SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Isn't the parking fee being used to cover the cost of the garage?

Charter busses load by the West Side. This includes SoG, Swan, Dolphin,Lynx.....

SoG and S/D used to contract with Disney for bus services. The change is why the West Side and the TTC are the load locations for DS and the MK.
I thought I read a while back the garage is currently paid off.

Either way, it’s jumped up quite a bit in price since 2017/18 when we first stayed, I believe it was $7. Now it’s $17 per night.

A quick Google search tells me after the resort built the garage, parking was $3 a night. So it stayed pretty low for over a decade before the recent price hikes.

I thought I read a while back the garage is currently paid off.

Either way, it’s jumped up quite a bit in price since 2017/18 when we first stayed, I believe it was $7. Now it’s $17 per night.

A quick Google search tells me after the resort built the garage, parking was $3 a night. So it stayed pretty low for over a decade before the recent price hikes.
Yeah prices have definitely gone up, I checked my 2014 spreadsheet (don't have older than that one) and regular room was $123 per night (is now $224) and IIRC the garage was $6 per night (and see from the above that it's now $17 per night). That's the main reason we started staying offsite, there are several good hotels right on US192 that cost less than $100 per night and have free parking, and have free hot breakfast.

DW and I were talking the other day about maybe staying at SOG again next trip probably in 2025, but still not sure which way we'll go as staying just offsite saves $100-150 per night.

The new washers and dryers worked great when we were there in Nov! And they were good sized machines. Want to say I remember it being $3 for a wash cycle, and another $3 for the dryer. You can't use the detergent pods in the washers anymore, but at least when we were there, they had complimentary boxes of detergent in the laundry rooms. I read somewhere that they are working on getting the dispensers reinstalled in the laundry rooms. Not sure if that has been done yet.
I’m assuming you use a card to pay? A hotel we stayed at recently required quarters. Hoping not to have to pack quarters, lol.

Has anyone done a luggage transfer to/from Shades of Green for split stays with Disney hotels? The person who answered the phone said no but plan Disney says yes.

Does Shades of Green have any of the daily activities the Disney resorts have?
Not really. They don't have the daily kids activities at pools like the Disney resorts. We haven't stayed in a while so maybe things have changed.

They do have activities over certain holidays like Easter or Christmas though.

Not really. They don't have the daily kids activities at pools like the Disney resorts. We haven't stayed in a while so maybe things have changed.

They do have activities over certain holidays like Easter or Christmas though.
We’ve not seen any either and we’ve stayed recently.

Around the 4th of July they did do something (we didn’t go).

We have stayed at Shades of Green many times for weeks each visit, but not since the walk way to Poly closed. We have never relied on Shades transport and walked to Poly always, especially for rope drop since they don’t start as early as we would like. We loved easy access for meals and pin trading to the monorail. But I just don’t know that we will be happy now that it’s much more isolate. We usually are at the park at opening and close.

We are considering POP Century

The decision comes down to comparing Disney transportation and Skyliner access at POP to the Extended evening hours that Shades qualifies you for. Shades rooms are bigger, the pool is nice with a slide and less crowded. POP will allow for a nice resort day too as my kids like to pin trade at resorts and the other resorts accessible by the Skyliner are nice for that. We are only staying from Sunday to Saturday this trip with 4 park days.

2 rooms, 5 kids ages 16 to 5. Price is similar between resorts.

input welcome

We have stayed at Shades of Green many times for weeks each visit, but not since the walk way to Poly closed. We have never relied on Shades transport and walked to Poly always, especially for rope drop since they don’t start as early as we would like. We loved easy access for meals and pin trading to the monorail. But I just don’t know that we will be happy now that it’s much more isolate. We usually are at the park at opening and close.

We are considering POP Century

The decision comes down to comparing Disney transportation and Skyliner access at POP to the Extended evening hours that Shades qualifies you for. Shades rooms are bigger, the pool is nice with a slide and less crowded. POP will allow for a nice resort day too as my kids like to pin trade at resorts and the other resorts accessible by the Skyliner are nice for that. We are only staying from Sunday to Saturday this trip with 4 park days.

2 rooms, 5 kids ages 16 to 5. Price is similar between resorts.

input welcome
The closed path is a deal breaker for us, so I get it. You'll notice the rooms are much smaller at POP compared to SoG. POP buildings also have a motel feel to them as there is no inside hallway.

It's a tough choice between the two. The path was so convenient.

The closed path is a deal breaker for us, so I get it. You'll notice the rooms are much smaller at POP compared to SoG. POP buildings also have a motel feel to them as there is no inside hallway.

It's a tough choice between the two. The path was so convenient.
We always used to use the path, but for our last trip two years ago, we used SOG transportation because I had a knee injury a few years ago and I was limiting my walking time as the parks were about all I could handle. We made it to Epcot for early entry and to other parks for rope drop with no issue. We're staying this fall for two nights after a cruise but at this point have no plans for the parks. I want to do Epcot on our one full day but we'll see. Otherwise, we'll be using SOG buses to go to DS for dinner at least one night. We're also 64 and 66 so not as "convenient" as it was when we were in our 40's and 50's. Although my husband walks several miles 4 days a week and I can walk a mile or more without stopping now, it's just tougher on joints and muscles. We used to do 10 miles a day when at WDW.

It's a tough choice between the two. The path was so coconvenient.
I'm pricing boardwalk out now too. Hate to spend more than Shades, but we are category 3 anyway and that path was for our family the best thing. I'm worried we will feel isolated based on how often we hit up other resorts on a whim. Also exploring off site for the first time since it would be so much cheaper than even shades. Not sure what I'll end up doing! Thanks for your reply

Anyone care to comment on how well the evening hours worked for you? Was that a huge benefit or just sort of nice?

Last edited:
I'm pricing boardwalk out now too. Hate to spend more than Shades, but we are category 3 anyway and that path was for our family the best thing. I'm worried we will feel isolated based on how often we hit up other resorts on a whim. Also exploring off site for the first time since it would be so much cheaper than even shades. Not sure what I'll end up doing! Thanks for your reply

Anyone care to comment on how well the evening hours worked for you? Was that a huge benefit or just sort of nice?
I think it depends on how often you visit. It's a great benefit at MK if you want lower crowds and to either ride or re-ride attractions and you know you won't be back soon. At Epcot, not really a huge benefit IMO, just sort of nice, especially since the fireworks show runs into the extra hours and it's so far to get from attraction to attraction in just the two hours.

Have only stayed at POP once and it was an ok experience. Buses in the morning were extremely well-organized, but the walls were so thin and DD was upset at the very loud noise factor with the neighbors we had (that stay was during the pandemic and we spent a lot of time in the room working and schooling).

We did feel isolated without that walking path at SOG. It's not a deal-breaker forever, but it used to be our primary stay. In the future, it'll depend on the type of trip we're having. Short stay, we'll do it for the Extra late hours. Longer stay, probably not. For our next trip I'm looking at Coronado again, unless I can find a comparable price at another mod or deluxe we haven't stayed at.

However, if SOG dropped the daily parking fee and/or WDW allowed SOG guests to park for free at the parks, that would make a difference for us. I think Coronado is actually cheaper when factoring in having a vehicle at the SOG Cat 3 rate and CSR offers way more amenities.

as it pertains to boardwalk or similar I was looking at like a $300/night difference. For that amount you could take several Minnie Van tound trips per day and still come out ahead staying at SOG. Just an observation that lead to my decision.

I think it depends on how often you visit. It's a great benefit at MK if you want lower crowds and to either ride or re-ride attractions and you know you won't be back soon. At Epcot, not really a huge benefit IMO, just sort of nice, especially since the fireworks show runs into the extra hours and it's so far to get from attraction to attraction in just the two hours.

Have only stayed at POP once and it was an ok experience. Buses in the morning were extremely well-organized, but the walls were so thin and DD was upset at the very loud noise factor with the neighbors we had (that stay was during the pandemic and we spent a lot of time in the room working and schooling).

We did feel isolated without that walking path at SOG. It's not a deal-breaker forever, but it used to be our primary stay. In the future, it'll depend on the type of trip we're having. Short stay, we'll do it for the Extra late hours. Longer stay, probably not. For our next trip I'm looking at Coronado again, unless I can find a comparable price at another mod or deluxe we haven't stayed at.

However, if SOG dropped the daily parking fee and/or WDW allowed SOG guests to park for free at the parks, that would make a difference for us. I think Coronado is actually cheaper when factoring in having a vehicle at the SOG Cat 3 rate and CSR offers way more amenities.
I agree. The parking fees or being able to park at WDW parks would make a difference for us. I've never stayed at Coronado so I'll check it out. Thanks

as it pertains to boardwalk or similar I was looking at like a $300/night difference. For that amount you could take several Minnie Van tound trips per day and still come out ahead staying at SOG. Just an observation that lead to my decision.
I have never tried from Shades. Is Uber and Minnie Van pick up easy at Shades? Do they come to the lobby area?

How are the busses from the restort to the parks these days? I went several years ago and wasn't impressed by a situation I witnessed with a bus and getting guest back to the resort. I stayed at the Disney resorts from that point on. I stopped going to Disney in late 2019 when we had to move away from FL and now I am considering a trip back for a week just looking at all my options.

Boardwalk also has the Skyliner nearby which is another relatively fast transportation option. If you're military, don't forget to call Disney directly and ask for those rates. They are usually around 30% off, but can be more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter