SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We have stayed at SOG many times over the years. However, we have not stayed at SOG since fastpass+/magic bands have been in use. We are considering a stay in early December 2017. We will probably purchase magic bands to use during our stay. Knowing that SOG guests can only make fastpass+ reservations at 30 days out, has anyone had difficulty getting fastpass+ reservations for what you wanted to do? Big Thunder Mountain, The Mine Train, Soarin, Test Track and the new Frozen attraction are probably the only big "E-Ticket" rides that would be on our list. Thanks so much.

We were there 3 times last year, April, May, and October. We were there in April, July, and September the year before. I was able to get FP for 7DMT on all those trips except for this last October. I was able to get FP for Frozen in October.

However, sometimes I had to work hard to get them. If I couldn't make FP for 2 at the 30 day mark, I would try to make them individually and then keep playing with the times till I got an overlap. If I wasn't able to get any FP for those attractions, I would keep trying multiple times a day during the month. I got the FPs for Frozen 3 days before we left. While we were there, my D-I-L was able to get FPs to Frozen for 4 on that same day. The point being you can probably get FP for anything if you are dedicated, but there is no guarantee.

I had no problem get FP at the 30 day mark for the other attractions. BTW, there are tiers in Epcot, so you can only get a FP for one of the headliners....either Soarin, Test Track, or Frozen.

We have stayed at SOG many times over the years. However, we have not stayed at SOG since fastpass+/magic bands have been in use. We are considering a stay in early December 2017. We will probably purchase magic bands to use during our stay. Knowing that SOG guests can only make fastpass+ reservations at 30 days out, has anyone had difficulty getting fastpass+ reservations for what you wanted to do? Big Thunder Mountain, The Mine Train, Soarin, Test Track and the new Frozen attraction are probably the only big "E-Ticket" rides that would be on our list. Thanks so much.

The last time we were at SOG the magic bands were a newer concept, or at least to us because it was the first time we had used them. We didn't have any trouble getting fastpasses, but we also did a split staying at WL first, so we actually booked our fastpasses 60 days out. We actually had no trouble getting fastpasses later in the day when we used our fastpasses up, for the Big Thunder. The 7DMT was not easy to get a pass for. Our family is probably in the strange minority and didn't really like the ride anyway, so we didn't mind and only went on it once during our trip. This time, we are staying in May and will be only at SOG. So, we'll get our military park hopper tickets from ITR in March, then try and order the new magic bands, and see how easy or hard it is to book fast passes 30 days out for Frozen in particular. If I remember, I'll come on here and post my experience with the process.

If you have a reservation at SOG they will send you an email with ticket information. You fill out the forms, email them back, and they email you a picture of your tickets. You can scan the ticket pictures into MDE. Then you can make your FPs 30 days in advance.

You will not get magic bands if you stay at SOG. You can use the ones from your previous trip. The magic bands you have are already linked to you in MDE. Once you scan in your tickets, you're good to go.

In October I was not able to get FP for Frozen at the 30 day mark. I just kept trying and was able to get them a few days prior to our trip.

Last edited:
Hi- Need some clarification on SOG and FPs. Traveling with a military friend who is getting FL resident annual passes once we are down there (we already have ours). She made a reservation at SOG...without tickets in hand, can she get FPs with JUST the a room reservation? Thanks!

I think you need tickets. SOG sends out a ticket order form about 40-45 days prior to the reservation. They started doing this when the new FP system went into effect to allow patrons to make FP selections 30 days out.

Can anyone tell me how a late EMH works if you don't have a magic band? How do they know you qualify for the extra hours and will they check at every ride?

Can anyone tell me how a late EMH works if you don't have a magic band? How do they know you qualify for the extra hours and will they check at every ride?
They may or may not ask for the SOG ID when you tell them that's where you're staying. We've always had them just wave us in when we say we're staying at SOG but we always carry the SOG ID's just in case.

We will have 3 days left on a 5 day military salute ticket and thinking of going in September. Any idea what kind of discounts are usually offered in September? Not necessarily interested in any kind of meal package, would rather just have a room discount. Thanks.

They had a special with a free breakfast for September 2017, but that is no longer up on their website. The October special is also down. I think it might be because of the amount of room needed for their post about the princess marathon in late February.

I'm hoping specials for fall get posted again and I'm also hoping for a discount on the room only.

We went several years ago, first weekend in October and rooms were half price. Probably won't see that again, but i'd love a discount of some kind.

We went several years ago, first weekend in October and rooms were half price. Probably won't see that again, but i'd love a discount of some kind.

We got a half price room in October 2011. Haven't seen that again, but there are some good discounts and deals for slower times. We do usually get the package that has breakfast included as it's cheaper than buying it everyday. We usually go somewhere else for breakfast one morning, but it's still cheaper.

Hey everyone!
Quick question how is payment handled for rooms? Do you pay when you check out? Thank you

You are charged for the first night when you make the reservation. You give SOG a credit card number when you check in. SOG slips your bill under your door early on the morning you depart. If you have no dispute, there is no need to go to the front desk. SOG charges your credit card.

Is there anyway to make a room request at Shade's? I would really like to be close to the parking lot in Palms on a higher floor if possible. Where do I direct this request?

There is a comment section on the reservation form. If you already have the reservation, you can call and add your request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter