Stroller Dilemma

matt1979

Mouseketeer
my wife and I can decide on what to do regarding stroller rental. Our youngest just turned 5...so my arguement is that it he's not gonna want to be in it all day, so why not just go with the Disney stroller. Added benefit that we don't have to lug it on the bus and just way more convenient. We also have an issue that on our first day, we're driving first thing in the morning from Tampa and going direct to AK, so we won't be able to pick it up at the resort that day. My wife originally was okay with the Disney rental...but after reading some is concerned about comfort, the ease of pushing a Disney stroller (concerned it will be like a shopping cart), and not having a spot to store bags/water bottles, etc. for me, having to do an outside rental is just one more thing to worry about coordinating, looking after in the park, and hassling with on the bus. Any thoughts to help us make a decision? Cost really NOT a factor in our decision FWIW.

Have you been to Disney recently. I only ask because my then 2.5yo didn't want anything to do with a stroller. It didn't slow us down at all and were able to walk the way around Epcot and World Showcase. We didn't carry her at all. All kids are different but maybe don't rent one until you really need one. Maybe you won't need one at all.

We have a different experience. My DD loved her stroller well past 5.

If you're worried about dealing with a stroller on the busses I would simply rent one in the parks.

ETA: By the time my DD was 5 we would usually just use the stroller for evenings. Our touring style was to get out early and come home for a rest and then go back out in the evening. She would skip the stroller in the morning and then fall asleep in it later that night because she refused to nap when we went back to the room even though her father and I did. We would use it all day at Epoct because it's so big and we would also use it at Animal Kingdom for the same reason. I think the last time we used a stroller was when she was about 7 and we had one for New Year's Eve at Epcot. By then we stopped bringing our own but I do vividly remember having to go out and buy an umbrella stroller at Babies R Us in Tampa (we were there visiting family) for about $20 the winter after she turned 6. It was a good choice, BTW.

Last edited:
You can always rent the Disney stroller for the first day and if it is terrible, schedule rental from an outside place. We have used Orlando Stroller Rental twice and loved it. I didn't have to much trouble with the stroller on the bus and we had the double both times. If you are going to want a stroller at all, AK is definitely a place to want it. That is the park with the most walking.

I'd rent one from an outside vendor. For the first day you may not need it since it's not a full day and you can always rent one at the park if needed. It's not the most comfortable or easiest to push but just for that afternoon will be fine, then you'll have the better stroller for the remainder of the trip.

I was 30, got wife to push me in the stroller. I view strollers like life perseveres for a boat. They are a pain in the but when you dont need them , but awesome when you do. or when you kids has a melt down or needs to naps. If the kiddos are non stroller now, I think you may be able to go with out. If still using, plan on having on.

I say rent a real stroller. It's more affordable and certainly more comfortable. I wouldn't worry that much about lugging it on the bus, it's an inconvenience for a few minutes that makes the rest of your day MUCH better. Plus most of the ones the rental companies use fold up really well. I was lugging around a Goliath of a stroller that didn't fold well and was still happy we had it.

Can't remember at what age we STOPPED bringing strollers to WDW.. but boy was that a relief! We had 2 (twins) but always brought our own and at one time it was a big double decker similar to what you rent at Disney. They are a pain and there is simply no way around it but if it were just 1 (5 year old), i would opt to bring my own umbrella stroller..

Last edited:
For our older girls, we stopped using strollers when they were 4. That being said, we have a 2 yr old DS now, so have been bringing strollers again and our 10 yr old DD (who is super tiny) has no issue hopping in it for a ride when DS wants to get out and stretch, LOL.

Either grab a small collapsible umbrella stroller at home or rent a WDW one if you need it. Many times they are not needed, but it sure is nice when you do.

We brought an easy fold umbrella for our 5 yo last time.

I liked bringing it, as sometimes she fell asleep on the bus and i liked that we could sit her in the umbrella once we got off and casually stroll to the room, rather than wake her up and have a sad grump or carry her all the way to the room. Or, if she didn't fall sleep, we could put our backpack/cross body bags on it for a break.

I would say that, overall, renting has benefits that may outweigh the "one more thing" to schedule pain.

We usually use it through age 5. At age 6 we have them walk. As a mother of 4, I am anxious for the day when we are stroller-less! But it is also nice to throw all your stuff in! We have always rented off-site for the duration of the stay.

We went in September with our son, 4, and daughter, 2 1/2. We brought 2 strollers with us, our quick-folding Britax and an umbrella stroller. Our son didn't always want to use it, but he did fall asleep in it one day, which allowed us to shop the stores in MK without him trying to grab or ask for everything he saw. It was also very nice to have the space underneath to store stuff or just throw stuff in there when one was empty. We chose to bring our own to save money and because we could use them in the airport, etc., and there was no charge to bring them on the plane. We're planning a trip for this coming September, and we will probably bring 2 strollers with us again.

I'm not bringing or renting a stroller in advance for our trip this summer. My youngest will only be 4, but she's refused to use a stroller at home since this past summer (she says they're for babies) and we live in NYC so she does a lot of walking on a daily basis. If she gets really tired I'll rent one in the park to get her through the rest of the day. My older DD rode in the stroller a good amount when she was 5 (16month old was in a carrier a lot that trip), but the younger one is a different animal.

my wife and I can decide on what to do regarding stroller rental. Our youngest just turned 5...so my arguement is that it he's not gonna want to be in it all day, so why not just go with the Disney stroller. Added benefit that we don't have to lug it on the bus and just way more convenient. We also have an issue that on our first day, we're driving first thing in the morning from Tampa and going direct to AK, so we won't be able to pick it up at the resort that day. My wife originally was okay with the Disney rental...but after reading some is concerned about comfort, the ease of pushing a Disney stroller (concerned it will be like a shopping cart), and not having a spot to store bags/water bottles, etc. for me, having to do an outside rental is just one more thing to worry about coordinating, looking after in the park, and hassling with on the bus. Any thoughts to help us make a decision? Cost really NOT a factor in our decision FWIW.
one thing to remember the park rental has to be left before you go out gates. at the end of day when your child is tired you will leave stroller as you leave and still have the walk and then the standing waiting for the tram or walking to your car. in August we rented offsite for 2 granddaughters including a 4.5 year old. we used Disney transportation when we got on buses daughter got on with girls, we followed with son in law bringing up rear. where possible they headed to the back of bus per 4.5 year old request and we sat at front and held stroller. on way off SIL picked up stroller as they got off and we followed off bus. worked well for us. park strollers would not have worked with infant that second granddaughter was.

If you are driving, it might be easier and more convenient to just bring one with you from home (borrow if you don't still own).

When DS was 5, we just rented a Disney one on a couple of the days when he got tired. Most of the time, he wanted to be up and walking and seeing everything.

My kids would've loved strollers well past the age of 7 if they could've gotten away with it. These are very active kids - their favorite family activity is to take a family walk around our neighborhood, which is about 3 miles, but Disney drains everyone! We walk anywhere from 10-15 miles a day (according to my Fitbit) so I don't blame them. There are days I wouldn't mind a stroller!

If you are driving, it might be easier and more convenient to just bring one with you from home (borrow if you don't still own).

To be clear...flying to Tampa to stay with family a couple days...then driving to Orlando. We actually don't have a stroller at home anymore, one of the other reasons I wonder how much our 5yo is even going to want it...he's gotten pretty used to walking everywhere the last year or so. Also don't expect him to nap, so comfort really not a big deal either. Now our 8yo...he'll probably try to weasel himself into being pushed around as much as possible, so having a less comfortable option may keep him on his feet more. So I think we've just decided to rent a WDW stroller as needed. We really just think there's going to be a lot of times when it'll be more of a hassle to be worried about and keeping track of an off-site rental for what may be relatively limited use. My wife is looking into something to hang on the back of a stroller that might hold a few water bottles/mugs...but can also collapse into our backpacks when we're stroller free.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

For a 5 year old, I think a Disney stroller would be fine (I wouldn't do a Disney one for any age younger though for more than a day for the comfort etc., but I think at 5 it shouldn't be a big deal) and not having to lug it to/from the resort will be ncie. I'm a huge supporter of bringing your own stroller for comfort and convenience when they're younger, however once they hit 5, it's just not really needed anymore. When my dd was 5, we rented one at MK and Epcot and it worked out well. There's a good chance you won't need one at DHS and depending on your touring style possibly not AK (it's a half day park for us).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter