ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

I'll tell a story in a little bit about climbing palms....

Ok, @franandaj , here is that story about palms and climbing. When I was in... ohhh, maybe 8th grade or so, we'd moved to a pretty swanky place on "The Hill". There were 2 very tall palms in the front yard and my dad had hired a guy to do some yard work around the place. He was not a very bright guy in the first place. But one particular day, he came over to pick up a work check and showed up a bit... tipsy. Now, we all know cats like to climb trees. Some are really stupid cats and like to climb really, really tall trees that they can't get out of. Enter the very tall palm in the front yard.

"Meoooow... Meooooooooooooooooooooow! Meow!"

This guy all of a sudden says, "Hey, I can get that cat out. Watch this!"

We've all heard this before, no?

Before my dad got his wits about him enough to say no, up he started to go. He gets about halfway up...

You see where this is going, right?

...ohhhh about 30 feet?

And

WHAM!!!

He falls 30 feet out of the tree, (yes, the whole family was out there watching by now, including myself) and lands on his arm/side HARD! SNAP!

That arm was a monstrous deformity, and off to the hospital he went.

Moral of the story: !) Cats ain't worth that, and 2) Never let drunk guys climb your trees.

Enjoyed the H update. Just love FantasyLand too. Is there a coolest rest room award?

Thanks, Polly! It's definitely very pretty in that area. I love the soft lighting and landscaping. HAHA! I don't know, but @Poolrat sure could tell you!

Just love the MNSSHP we have done this countless times never grows old. Adore the HM any day or night but on party night it is awseome. Great photos.

I think I'd definitely spring for it again. Not for the whole family, but for myself on a solo trip. HM is just a must-do for me every single trip. Sometimes multiple times. Love it!

That was neat sitting next to that nice guy on the plane.

He was so very kind! I still can't believe he took time out of his own work to help me out like that!

How lovely your trip in March!

I am sooooooooooo super excited!! Fun people and some very fun things planned.

I always struggle with that when writing TR's--why does anyone care about this? And yet, we're your friends, so...we do.

Well, I know I read yours because yours is actually worth reading. Well, ok, and because I kinda think your family is rather special too. Fine, you go to cool places too.

Ah, that Captain Oblivious. Dashing people's dreams since 1974.

You make me feel old. Thank you for that.

Well, if the choice is that or take a leak WITHOUT strands of glowing lanterns, it really isn't much of a choice.

Aesthetics in all things.

This one caught my eye. Nice shot.

Thanks! I liked it too. That whole area is pretty photogenic.

@pkondz wholeheartedly agrees.

::yes::::yes::

Yeah. That's a tough one, I don't care who you are.

::yes::::yes:: I tried. Even got it off of Auto Mode as well. So there is that.

So annoying. We are actually getting a new laptop for Christmas and have already instituted the rule: this belongs to mommy and daddy!

GOOD for you!!!

I highly recommend the Admin Lock feature.

Good ol'-fashioned Disney family fun!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Nothing disturbing about a sexy redhead.

Thanks!

Oh, wait... her.

I was so gratified that the movie kept in so many references to the ride.

Me too. Totally made up for Orlando's... acting.

Sorry, I didn't get past the redhead.

You should have used your elbow and shoved her out of the way then.

Oh man, now I'm jealous.

Never too late to join...

Now I'm REALLY jealous!

REALLY!

How fun does that sound! Would love to jump on that bandwagon.

You would certainly be a welcome addition!!

She was the one person I missed that I had wanted to watch...

Well, shoot!!! Totally worth it. Soooo funny!

"The last week of March is set aside to take a trip to visit some of the last remaining family that I have down in SoCal, and then hang around DLR doing all kinds of wonderful and fun things."

The end of March? We may overlap again! :woohoo: Only I'll be East Coast again. :rolleyes: Ryne and I are going back to WDW March 28 for a week for Flower and Garden festival. :flower1:

Poop, Tanya! You were totally fun to hang out with! Ryne too. I do think the next time I head to WDW will be for a F&G Fest. Lovely time to be there.

Moral of the story: !) Cats ain't worth that, and 2) Never let drunk guys climb your trees.

Ouch! I don't even want to think about that!

My cats never climb that high. I do have a fern that is taller than the roof and Milo did climb it once and got up on the roof, but it is was his responsibility to get back down.

If you look at the picture of my house from Google images, you'll see one palm tree that sticks up higher than all the others. We get our trees trimmed once a year (luckily I was in Alaska when they did it this last time), but the guy shimmies up the tree (not drunk) with a waist band sort of thing and when he gets to the top he somehow hooks himself up there. The first time he did it, I couldn't even watch. I have a terrible fear of heights and can't walk to the very edges of canyons without getting dizzy.

After a spectacular beginning to our evening of spooky fun, it was time to take advantage of mostly empty ride queues.

This is a perk... but it's lower down on my list.
Before that, I'd list (in no particular order) the parade, the fireworks, the ambiance, the trick-or-treating, the costumes both CM and guest.

How many of you really give a crap?

:wave:

Yeah, thought so. ;)

You thought everyone? Wow! You're smart!

Still haven't heard anything back, but am starting to wonder if the job announcement originated out of Nigeria.

Then it's legit. I know. I'm getting a bucket of money from there pretty soon.

Besides, someone (thanks, @Captain_Oblivious )pointed out that it was actually only cubic zirconium they mine, so I'm having 2nd thoughts.

If you have enough of it, it's worth money too, you know.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Dwarf Boys.

:laughing:

This was the first time I'd actually set foot in the New Fantasyland

I keep forgetting that it was a while since you were there last.

I'd heard from multiple sources about the Tangled Tinkle Area, and no, it did not disappoint. Simply endearing.

Only a DISer says that a bathroom is endearing.
Only a DISer gets that she's right.

(Who doesn't want to take a leak with strands of glowing lanterns to add to the ambiance?)

That's called an outhouse in some parts.

So much so, that I stopped to smell the roses, figuratively speaking.

Good! Because there's a whole lot of roses in MK, especially at a MNSSHP.

The sky was perfectly cooperating

Oh, sure. Rub it in.

I really don't have a clever narrative for this Chapter, we just ambled along with only one Must-do on the agenda.

Ambling is just fine.
I enjoyed ambling along with you, courtesy of your photography.

I'm sure you can guess what that was as we move through next little while.

I know what it should be. Glad I was right.

And now, sit back and enjoy a few photos of our ambling:

I did! Thanks!

Like Mark, that one caught my eye. Very nice.

One simply does not go the Mickey's Scary Party without a spin with the 999 Ghosts.

Correct. Period.

(Just for a day, I'd sure love to be #1,000.)

Do you have to be dead? 'Cause coming back after a day might be problematic.

We sauntered up to the line and surprisingly, it wasn't even too terribly long. Maybe 20 minutes; not too shabby for this evening's E ticket ride, no?

Not bad.

If you have never sprung for the scary price of the party, it is absolutely worth it just once. Well, maybe twice, but I'd only do it again if I were paying for myself and not other family.

Agree. Completely.
First time with family. Second time without. Second time was cheaper.

The lighting and effects alone are amazing! The background music adds to the quirky and whimsical spookiness, as well as the costuming choices for the CMs... the guests' costumes notwithstanding add to the fun atmosphere.

::yes::

We never saw one meltdown or bad behavior; maybe the extra cost helped everyone there realize that it was just far too expensive an evening to mess around with bad attitudes.

I didn't either. I think everyone's just too busy having a great time.

Clearly, hardware has little to do with getting a great shot, if the user has no idea what they are doing. 99% was a total fail.

HM is notoriously difficult. Don't feel bad.

Dark shots are just... hard.

Yup. They are.

And even more so when you are moving.

Any decent shot from HM is from a stationary platform. I'm sure of it.

So were you "Yay! A hand for scale!" or were you "Would you move your stupid hand!"?

I REALLY wish this one had turned out. Makes me sad, because they are both posed to well.

Too bad. But tough at night.

Grainy and crappy, but creepy.

Grainy adds to the creepy. I approve.

The next 2 actually thrill me. I tried really hard for these shots and had to let a ton of people by us so I could stop and try.

Those are great! If you don't mind, I just might steal that idea, next time I'm down.

Love that one. LR, you say? Hmmm....

Remember we had gone to the Keys after Disney portion of this trip? I know, I know, a million years ago now, but...

I remember.

I ended up sitting next to a REALLY nice guy, maybe 35 or so

Hello! Liesa's got a new boyfriend!

He leans over and exclaims, "Oh! You're a photog too! Lemme see your work!".

Really? Wow. I'd never do that. I'd be peeking out from the corner of my eye trying to see. :laughing:
He's braver than I am.

he would teach me how to navigate and use LR. Uhhh, REALLY!? Ok!

No way! Good choice in boyfriend, girl!

We chose a photo to start with one of the fireworks shots from the Party, and he proceeded to spend the next few hours coaching me through the editing process.

Cool! And... hours?!?!? That is a nice guy! Holy crap!

Be sure to point out that particular photo when you post it.

Seriously, a truly enjoyable flight cut all too short by reaching our destination.

Sounds like. Nice.

I also knew that I desperately needed a new laptop (not just a new one, but an additional one. Mine had become "everyone's" and was more often than not being used as the "homework computer". Not ok. NOT. O.K!)

:laughing: Tell us how you really feel!

They look..... haunted.

The obligatory photo by the horseless carriage.

With Mme. Carlotta in the background? Are you kidding me???

minutes before she had to disapparate for the night. Sad, I could have listened to her jokes about the University of Alabama all night long.

While I did get a photo with her, I didn't get to hear our spiel like we did last time. She's great, isn't she?

These two photos?

:worship:
And totally jealous! Much better than anything I've got! (Love the vignetting on the 2nd one.)

What could possibly be creepier than a ride filled with drunk, out-of-control men selling women and waterboarding the town mayor?

:lmao:

Again... dark ride. Moving boat. Noob photog.

Again. Tough one.

Disturbing. And yet my favorite scene. She's a sexy redhead. What can I say?

Nothing hotter than a red head. What can I say.

Oh, that mannequin is okay, too.

Nice shots. The boat slows down just enough there, doesn't it?

As a kid, I'd always hoped these 3 could snag the dog and break out to cause more mayhem. As an adult, I'm not so sure anymore. Although, I don't doubt they'd have been an awful lot of fun to have around as I worked my way from A-Z. Or not.

:laughing:

Ladies, you are welcome. Just making sure, ALL of my readers get a little somethin'.

So, you ladies have a thing for gold and jewels, huh?

Before we have a bit more ride action though, we have Party events to attend!!! 3 in fact!!!

Looking forward to that! My party events totaled.... 1. And I didn't even bother mentioning it in my TR.

Stick around, if you dare!

Oooh.... scary. Think I will, though.

@franandaj Beautiful!

With working nearly full time in a profession I've worked hard at learning, and earning a decent hourly wage now, it's time to reap the benefits.

::yes:: I keep saying to people "Work to live, don't live to work."

As always, I'm super pumped to meet new DISsers and enjoy their company.

::yes:: Me too!

Sometimes, you know you just "click". I sure enjoyed the time I got with Fran and Alison in October!

And I can't wait to meet you and them!

Wait?! Are you?

No. But Elle thinks she might be.

Totally! Wouldn't have been as fun without adding that to the night!

::yes::

Smart and savvy Party Goers go in October, not September. ;)

Oh, shush, you. You know I couldn't.

Long story, or short?? I can give either version....

Long. Sounds intriguing.

A little bit of both. She was being a little sulky as we were hungry and it was towards the end of the night when I got this one. She was not really paying attention, but when I started clicking, she turned. I told her to stop, and keep playing with her hair. It worked.

Love it when that happens.

You have NO idea! So good!

Okay! Hopefully I can remember to put it on the list.
The list is at work.
So I'll probably forget. :sad2:

They destroyed them when they went to the whole wheat bun a few years back. I may never forgive them.

The wrath of Liesa.

But... were you being naughty? Stop evading the question.

Nope. Not at all. She was an evil old hag. Being a nun does not mean you're going to Heaven. Just saying. She terrorized the entire class.

It is possible. The load on top might make up for the lack of delicious (non crumbling) bun.

Hmmm..... might...... I'm gonna go with.... no. The bun's part of the package.

Yes, but those are not a 7 for 1. Plus, I have never seen whatever movie Jack Skellington is even in. So he, they, were off the list. We did get one more character photo during the night coming up later.

Oh, you did? Interested to see whom that might be.

No, but I've been known to steal one or two. Eh hem.

eep!

Now that we have that established, you can be assured of your heart's safety. You are welcome.

Phew! Dodged a bullet there, it seems.

Still trying to guard your heart? Queen and mirror and all....

Dang it!!

These things take time. (I may have to resort to bribery.)

Well, if you'd picked up the pail that Narcolepsy Boy had dropped...

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:NEITHER CAN I!!!!! :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

:laughing: Okay! Okay! Soon!!

I always struggle with that when writing TR's--why does anyone care about this? And yet, we're your friends, so...we do.

Well said, @Captain_Oblivious

Ah, that Captain Oblivious. Dashing people's dreams since 1974.

:lmao:

@pkondz wholeheartedly agrees.

Indeed!

Ok, @franandaj , here is that story about palms and climbing. When I was in... ohhh, maybe 8th grade or so, we'd moved to a pretty swanky place on "The Hill". There were 2 very tall palms in the front yard and my dad had hired a guy to do some yard work around the place. He was not a very bright guy in the first place. But one particular day, he came over to pick up a work check and showed up a bit... tipsy. Now, we all know cats like to climb trees. Some are really stupid cats and like to climb really, really tall trees that they can't get out of. Enter the very tall palm in the front yard.

"Meoooow... Meooooooooooooooooooooow! Meow!"

This guy all of a sudden says, "Hey, I can get that cat out. Watch this!"

We've all heard this before, no?

Before my dad got his wits about him enough to say no, up he started to go. He gets about halfway up...

You see where this is going, right?

...ohhhh about 30 feet?

And

WHAM!!!

He falls 30 feet out of the tree, (yes, the whole family was out there watching by now, including myself) and lands on his arm/side HARD! SNAP!

That arm was a monstrous deformity, and off to the hospital he went.

:lmao: Thanks for sharing that!

It just so happens that there is also a small gathering in the works while I'm there. And since at least one of the others has announced the trip and invited others, I shall too. The last week of March is set aside to take a trip to visit some of the last remaining family that I have down in SoCal, and then hang around DLR doing all kinds of wonderful and fun things.

Welp - that was the week that we could maybe, possibly end up in Oregon. So, even if we manage to fit it into the budget, I guess we won't be seeing you! The only way I could *possibly* end up in DLR in 2017 is if dd makes it to Worlds. Which will be in Anaheim. In August. Probably after both kids start school, if they stay to their usual schedule. Which means that we probably wouldn't take the extra time, even if she makes it. But, hey, have fun without me...

Wait! Hold the phone!!

No dates have been set, so this could still happen. Details should start coming together just after Christmas....

If I am NOT in Anaheim, you are SO coming over!!

Well, I know I read yours because yours is actually worth reading. Well, ok, and because I kinda think your family is rather special too. Fine, you go to cool places too.

Hey, thanks! You're right, my family is pretty special. I'm special in a different way.

You make me feel old. Thank you for that.

See? Still doing it.

Thanks!

Oh, wait... her.

Well, you're married and all.

You should have used your elbow and shoved her out of the way then.

:rotfl2:

Screenshotting this. It doesn't get stated often.

Uh....SQUIRREL! :squirrel:

squirrel-up-dog-gif_zpsg4zogmif.gif

This is a perk... but it's lower down on my list.
Before that, I'd list (in no particular order) the parade, the fireworks, the ambiance, the trick-or-treating, the costumes both CM and guest.

Oh, it was definitely not our top priority, or even close to it. But on the list of things we wanted to do nonetheless. Fireworks, Villians Show, Parade, in that order were way higher up.

Then it's legit. I know. I'm getting a bucket of money from there pretty soon.

Well, you let me know when you get it, and I'll let you know when I get my job offer.

If you have enough of it, it's worth money too, you know.

My house ain't nearly big enough for what it'd take to buy Disney.

Only a DISer says that a bathroom is endearing.
Only a DISer gets that she's right.

Then, I'm in the right place!

That's called an outhouse in some parts.

Well, crap (no pun intended) that was what was wrong with mine in Crapistan.

Oh, sure. Rub it in.

Did I mention the clouds were stunning that night?

I know what it should be. Glad I was right.

YAY! We agree on something! (7 Dwarves FTW!)

Like Mark, that one caught my eye. Very nice.

Thank you, Sir.

Do you have to be dead? 'Cause coming back after a day might be problematic.

There are days I feel like I've come back from the dead.

Any decent shot from HM is from a stationary platform. I'm sure of it.

You are probably right. And then there's yours. :rolleyes:

So were you "Yay! A hand for scale!" or were you "Would you move your stupid hand!"?

I will let you guess first.

Those are great! If you don't mind, I just might steal that idea, next time I'm down.

Feel free! I've always had a little soft spot for Disney light fixtures. So...

Hello! Liesa's got a new boyfriend!

Yes, and he's 2/3 my age. Cucu-cachoo Mrs. Robinson...

:rolleyes2

Really? Wow. I'd never do that. I'd be peeking out from the corner of my eye trying to see. :laughing:
He's braver than I am.

I"m really glad he did! I now have a spiffy new toy to play with and am past the basics already. :yay:

No way! Good choice in boyfriend, girl!

I have extremely discriminating taste.

Be sure to point out that particular photo when you post it.

Oh most definitely! We started with one of the best Fireworks ones to start with- we just made it even better.

They look..... haunted.

I know! Wish it'd been clearer and then I could have added a softening filter (post-processing) or something.

With Mme. Carlotta in the background? Are you kidding me???

:D

While I did get a photo with her, I didn't get to hear our spiel like we did last time. She's great, isn't she?

I could have listened to her all night. Well, most of the night. Didn't want to miss the other stuff though.

These two photos?

:worship:
And totally jealous! Much better than anything I've got! (Love the vignetting on the 2nd one.)

Thanks! I usually say the same thing about yours, but 1,000 times more often.

Nothing hotter than a red head. What can I say.

Ariel, this chick... hmmmm... yes, I see a pattern here.

Nice shots. The boat slows down just enough there, doesn't it?

Yes, usually AFTER it slams into the boat ahead of yours.

So, you ladies have a thing for gold and jewels, huh?

I've heard that's a truism. Others have a penchant for men who stink, have rotten teeth and are drunk a fair amount of the time. I suppose if he has rooms full of gold and jewels a lot could be overlooked.

And I can't wait to meet you and them!

:goodvibes

Oh, shush, you. You know I couldn't.

Seems as if this travesty has been rectified.

Okay! Hopefully I can remember to put it on the list.
The list is at work.
So I'll probably forget. :sad2:

How could you forget about golden, crispy on the outside, soft and sweet-ish cornbreaded savory little hot doggies?!

The wrath of Liesa.

You've been warned. ;)

Nope. Not at all. She was an evil old hag. Being a nun does not mean you're going to Heaven. Just saying. She terrorized the entire class.

Yikes. That just doesn't sound pleasant at all!

Oh, you did? Interested to see whom that might be.

I don't think it's an all that special one, but it was a fun photo.

Well, if you'd picked up the pail that Narcolepsy Boy had dropped...

Well, crap. I blew my chance at being able to pay my taxes this year AND have a vacation.

:laughing: Okay! Okay! Soon!!

No hurry, March is still a way's away. You're busy; I'm busy; Alison's going out of town... solid plans can wait.

:lmao: Thanks for sharing that!

You're welcome. I'll be here all week.

Hey, thanks! You're right, my family is pretty special. I'm special in a different way.

Doofus.

See? Still doing it.

:rotfl2:

Well, you're married and all.

Details, details. :rolleyes:

jk/jk!!

So are you.

:rolleyes1

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Nicely done!

All caught up !!!!!

I do love the MNSSHP and you made great work with the ride rounds. Your costume as well as the kids were spot on and so much fun.

I am looking forward to spending more time around here!!!

Why hello! Yeah, I'm on vacation and was talking to another old DIS friend and neither of us had been on in a loooooong time so I thought I'd stop in and see what's goin on!

just popping in to say hello and say miss ya!!!!!!
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!

Just tickled you came over there to say hi!! We've all missed your fun presence around here so much! I've so many times wondered how you are, and every time I get one of your real newsletters it's like catching up with an old friend.

Tell us, Jordy.... really, how are you? Hope you are well and still happy in Kentucky. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter