Someone at WDW stole my Credit card info.

We use debit cards with the Visa logo on them,so I don't know if that's what you consider a debit vs a credit card,but our card info was stolen years ago at a restaurant and the bank put the money right back.

Yes, any debit card where the money is taken from your account puts your money at risk while charges are being "investigated". Charges with a credit card do not actually cost you money until you pay your bill.

There are some times that some banks will refund your money before a determination is made, but there are other times and banks that won't. Alot depends on the circumstances involved, but by using debit cards, this is a risk you assume that is avoided with credit cards.

Personally I think it was connected to your WDW trip. Could be anywhere between home and there. Did you drive? Could be gas station skimmer...convenience store...it's not unusual.

How would they get his home billing address for the card used to make online purchases?

It would be available to anyone who has the ability to look up reservations, which would be anyone in the resort and possibly even the restaurants if you're on DDP.

That is assuming the home address of the person on the reservation is the billing address of the card holder, which isn't always the case, but yes, anyone who can access reservations would have access to the home address that the person making the reservation gave WDW.

My mom frequently travels with us, but as far as disney is concerned, she lives at my house and her email is my email. If someone stole her CC number from a WDW resort or reservations, they would have no way to access her billing address. (she actually got the 40% off pin code mailed to my house last month and I have never got a pin like that :offtopic:).

While it is certainly possible the info was stolen at WDW, usually, it is more likely it was stolen from a database somewhere.

I have had mine stollen twice. The first time whoever stole it went wild on Amazon and made a bunch of $25 purchases. That time Chase called me and reversed the charges before I even had time to notice. (It was in less than 24 hours of the charges.)

The second time, I called with my card information to pay a doctor bill over the phone. The same day a charge for the exact amount was made to Amazon for a purchase, but NEVER was my doctor bill charge ran. I called the doctor's to report it, and they insisted it was paid. They even sent me a receipt to prove it, but the charge was never made to my card, only one to Amazon. I called Amazon and they actually took that charge off my card without me even having to dispute it. I have a feeling a lot of that goes on with the online shopping places.

I think the first time my information was hacked from paypal, but no proof of that. The second I am pretty sure was the person working at the doctor's office, but I got my money back, so I wasn't overly worried about how it happened.

I know that we recieved a notice on our account from the bank that all charges to debit/cc linked to accounts were advised to use them as debit and to use the pin#, this was for a certain time and for charges that were in Florida....guess they had a rash of cc info being stolen. We have gone into the bank branch and let them know our travel dates and that we are going to be in florida and also driving down....they did note the account but told us when possible to use the card as debit w/pin#.....makes me glad we use most of our trip in cash or disney gift cards....plan to attach the cc to our room key, but pay it off before they charge any......really love our bank and branch!

That depends on the bank. DH's debit card was used and his bank restored the money immediately while the investigation went on. I was pleased and very surprised.

"His bank restored the money immediately". But I assume he first had to contact the bank and explain the situation. Then they restored the money. But in that interim his account was wiped out.

Assuming you can pay your bills in full and don't spend unwisely and with money you don't have, IMO credit cards beat debit cards for security and cas back benefits.

I feel your pain while in Disney two weeks ago, I checked my account and seen that there were two false debits total over $60.00, I had to sit on hold for over 20 mins and then go through a filing false charges process all while sitting in the Epcot parking lot. Took me till the next day to "get over" it.

We were there about the same time 11/24 and my mother had her card charged too. The only store she used it at was at the world of Disney to buy a sweatshirt. Before and after that she hasn't used that card so it had to happen at the world of Disney in downtown Disney.

My husbands debit card number was stolen just before we headed to WDW in June (We think at a gas station in NJ). Tons of online purchases were made... from burlington coat factory to someplace called EforChina. We are still dealing with TD Bank on the issue. What a nightmare. So sorry this happened to you OP.

How would they get his home billing address for the card used to make online purchases?

For us...

whitepages.com .... whoever took my husbands card only had to search his name and guess what....there are only TWO people in the entire united states with his name... him and his grandfather. So there in plain sight was our home address for anyone to use. So when I was telling people at work about it I showed them just how instantly I could find their home address online, they were shocked. It's scary how easy it is. Burlington Coat Factory did confirm the woman used our home address for billing and hers for shipping. nuts.

it certainly isn't that hard to find someones home address, but, not everyone has their home address as their billing address on their credit card. I don't know if a bank will let you have a separate billing address for debit cards or not because we don't have any, but I know for my credit card, I use my office address for billing for that very reason.

If someone steals my wallet, they know my CC info, but they won't know my office address so they won't know my billing address. They make purchases in person (where I have asked the cashier to request ID on the back of my card), if they are not ID'ed, which places are getting better at, but often times retail stores have cameras which scare off thieves and/or assist in catching them.

I'm pretty sure my number was stolen while at WDW too. I had $60 worth of iTunes charges and we don't own ANYTHING Apple. It was no big deal though... called up the credit card company, cancelled my card, got the charges reimbursed and they sent me a new one.

Thankfully, you used your credit card and this is the exact reason my wife and I don't even have debit cards. All we have is credit and ATM cards.

If someone gets your debit card info and makes fraudulent charges, yes, you can dispute the charges but while your dispute is being "investigated", you don't have your money. The MAJOR difference is that you keep your money while you disupte CC charges.

Yes, debit cards are less expensive for the vendor than credit cards, but sorry, I have my money at risk and it just isn't worth it.

always a good tip to remember! i usually use my credit card but have in the past used my debit too - by habit. we'll try to keep it on the credit card (or cash for smaller purchases) when we go to DW.

I've had my credit card stolen on vacation and used (well, attempted to use) for online purchases before I even got home. Not at WDW, but it seems to have been lifted from restaurant staff in Miami and Las Vegas(you know, when they disappear with your CC to the back to run it).

I take 3 credit cards with me on vacation. One for room charges and other stuff I already pre-booked with it and that goes in the safe after check-in. One other emergency card that isn't intended to be used and just goes in the safe as soon as we get there. And one card I carry on me. And then DH and I make sure to carry different cards as our carrying card. And the two that I actually intend to use while on vacation are ones I pretty much only use for vacation. The one I store as an emergency card is my normal life daily use card.

That sounds much more complicated than it is. :thumbsup2

When making purchases online you need a few things. Of course, the credit card number, the expiration date, the security code, but you also need your billing address and that would be hard for most cast members because that information is only available to a select few.

In these times, most peoples credit card information is not stolen from the actual vendor it is used, but rather through databases. A couple years ago TJ Maxx was hacked and hundreds of thousands of people had their CC stolen, but it wasn't stolen by anyone at TJ Maxx.

There are quite a few possibilities and it isn't necessarily someone at WDW stealing your CC info.

Not true. You do not need the billing address to match for a charge to go through.

We had our cc compromised last year as well and we think it happened while we were in WDW. There were multiple charges at the Hess gas station right near the Boardwalk & also multiple charges at other gas stations near WDW as well. Our cc company didn't think anything was out of the ordinary because we were in Florida! We noticed it when we got back and it totaled about $400 of charges at gas stations in or around WDW. You guessed it-we didn't drive to WDW and never went to any of those gas stations.

What we do now is we either only pay in cash or Disney gift cards and do not put a CC on file with our Resort.

You got me. I don't think cc scammers always need a billing address...that's why it's big business? Maybe the skimmers they use gives info off the magnetic strip? :confused3

Anyways, we were victims of a cc skimming device just a few weeks ago. Our bank's fraud systems picked up suspicious activity off the card's magnetic strip when it was swiped for purchase (which apparently had a skimmer). They flagged our account and sent us a letter stating they were issuing a new card number. When we called they said it was done at a local gas station and the rep was not allowed to tell us which one to preserve the gas stations integrity.

In regards to pp - my husband's Czech name is very, very unique...assumably no other name like it anywhere. Therefore, very easy to pull up in records which has concerned us.

This is really a big problem, and it gets even worse. If you think the other stuff is scary, just watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtAP3g_Xfk

This video and others like it have been around for a while, but it shows how easy this is to do. I use foil all the time for gift cards, ccards, etc. Don't know if it is 100%, but it sure beats nothing.

I just purchased an aluminum wallet for my WDW trip to prevent this. I know you can just use tin foil around your credit cards but I thought I'd like this better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter