Snake in Resort Room?

'll see if I can find the pictures, but back in 2011 DW and I stayed at one of the GF outer building rooms overlooking the lake. Got some great pictures of an aligator swimming by and what I believe was a water moccasin swiming along the rocks on the shoreline.

It is Florida and snakes are everywherejust expect it.

Heck, we have rattle snakes on the campus of the high school I work at in North Carolina. Someone comes and gets one every other month or so.

About 3 yrs ago I was at Disney's Winter Summerland miniture golf and a large black snake slithered across the path in front of me and into the bushes. Well from that time on everytime I went to get my ball out of the cup, I looked into the hole to make sure my golf ball was the only thing in there:):):):) First and only time I have only seen a snake in the Parks....

As for the gators, one was spotted last spring/summer-ish in the retaining pond outside the Beach Club Villas. After he was caught the gator was interviewed and stated that he was staying at BCV on points and that snakes were the only thing on his Disney Dining plan.

The way I look at it, the two, Snakes and gators, cancel each other out, so now all we have to worry about is the Love Bugs....

~NM

We've seen water moccasins (wide flat head) several times at BCV. We just call the front desk and they come and get it. At VWL, I told my dd that I was surprised that Disney would leave a hose in the middle of the walkway. Yup, it was a huge black racer!

We just returned from POR and found a baby Black Racer right inside our door. He was about as big around as a pencil and about 10 inches long. The door opening I guess killed it. My wife and I were getting ready to pack the car up to leave and my daughter said "hey check this out."
The gentleman from the plant department came and got him and said it was pretty common to see black racers.

Do you mean a black garden snake? We saw 2 of those at POFQ. One was dead (looked like it may have been a golf cart road kill) and the other was very much alive, near the courtyard where they show movies at night. :scared1: We saw it during the day, slithering near the building.

Being a numbers person, I went in search of some useful statistics to help me put this in perspective and mitigate the fear. In the U.S., there are about 8,000 venomous snake bites reported annually. TX and FL do seem to have the largest populations of snakes and probably the most snakebites. As of mid-July, FL reported 330 venomous snake bites. I believe I read that 40% of all annual snake bites are caused by people trying to catch or kill a snake. With WDW hosting over 30 million guests annually, odds of being bitten truly are very low. Additionally, there are only about 12 deaths annually from snake bites in the U.S. Again, odds are way low. Spider bites account for more deaths than snakes. The venom that snakes inject is voluntary, which means they don't always do it, and the amount of venom injected can also differ. Some snakes do inject more in self-defense than for killing prey, but snakes in general do not go after humans. That's good news! The bad news is that snake bites are always more dangerous for children than adults. And no matter the bite, call 911 immediately. I think I'd also snap a quick pic of the snake if safely possible, to help doctors identify the type of venom. Don't know about you, but the statistics do help me feel at least a little better. (not that it amounts to a hill of beans if you do wind up with a snake in your room ;))

Thank you Fuzzlekins (love that name) I stated similar stats a few pgs back. Don't try and catch a snake and you will lower your risk 99%, trust me. The black racers you see are excellent to keep away mice, voles, moles & rats. Give me a snake over a rat anyday! I would not worry. While it is startling to see something slither away, they are RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU! Think about that. You are a big scary human. They don't want you. They want a nice chipmunk.

Black racers are not the same as black rat snakes Pixiedust34...very similar, both can grow long, but the heads are bit different. BOTH, however, are interested in one thing and one thing only, getting away from HUMANS and finding a nice mouse lunch!

Thought I would share a couple of pics of the one we saw at MK on 12/2/12. We just took a picture of the kids by the wall next to Sleepy Hollow with the castle in the background when I looked down at the water. Surprise, surprise. He was catching some rays.

snake1-S.jpg

snake2-M.jpg

Never seen one before in our room at the Poly, but if I did I would be delighted to have a snake. Though, on our way to the Magic Kingdom one morning I spotted a cottonmouth at the GF. Thought it was a stick. :confused3

I like the little lizards; I used to see them all over the train display in Germany, and thought it was cool. :cool2:

I have never seen a snake on WDW property, but now... I'll be looking for them everywhere (and will probably find them)! :scared:

As for gators, I'm really surprised to read the stories about them in the water parks; maybe I'm naive, but I thought Disney had a better handle on that, because gators (no matter what size) in the parks can't be good for business. :confused3

Still, I'll be requesting a second floor stay during my next visit (and beyond). ;)

I've never seen a snake at WDW...now I will be looking for them LOL

Can't imagine finding one in my room :scared1: ugh!

The snake in the contemproary room boggles the mind.
How did it get up to the 4th floor undetected LOL? :eek:

Last May we stayed at SSR. We were walking back towards the Springs from the Paddock pool when my 8 yeard old son stepped on what he thought was a piece of black rope/string. He quickly realized it wasn't a rope or string once it started moving. We couldn't get back to our room fast enough.

I have never seen a snake at Disney..........................

Oh wait............. I have never been lol

Haven't had one in our room but did have one in the Dudley Doo Right flume at Universal. He was curled up in the floor where your feet go!

I hope my mom never sees this thread she will not come with us :rotfl:

she is terrified of snakes.

we saw a turtle in the water once... it was a pretty big turtle. but that's it lol.

While it is startling to see something slither away, they are RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU! Think about that. You are a big scary human. They don't want you. They want a nice chipmunk.

They are wild in nature and some can be territorial or aggressive if frightened.

I have seen:
One little guy the size of a skinny pencil at the OKW main pool. I don't even know how he survived to get in the middle of the chair area.

one 12+/-" on the path to Epcot from the back side of BCV

one big dude crossing the street (really the entrance to the parking area) in front of a bus I was on heading into TL

one 4 foot at the BWV quiet pool and the guy they sent to get it was terrified of it, it headed to the bushes by some poor family's patio (and their door was open). He didn't even go tell them to shut the door before he went to find someone to help him and they had a toddler. They came out a little later so I told them. Really couldn't believe that one.

Darn - hope I haven't jinxed myself and can forget about this thread before I go next week.

When I worked at WDW in '95 on the Jungle Cruise there was a Black Cottonmouth Moccasin that dropped down from a tree and onto the top of a boat. Scared the beeswax out of the skipper, he bumped it off the awning... The rest of us were fascinated, and maybe a little nervous about venturing into the Amazon for a while... LOTS of vegitation so snakes are somewhat common, just not dropping down on the boats... :scared1:

We also had to shut down the JC one morning to relocate a small 3 ft alligator to a more suitable home outside of the MK - I think he was moved to Bay Lake if I remember correctly? I remember seeing his little head floating in the water back were we stored the boats, so cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter