip this July. My DD8 is really wanting to stay at the Contemporary. We are booked on a 40% pin, and I called the other day about CL availability at CR. The 12th and the 14th floors were both available. The 14th floor is a few hundred dollars more. For those of you that have stayed on both floors, how would you compare the two? I understand there are less standard rooms on the 14th floor and the lounges serve basically the same thing, but is there anything else that I am missing? The cast member that I spoke with, as sweet as she was, didn't seem too knowledgeable about either floor :confused3.

I've looked at the Poly CL as well (we were booked there last July and cancelled a week before leaving to stay at the Dolphin), so feel free to chime in on that resort as well. I really should take up permanent residence on the resort switchers thread. We've had too many snow days, so I've had plenty of time to read the DIS and change my mind a thousand times :rolleyes1.

We stayed on the 14th floor in December and the 12th floor in January.

The 14th floor was much quieter. That is, it's not open down to the Grand Canyon Concourse. So you can't hear Chef Mickeys, etc. I thought that was great in December (having not yet stayed on 12) since many people here at the DIS complain about the noise.

After staying on 12 in January, I actually prefer floor 12. We found it fun to step out the door and look down on all of the activity. We're not exactly light sleepers, so Chef Mickey's never woke us. And we really couldn't hear it in the main part of the room. You could always hear a bit of the buzz from the concourse near the door. But if you're near the door, you're awake.

On 14, they kept our fridge stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, water and apple juice. On 12, we easily did that ourselves with the offerings in the lounge.

I though the staff was helpful and friendly on both floors.

We booked one of the two king standard rooms on the 14th floor (2 adults). so I did like that better. Knowing for sure that I'd have a king bed (we sleep in one at home and wake each other up in a queen). But it's not worth it enough to us to book 14 and pay more versus 12, now that we've stayed on 12.

I also prefer the lounge on the 12th floor. LOTS of options for seating. One morning on 14 there was a set of grandparents with a set of parents and kids. They basically took up all of the seating in the 14th floor lounge (2 couches and 1 chair around a coffee table and another table and chairs). I felt like we were interrupting their breakfast as they basically 'filled' the lounge (nothing against them, there's just not that much seating). I liked all the different seating options on 12.

Those are the big things I remember. If you have other questions, let me know.

I'll bet not too many DISers have stayed on both CR CL floors (how exciting!). It's great you could offer your advice, f15robyn.

One other difference worth noting is that the 14th floor rooms have a different decor from the 12th (Atrium Club), which is the same decor as all the other rooms at the CR.

Here is a link to some photos of the 14th floor (Tower Club) Lounge:

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/towerclub.html

And the (STD Tower Club) rooms:

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/room4912.html

http://www.contemporaryresort.net/room4911.html

The 14th floor was much quieter. That is, it's not open down to the Grand Canyon Concourse. So you can't hear Chef Mickeys, etc. I thought that was great in December (having not yet stayed on 12) since many people here at the DIS complain about the noise.

After staying on 12 in January, I actually prefer floor 12. We found it fun to step out the door and look down on all of the activity. We're not exactly light sleepers, so Chef Mickey's never woke us. And we really couldn't hear it in the main part of the room. You could always hear a bit of the buzz from the concourse near the door. But if you're near the door, you're awake.

On 14, they kept our fridge stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, water and apple juice. On 12, we easily did that ourselves with the offerings in the lounge.

We booked one of the two king standard rooms on the 14th floor (2 adults). so I did like that better. Knowing for sure that I'd have a king bed (we sleep in one at home and wake each other up in a queen). But it's not worth it enough to us to book 14 and pay more versus 12, now that we've stayed on 12.

I also prefer the lounge on the 12th floor. LOTS of options for seating. One morning on 14 there was a set of grandparents with a set of parents and kids. They basically took up all of the seating in the 14th floor lounge (2 couches and 1 chair around a coffee table and another table and chairs). I felt like we were interrupting their breakfast as they basically 'filled' the lounge (nothing against them, there's just not that much seating). I liked all the different seating options on 12.

Thank you for giving some insight into both of your stays. As WDWKook said, it's probably not likely that too many people have stayed on both floors-lucky you! I looked at the link that WDWKook sent and I actually like the decor of the 14th floor better (it seems the colors are brighter, compared to the natural, muted tones of the other rooms). What are your thoughts on the convenience, of either floor, in relation to going down to the pool? My DH says that the Poly or GF win out on that, as if we need something in the room it is much easier to dash back into the room than to walk through the lobby to the elevator and up. I think I agree with him, as the pics of the pool look like quite a distance from the main building.

The things that are making me lean towards the CR are (besides my DD :)): view from the high floors, everything being in one building, definitely having a balcony, and the walk to the MK. I love the Poly theming, but would be disappointed if we didn't get a balcony room. The theming of the GF is nice, but I don't like the fact that there is no view of the MK from the Sugarloaf lounge. CR and Poly have wonderful views from the lounges!

Previously written by: WDWKOOK
One other difference worth noting is that the 14th floor rooms have a different decor from the 12th (Atrium Club), which is the same decor as all the other rooms at the CR.

...I would just like to add that while all the floors including the 12th floor received a complete rehab, the 14th floor only received a "soft" rehab. Meaning that while furniture and bedding, closet design, bathroom sinks, etc were changed on all floors, on the 14th floor it was only the bedding/curtains that were changed. The sinks are the old deep filled sinks (which are wonderful), the closets have more space, and there's more drawer space. We really like the 14th floor ROOMS!

That being said, as much as we have enjoyed staying on the 14th floor, I have to agree with f15robyn that being able to look down onto the concourse is one of the highlights of being on the 12th floor as opposed to the 14th floor where it is enclosed.:thumbsup2

Also, IMHO ,the pool area is very close to the main building. I would guess it would be a closer walk compared to the other two resorts and the proximity of their pools??

Good luck deciding!!!:banana:

I really should take up permanent residence on the resort switchers thread. We've had too many snow days, so I've had plenty of time to read the DIS and change my mind a thousand times :rolleyes1.

Heehee!! My kids are on break this week...DD15 keeps saying..."Umm...Mom I really need the computer to do a school project???" :surfweb:.... :thumbsup2

I'd definitely recommend the parasailing. When your feet first leave the boat, it's really exhilerating, then it feels like you're flying. The ride is short (around 8-12 minutes), but it's an incredible feeling with amazing views. That would be an awesome thing to do with your DD.

I'd definitely recommend it too! My girlfriend and myself did this twice last year - our first flight was cut short due to inclement weather, so they gave us the option for a partial refund or a raincheck for another flight, and obviously chose the latter, and taped it too!

Peparing for takeoff:

para-takeoff.jpg

Up up and away! :

takingoff.jpg

Way up in the air:

wayup.jpg

For our perspective way up in the air, you can watch the video on YouTube.

It is quite exhilerating, and it's one of those experiences that is worth doing at least once in your life.

I'd definitely recommend it too! My girlfriend and myself did this twice last year - our first flight was cut short due to inclement weather, so they gave us the option for a partial refund or a raincheck for another flight, and obviously chose the latter, and taped it too!

It is quite exhilerating, and it's one of those experiences that is worth doing at least once in your life.

AWESOME pictures!!! And I agree totally with your post...went tandem with DD a couple years ago....what a rush...what a view!!!!

Peparing for takeoff:

para-takeoff.jpg

Up up and away! :

takingoff.jpg

Way up in the air:

wayup.jpg

Thanks, Chris for linking to your video! That really is a quick ride and I somehow pictured it going all around BL/Discovery Island. I also enjoyed watching your BLT video a few months ago:thumbsup2

You mentioned it feeling like a swing and I noticed that the boat was going in circles, did you have any feeling similar to the tea cups? Or is it more in line with a (much more exaggerated) Soarin'-type feeling?

Also, when your DGF mentioned the people below having a good time, were they in a SeaRaycer?

You mentioned it feeling like a swing and I noticed that the boat was going in circles, did you have any feeling similar to the tea cups? Or is it more in line with a (much more exaggerated) Soarin'-type feeling?

Also, when your DGF mentioned the people below having a good time, were they in a SeaRaycer?

Not at all like the tea cups, more in line with an exaggerate Soarin' I suppose. Certainly didn't feel like going around in circles. As for the shortness of the ride, they were only supposed to give us our remaining flight time, which would have been like three or four minutes, if that- instead they gave us basically a full ride, which was fantastic!

As for the people below, I think they were in Sea Racers.

Not at all like the tea cups, more in line with an exaggerate Soarin' I suppose. Certainly didn't feel like going around in circles. As for the shortness of the ride, they were only supposed to give us our remaining flight time, which would have been like three or four minutes, if that- instead they gave us basically a full ride, which was fantastic!

As for the people below, I think they were in Sea Racers.
Thank you, that explains the short duration. Soooo glad that it's not at all like the tea cups.

Keep posting your WDW videos/photo links!

Thanks for posting your review.

Peparing for takeoff:

para-takeoff.jpg

Up up and away! :

takingoff.jpg

Way up in the air:

wayup.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures and the link to the video.

Previously written by: WDWKOOK

...I would just like to add that while all the floors including the 12th floor received a complete rehab, the 14th floor only received a "soft" rehab. Meaning that while furniture and bedding, closet design, bathroom sinks, etc were changed on all floors, on the 14th floor it was only the bedding/curtains that were changed. The sinks are the old deep filled sinks (which are wonderful), the closets have more space, and there's more drawer space. We really like the 14th floor ROOMS!

That being said, as much as we have enjoyed staying on the 14th floor, I have to agree with f15robyn that being able to look down onto the concourse is one of the highlights of being on the 12th floor as opposed to the 14th floor where it is enclosed.:thumbsup2

Also, IMHO ,the pool area is very close to the main building. I would guess it would be a closer walk compared to the other two resorts and the proximity of their pools??

Good luck deciding!!!:banana:

I waited too long-DH called tonight and the 14th floor is booked. :rolleyes:.

I waited too long-DH called tonight and the 14th floor is booked. :rolleyes:.
Well that's not surprisning because they only have a total of 16 rooms up there, because it's not set up like all the other floors in the Tower. However I am sure if you keep checking it might become available for your dates.

Subscribing! We are booked for our 1st stay here in Aug. That is if we don't switch to the Polynesian. Our son wants to stay here. We always wanted to try it out, but then we stayed at the Poly and we're having a hard time not going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter