Star Wars Weekend Tips 2012

How early is early? I was going to schedule a lunch ADR -- it looks like the parade last year (according to that studiocentrals link above) was at 12:40, so I'm wondering if I should just do a later (1:30ish) lunch vs. an earlier (11:00ish) lunch?

I also plan on trying to sign my older DS up for the Padawan Mind Challenge, but I see the times last year were at 2:10 and 6:30 -- that would interfere with a later lunch if he got in at 2:10. Can you request 6:30? Man, I wasn't expecting it be this hard to plan everything! LOL I'm not going to worry about JTA since they've done that before (although, I'm sure they'd LOVE to fight Darth Maul, but I know there isn't a guarantee of who they'd get).

Speaking of Padawan Mind Challenge . . . what kinds of questions do they ask? My DS knows a lot -- as long as it's not super "geek" adult level trivia, I'm sure he'd do great, but if it's too watered down and easy, he probably wouldn't want to do it.

We had an 11am ADR at 50's Prime Time last year (Sunday of Memorial Day weekend). We were seated almost right away, and thought we could get out by noon, but didn't. We were about 3-4 rows back in front of some of the shops. One thing to check, we found seats at the curb the next Friday about 25 minutes before the parade right where the parade entrance is. You might check that area for some good seats. Seemed like it filled up 10 minutes or so before the parade began. They were great seats with the characters coming out right there!

We didn't do the Mind Challenge so I cannot speak about that.

If you haven't been to the Hyperspace Hoopla, it was great. We got there right as the final Mind Challenge was ending and grabbed a spot. DH went for snacks and we had pretty decent spots. I must warn anyone with young kids, it is really loud the closer you are to the stage. My kids had their hands over their ears the entire time. I also read in another thread that if you go around to the back of the stage during the Hoopla, that it's a great time to get pics of the characters. Some seem to even pose for pics.

Hope you have a great time. We plan to go back in 2013 during the same time frame. It was great!

We are all really pumped about Star Wars Weekends 2012. We have gone the last 2 years and can't wait to go again. We will be there the the first weekend in June. DW and DS6 are huge Star Wars fans and are already creating their plan of attack. One day for them is going to be completely focused on SWW. The plan is to be there at RD and then go SWW crazy. Meanwhile, myself and DS3 (who like Star Wars, but isn't a fanatic) will enjoy the rest of HS. He likes meeing a few characters and doing a couple things, such as the parade, but would rather go on rides and see shows. Can't wait to see more updates on SWW as they come out.

If the parade is important, I wouldn't try to do a restaurant before the parade - just grab some fast food.

Had friends last week who went to Mama Melrose and didn't get out till over two hours later.

We are not interested in special merchandise or autographs from actors and are not planning to brave the crowds just for the parade, which would probably be the only event we'd be interested in as far as scheduled Star Wars Weekend activities.

Just curious if by chance they do anything more Star Wars related during the week. We have done Jedi Training 3 times now and plan to do that again. Aside from that have you ever seen any characters (like Jedi Mickey etc) out during the week?

They do Jedi Training every day, but I think the special characters are only out on the weekends.

We are not interested in special merchandise or autographs from actors and are not planning to brave the crowds just for the parade, which would probably be the only event we'd be interested in as far as scheduled Star Wars Weekend activities.

Just curious if by chance they do anything more Star Wars related during the week. We have done Jedi Training 3 times now and plan to do that again. Aside from that have you ever seen any characters (like Jedi Mickey etc) out during the week?

They only do the special events (SW Parade, Hyperspace Hoopla, Behind the Force, Stars of the Saga Q & A,Padawan Mind Challenge) during the weekends (Fri. Sat. and Sun.) Also the special merchandise tent and SW characters are only opened during the weekends.
Fun thing about JTA during SWW is that the kids battle not only Darth Vader but Darth Maul/Ventress, and they get a toy at the end.

I really hope to get to experience this. I had been hoping to do this for a few years now, but never had the time. This upcoming year I plan on doing it (especially since the end of the world is happening, I don't want to miss my last chance ;) lol).

If the parade is important, I wouldn't try to do a restaurant before the parade - just grab some fast food.

Had friends last week who went to Mama Melrose and didn't get out till over two hours later.

Here's an SWW tip we use when we go: Have breakfast on the go with something light, hit RD as early as possible, and then get the first lunch reservation at 11am. We are usually ready for a sit-down break at that point after waiting in lines and taking it all in and even if it takes a long time (i.e., 2 hours like PP notes above), you're still out in front of the parade, etc.

The only kink in any of our SWW planning is the timing we get selected for JA. But that's why you should always have a Plan B at WDW!!!

We did MM on a SWW last year after the parade but before Hoopla and the whole experience from walk thru the door to walk back out took almost 3 hours. for 4 of us. We had to skip Hoopla that day b/c we were so far back in the crowd b/c of it. If ANY of the SWW events are important to you I would not plan ADR's that day or plan them very very carefully around the events.

I love 50's PT but hubby hates it. LOL we both aren't fans of Mama Melrose. We booked dinner for Sci-Fi. I am looking forward to trying out that burger with the hot dogs! LOL

We booked dinner for Sci-Fi. I am looking forward to trying out that burger with the hot dogs! LOL

Right there with you. This will be our first time doing Sci-Fi. (Hopefully I can get over the guilt I'm feeling of "cheating" on 50's PTC.)

Right there with you. This will be our first time doing Sci-Fi. (Hopefully I can get over the guilt I'm feeling of "cheating" on 50's PTC.)

We have never been either. It looks really cool in there though. I like the new menu choices better so we thought we would give it a shot. :goodvibes

taking the opportunity to bump up a bit- just moved our trip to June to catch this and very interested in any info/tips as it becomes avail.

Booked the Sci Fi lunch so that's done, working on a prelim plan for the rest of the day.

Thanks!

I can't see us staking out a spot 1 1/2 hours before the parade . . . might have to forego that. Maybe they'll lengthen the route to how it was before and it won't be that bad. The good thing about going the last weekend is I get to hear/learn from everyone else the previous weeks re: their tips.

You don't by chance know if the earlier show was the movies and the later show the Clone Wars or vice-versa, do you? Not that it means that they'll do it the same way this year, just curious.

The later show was about the regular star wars. That's the one my kids did. It was definitely too hard for me to answer and one question stumped my ultra SW geek DH. But my kiddos actually 'won' their mind challenge so it's really all about the luck of which light saber they raise. LOL

This thread is great :thumbsup2

DD and I will be attending our first SWW on 6/9 and 6/10. Unfortunately we wont arrive till late on Friday. I hope we are able to catch the parade, shows and maybe a couple meet and greets.

I already had booked our lunch ADR's for Sat and Sun but after reading this thread I moved our time earlier to 11:00 am first seating so hopefuly we'll have enough time to finish and catch the parade.

We will be in DW the week before the first weekend of SWW. Actually outlast day is the 19th. What are we to expect for crowds that week? Mild at the start and heavier by the end of the week?

From last year's SWW, how fast and slow did the celebrities sign? I know Ashley Eckstein was the slowest. And if I want to get in the parade, do I have to sign up for JTA?

The later show was about the regular star wars. That's the one my kids did. It was definitely too hard for me to answer and one question stumped my ultra SW geek DH. But my kiddos actually 'won' their mind challenge so it's really all about the luck of which light saber they raise. LOL

Good to know -- thanks! My DS would want to participate in the regular/movies PMC (he watches the Clone Wars from time to time, but he knows much more about the movies). I went ahead and made a lunch ADR in the middle of the afternoon, so hopefully, we won't miss anything. It's our first day (we get there the evening before) and our only HS day this trip, so it's going to be a looooooong day! Looking forward to it, though. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter