Strategies to Survive during the HOT HOT Summer...

We use Frogg Toggs last summer on our trip with our nieces ages 10, 9, and 8. LOVED THEM!

We purchased different colors for easy differentiation on the go. I would rinse out the sweat from the day each evening and hang to dry in the open air to prevent mustiness. Then each morning I would wet and ring each towel, place it into a fresh ziplock bag ( fresh bags to prevent mustiness) and then put all into my backpack. I could distribute as needed if waiting in the sun or the heat was getting to us without having to detour to a bathroom sink. If we used them to the point of drying out, I did I find a sink or use a cup of ice water to re-wet them as needed.

We were at WDW the first week of August and on the go all the time. These really helped us deal with the heat ☀️

Perfect!!
Thank you :flower:

So true. I found myself hunting around for this on our March trip and it wasn't that hot. They sell travel sizes of Gold Bond at Target.

As a previous poster mentioned, make sure that you do NOT buy the medicated Gold Bond Powder though. :furious: I just checked the travel size in my hubby's travel kit and it's medicated! YIKES! bad wife bad wife bad wife.:sad2:

Can anyone recommend an electrolyte that isn't flavored? Can't stand the flavor of things like Gatorade/PowerAde etc, plus would prefer without sugar. There are loads of electrolyte tablets listed online, but no clue how to tell a good from a bad.
Even in florida heat you may not want to down electrolyte laden drinks. Most people get more than enough in food. Adding these drinks or tablets is crazy amount of sodium (salt), which most people probably dont need even when they are in the heat and sweating. They can increase blood pressure. and as you noted usually contain tons of sugar or artificial sweetener. You are better off with lots of water and a banana or cantaloupe to replace potassium. Many professional/elite athletes are actually reducing the gatorade drinks and adding more water and whole foods (despite what the advertising is letting you believe).

One thing that really makes hot days enjoyable is a positive attitude. If you think that you are going to be uncomfortable, you will be. If you think to yourself things like, "This is really awesome!" or "What a great day!" you will find that the heat will not have the same effect.

Also, acclimatize as much as you can before your first park day. Do this by walking on asphalt (side streets) in the heat of the day in the weeks leading up to your trip. We work up to 5 mile walks during the summer heat to get ready for our September trips. It makes a huge difference. Our entire bodies, including legs and feet, get used to the conditions found at WDW.

One thing that really makes hot days enjoyable is a positive attitude. If you think that you are going to be uncomfortable, you will be. If you think to yourself things like, "This is really awesome!" or "What a great day!" you will find that the heat will not have the same effect.

Also, acclimatize as much as you can before your first park day. Do this by walking on asphalt (side streets) in the heat of the day in the weeks leading up to your trip. We work up to 5 mile walks during the summer heat to get ready for our September trips. It makes a huge difference. Our entire bodies, including legs and feet, get used to the conditions found at WDW.

We have been trying to "train" for our trip by walking the neighborhood and we are wearing the same shoes we plan on wearing while there. We have been having lots of rain, so it's been tough to do in recent weeks.

LOL Hard to do when your summer temps are struggling to get above 75. We are here now and literally streaming sweat standing still - in the evening. We stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of water, avoid heavy foods and take lots of cool breaks, as well as hitting the pool midday or even in the later evenings. We just came from the pool.

LOL Hard to do when your summer temps are struggling to get above 75. We are here now and literally streaming sweat standing still - in the evening. We stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of water, avoid heavy foods and take lots of cool breaks, as well as hitting the pool midday or even in the later evenings. We just came from the pool.
For our trips in January, we face the same struggle. It is very cold here before the trips to WDW, and the temps in FL can reach well into the 80s while we are there. But we are able to prepare for our Sept trips. Sorry to hear that you are not, but maybe that is a good thing for you if you don't enjoy the hot weather.

Again - the main thing that makes a difference is your mental approach. Your mind is a powerful thing.

We're running into the same problem in OH. We finally had temps in the high 80s this weekend for the first time all summer and it was rough! And I know it will only be worse in FL when we get there next month. We were counting on typical summer weather to acclimate ourselves a bit before the trip, but it isn't happening. We're back down to mid 70s after today.

I was thinking about this more (as we are going through a tiny heat wave here in NJ :) )...I think the main thing is to make sure you are getting into AC for a good bit every period of time (every hour or so). I was at a family party and it was fine as long as I went in the house every hour or so for ten minutes to bring my body temp back down.

I was just looking at our touring plans for August and I can see that I haven't built in enough of those types of attractions because I want to maximize our rides. So now I need to go back and stick in those things (CBJ, Tiki etc) and make sure we make time for them.

Lots of great tips in this thread - thank you!

Not sure if this will help anyone looking for clothing ideas, but I recently discovered some awesome bottoms by Columbia and I'm planning to bring them with me on our trip in early September. We've been having weather in the mid-90s with high humidity this week and I have been so comfortable wearing them! The only good thing about this weather is that I'm test-driving all of my clothes and shoes to find the best ones to bring on our trip. :)

The line is the Anytime Outdoor collection. I have the long shorts and the capris and love both of them. Very lightweight and comfortable. And currently on sale!

http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyt...&dwvar_AL4591_variationColor=060#pg=2&start=0

http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyt...ionColor=010&cgid=women-bottoms#pg=3&start=46

Yes, do take a power drink/gatoraide. I live in Florida and hunt in Florida. As hunters we have to go into the woods in the dead summer to scout, set feeders up, cameras, etc... You cannot rely on water alone because as you sweat you also deplete your potassium and other electrolytes. You should drink some kind of drink like gatoraide once for every 2 bottles of water. It is best to get the low sodium ones, but yes you should have them in your arsenal, contrary to what may have been offered.
Additionally remember that a cool rag on the back of the neck and the souls of the feet will cool you off more than any other part of the body.
Also if you freeze water bottles overnight and put them in your backpack(if you are so inclined) they will rest on your spine and cool you for many hours.

Last edited:
We were at WDW from6/29 -7/10 this year and used fro-togg like material every day. On our last day, a cm working a pop/ice cream stand asked for our frog-tog and put it in the ice holding the bottles of pop, wrung it out and gave it to us. It was WONDERFUL!!

Can you cut the bigger frog tog? I think our local store just has the big ones.

I'm actually not too worried since the 92 Florida heat is 10deg cooler than our heat in Texas! BUT it's true - it's not the heat it's the humidity!

Can you cut the bigger frog tog? I think our local store just has the big ones.

I'm actually not too worried since the 92 Florida heat is 10deg cooler than our heat in Texas! BUT it's true - it's not the heat it's the humidity!

Yep you can cut them!

Maybe someone has already said this, and if so, I apologize, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now. I would disagree with the tip about the umbrella. A good poncho will serve you much better. We were on a tour this past Tuesday when a big rain storm blew up. The guide offered us umbrellas which only kept our heads and shoulders dry. Otherwise, we were soaked. The blowing rain doesn't allow much help from an umbrella. Furthermore, in the parks the umbrellas are a little dangerous and you have to really stay on your toes to keep them out of other people's way.

I second the Frogg Toggs and the ponchos. If you purchase your ponchos from Disney they will replace them if they tear. Our DSIL used the Frogg Toggs when in Afghanistan on deployment, all of the military guys request them for the extreme desert climates...they cool you immensely.

Any tips on bringing infants during the summer? DS will be almost a year old and want to make sure we keep him cool and comfortable.

Maybe someone has already said this, and if so, I apologize, but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now. I would disagree with the tip about the umbrella. A good poncho will serve you much better. We were on a tour this past Tuesday when a big rain storm blew up. The guide offered us umbrellas which only kept our heads and shoulders dry. Otherwise, we were soaked. The blowing rain doesn't allow much help from an umbrella. Furthermore, in the parks the umbrellas are a little dangerous and you have to really stay on your toes to keep them out of other people's way.
Just to clarify, the umbrella was for shade on sunny days especially in the wide open non shady parts of Epcot. It was a life-saver to block out the beating sun and I was super grateful for it. There were several people using sun-brellas and it didn't appear to be a hazard at all. I agree that it might be difficult to maneuver around MK with one.

Lots of great tips in this thread - thank you!

Not sure if this will help anyone looking for clothing ideas, but I recently discovered some awesome bottoms by Columbia and I'm planning to bring them with me on our trip in early September. We've been having weather in the mid-90s with high humidity this week and I have been so comfortable wearing them! The only good thing about this weather is that I'm test-driving all of my clothes and shoes to find the best ones to bring on our trip. :)

The line is the Anytime Outdoor collection. I have the long shorts and the capris and love both of them. Very lightweight and comfortable. And currently on sale!

http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyt...&dwvar_AL4591_variationColor=060#pg=2&start=0

http://www.columbia.com/womens-anyt...ionColor=010&cgid=women-bottoms#pg=3&start=46
LOVE everything about these capris and shorts. You were awesome to include the links!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter