• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Hello! I just booked a "last minute" trip for the end of March. It's been about 7 years since I have done this (pre FP+). Can you tell me if there is a difference between the type of tickets you purchase from Shades as far as how they are activated? I remember last time having to activate them at guest services (I think these were the Salute tickets). Now with FP+ are they already activated when they email them to you?

Thank you! I will probably have more questions soon. :) I'm so excited to be heading back to SOG!

Hello! I just booked a "last minute" trip for the end of March. It's been about 7 years since I have done this (pre FP+). Can you tell me if there is a difference between the type of tickets you purchase from Shades as far as how they are activated? I remember last time having to activate them at guest services (I think these were the Salute tickets). Now with FP+ are they already activated when they email them to you?

Thank you! I will probably have more questions soon. :) I'm so excited to be heading back to SOG!

We just got our Military Salute tickets for February. Last time we did it we had to go activate them at the park before use, but they told me that now they are pre-activated and ready to use so we don't have to do that anymore.....very happy to hear that!
I think those were the only ticket type that needed to be activated so none of them should need to be now.

We just got our Military Salute tickets for February. Last time we did it we had to go activate them at the park before use, but they told me that now they are pre-activated and ready to use so we don't have to do that anymore.....very happy to hear that!
I think those were the only ticket type that needed to be activated so none of them should need to be now.

Thank you! That sounds great! :)

Best/quickest way to get from SOG to Epcot for rope drop/park opening? Shades buses don't start running until 30min prior to park opening and even so sounds like they run to TTC and then you need to get the monorail to Epcot. Other options I've thought of are driving to TTC, monorail over. Walking to TTC from shades (although seems far). walking to Poly and taking Poly bus(but do they share?) Help!

Yes, you can use the Poly buses. The TTC is just on the other side of the Poly, so from the bus stop it's only another 5 minutes or so

We always drive. It's not the cheapest mode by far, but always the best. For our first several visits we always took the shades busses and monorail combos.The last 10 visits we just factor in the cost of parking at EPCOT, AK, and HS. We are usually through security and in line at the turnstyles (or whatever they call them these days) about 30 minutes prior to the official opening. They always seem to let people in earlier than posted times. Last week we were sitting in a car at Toy Story Mania at 9 AM.

So I hear a revamp is happening in the Magnolia section. any idea how long this will take? We are not planning coming till 2018. :flower1:

So I hear a revamp is happening in the Magnolia section. any idea how long this will take? We are not planning coming till 2018. :flower1:
I wonder also when this is starting! We will be there this July and usually request Magnolia wing, near lobby!

I have several questions about SOG as we have never stayed there. We would need to use the fold out couch for one of our kids. Are the couches very comfortable? Does the Shady Shuttle run all day or only certain hours? Also, are the bus stops for the SOG buses at the parks conveniently located? I don't remember seeing them on our previous trips. Thanks!

I have several questions about SOG as we have never stayed there. We would need to use the fold out couch for one of our kids. Are the couches very comfortable? Does the Shady Shuttle run all day or only certain hours? Also, are the bus stops for the SOG buses at the parks conveniently located? I don't remember seeing them on our previous trips. Thanks!

For younger kids, the couch should be decently comfortable.

The shady shuttle runs til about dinner. Keep in mind the shuttle only runs you down to the end of the property and you have to walk across the street to the Poly.

The bus stops aren't really too convenient. Also, make sure you are aware of what time the last bus runs each night. You can and will be out of luck if you don't catch the last one back to SOG. Granted, you could get an Uber, another taxi, or just get to the Poly or TTC and walk back to SOG (not recommended as you do have to be aware that the animals... snakes and gators... will find their way out of the bushes and such).

You haven't seen the buses because they are not with the resort buses.
For MK and Epcot you take a bus to TTC and then the monorail. The bus leaves SOG every 20 minutes and the ride is short....never timed it but the TTC is on the right of the Poly and SOG is on the left of the Poly and across the street and down a long driveway. I'd say the trip takes approximately 5 minutes.
The other buses leave hourly on the half hour.
At HS, those going to resort buses turn right after leaving the park. You go straight for the SOG bus and it is right across the street. I think it may be quicker to get to the SOG bus than to some of the farthest resort buses at HS.
At AK resort guests go to the right. To get to the SOG bus you would continue down the sidewalk which turns to the left. That walk is a little longer.
At one of the water parks the SOG bus is at the first stop. I think it's Blizzard Beach, but I get the water parks mixed up. At the other water park it's a long walk to almost the last stop.
The bus stop at Disney Springs moved last year. It's in the old DTD location behind the Christmas store.

The fold out couch is pretty comfortable. I've seen a 6'2" adult sleep on it without issue. The shady shuttle is not a guaranteed, given perk. If they have the staff (usually bellman) , that aren't busy with other duties, and the cart is available, then they can run you out to the front. Also a tip really should be given.

For younger kids, the couch should be decently comfortable.

The shady shuttle runs til about dinner. Keep in mind the shuttle only runs you down to the end of the property and you have to walk across the street to the Poly.

The bus stops aren't really too convenient. Also, make sure you are aware of what time the last bus runs each night. You can and will be out of luck if you don't catch the last one back to SOG. Granted, you could get an Uber, another taxi, or just get to the Poly or TTC and walk back to SOG (not recommended as you do have to be aware that the animals... snakes and gators... will find their way out of the bushes and such).

Um, what? Not recommended, by who? We (and many others) have done the walk on every trip starting in 1998 and have never encountered a snake (or gator outside of water). The walk is easy, well lit and not dangerous at all. sheesh.

As for the sleeper sofas, our youngest son was 14 the last time we all stayed at SOG as a family and he slept on the sleeper sofa with no issue. His older, taller brother had the other bed.

The walk is very easy. DH and I are 57 and 59 and did the walk a couple of years ago every day and expect to again this Nov. Seriously, if you can walk around the park all day, you can easily walk back and forth between SOG and Poly or TTC.

We rarely use the SOG buses, but we know where the stops are and if we time it right, then we have the option. Otherwise, I love the walk back and forth between the Poly. In the morning we always see deer and turkey. In the evening, it's just a peaceful walk.

We have walked from TTC many times at night. It's a pleasant walk. We've never had a problem. During the day I have seen alligators in the ponds on the sides of the driveway, but they have never been out by the walkway. I have also seen alligators in the pond between the palm wing and the magnolia wing. On morning we saw an armadillo. I have never felt unsafe.

We have walked from TTC many times at night. It's a pleasant walk. We've never had a problem. During the day I have seen alligators in the ponds on the sides of the driveway, but they have never been out by the walkway. I have also seen alligators in the pond between the palm wing and the magnolia wing. On morning we saw an armadillo. I have never felt unsafe.

Agreed. I had a solo trip a few years ago and stayed at SOG for the very first time. I had no problem with the walk even at night by myself. Well other than the fact that after walking the parks all day I was pretty tired. I have yet to try to utilize the Shady Shuttle but I must try that in the future.

How is SOG in accommodating room requests? I know they are "only requests" however if you've made one, have you received the request?

Just priced a trip out for somebody and SOG and AStars worked out to exactly the same price. Which would be better for a couple without kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter