• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Someone at WDW stole my Credit card info.

I'm curious...So what happens when the credit card company is told the charges weren't made by you? Do the people who made the fraudulant charges get away with it? Or is there a way they can get caught?

Also, if I understand correctly, they can scan your cc numbers while they are in your wallet? How do you stop that?

It's a total pain in the *** for me. I'd rather use the money in my bank account and be done with it. No worrying about having to login to a 3rd party site to make a payment to a credit card and/or have to sign up for autopayments for a balance that may or may not be correct. It's about convenience and using my credit wisely - not for everyday purchases. You see things differently, good for you. I understand that you'd rather not have your disposable funds in your bank account taken up if/when an unauthorized/incorrect purchase should hit your account, however that's a bit over the top. I've never had issues with my debit or credit card accounts that required to have funds replaced. Good for me, but it has happened to my wife and that was taken care of by the bank immediately - same day. I don't go through life thinking that someone's going to steal my money as we are all covered by Federal Regulation E which makes a bank dispute any unauthorized transactions you report.

Plus my rewards program helps me to earn points which got me 3 extra days last week and 1 free plane ticket. While I could do that with my credit card too, I'd rather use the funds so I don't incur a balance. I like the "if I don't have the $ now, don't charge it if it's not something I absolutely do not need now" philosophy. If there's anything I missed, PM me and keep it out of the thread.

Well, I can understand that you do not care to use a cc personally, and that's fine, and everyone's personal prerogative. It was the erroneous information about being charged interest when paying the balance in full each month that I was pointing out, and the fact that having a promotional intro rate, or not, has nothing to do with it.

It doesn't make me spend more money, I have the funds in the bank to pay my balance each month, it's just a matter of convenience, and the bonus that I get for doing so. I have no problems *seeing* what I charge as $$'s.

I'm curious...So what happens when the credit card company is told the charges weren't made by you? Do the people who made the fraudulant charges get away with it? Or is there a way they can get caught?

Also, if I understand correctly, they can scan your cc numbers while they are in your wallet? How do you stop that?

They can only scan your cc numbers if your cc has an RFID chip in it. American banks have been slow to adopt the technology. None of my credit cards have RFID chips in them.

As far as the fraudulent charges go, one of my tasks at work is to respond to the credit card company when a customer reports a fraudulent charge. During this past year, there have been at least a half dozen instances of cc numbers being stolen and new cards being created in the thief's name. This means when the charge is made, the card, the name that prints on the receipt, and the ID of the person presenting the card all match - but unfortunately they aren't the actual card holder. As a business, we have certain "hoops" we have to jump through when accepting a cc for a transaction, and so long as we follow those instructions and can prove we have followed them when asked to prove it, we are not penalized. The real card holder is not penalized either. So it's very difficult to catch these criminals unless they get sloppy, and I would say 99.99% of the time, they do get away with it. That's why they keep doing it. Based on the transactions we had, my guess is someone either hacked a database with the info or had a skimmer installed somewhere in a high volume location, because none of the actual cardholder names were the same, but there were several transactions with the same thief name, so we knew it was the same person(s) running the scam (I'm sure the "thief name" isn't their real name either).

I am an HR Mgr. At my last job (car dealership) a police detective came in to speak to a relatively new cashier. There was a credit card # theft ID ring that had been tied to her.

The cashier told the officer that she could memorize a credit card number in a few seconds. She would write it down after the customer left and give it to a friend in a retail store who would charge to it.

Police detective scoffed at her and gave her his own credit card to test her on. She did memorize the number after looking at it for 10 seconds. As he was leading her out in cuffs he said to me "I have to call and get my number changed".

We were there from 11/28-12/4. Right before we left we had our Discover card account number changed. We got our new cards 2 days before we left. Neither of us used them until we were at WDW. Mi was just checking my statement and there are $3500+ worth of charges to various online places. All charges occurred from 11/29-12/5. I disputed them and Discover will reverse the charges but I am so upset. I can't think of how it could've been anyone other than someone at WDW since the cards were brand new! Ugh...

Good thing the credit card protection was there for you.

Just curious, Why did you have the number changed right before the trip? Did you have someone charge to the old number before the trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter