Someone at WDW stole my Credit card info.

Kerrio929

Mouseketeer
We were there from 11/28-12/4. Right before we left we had our Discover card account number changed. We got our new cards 2 days before we left. Neither of us used them until we were at WDW. Mi was just checking my statement and there are $3500+ worth of charges to various online places. All charges occurred from 11/29-12/5. I disputed them and Discover will reverse the charges but I am so upset. I can't think of how it could've been anyone other than someone at WDW since the cards were brand new! Ugh...

Unfortunately, WDW is a huge tourism destination with tens of thousands of employees and contractors. It stands to reason that occasionally, someone takes advantage of the fact that millions of tourists go through the parks every day.

The "skimming" could have been anywhere -- from your resort to a restaurant, off-property restaurant or store, rental car company, gas station, gift shop ... anything. It happens.

:earsboy:

When making purchases online you need a few things. Of course, the credit card number, the expiration date, the security code, but you also need your billing address and that would be hard for most cast members because that information is only available to a select few.

In these times, most peoples credit card information is not stolen from the actual vendor it is used, but rather through databases. A couple years ago TJ Maxx was hacked and hundreds of thousands of people had their CC stolen, but it wasn't stolen by anyone at TJ Maxx.

There are quite a few possibilities and it isn't necessarily someone at WDW stealing your CC info.

We were there from 11/28-12/4. Right before we left we had our Discover card account number changed. We got our new cards 2 days before we left. Neither of us used them until we were at WDW. Mi was just checking my statement and there are $3500+ worth of charges to various online places. All charges occurred from 11/29-12/5. I disputed them and Discover will reverse the charges but I am so upset. I can't think of how it could've been anyone other than someone at WDW since the cards were brand new! Ugh...

My sister had her credit card scammed on a trip to WDW. It turned out that the rental car place was the source of the illegal charges.

Thankfully, you used your credit card and this is the exact reason my wife and I don't even have debit cards. All we have is credit and ATM cards.

If someone gets your debit card info and makes fraudulent charges, yes, you can dispute the charges but while your dispute is being "investigated", you don't have your money. The MAJOR difference is that you keep your money while you disupte CC charges.

Yes, debit cards are less expensive for the vendor than credit cards, but sorry, I have my money at risk and it just isn't worth it.

LSUfan4444 said:
Thankfully, you used your credit card and this is the exact reason my wife and I don't even have debit cards. All we have is credit and ATM cards.

If someone gets your debit card info and makes fraudulent charges, yes, you can dispute the charges but while your dispute is being "investigated", you don't have your money. The MAJOR difference is that you keep your money while you disupte CC charges.

Yes, debit cards are less expensive for the vendor than credit cards, but sorry, I have my money at risk and it just isn't worth it.

We don't have debit cards either. We use our discover card for just about everything...we earn cash back points that way. I never thought about the reason you posted...another reason not to get them

That depends on the bank. DH's debit card was used and his bank restored the money immediately while the investigation went on. I was pleased and very surprised.

Yeah, I guess I should have worded it a little better. By using debit cards the bank CAN withold your money while you dispute. A credit card cannot withold your money while your transactions are being disputed because it was never actually spent.

Thanks for the clarification.

Two other things to consider . . .it could be someone at the card issuer (just because they work for a financial company doesn't mean they are honest). Or, depending on why you changed the old number, the charges could have been forwarded to the new card when someone used the old one (I have had that happen legitimately).

Not saying it wasn't Disney related, but the odds are pretty much equal that it wasn't. Sorry you had to go through that.

We use debit cards with the Visa logo on them,so I don't know if that's what you consider a debit vs a credit card,but our card info was stolen years ago at a restaurant and the bank put the money right back.Even so today I'm even more careful of who has access to my cards.For example we're going this weekend and I have a totally separate bank account that I just use for things like checking into hotel rooms and other charges that may be risky.I almost never have any money in this account and before I go on the trip I'll put $50-$60 in it for the sole purpose of any hotel fees the hotel may have,I can't imagine the hotel swiping your card info and it just being there for whoever wants to access it.Same thing with restaurant charges,I pretty much pay with cash 90% of the time now.Basically any charge where the card has to leave my sight or info from the card will be saved I either use cash or use that debit card with the separate bank account,the main bank account and debit card are for daily purchases where I just swipe and go.Even putting gas I've switched to cash which is actually better nowadays as many gas stations are giving discounts when paying with cash.We never knew for sure our info was stolen at a restaurant but we narrowed it down there as a few months later that restaurant added card scanner machines that they bring to your table instead of the server taking the card.

I can't think of how it could've been anyone other than someone at WDW since the cards were brand new! Ugh...

My brother had his CC info taken before he had even gotten them. There were fraudulent charges by the time he opened the envelopes.

Personally I think it was connected to your WDW trip. Could be anywhere between home and there. Did you drive? Could be gas station skimmer...convenience store...it's not unusual.

However, OP - are you set up with Discover Card Fraud Alert?

If not, do it!

I have had it for several years and almost every time I am at Disney I get an email or call from them just verifying that my purchase activity is legit. They have even just straight blocked my card...which I just call and have taken care of asap. I love Discover Card for this reason.

What most people dont know is there is an ebay for criminals that buy cc #'s for as little as a few dollars. Cards are compromised all the time and you never know. The bank catches it and corrects without your knowledge.

My brother had his CC info taken before he had even gotten them. There were fraudulent charges by the time he opened the envelopes.

This happened to a friend of mine as well, and she never even GOT the card!!! It was "shipped" according to the CC company, but somehow there were a bunch of charges in Mexico?!?!?

Her CC company took care of it, but it just goes to show, there are other ways of getting CC numbers that are "brand new".

Our debit card info was also stolen last year. It was the bank that actually alerted me and called to see if I had spent any money in California that a.m. (we live in NJ) they immediately put the money back in our account. The bank did tell me that a fraudulent card was actually presented out in California. Creepy that someone was walking around with a card with DH's name on it.

Also, I had my wallet stolen from a Walmart this year with several credit cards, my debit and cash inside. American express was by far the best at taking care of everything, shutting down the card and dismissing all charges. It is the only card I use to travel or make online purchases with.

I'm sure it will be easy for Discover to correct the charges but I know how nerve wracking it can be while you are waiting.

My cc cards have been stolen many times. In the early days of the internet we could always trace it to a certain place, like a hack at amazon about 15 years ago. Once my DH had his stolen at a local restaurant by the waiter. We only knew that one because about a month after his was stolen the place was closed due to the thefts. In the past I had one online use only cc and one for around town. My online cc number was stolen at least once a year for a while. In the beginning days we learned local banks were not so forgiving or easy to deal with so we stopped ever having atm cards.

As the internet has become more secure and technology better my cc number had not been stolen in quite some time. I guess I was due. Chase called me last week and told me. The man in the fraud department said these days they have programs that run numbers until one works. In my case they did a classic $1 charge to see if it worked. Then immediately started charging to online stores. Chase allowed the first but the immediate second one they refused and called me. I had a new number and card within 24hours (on a Saturday).

So to answer the original poster that yes your cc number could have been stolen at WDW. It can happen anywhere. On the other hand it could have just as easily been a computer running numbers.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. At least you got to enjoy your vacation until you got back, it may have added stress if they had just cut the cards off mid trip.

I have 2 checking accounts, 1 normal & 1 vacation acct. Last year both accounts were hit, 6 months apart. I now know I'm going to have a really crummy week when I answer the phone and someone asks if you are on vacation. The first time it was a quick easy fix, money was back in 24 hrs. The second time it took weeks and 3 trips to the police station, I never realized that the police station closes in a small town, sometimes in the middle of the day.

I hope you can resolve your problems with out too much hassle. I think they found out one of my cards was skimmed from a gas station so it may not have been a Disney person who took yours.

When making purchases online you need a few things. Of course, the credit card number, the expiration date, the security code, but you also need your billing address and that would be hard for most cast members because that information is only available to a select few.

It would be available to anyone who has the ability to look up reservations, which would be anyone in the resort and possibly even the restaurants if you're on DDP.

Lehuaann said:
Personally I think it was connected to your WDW trip. Could be anywhere between home and there. Did you drive? Could be gas station skimmer...convenience store...it's not unusual.

However, OP - are you set up with Discover Card Fraud Alert?

If not, do it!

I have had it for several years and almost every time I am at Disney I get an email or call from them just verifying that my purchase activity is legit. They have even just straight blocked my card...which I just call and have taken care of asap. I love Discover Card for this reason.

Yes we do have the fraud alert! I have had my discover card for 14 years and I love it. Great company!

WDSearcher said:
Unfortunately, WDW is a huge tourism destination with tens of thousands of employees and contractors. It stands to reason that occasionally, someone takes advantage of the fact that millions of tourists go through the parks every day.

The "skimming" could have been anywhere -- from your resort to a restaurant, off-property restaurant or store, rental car company, gas station, gift shop ... anything. It happens.

:earsboy:

Unfortunately. :/

I am always trying to figure out the best way to deal with money on vacations. You can't stop all the craziness, but you do the best you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter