Some interesting behavior at Citricos

:thumbsup2

Reminds me of Kona our first morning last week--two kids and their parents right next to us and thankfully they were leaving when we came in. Took THREE cast members several minutes to clean the food and paper and utensils that were all over the floor.

They probably didn't leave a tip either.

Ya know i have been traveling to WDW since 1986 and have seen alot. I have been taking my Daughter since she was 2 and now she is going on 8. We eat at signature restaurants but she is always behaved but thats the way i was raised and my wife was raised WITH DISCIPLINE.

Just in December we were eating at California Grill and we were unfortunately seated close to the door that leads to the catwalk , well there were these 2 kids that kept running in and out of that door until i finally said something to them and it was nice, all i said was can you please stop going in and out the everytime you open the door my table gets hit with a blast of cold air. The little girl looked confused and the parents and grandparents i guess were at the table adjacent to us and said is there a problem ... so i told them the issue and there response to me was " this is WDW and they are kids..." i hate that excuse for lack of parenting and i told that to them....in any event they left shortly after that and 5 different people came up to me and say thank you and good fr you for opening your mouth, including 2 CM's

So never be afraid to say something...I'm not but I'm from NJ we always have something to say LOL:lmao:

It's WDW, you don't need manners there.

Always thought the But It's Disney World excuse was interesting. would you really let your kids misbehave in ways you wouldn't let them behave at home because It's Disney World. Not just do different stuff than you would let them do at home (such as letting them eat ice cream for dinner), but let them do things that impact others, like constantly running in and out a door in a restaurant.

A few years ago (our 2006 trip, probably), we were at Golden Corral on Vineland and a large, raucous family left the table in front of us. The poor waiter had at least 6 plates full of wasted food, one of which had tipped onto one of the chairs as the slobs left the table. It was all over the floor, table and chairs. Why do parents not say to their kids, "You are NOT to take that much food. Take a small bit and then go back for more." What 6-7 year old can eat a huge cone of food????

My parents' local Chinese buffet gets its fair share of oinkers, as well. There are the kids who return to their table with a plate piled high with noodles - take 2 or 3 mouthfuls, and then return to the buffet back and forth, back and forth, taking a satay stick here or a pancake roll there, eating on the way, dropping food the entire way. DD would NEVER have been allowed to do that! She used to overfill her plate, admittedly, but then she wouldn't go back for seconds.

What part of the word 'parenting' do these people not understand?! It's no wonder there is so much trouble and strife in the world when no-one is chastised for bad behaviour and kids who can do what they like grow up to be teens who will physically attack people who try and reign them in, and finally into adults who will no doubt spend their life either in and out of prison or become even worse parents to their own kids.

First, yuck on the crawling on the floor of a restaurant. Our two older boys are fabulous in restaurants and always have been. Our youngest son, however, has ADHD among other diagnoses - heavy on the HD - and gets very excited/agitated. Restaurants were a challenge when he was tiny, but we decided that we really needed to help him adjust to dining out. WDW was a good place to start because it's designed to accommodate children, BUT disruption or even restaurant inappropriate behavior is not OK. So we were standing ready to get him out of any restaurant at the first sign of even higher-than-appropriate voice volume. WDW must have done some magic because he's wonderful in signature restaurants - it's like the calm atmosphere of the restaurant helps him to calm.

A recent incident in the Poly club lounge made me consider how difficult it is for the CMs under these circumstances. Our youngest son was very excited at evening appetizer time. The atmosphere there is very casual and more casual than the other club lounges we've experienced. So his engine was running high and his little hand darted out at a food item and touched it. I intercepted his hand quickly and put the touched item on his plate immediately. Then it all happened once more (dart, interception, food item on his or my plate.) I felt awful, and apologized right away to the CM. The CM loudly, profusely and repeatedly complimented my response, which I really appreciated, but could see it was in part for the benefit of other guests. :) I was thinking that I bet that's all he can do - send the signal loudly that everyone should be watching their kids and promoting positive behavior.

My in-laws are like that. Just no care for any one else when it comes to being polite or safety. They always stuck to themselves, just the 4 of them, and seemed completely unaware of social etiquette. My now-husband would get in trouble for rough-housing with my niece and nephew and I would tell him I was embarrassed in public because his DAD would roughhouse with him at the age of 23+. In the booths of restaurants, knocking over stuff at stores, and even in line at Disney. My husband finally got it and we are still in a dilemma as to what to say when we have kids with the no roughhousing in the house rule. It's gone to be tough not to upset them!!

But when his dad and sister were wrestling in a character M&G line at Disney, two children started imitating them. The mom lost it and made them get out of line. My husband tried to hint that it was because of them that those poor kids lost their chance to meet Buzz & Woody but I don't think they got it.

I work in a retail store, and see crazy stuff all the time these days. Recently a child was walking around barefoot. Age 18 months or so, so Mom was following her. When I told Mom the child needed to wear shoes (safety reasons), her explanation was that the child did not LIKE to wear shoes, and she shrugged.

What is the problem with these parents?? YOU are the boss of the child.

Last time I ate at Rainforest Cafe, we sat in the bar area (you can just grab a table here, no waiting). A Mom let her 2-3 year old eat while sitting ON the bar. Well, he moved back and forth from standing on a stool, to sitting on the bar. I even took photos, lol, because was so baffled. It was so dangerous, yet the bartender said nothing.

My favorite at DL was a child swimming in the fountain in Toon Town. Shirt off, laying down in the water at times, splashing around, while Mom took photos with her iPhone. And he was only borderline toilet trained age, could have gone either way…..

That's something my in laws have done. Once we watched them let their toddler run wild in a restaurant. Servers were having to avoid him. I kept waiting for him to be run over. And while at first some patrons thought he was a cute little toddler, they got over it fast as he proceeded to have an obvious moment in his diaper in the middle of the restaurant. My in laws never noticed. We left.

Now I do understand that it's Disney and there are children everywhere but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor behaviour. As kids my parents took us out to eat on a regular basis. Mostly we went to casual places but on special occasions we went to a steahouse or something. If we ever started misbehaving we were set straight really quick. We sat at the table and weren't allowed to get up unless we needed to go to the bathroom.

images
images

:lmao::thumbsup2

I'd wager good $$$ that the CM's at the Disney Restaurants would have tons of stories to tell if they could do so w/o getting in trouble.

MY favorite was a bartender (they will often talk a bit more than regular servers:))at Blue Zoo who watched a mother change a babies diaper right on top of one of the lounge tables directly across from the bar.

That must have been a sight to see while you are trying to eat-----

I'd wager good $$$ that the CM's at the Disney Restaurants would have tons of stories to tell if they could do so w/o getting in trouble.

MY favorite was a bartender (they will often talk a bit more than regular servers:))at Blue Zoo who watched a mother change a babies diaper right on top of one of the lounge tables directly across from the bar.

That must have been a sight to see while you are trying to eat-----

Aside from being gross that is just pure laziness. You can't tell me there wasn't a bathroom available. And ewwwww what did she do with the diaper afterwards?

We saw a mother change her child's diaper on the floor at Marrakesh. At least it was the floor and not the table. But, how hard is it to go to the ladies' room?

We also had a party of 10 or so come into Jiko and be seated in the Wine Room about 10:30 p.m. The party included 3 toddlers. They spent a good deal of time running around the room and then started doing summersaults across the room. Nothing was said by a waiter or the manager. The parents were caught up in talking and laughing and were paying no attention to the children whatsoever.

Finally, the kids started hanging and swinging from the beads covering the windows to the wine room. That's when the manager finally spoke up and said the children could not hang from the beads.

I am convinced that castmembers have been instructed not to speak to parents about their children's behavior. So, the rest of us get to suffer.

You are right of course--I believe a former CM said as much. In your case I am actually surprised the manager said anything.

I recall once at Jiko a party of "golf moms" came in with kids in tow (about 6 moms and 6 -7 kids).

The moms proceeded to yuck it up and drink themselves silly while the kids were throwing food and silverware at each other--and all over that part of the restaurant.

I remember pointing it out to our server who sadly just shook his head and said--

"What can we do--here at Disney it's all about THEM"

Meaning of course the kids.....

Last time I ate at Rainforest Cafe, we sat in the bar area (you can just grab a table here, no waiting). A Mom let her 2-3 year old eat while sitting ON the bar. Well, he moved back and forth from standing on a stool, to sitting on the bar. I even took photos, lol, because was so baffled. It was so dangerous, yet the bartender said nothing.

Is it legal for people under 21 allowed to sit at the bar (or on it ;) )in Florida? Most states don't allow that, but you can sit at surrounding tables.

Perfectly legal--we see it all the time--most often when folks are waiting to be seated at the regular table.

It's really a reflection of the parent and their interest or lack of raising their child to be decent adults We were at Akershus having dinner, this is pre Princesses. A small paper kite came flying at us and landed on our table. We just pushed it aside. Next thing, a small girl came to our table and started talking to us with a sorry face. I couldn't really understand her but then her mother appeared and said the child was apologizing. I was impressed and we chatted with the mom. Parents step up to the plate and teach your kids social manners. Even at Disney the opportunity is there.

I know what you mean about parental response. My DH and I were floating on tubes in the Lazy River ride at Typhoon Lagoon, when my prescription sunglasses fell into the river near where the water falls are. My DH dove down to the water's bottom to get them (with the current) and got them...yay! Meanwhile, next to me a 12-13 year old was smashing a "pool noodle" next to us and hitting our float...laughing. My DH "nicely" asked him to please stop. Well, the kids Dad jumped off and screamed at my husband "Don't tell my son what to do!" I thought that he was going to punch my husband.

This is why I stay away from the water parks, way too crowded and it feels like a free for all

I guess one good thing to come from all of this--is the fact that these instances stick out to so many people because they are so few and far between. Even at Disney, where so many people are packed into small spaces, the majority of parents and children behave themselves.

I can't believe I even wrote that--I'm never a "glass half full" kind of person. I guess it's because I think back to when my now 13-year old daughter was a baby/toddler and all of the fun we had on our "Is it glass or plastic?" games or our "What do cigarette butts taste like?" adventures. Good times.

BTW--she only smokes menthols now. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter