Shop the Block 2020 MILES ARE POSTING NOW

I’m going to attempt for 7 offers with 1 card as I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to do both cards. (Un)luckily, we had our dishwasher go so we are in the market for a new one (merry Christmas to us) so that gets me one partner. I know I can do Sobeys, Shell, AM shops, BMO so that’s 5. To find 2 more. Then I’ll start cars two and see if I can get 3 or 5. Fingers crossed

Please keep in mind that in order to do the additional 2 partners to get to 7 offers your reward will only be an additional $40 (equivalent) in Airmiles. I've scaled back my shops this year to be only those that I really need. When I was having trouble figuring out what to do for #6,7 I decided just to put another $40 in my vacation fund and call it a day. This from someone who enjoyed the challenge of doing 7 offers on 3 cards last year. Not this year though.

The American Express coupon is populated but it is ridiculous. Spend $300 on food and drink and if I'm reading it right it is food and drink from restaurants. Eat in or take out/delivery but $300? It could be reachable for some but not us.

ETA--@CanadianKrista noticed something I didn't, you can use at a grocery store as well. Thanks @CanadianKrista for clarifying. It's good to have the right info.

Last edited:
The fine print on the back of the Amex offer says grocery stores are included. Restaurants, grocery stores and delivery of food or groceries.

The American Express coupon is populated but it is ridiculous. Spend $300 on food and drink and if I'm reading it right it is food and drink from restaurants. Eat in or take out/delivery but $300? It could be reachable for some but not us.
Yes....and it's only for the Reserve card. I'm very unhappy about this.

It feels like “Shop the Block”‘s initial intent was for people to shop a multitude of stores for holiday gifts/supplies and to spread their dollars over a variety of stores.

This year, the offers are so specific and most are high dollar items. I mean, it will be simple for me to get 5. But, wow are the offers targeted for suburban home owners who love Samsung and have kids. lol

:offtopic:
I had a motivator to get done early,,,,
Dang covid 19 might just shut down my area again and I decided there was no way I was going to let it win.
That's true. I forgot about looming lockdowns for different areas.
Off topic with a response to people shopping because of looming shutdowns again. I am in Alberta where Kenny and our Health Officer state that we will not be having a shut down and that we need to find the balance of keeping our economy and businesses open and the virus numbers at safer number. But even people in our city are out shopping.

I work at HomeSense for ' Momma's Trip fund " and we have been hitting our sales targets...actually more like knocking them out of the park....it has been the best year the store has ever had in 8 years.... now employees get 30% off for an employee appreciation week because sales are so good. I know that our store is not the only one experiencing this in our small city. It is crazy how people are shopping right now.

We can't keep things on the shelves. We get 2 trucks with 20-25 skids ( pallets ) of stock daily...and we still have empty places on our shelves. It is crazy. You can be putting things onto the shelves from our stock tanks that we use to transfer stock to the sales floor...and people literally pick stuff off of the tanks before we can put it on the shelves.

Looks like I'll be able to do 5 offers for sure, 7 if I feel like spending $150 on booze... :drinking1
If I was to actually do this promo...this Momma wouldn't have to buy any booze for 2021!!!! I am the only one who drinks those beverages in our home...so needless to say, I an mot a big drinker. I would be set for 2021!!!!

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that in order to do the additional 2 partners to get to 7 offers your reward will only be an additional $40 (equivalent) in Airmiles. I've scaled back my shops this year to be only those that I really need. When I was having trouble figuring out what to do for #6,7 I decided just to put another $40 in my vacation fund and call it a day. This from someone who enjoyed the challenge of doing 7 offers on 3 cards last year. Not this year though.

Yes, that is a great idea. I may be doing that as well. I thought AMEX would be my 6th partner and I would do Metro as 7th but I'm out now. With AMEX pulling the stunt of Reserve cards only I'm done. Actually, I'm done with AMEX as well. It's been a long time since they have offered significiant bonus miles and they tried to double the yearly card fee. I just phoned AMEX and told them I will be paying off my AMEX and probably switching to BMO Mastercard. I only signed up for AMEX for the air miles. Denying the STB was the last straw for me.

Airmiles & Amazon
Please read

Important Information
Please note: Included categories have changed as of November 1, 2020.
You will get AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases made in the following categories. All other categories, Gift Cards and Amazon Subscriptions are excluded. You will NOT get AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases made via the Amazon app.
Included categories*:
Amazon Cloud Cam;
Amazon Fashion Private Brands; (exclude Prime Wardrobe)
Automotive; (exclude Tires)
Books & Textbooks;
Blu-Ray & DVD
Clothing & Accessories;
Echo Devices;
eero Devices
Element Smart TV;
Fire TV Devices;
Fire Tablets;
Handmade;
Headphones;
Home; (exclude Furniture, Nursery Furniture, Home Automation, Fine Art)
Home Improvement; (exclude Major Appliances, Ring, Amazon Smart Plug)
Jewelry;
Luggage
Luxury Beauty; (exclude Haus Laboratories)
Kindle E-readers;
Shoes, Handbags, Wallets, Sunglasses
Pet Food & Supplies;
Power & Hand Tools; (exclude Outdoor and Lawn Tools)
Ring Video Doorbells and Cameras;
*categories are subject to change at any time

This has made it next to near impossible to figure out since products are not listed in categories if you are purchasing something that gets airmiles.

I personally did phone call & CHAT to find out if a Magic Bag and towels would qualify for *Home* category.
They skirted the question but then said yes.

https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/shops/amazon

No time to actually look thru and tag everyone who's asked about Amazon regarding the coupon.

MY understanding is that you only need to spend $100 thru the portal to satisfy the coupon. They list a few exclusions but it doesn't say anywhere that you have to earn miles from the store itself. I'll try to tease it out a bit more at some point this weekend.

I did my Sobey's shop this afternoon. I spent $106.43 pre-tax and left with 285 miles. I redeemed $110 cash miles to pay and .92 on debit.

I received 30 (coke), 50+50 (carnation hot chocolate mix), 30 (Kraft dinner), 25 (sensodyne toothpaste), 50 (sausage rounds). Then 5 base miles, 20 STB bonus miles, and a Spend $50 get 25 miles on my APP.

Now I do wonder if Sobey's will take away 50 miles. Notice I said 50+50 for carnation hot chocolate? The flyer says you have to purchase TWO to get the 50 miles. I purchased two, but they gave me 50 twice. I read a short while ago about Sobey's clawing back bonus miles mistakenly given.

My receipt says "Marketing Promo 7" and shows "Shop the Block 20 miles".

Ohh I forgot to mention the Cashier also gave me a Sobey's gift card valued at $5. She said it was a promotion Sobey's was running and I could get both it and all my miles.

Airmiles & Amazon
Please read

Important Information
Please note: Included categories have changed as of November 1, 2020.
You will get AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases made in the following categories. All other categories, Gift Cards and Amazon Subscriptions are excluded. You will NOT get AIR MILES® Reward Miles on purchases made via the Amazon app.
Included categories*:
Amazon Cloud Cam;
Amazon Fashion Private Brands; (exclude Prime Wardrobe)
Automotive; (exclude Tires)
Books & Textbooks;
Blu-Ray & DVD
Clothing & Accessories;
Echo Devices;
eero Devices
Element Smart TV;
Fire TV Devices;
Fire Tablets;
Handmade;
Headphones;
Home; (exclude Furniture, Nursery Furniture, Home Automation, Fine Art)
Home Improvement; (exclude Major Appliances, Ring, Amazon Smart Plug)
Jewelry;
Luggage
Luxury Beauty; (exclude Haus Laboratories)
Kindle E-readers;
Shoes, Handbags, Wallets, Sunglasses
Pet Food & Supplies;
Power & Hand Tools; (exclude Outdoor and Lawn Tools)
Ring Video Doorbells and Cameras;
*categories are subject to change at any time

This has made it next to near impossible to figure out since products are not listed in categories if you are purchasing something that gets airmiles.

I personally did phone call & CHAT to find out if a Magic Bag and towels would qualify for *Home* category.
They skirted the question but then said yes.

https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/shops/amazon
I spent 1.5 hours on chats and the phone with amazon about this today. I have many orders that hinge on getting the airmiles and if I will not get the airmiles that why wait for black Friday multiplier and risk things being out of stock or the website crashing (reality). The best answer that I finally got was this.
On the search bar on amazon.ca, make sure that the far Left side of the search bar shows all departments. As soon as you type in your product a drop down menu will appear, under your item it will say the category. It seemed to work for me. I hope this can help us all stumble our way through these crazy rules

Attachments

• B43EA03A-374A-48A4-AD2F-6F0F810F25CE.png
    B43EA03A-374A-48A4-AD2F-6F0F810F25CE.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 9
@Disney Addicted You will likely be ok with the Carnation hot chocolate. The reason for the other (first time ever) clawback is they lost a tonne of AM to that offer. It jumped out as a huge red flag and the IT department had to do something to correct it. In the past I've had small offers that have gone through unnoticed and they never clawed back the AM.

I got the same $5GC as well. Don't know what the heck it was for (couldn't find anything in the flyer) but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth.

I spent 1.5 hours on chats and the phone with amazon about this today. I have many orders that hinge on getting the airmiles and if I will not get the airmiles that why wait for black Friday multiplier and risk things being out of stock or the website crashing (reality). The best answer that I finally got was this.
On the search bar on amazon.ca, make sure that the far Left side of the search bar shows all departments. As soon as you type in your product a drop down menu will appear, under your item it will say the category. It seemed to work for me. I hope this can help us all stumble our way through these crazy rules

Thanks for sharing Hon.
Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter