ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Love your house in Salem all decked out! That pretty snow wow. Eye candy for sure.

Well, not quite decked out. Still need to get the icicle lights up ( which will stay up until possibly March- because deep down inside we're really just like rednecks), and of course the big red bows on the lampposts.

Wow you have been superbusy. That's nice letting your DIL move in. How kind.

That is a lot of extra hours lady and lots of guests for Holidays.

Hope you have a good rest soon!

As of yesterday, she says she's waiting until after Christmas sometime. We're happy with whatever she decides.

Luckily I have most of next week off so can make progress then. Still have to make the traditional tamales. Which takes all day.

View attachment 210823
My son is in charge of our decorating. I don't do it, so whatever he wants to do is ok...this year the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs are representing! Lol
That's awesome, Tanya! I love it! We usually put a lot of fun lights up, but not this year. Just too much. Thanks for letting me celebrate a bit brighter vicariously through you!

H is for Happy Halloween; Pt. 2

After a spectacular beginning to our evening of spooky fun, it was time to take advantage of mostly empty ride queues. I'd planned a full 2 hours of ride fun before it was time for some of the other offerings. How much would we get done? How many of you really give a crap?

Yeah, thought so. ;)

We met back up in Fantasyland, since I was already there having just nailed my job interview. Still haven't heard anything back, but am starting to wonder if the job announcement originated out of Nigeria. Besides, someone (thanks, @Captain_Oblivious )pointed out that it was actually only cubic zirconium they mine, so I'm having 2nd thoughts. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Dwarf Boys.

This was the first time I'd actually set foot in the New Fantasyland and I must admit, I was pretty much in Heaven. What a spectacular job they did, IMHO! No detail seemed to spared and the overall vibe of childlike charm was everywhere. I'd heard from multiple sources about the Tangled Tinkle Area, and no, it did not disappoint. Simply endearing. (Who doesn't want to take a leak with strands of glowing lanterns to add to the ambiance?) So much so, that I stopped to smell the roses, figuratively speaking. The sky was perfectly cooperating as I traded out my nursing cap for photographer's hat. I really don't have a clever narrative for this Chapter, we just ambled along with only one Must-do on the agenda. I'm sure you can guess what that was as we move through next little while.

And now, sit back and enjoy a few photos of our ambling:

Soon enough it was time for the next item on our Party Bucket List. One simply does not go the Mickey's Scary Party without a spin with the 999 Ghosts. (Just for a day, I'd sure love to be #1,000.) We sauntered up to the line and surprisingly, it wasn't even too terribly long. Maybe 20 minutes; not too shabby for this evening's E ticket ride, no? Let me just pause here to say a word about the atmosphere of park in general. If you have never sprung for the scary price of the party, it is absolutely worth it just once. Well, maybe twice, but I'd only do it again if I were paying for myself and not other family. The lighting and effects alone are amazing! The background music adds to the quirky and whimsical spookiness, as well as the costuming choices for the CMs... the guests' costumes notwithstanding add to the fun atmosphere. We never saw one meltdown or bad behavior; maybe the extra cost helped everyone there realize that it was just far too expensive an evening to mess around with bad attitudes.

Ok, back on track here. Highest on the ride priority list was HM, as you may have guessed. I felt a huge need to hit that up early should the evening get away from us. And the line, like I said, was pretty short. I was eager to try out my new lens.

Clearly, hardware has little to do with getting a great shot, if the user has no idea what they are doing. 99% was a total fail. I now completely understand the haunted part of Haunted Mansion. Dark shots are just... hard. And even more so when you are moving.

Regardless, a very few DID turn out ok; here are the best outtakes:

I REALLY wish this one had turned out. Makes me sad, because they are both posed to well.

Grainy and crappy, but creepy.

The next 2 actually thrill me. I tried really hard for these shots and had to let a ton of people by us so I could stop and try. Yes, that was no tripod and in a hurry. ;) Yes, there is a lot of noise but the ISO was pretty high. Still, I'm ok with that.

Please excuse me while I play with my new toy: Lightroom.

Side tangent story:

Remember we had gone to the Keys after Disney portion of this trip? I know, I know, a million years ago now, but...

So we were on our way home on the flight and had to sit separately since I forgot to online check-in the day before. I ended up sitting next to a REALLY nice guy, maybe 35 or so?, who was first gen from India. He'd been here about 4 years or so working in the tech industry (no surprise there!). I had my camera out scrolling through the photos from the trip and happened to have the card in from the Halloween Party fireworks. He leans over and exclaims, "Oh! You're a photog too! Lemme see your work!".

"Ummmm, ok. I'm not really all that good; only an amateur who likes to have a little fun. And spend money on lenses I'll never do justice to. But here! Take a look!"

Meanwhile, he has his laptop open and is editing his own bunch of photos from a friend's kid's birthday party using Lightroom 6. (Reminds me, I need to get out my sari and wear it just for fun sometime soon!) I expressed an interest in the program having only used a free editing program called Picasa up to now. He gave me a quick tour of it's features and then proceeded to ask me to give me my disk and that he would teach me how to navigate and use LR. Uhhh, REALLY!? Ok!

We chose a photo to start with one of the fireworks shots from the Party, and he proceeded to spend the next few hours coaching me through the editing process. He was a super patient teacher and we swapped stories of his life in India growing up and our time in Crapistan. Seriously, a truly enjoyable flight cut all too short by reaching our destination. Anyway, I was hooked. So many more features than the rudimentary Picasa. Huzzah!!!! BUT....

I didn't have the cash at the time to buy it. There was the trip to pay off, a new floor to be paid for and Christmas coming up. So, I waited. I also knew that I desperately needed a new laptop (not just a new one, but an additional one. Mine had become "everyone's" and was more often than not being used as the "homework computer". Not ok. NOT. O.K!) So, I waited until the bank account was back up to acceptable levels and the new laptop was purchased and set up. Ta-da!!!! New computer, photos to work with, AND LR6 installed.

Tangent over.

Now, let's get on with the evening, shall we?

The obligatory photo by the horseless carriage.

Lady Carlotta was in fine form that evening! Holy cow, she was hilarious, in fact. We stayed and watched for a good 10 minutes before she had to disapparate for the night. Sad, I could have listened to her jokes about the University of Alabama all night long.

Time to saunter over to Adventureland for kicks and giggles. What could possibly be creepier than a ride filled with drunk, out-of-control men selling women and waterboarding the town mayor?

Again... dark ride. Moving boat. Noob photog.

Disturbing. And yet my favorite scene. She's a sexy redhead. What can I say?

The mangy curr:

And the lesser noticed gang of felons trying to lure the dog:

As a kid, I'd always hoped these 3 could snag the dog and break out to cause more mayhem. As an adult, I'm not so sure anymore. Although, I don't doubt they'd have been an awful lot of fun to have around as I worked my way from A-Z. Or not.

Ladies, you are welcome. Just making sure, ALL of my readers get a little somethin'.

And that concludes our window of attraction fun. But it wasn't the last of it for the night either. Before we have a bit more ride action though, we have Party events to attend!!! 3 in fact!!! Stick around, if you dare! It's a light week at work coming up, so I'll try to squeeze one more in before Christmas! Keep up the fun chatter meantime.

Your TR Ghost Host, Steppe

OK, I came over here to post my pictures of the house and didn't realize you had done a whole part 2 update. I'll have to wait until later to take a look at it. I've got one reply "in progress", one that I "lost" and another that just came in. But I promise I will be back. It might not be until the end of the week when I am at my folks house. We have three crazy days of contractors at the house, plus packing and squeezing in the new Star Wars movie. Then we drive up I-5 to my parents and Friday is reserved for Fran to sleep and me to do "whatever" (which means catch up on the DIS). And then we go out to dinner, so this 15 minutes before I start making dinner (well it's all chopped and prepped, the 15 minutes is until I have to start cooking) is all I have before I go into a food coma and become useless for the rest of the evening.

So here goes, my house and Christmas decorations!

And now, another Real Life Update, but this one so much happier than the last!

With working nearly full time in a profession I've worked hard at learning, and earning a decent hourly wage now, it's time to reap the benefits. One thing I promised myself early on was that after a lot was socked away for retirement each month, I'd be doing quite a bit of travel. Going to Disney resorts is obviously pretty high up on the list of destinations. Let's begin then, with a quick little jaunt to DLR in.....say.... March.

It just so happens that there is also a small gathering in the works while I'm there. And since at least one of the others has announced the trip and invited others, I shall too. The last week of March is set aside to take a trip to visit some of the last remaining family that I have down in SoCal, and then hang around DLR doing all kinds of wonderful and fun things. Planning on a little time at DTD, hit up the parks for a couple of days, and spend some time visiting with Alison and Fran. (Hi, @franandaj !!) The other for sure player in this is @pkondz and I do believe that @queenbetsey will try to make it out as well.

As always, I'm super pumped to meet new DISsers and enjoy their company. Sometimes, you know you just "click". I sure enjoyed the time I got with Fran and Alison in October!

No, I'm not going to do a PTR. I've been to DLR a million times and for a 2 day trip, don't feel like I need to do a ton of planning. But I may throw an occasional comment about developments here or there on this TR.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled banter...

Ugh... Still have so much to do.... :sad2:

Don't we all!

Agreed. If you're lactose intolerant, milking anything would be scary.

Wait?! Are you?

You guys look great!

Thanks! Made it a lot more fun!

:goodvibes Makes it all worth it, no?

Totally! Wouldn't have been as fun without adding that to the night!

Long pants! I take it, it wasn't concrete meltingly hot out, then.

Smart and savvy Party Goers go in October, not September. ;)

It was not hot... quite comfortable, in fact.

What is she holding? Shrinking/growing liquid?

Long story, or short?? I can give either version....

What a great shot! Did you pose her or did you just get lucky and catch her that way?

A little bit of both. She was being a little sulky as we were hungry and it was towards the end of the night when I got this one. She was not really paying attention, but when I started clicking, she turned. I told her to stop, and keep playing with her hair. It worked.

And you are right. This indeed, was one of the best shots I got all night. Thanks!

mmmmm... those look good!!

You have NO idea! So good!

I'm not a huge fan of Casey's hot dogs.

They destroyed them when they went to the whole wheat bun a few years back. I may never forgive them.

Sister Beatrice. Horrible human being. Almost positive she lived to inflict pain and strike fear in children's hearts. Probably long gone by now. Makes me wonder how many nuns are roasting in hades right now... all being whacked with giant yard sticks.

But... were you being naughty? Stop evading the question.

Is that.... a chorus of angels I hear?

It is possible. The load on top might make up for the lack of delicious (non crumbling) bun.

I hear there are other characters that only come out that night, too.
Probably just a rumour.

Yes, but those are not a 7 for 1. Plus, I have never seen whatever movie Jack Skellington is even in. So he, they, were off the list. We did get one more character photo during the night coming up later.

Yeah but you don't order people's hearts ripped out, do you?

No, but I've been known to steal one or two. Eh hem.

Have I told you how pretty you looked in your costume? I'm sure you were the fairest one of all the park goers.

Now that we have that established, you can be assured of your heart's safety. You are welcome.

It's called trick or treating. Sheesh

Ohhhhh, is that what that is called. :rolleyes::scratchin

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Of course not. You were being 100% altruistic.

Well, yeah. Of course.

Continue.

Continuing....

Quick! When he passes out, grab his bucket!

:thumbsup2 Excelllent idea!

Who indeed?

Still trying to guard your heart? Queen and mirror and all....

Totally cute and awesome picture!!

:blush:

Good luck with the new job! Any word yet??

These things take time. (I may have to resort to bribery.)

Uh, huh. Sounds pretty sketchy. Don't take your eyes off your drink.

:drinking1Ok.

Great update Liesa!
Thanks; that one was fun to write!

OK, I came over here to post my pictures of the house and didn't realize you had done a whole part 2 update.

I'm kinda sneaky like that! ;)

But I promise I will be back.

I'll still be here. :)

We have three crazy days of contractors at the house, plus packing and squeezing in the new Star Wars movie.

That sounds incredibly busy! Yikes!

And then we go out to dinner, so this 15 minutes before I start making dinner (well it's all chopped and prepped, the 15 minutes is until I have to start cooking) is all I have before I go into a food coma and become useless for the rest of the evening.

How is the weight loss coming? Still trying to make those changes we talked about? I'm down about 10 pounds, and still have about 7 or so go. Not fun, but worth it!

IMG_9384.jpg

Absolutely lovely!! So, is a ranch style? It's a little hard to tell in the dark?

OMGosh! I LOVE the palm tree silhouetted over the doorway!! The lights are AWESOME!

Super jelly about the March get together - my holidays are already booked for February. Could NOT convince DD19 to to anything Dis related, or a cruise, so we are going to head to Cuba and plop ourselves down with books and drinks and pools and food. The less walking the better!
The Halloween party looks so cool! Thank you for sharing, I can almost feel like I was there with you. Glad you enjoyed New Fantasyland, I think it's special too.

Should be a fun time! I'll have to admit, Cuba sounds pretty darn intriguing as well. I"m sure you two will have a great time there... who doesn't love books and drinks by the pool?!

It was definitely a very cool party. I loved everything about it! And you're welcome! Much more to come in the next couple of updates. But maybe not until after Christmas.

I can't wait for deets on this trip, for those who know I have a moratorium on trip planning until we get
Absolutely lovely!! So, is a ranch style? It's a little hard to tell in the dark?

I think maybe ranch style. Here is it in the daylight.

That's from Google images, I have better, but would have to look for it....

Yeah, looks like a nice ranch, but I LOVE the roof and the crap ton of palms!

Those palms are so old they actually scare me when the winds come up. They sway like crazy and they are so freakin' tall they really scare me! The house was built in 1960 so those palms are easily 50 years old/tall! :eek: The tree trimming guys scare the heck out of me when they scale them! :eek:

Those palms are so old they actually scare me when the winds come up. They sway like crazy and they are so freakin' tall they really scare me! The house was built in 1960 so those palms are easily 50 years old/tall! :eek: The tree trimming guys scare the heck out of me when they scale them! :eek:
I'll tell a story in a little bit about climbing palms....

Enjoyed the H update. Just love FantasyLand too. Is there a coolest rest room award?

Just love the MNSSHP we have done this countless times never grows old. Adore the HM any day or night but on party night it is awseome. Great photos.

That was neat sitting next to that nice guy on the plane.

How lovely your trip in March!

I'd planned a full 2 hours of ride fun before it was time for some of the other offerings. How much would we get done? How many of you really give a crap?

Yeah, thought so. ;)

I always struggle with that when writing TR's--why does anyone care about this? And yet, we're your friends, so...we do.

Besides, someone (thanks, @Captain_Oblivious )pointed out that it was actually only cubic zirconium they mine, so I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Ah, that Captain Oblivious. Dashing people's dreams since 1974.

This was the first time I'd actually set foot in the New Fantasyland and I must admit, I was pretty much in Heaven. What a spectacular job they did, IMHO!

I agree! It was really cool.

(Who doesn't want to take a leak with strands of glowing lanterns to add to the ambiance?)

Well, if the choice is that or take a leak WITHOUT strands of glowing lanterns, it really isn't much of a choice.

This one caught my eye. Nice shot.

One simply does not go the Mickey's Scary Party without a spin with the 999 Ghosts.

@pkondz wholeheartedly agrees.

Clearly, hardware has little to do with getting a great shot, if the user has no idea what they are doing. 99% was a total fail. I now completely understand the haunted part of Haunted Mansion. Dark shots are just... hard. And even more so when you are moving.

Yeah. That's a tough one, I don't care who you are.

He gave me a quick tour of it's features and then proceeded to ask me to give me my disk and that he would teach me how to navigate and use LR. Uhhh, REALLY!? Ok!

Wow! Best seatmate ever!

Mine had become "everyone's" and was more often than not being used as the "homework computer". Not ok. NOT. O.K!

So annoying. We are actually getting a new laptop for Christmas and have already instituted the rule: this belongs to mommy and daddy!

What could possibly be creepier than a ride filled with drunk, out-of-control men selling women and waterboarding the town mayor?

Good ol'-fashioned Disney family fun!

Disturbing. And yet my favorite scene. She's a sexy redhead. What can I say?

Nothing disturbing about a sexy redhead.

I was so gratified that the movie kept in so many references to the ride.

Ladies, you are welcome. Just making sure, ALL of my readers get a little somethin'.

Sorry, I didn't get past the redhead.

Going to Disney resorts is obviously pretty high up on the list of destinations. Let's begin then, with a quick little jaunt to DLR in.....say.... March.

Oh man, now I'm jealous.

Planning on a little time at DTD, hit up the parks for a couple of days, and spend some time visiting with Alison and Fran. (Hi, @franandaj !!) The other for sure player in this is @pkondz and I do believe that @queenbetsey will try to make it out as well.

Now I'm REALLY jealous!

The last week of March is set aside to take a trip to visit some of the last remaining family that I have down in SoCal, and then hang around DLR doing all kinds of wonderful and fun things. Planning on a little time at DTD, hit up the parks for a couple of days, and spend some time visiting with Alison and Fran. (Hi, @franandaj !!) The other for sure player in this is @pkondz and I do believe that @queenbetsey will try to make it out as well.

How fun does that sound! Would love to jump on that bandwagon.

Lady Carlotta was in fine form that evening!
She was the one person I missed that I had wanted to watch...

"The last week of March is set aside to take a trip to visit some of the last remaining family that I have down in SoCal, and then hang around DLR doing all kinds of wonderful and fun things."

The end of March? We may overlap again! :woohoo: Only I'll be East Coast again. :rolleyes: Ryne and I are going back to WDW March 28 for a week for Flower and Garden festival. :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter